News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boki's Collection: A short goodbye (until we meet again) 3/7/23

Started by Bokisaurus, January 12, 2018, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Such a relief to see figures without absurd clown feet, for starters; then the paint, discretely applied, brings these to a satisfying state of completion. I particularly like your treatment of the Lythronax.

Shonisaurus

B @Bokisaurus The painted bases of the baryonyx and lythronax look great on you. You have a lot of creativity.

ceratopsian

B @Bokisaurus - in general terms, I much prefer bases to over-sized feet.  My goodness, though, what a huge improvement your painting has made!  The algae look was a real brain wave.

Now - a question for when you are not at work!  (Says one who is taking a short break from her own working at home!)  If you have a moment, can you explain what "dry brushing" actually is, please?

Bokisaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 17, 2020, 02:11:07 PM
B @Bokisaurus - in general terms, I much prefer bases to over-sized feet.  My goodness, though, what a huge improvement your painting has made!  The algae look was a real brain wave.

Now - a question for when you are not at work!  (Says one who is taking a short break from her own working at home!)  If you have a moment, can you explain what "dry brushing" actually is, please?
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian - I plan on posting a quick explanation of what dry-brushing is very soon😃

ceratopsian

B @Bokisaurus - thank you!  It's a term I have often seen but never understood.

Halichoeres

Those are such great accents to the plain CollectA bases. I especially love the slimy algae-covered stream bed. I can almost hear it squelch :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Now that I have a new computer, the tedious task of rebuilding the photo archive has started!
I got these figures a while back but could not post photos.
Some of the new 2020 Safari figures, I dint get all of them, I mostly got the ones I was interested the most.
[]
[]

I also got my very first RECUR figures! I have been debating for a long time about these figures, but having seen them on hand now, I like them a lot.
I started with these two, may slowly add some later.
If it has't been done yet, I may actually review these two figures for the blog ;D
[]

Thats it for now, its been slow few month due to finance and the Corona impact!
Stay safe and healthy everyone! ^-^

Bokisaurus

Oh yeah, with short travel. being allowed again, I was able to take this bad boy on the road for some photo op! ;D
[]

Shonisaurus

By the way Bokisaurus, how many dinosaurs and prehistoric animals do you have in your collection? You must have a huge collection.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 13, 2020, 06:58:20 PM
I also got my very first RECUR figures! I have been debating for a long time about these figures, but having seen them on hand now, I like them a lot.

Few Recurs are quite good.
Smilodon and Ouranosaurus that you have.
Even Iguanodon, Dimetrodon and some of the new marine reptiles.
Most of Recur extant animals are also very good, expecially from the sea line.
:)

Shonisaurus

In my case they are a collector of the Recur dinosaur figures and I can assure that they serve both for those of us who are collectors and for children. The majugasaurus is a good figure and the marine dinosaurs. Without a doubt, I am not exactly ashamed to admit that I am a collector of the Recur dinosaurs, they are more than acceptable figures for me, even superior to other toy dinosaur brands.

postsaurischian

Bokisaurus

Thanks everyone!
avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow - yeah, I really like a lot of the RECUR figures, only drawback are difficult y finding some as well as their price and size!
I really want some of the ceratopsians and marine reptiles 😃

Bokisaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 14, 2020, 08:36:42 PM
  :D That is a wonderful Papo Spinosaurus photo!

Thank you avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian 😃 the figure really comes alive in natural backdrops 😃

suspsy

B @Bokisaurus, I'd certainly enjoy reading reviews of those Recur toys. Ever since I became a dad, I've gained a much greater appreciation for them. They may look crude compared to the toys from CollectA, PNSO, Safari, and Schleich, but none of those ones can stand up to rough toddler play like Recur's can!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bokisaurus

The second group release from CollectA. I love them all!

Allosaurus and Mapusarus
Both of them are standard size fires so they are smaller. I actually like them, a lot, specially the Allosaurus.
[]

The beautiful Microraptor. Stunning colors that are very hard to capture in photos, the iridescence is amazing and had to be seen in person to really appreciate it as it changes colors as you move it around, easily my favorite version of this species.
I will save my comments about this figure as well as take better photos of it for my review of it.
[]

The beautiful invertebrates Pleuroceras and Redlichia Rex Trilobite. Both beautiful and big figures that are packed with lots of details and colors.
The trilobite has subtle colors that really shows in person. Really love the details on both figures.
[]

And the most impressive and my favorite of them all, the HUGE LISOWEICIA BORJANI! This figure is simply amazing and. much bigger than I thought.
Nice detailing and colors. I was excited about this figure and it didn't disappoint at all.
The sculpting is just amazing and beautiful. I really hope CollectA will continue this trend!
[]
[]

Last, who would have thought I would need another Megalodon? ;D
I have to admit, I almost bypassed this figure, but I am now glad I didn't. It is beautiful and very detailed, and huge! In fact, I like this one more than the PNSO which I like a lot.
There are subtle differences in the body and fins on the figure that sets it apart from the majority of MEgalodon figures out there.
I really was surprised by how well this figure turned out.The paint job is nice and clean even on those small teeth.
[]

With just a handful left to go, I'm really impressed buy CollectA's offerings this year. I hope that they continue to produce obscure species. I really hope these unusual ones will sell good/well so we can see more in the future.
Cheers, hope everyone is staying safe!
:D

ceratopsian

I had absolutely no idea that Lisowicia was that big, so thanks for the comparison shots. I am forewarned!  It looks every bit as good as the promo photos. An exciting model!

Faelrin

These figures look absolutely wonderful. Congrats on getting them. Thanks for the comparisons as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

I second your opinion on those 2020 CollectA-saurs. They are easily some of the best work from the company.

I was surprised at how much I liked the Microraptor when I saw it in person. The paint scheme is easily the best we've seen from plastic Microraptor figures, truly something spectacular. Still wish it the sculpt didn't look like a mangly chicken though, with the exposed digits and such. Though having it in hand, it's definitely not as noticeable under all that paint.

The Allosaurus, Pleuroceras, Redlichia and Lisowicia are all worthy additions to any collection. Definitely worth supporting just to send the message to CollectA that people want (and are willing to buy) obscure non-dinosaur prehistoric figures.

The Mapusaurus however I'm still iffy about. Really wish the sculptor didn't base the figure off outdated skeletal. Which results in an oddly lanky reconstruction with a VERY long tail. The calf muscles could've been a bigger as well. Hopefully someday another company will tackle this often overshadowed genus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: