News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Concavenator on June 01, 2022, 01:36:47 AMSo I just had this idea...

avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna has a Tyrannosaurus in their plans... They released 2 colour variants for their Triceratops... What about a Prehistoric Planet colour variant? I think they would probably consider it, the Prehistoric Planet Tyrannosaurus has a nice, naturalistic colour scheme. This came to my mind after I remembered the PP repainted 2020 Wilson, and I thought it would be great to have a figure that was originally painted like that.

Interestingly, Eofauna would probably be the best chance for something like this to happen, because David Silva said he would steer away from pop culture inspiration for the Fans' Choice tyrannosaurs, so the prospect of a Fans' Choice BotM Tyrannosaurus, as of right now, is out of the question.

Let's be honest, everyone knows Tyrannosaurus figures sells like hotcakes. With that in mind, why not take the most advantage out of this fact and release a colour variant that will attract a lot of people? It would all be advantages, plus they have already launched more than a single colour variant for a figure, and I think this case would be very fitting.
I think EoFauna prefers coming up with their own designs
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Concavenator

avatar_Over9K @Over9K yep, the BotM T.rex is close, but I imagined there would be people who would like the exact same coloration.

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 sure, that's how it's been until now. I meant a second colour variant, like they did with the Triceratops. Maybe one variant would have the colour scheme they come up with, and the other the Prehistoric Planet colour scheme. The PP colour scheme could also pass up as a female, with a duller colour scheme.

suspsy

I too would much prefer Eofauna to come up with their own colour schemes rather than doing homages. And like the Triceratops, I suspect that the T. imperator will come in at least two versions.

I just hope it stands up properly.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Agreed avatar_suspsy @suspsy, I more so worried about stability rather than the colorscheme.
Hopefully a clear support rod with come with the figure if anything.

Has eofauna even mentioned a possible date for this Tyrannosaurus?

Darko2300

avatar_Over9K @Over9K I don't really see it as close at all, actually. The patterning? Yes. But the color? Not really. It's far more red and orange than cream and brown.

Concavenator

Quote from: Bread on June 01, 2022, 01:21:45 PMHopefully a clear support rod with come with the figure if anything.

That would be ideal. Otherwise, if they don't include anything anything like that, its stability will be a lottery, some will stand and some won't. I get it, companies always designs figures in a way that would theoretically stand (the prototype) but then the figures are exposed to warping afterwards due to a number of reasons: shipping, higher temperatures...

The Eofauna Giganotosaurus prototype surely was able to stand, some people who bought it also said they hadn't had stability issues, but on the other hand, some people had stability issues (me included). Mine stood fine on its own for about 6 months, after that it no longer was able to stand. If they don't make any changes in that regard compared to their Giganotosaurus I expect the stability of the figure to be same.

Quote from: Bread on June 01, 2022, 01:21:45 PMHas eofauna even mentioned a possible date for this Tyrannosaurus?

Not yet, so far they've only shown those pics of Sue's skull and announced that they were working on the figure, nothing about release dates at the moment. If I were to guess I would expect it to be released late this year or early next year, probably around the same time as the Diplodocus and the Konobelodon. Though this is just speculation, Eofauna themselves are also busy with research and other tasks, like publication of books, and more, so who knows. I bet they aren't that active when it comes to releasing new figures for that reason. I'm fine waiting though, the figures are definitely worth it and that's all that matters to me. Not so long ago, Carnegie also released very few figures per year (during the last 3 years, only 1) anyways.

Duna

By the way, the book of sauropods in Spanish version has just been released!  ^-^ The editorial is Lynx, different from the other book about Theropods (which was Larousse).
It's not on Amazon yet but you can buy it in the editorial page: https://www.lynxeds.com/es/producto/records-y-curiosidades-de-los-dinosaurios/

I just LOVE the front cover!  ^-^

ceratopsian

I like the cover too.  I also like very much that the artists are named prominently on the front cover.  They are not named there at all on the UK edition.

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 02, 2022, 08:27:02 AMI like the cover too.  I also like very much that the artists are named prominently on the front cover.  They are not named there at all on the UK edition.

The US edition names them too, how odd that the UK version doesn't! It seems only just given the prominence of the illustrations, without which I probably wouldn't even buy the book.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Renecito

Sue Tyrannosaurus step-by-step restoration.

Note: we found that at the rear end of the jaws there is not enough space to contain the outer skin folding in. So, the cheek extending down from the jugal is similar to what is found in living theropods.

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

suspsy

I'm really liking how the cheeks are covering the back of the jaws.

Carnoking

It would seem that Kiss' reign was short lived indeed. Can't wait to see this one painted! Crossing my fingers for a Saurian  style color scheme!

Lynx

Quote from: Carnoking on November 07, 2022, 01:06:20 PMIt would seem that Kiss' reign was short lived indeed. Can't wait to see this one painted! Crossing my fingers for a Saurian  style color scheme!

Would not say it is over just yet. I am sure that roaring pose will make a couple people not so fond of it. Or maybe they will make good counterparts, who knows?
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

I don't doubt there will be plenty of folks out there who prefer Kiss either for posing versatility, paint, or overall aesthetics but in my book this is shaping up to be the (current) definitive rex model, at least in regards to sculpt. I suppose they could ruin it with a gaudy paint job but fingers crossed this one's more in line with their Atlasaurus than their Giganotosaurus.   

SidB

This is as close to rex perfection as I've ever seen. I'm happy to have acquired 'Kiss', which displays well with my PNSO rexes, their lack of lips not withstanding. But this seems to be the ultimate one to date. The fixed pose of the open mouth has one major advantage - no seams, which to me more than offsets the inflexibility implied by the decision to not choose the option of a variable position. I've got 'Kiss" and the PNSO's for that. I'm delighted with the research and work that Eofauna has put into this figure.

SidB

Quote from: Carnoking on November 07, 2022, 01:39:13 PMI don't doubt there will be plenty of folks out there who prefer Kiss either for posing versatility, paint, or overall aesthetics but in my book this is shaping up to be the (current) definitive rex model, at least in regards to sculpt. I suppose they could ruin it with a gaudy paint job but fingers crossed this one's more in line with their Atlasaurus than their Giganotosaurus.   
One could hope that they will market it with, say, two color schemes, like their Triceratops. That would make it more likely to appeal to a wider range of collectors.

Bread

*Sighs*

Maybe I am the only one so far disappointed by this.

I love the sculpt, the detail looks intricate and will look great amongst other highly detailed figures; however, the pose ruins it for me.

I dislike the roaring pose. Maybe I can make an exception for this one, as both of my only 2 Tyrannosaurus have pretty neutral poses, so this can be the outlier. I do wish the jaw was articulated as a Tyrannosaurus scenting the air would be lovely and different amongst other(s). However, I see why there is no articulated jaw due to their Giganotosaurus receiving heavy criticism for its jaw articulation.

I am curious to know their color choices, I do like their encyclopedia's portrayal of the genus. Similar colors would be nice.

Carnoking

It's interesting that only the trikes got the dual paint job treatment. Then again, their pose felt currated to have the two versions (or two of one paint scheme) play off of each other in a sparring stance. I suppose the roaring open mouth of this rex could be conducive to something similar

suspsy

An articulated jaw wouldn't be feasible on this T. rex due to the cheeks. Would look pretty bad if they tried.

Duna

Agree. Those cheeks are so nice that an articulated jaw would make them less noticeable. I don't mind at all if the mouth is open. I have my "Kiss" with its mouth perfectly closed and it's amazing. I don't think Eofauna's tyrannosaurus would be as large and heavy as Kiss. I don't mind scales, but tyrannosarus has to be thic.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: