News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Slender man, chewpacabra, and yeti
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Safari has just revealed some new cryptid toys at SDCC: a Yeti, Mothman, and a Cryptozoology toob. Mothman looks great, but the Yeti looks too much like Marvel's Wendigo minus the long tail. The toob features Nessie, Bigfoot, a jackalope, a furry trout, and a kraken.

Stay alert, they very well might be revealing some prehistoric figures over the next few days!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pachyrhinosaurus

Yeti was my first thought when I saw the tease, but I'm a bit disappointed with it. I think Safari would have done better doing something more naturalistic akin to the new Matterhorn yeti in Disneyland.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

stargatedalek

I can't find the photos, don't generally keep up with comic con stuff so have no idea where to look and just searching safari sdcc got nothing. Can anyone post them here?

It sounds like the new toob might be a scaled down re-release of the old one with the coelacanth removed.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on July 18, 2019, 02:33:17 AM
Safari has just revealed some new cryptid toys at SDCC: a Yeti, Mothman, and a Cryptozoology toob. Mothman looks great, but the Yeti looks too much like Marvel's Wendigo minus the long tail. The toob features Nessie, Bigfoot, a jackalope, a furry trout, and a kraken.

Stay alert, they very well might be revealing some prehistoric figures over the next few days!

Thanks for the suspsy information. I will be aware of the news of Safari 2020. I am sure that the dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals by Safari will not be indifferent to any of the members of the forum.

suspsy

Toasaurus

is this thing you said that safari ltd might reveal prehistoric figures in a few days real or speculation?

Faelrin

More pics here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Cd5jMnesN/ and here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0CUJ9gn3Ae/

Glad to see it is a Yeti and Mothman, but nothing new as far as prehistoric stuff goes from the looks of it. Oh well, only a few months away from when they usually reveal stuff, so we'll just have to keep waiting for now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

BlueKrono

I have a safari toob that had a furry trout, kraken, nessie and coelacanth at least. What was that one? I also came by that Nessie in two different colors - green and blue. It would be really dumb if this one was just a lighter shade of blue. The coelacanth looks exactly the same.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

"Mothman" has a bat face and is holding a weapon. I get cryptids aren't real, but to be quite frank from Safari ltd. I expect a level of naturalism in design that isn't surpassed by Dungeons and Dragons. If they're really going to try and push a new cryptid theme instead of mixing them among the generic fantasy fanfare I don't think it's unfair to expect them to be distinct from the fantasy offerings.

suspsy

Quote from: Toasaurus on July 18, 2019, 06:33:32 PM

is this thing you said that safari ltd might reveal prehistoric figures in a few days real or speculation?

Pure speculation and hope at the moment.

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 18, 2019, 06:58:24 PM
I have a safari toob that had a furry trout, kraken, nessie and coelacanth at least. What was that one? I also came by that Nessie in two different colors - green and blue. It would be really dumb if this one was just a lighter shade of blue. The coelacanth looks exactly the same.

Yeah, it's exactly the same Toob but with new paint jobs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

so those 3 cryptids are Comic-con exclusives? hmm not crazy about them getting into the exclusives racket... hope they stick to to the fantasy figures for that, although I do collect some of those.

suspsy

No, those are totally not Con-exclusive; they're just debuting at the Con. They'll be available everywhere in time.

Ravonium

Glad to see that they're continuing with the cryptid line. The Mothman looks alright enough (although I'm probably saying that because I've wanted a Mothman figure for a while), but I agree with the other posters that the Yeti looks too much like something from their fantasy line. What's even worse is that their toob Yeti is actually quite natural-looking.

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 18, 2019, 07:48:11 PM
"Mothman" has a bat face and is holding a weapon.

That's not a weapon it's holding in the FB picture; it's its left arm from a weird angle (as the photos on Instagram show). Not to say I like the arms though; this just shows how goofy they look.

terrorchicken

oh good to know suspsy!  :)

getting back on topic I hope we get more than just one prehistoric mammal from Safari next year.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 18, 2019, 02:46:49 AM
Yeti was my first thought when I saw the tease, but I'm a bit disappointed with it. I think Safari would have done better doing something more naturalistic akin to the new Matterhorn yeti in Disneyland.

My favorite Yeti ever, but then again, I grew up terrified by it, so I may be biased.  ;)

suspsy

Well, it looks like Safari is holding off on revealing their new dinosaurs for now. Hopefully the time will come sooner than later.

Ravonium

I wonder how they're going to reveal the dinosaurs this year... ???

tanystropheus

Why does the Yeti look like a werewolf?  8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: