News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 26, 2020, 08:41:50 PM
Nice Christmas additions everyone! ;D
Well, I finally got these today :)

A cold quarter pounder from McDonald's versus a freshly cooked prime rib.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: suspsy on December 27, 2020, 03:05:00 AM

A cold quarter pounder from McDonald's versus a freshly cooked prime rib.
In my opinion, it's a hot Wendy's baconator vs a freshly cooked prime rib. They are both pretty good, one is bigger and much better priced, one is more quality but in scale and accurate. Depend one what kind of guy you are, both are great

Crackington

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 26, 2020, 11:07:17 PM
avatar_Crackington @Crackington - a nice bevy of animals. I hadn't seen the plant book before. How interesting!  Thank you for alerting me to its existence!

Thanks avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian glad to have helped! The book is newly published and I first heard of it in Mike Fredericks' review in Prehistoric Times.

I'm reading it now and it's very good outlining the key moments in plant evolution and discussing them through the prism of key fossils. Many of these are from the Natural History Museum collections, but there are also fossils from around the world (lots of photos and palaeo art).

I'd recommend the book - not sure where it was purchased from as it's a present, but you could probably get it from the NHM online shop if you'd rather Mr Bezos didn't get a cut 😉!

ceratopsian

avatar_Crackington @Crackington - thank you.  My eye must have skated over it when I read my PH.  That's the problem with formulaic titles that copy that British Museum original "History of the World in 100 Objects" style!  I tracked it down at Blackwell's for only 50 pence more than Amazon and I prefer to support a proper bookshop.  No sign of it at the NHM's on-line shop but who knows how they would go about re-stocking in Tier 4.

Duna

I have not put pictures of my last acquisitions ...

Just after Alcaiceria opened again its online shop, I ordered this figures in May:

And more recently, I order little by little some of the new PNSO. As I only collect common classic dinosaurs (and some special ones like the Bajadasaurus, or Qianzhousaurus), I'm not interested in the rest.
Unfortunately, the first I ordered in October, the Lambeosaurus, is lost in Madrid in "Post Hell" ...  :'(

I'm quite deceptioned about the Spinosaurus. Too small for its price and those arms .... I like the rest a lot.

This two are for me the best of PNSO at the moment, along with Sede the ankylosaurus. Miragaia is a total beauty.

The other figures I'm buying are some vintage figures to complete my collections from 1993 (my first figures) which were not complete.

I completed the 1993 Official Danone Jurassic Park hard plastic collection, which I was missing 5 of the 12 and I was very lucky to get a few very rare color versions of some of them:

I also completed the 1993 UKRD medium sized figures, which I only had 3 of the 12. They were not hard to get.

And I also got myself in completing the 1993 UKRD small sized figures collection (a mini version of the others). I had none of them 30 years ago, but two years ago I got 3. It was quite hard to complete, specially one of the figures, the triceratops. I'm trying to get the second paint version of them, too.

More info in my collection post.

EmperorDinobot

It is my dream to acquire the full set of UKRD mini dinosaurs. I have a few of them. Among my first dinosaur figures.

That PNSO Miragaia is a thing of sheer beauty. I hate to sound rather crass, but I have strange feeling for that figure. I might have to start collecting PNSO figures from now on. I only have the Eurhinosaurus. Or was it Excalibosaurus? I'll look for it.

I have amassed quite the impressive haul this year, but have been unable to post them. I'll work on that tonight, as a matter of fact, since I'm literally out of a job.

Duna

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on December 27, 2020, 07:42:28 PM
It is my dream to acquire the full set of UKRD mini dinosaurs. I have a few of them. Among my first dinosaur figures.
I can help you sending what you are missing, if you wish. I have some spare figures of the first version and I wish to make others happy too.

AcroSauroTaurus

Papo Limited Edition Spinosaurus.

I am the Dinosaur King!

Stegotyranno420

Shonisaurus

B @Bokisaurus My congratulations on your new acquisitions sincerely it is perhaps the best tyrannosaurus made to date the PNSO tyrannosaurus on the other hand my congratulations on your new Rebor figures and the PNSO pachrhinosaurus. Nice pickup.

avatar_Crackington @Crackington My congratulations on your various acquisitions of prehistoric animals and also on the book.

avatar_Duna @Duna and avatar_AcroSauroTaurus @AcroSauroTaurus As I mentioned before in other threads, my congratulations on your new acquisitions.

Halichoeres

avatar_Crackington @Crackington I've had my eye on that plant book myself! I've got a book shop gift card burning a hole in my pocket, this could be a good use of it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Crackington

Thanks avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus - I'm enjoying the models and book, hopefully the Collecta Mini mammals etc will appear in the DinoToyCollector site soon (thanks to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres who I am sending some snsps).

The plant fossil book is a very good read so far and the author is referencing recent discoveries, so is up to date. avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - I don't think it's quite that reference book for prehistoric plants you'd hoped for on your unique species thread, but would still recommend it. We need more of these.....

Duna

It's not a "new" adquisition, but hidden in a box in my wardrobe ...  :D Yesterday I was looking for a phone charger when I came across something that has been mine for 27 years ... my "101 dinosaurios" trading card complete collection, in fact the only trading card collection I have ever completed in my entire life ... :D

It's a lovely compilation of how dinosaurs were represented 30-40 years ago, you will recognize most John Sibbick's wonderful artwork. I think the collection was published in 1992 or 1993, with a blue slim cardboard box to keep the cards in. Each package of 5 cards cost in those days 25 pesetas, about 0,15€. In the back of each card there is a short explanation of the most interesting characteristics of the dinosaur (and non dinosaurs, of course), along with its maximum size, height, weight, aggresiveness and defensive abilities.

Just a few of them:

Hope you like it!

Faelrin

avatar_Duna @Duna Good finding that. Those are lovely. I'm seeing some dinosaurs here I've never seen older takes on before. Really interesting. Also is it just me or is that T. rex look surprisingly modern? Look how bulky it is.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

Crackington

avatar_Duna @Duna -  did you find the phone charger? 😉

Wonderful find in any case.

RobinGoodfellow

avatar_Duna @Duna  ..now you have a new challenge in front of you:  to find a toy figure for each and every card..  ;)
;D

Duna

Quote from: Crackington on December 29, 2020, 05:32:46 PM
avatar_Duna @Duna -  did you find the phone charger? 😉
What phone charger?  :))

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 29, 2020, 05:52:47 PM
avatar_Duna @Duna  ..now you have a new challenge in front of you:  to find a toy figure for each and every card..  ;)
;D
What's a podokesaurus or a pheadrolosaurus??!  :o

Quote from: Faelrin on December 29, 2020, 04:28:21 PM
avatar_Duna @Duna Good finding that. Those are lovely. I'm seeing some dinosaurs here I've never seen older takes on before. Really interesting. Also is it just me or is that T. rex look surprisingly modern? Look how bulky it is.
In fact it's an albertosaurus, it has the same colors of the drawing of John Sibbick in the Encyclopaedia of dinosaurs, but in the same posture as the daspletosaurus of the same page of the book. The daspletosaurus is also exact to the book but in a different posture.

Searching a bit I've found almost all the cards in this web, so if you like to take a look at a few more, here you can:

https://www.dinofan.com/Collectibles/CollectiblesSetDetail.aspx?IID=1912

I have also discovered that some surprinsingly similar cards were released at about the same time by ORBIS, in at least 4 countries/languages. The artwork is very similar to John Sibbick's and so to the "101 dinosaurios" collection, but it's not the same, but is obviously inspired in a high grade (most dinosaurs share the same colors but with posture changed, and some with little modifications). The series consist in 96 cards with a quite distracting logo placed on the drawing.
https://www.dinofan.com/Collectibles/CollectiblesSetDetail.aspx?IID=117

Halichoeres

Oh, that's cool! I never had these, but I have the DinoCardz set which came out around the same time, with art by Dave Carrs. http://www.dinosaurs-on-stamps.info/stamps/dinocardz_01.html
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Duna

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 29, 2020, 10:57:01 PM
Oh, that's cool! I never had these, but I have the DinoCardz set which came out around the same time, with art by Dave Carrs. http://www.dinosaurs-on-stamps.info/stamps/dinocardz_01.html
Oh, those are lovely, too!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: