News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsTwentyBelow

Been a while since I commented in this thread so I'm gonna get a bit creative...

I'm on a bit of a dinosaur kick right now, and this week I have picked up in-store:

- Jurassic World Apatosaurus on sale at Target for $27.49
- Jurassic World Dino Escape blind bag containing a mini Bumpy the Ankylosaurus at a different Target (on a work trip)
- Schleich Oviraptor at Launching Success Learning Store in Bellingham, WA (same work trip)
- CollectA Lisowicia at Yeager's Sporting Goods in Bellingham, WA on sale for $23.36 (same work trip)

Also during fieldwork in Larrabee State Park this week, I acquired GPS points on some Chuckanut Formation sandstone outcroppings inside the project area that contained plant fossils and lenses of low-grade coal. Excited to be able to include a little blurb on the region's paleobotany, have them on my finalized maps, and include my photos in my company's otherwise archaeology-focused report to Washington State Parks!

In between fieldwork and scouting out the local Bellingham retailers for prehistoric figures, I also visited the campus of Western Washington University to see the geological displays in their Environmental Sciences Building, including some awesome local Eocene trackways from Gastornis-like birds, and hand prints from a crocodile from around Mt. Baker, among other specimens. All of similar age (Eocene) to the plant fossils and coal I documented at work.

And then in the mail, possibly arriving starting tomorrow (all from different sellers), I have:

- Tomy ANIA Fukuisaurus (gotta admit, the blog review sold me and I think it is Tomy's best dinosaur sculpt overall in this series, with the least offensive articulation)
- CollectA 2021 Megalosaurus
- CollectA 2021 Neovenator

Overall, I have had quite the ancient week!

SidB

Nothing quite like an occasional bit of 'retail therapy.'

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: SidB on October 15, 2021, 02:41:55 AM
Nothing quite like an occasional bit of 'retail therapy.'

Agreed.

That Lisowicia is a real chunk! It reminds me of a shaak from Star Wars. My first dicynodont. I remember getting to play with a friend's brother's Tyco Placerias as a kid and thinking it was awesome because I had never seen it at a store in the Smithsonian packaging but knew it was somehow from that set.

Psittacoraptor

Lots of great hauls, everyone.

I got two figures each from my two favorite dino toy companies this month. The PNSOs I bought myself and the BOTMs were a surprise present from a generous friend! PNSO's Borealopelta looks better in person than I imagined. The Ankylosaurus is not as good as the first batch but still a nice figure.

I'm not a huge fan of the BOTM ceratopsian colour schemes, but the Zuniceratops stands out from the rest of the line for me. It's a very colourful but still naturalistic looking figure, I love it! The Dromaeosaurus has been on my wishlist for a long time. It contrasts nicely with the Velociraptor and Zhenyuanlong I already had. Super happy with these.

Concavenator

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor Top tier haul right there, a great selection for sure. Despite the Ankylosaurus having received a downgrade in paint application, it's still a formidable figure in its own right.

UK

Not everybody's cup of tea but I'm blown away by the four timpo figures I received today.

Bear in mind these are over 60 years old when you consider accuracy. I have to say their previous owner must have cherished them as they look brand new.

The stegosaurus in this condition is a veritable treat and very rare.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor  My congratulations on your new purchases, you have obtained a substantial batch of new dinosaur figures.

avatar_UK @UK  congratulations, vintage and retro figurines are truly exciting to collect.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: UK on October 16, 2021, 10:38:36 PM
Never seen a Timpo Stegosaurus until now, not even in my list reference.
Had to search one to find if indeed this is Timpo.
You scorred a good one this time.

Duna

Wow avatar_UK @UK congrats on those Timpo, specially on that Stegosaurus in such a good condition. I only own a Brontosaurus, please remember me if you ever find more Timpos.

I myself got these three beauties that had never been played with, they are as good as new:

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Duna on October 17, 2021, 03:25:07 PM
Wow avatar_UK @UK congrats on those Timpo, specially on that Stegosaurus in such a good condition. I only own a Brontosaurus, please remember me if you ever find more Timpos.

I myself got these three beauties that had never been played with, they are as good as new:

My congratulations, those Invictas repaints are fabulous, although I have no intention of looking for them on eBay for example, out of curiosity where did you find them? I like them more than the monochrome Invicta figures. Invicta dinosaur models covered in gold leaf are also interesting, although I think those are more difficult to find and obviously much more expensive from an economic point of view, not only because of the rarity but also because of the material used.

Duna

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 17, 2021, 03:28:21 PM
My congratulations, those Invictas repaints are fabulous, although I have no intention of looking for them on eBay for example, out of curiosity where did you find them? I like them better than the monologue Invicta figures. Invicta dinosaur models covered in gold leaf are also interesting, although I think those are more difficult to find and obviously much more expensive from an economic point of view, not only because of the rarity but also because of the material used.
Thank you avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I bought all the three from a French seller but I had the help of another French eBay seller (a nice person I only knew of having bought from him some Starlux and agreed to help me with the purchase, so I bought and sent the figures to his address and then he re-shipped them to me). I'm very lucky to have found some many nice sellers that don't mind helping me with other purchases. Of course I have offered to help them in any Spanish article they'd want to buy in the future. Favors are never forgotten and always paid.

At first I only collected the monochrome hard plastic versions, but a Triceratops dropped in a cheap lot I bought here in Wallapop. A painted Invicta Triceratops in Spain?  :o I've never thought that I could buy one here!
And then, the Pandora box opened: it was so so nice, so wonderfully painted, that I new I couldn't stop until I bought all of them.  :))

Last year I was totally convinced (or at least that was my intention) that I had no interest in the painted versions, that the monochrome hard plastic were better, more vintage, the original ..., that in them the sculpt could be better appreciated and so... you know ::) .... I was wrong. The painted versions are way better than the plastic ones. I knew that from the first I had in my hands. Much, much better. But the top paint applications are the scelidosaurus, pteranodon and the small glyptodon. Such a delicacy and taste ...

For satisfying your curiosity, I bought 4 of them in Spain, another 4 come from France, and the rest, obviously, from United Kingdom (eBay). I recently bought a painted plesiosaurus from a collector in the US. Most of them are quite expensive because the sellers know what they are selling, so I spend a lot of time searching. I'm still missing a few, but I won't lose hope to get all of them one day.

By the way, I think there is only one set of gold leaf covered Invictas in the world and it's in hands of Invicta hunter forum member if I remember well.

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Thanks! Yes, they're four great figures. I'm enjoying the Zuniceratops a lot more than I expected. It's so much easier to play around with and to pose than the raptors, since it doesn't need a rod to stand. I'm thinking of getting another BOTM ceratopsian now, don't want this little one to be all by itself.

avatar_UK @UK avatar_Duna @Duna I know nothing about retro toys, but congrats on getting something so old and rare in such a good condition!

UK

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on October 17, 2021, 02:22:40 PM
Quote from: UK on October 16, 2021, 10:38:36 PM
Never seen a Timpo Stegosaurus until now, not even in my list reference.
Had to search one to find if indeed this is Timpo.
You scorred a good one this time.

Thank you avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio.

To place in context I've seen more WWD Ornithocheirus figures than complete Timpo Stegosaurus in good condition.

They are great, came into production more than 60 years ago.

UK

Quote from: Duna on October 17, 2021, 03:25:07 PM

Those figures look immense.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Excellent find on those perfect painted Invictas avatar_Duna @Duna
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Concavenator

avatar_Duna @Duna Congrats! To be honest I'm not really well versed on vintage brands like Invicta, but even I can acknowledge that you're very lucky to get those... I identify the Invicta Muttaburrasaurus and Glyptodon, but what is the other figure? And yeah, they look to be in great condition.

Roselaar

Got myself a big bad bloody Carnotaurus:

Gothmog the Baryonyx

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator that's the Scelidosaurus

Congrats on your Toro avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar My congratulations on your new carno another figure to add to your collection.

Thialfi

Can't possibly comment on all the new acquisitions, but keep sharing everyone, always lovely to see how our collections are expanding! 😍

Very happy to own these - a first for me in terms of prehistoric turtles, and a lovely new addition to my mammoth herd.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: