News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on September 26, 2018, 07:34:10 AM
QuoteAnd an elasmosaurus

But we already have a really nice Safari Elasmosaurus that was just released a few years ago...

The paint job is unflattering. Perhaps, they should do something reminiscent of the Tylosaurus repaint.

Daspletotyrannus

On Facebook I saw the new 2019 Spinosaurus, Stegosaurus,  and Allosaurus in the Facebook shop area on the Safari Ltd page.

Allosaurus
https://facebook.com/commerce/products/2066050013461074

Spinosaurus
https://facebook.com/commerce/products/2359245590759366

Stegosaurus
https://facebook.com/commerce/products/1594333737339288

DinoToyForum

Image links to some of the Facebook pics:

Allosaurus

Spinosaurus

Stegosaurus

MLMjp

:o :o :o :o :o

Allosaurus, amazing.

Spinosaurus, looks good but damn, why the had to give it a swimming posture...

Stegosaurus, love the sculpt, don't like the colors.

Shonisaurus

Thanks for the links, avatar_Daspletotyrannus @Daspletotyrannus  the three figures are one of a kind awesome!

The allosaurus Safari 2019 is the allosaurus that I have always wanted, it is the most realistic of all those that exist in the market and otherwise very detailed. It is by far the best allosaurus that exists today in the dinosaur toy market.

Safari 2019 stegosaurus I like very much is very cool but I'm not used to this form of interpretation of that figure, his plates and his position are for me a novelty anyway is one of the best, if not the best, also that exists in the market.

As far as the Safari 2019 spinosaurus is concerned, gorgeus is impressive and is in a swimming position. It will make a good pair with the rest of the spinosaurs that I have in my collection. He is an extremely dramatic figure in regards to perfection and perfection in the finish and especially in his dynamic posture.

What I like most about these three figures is that they are in a dynamic position, their colors without being strident are beautiful and they are very far from the conservative colors of other companies. Honestly they are some works of luxury, some masterpieces. And I thought that in this year together they would reveal one or two more dinosaurs by Safari and from what I have seen has exceeded my expectations, three more dinosaur figures have been revealed this year.

They honestly outperform their predecessors in both the Carnegie brand and the Safari brand, although we also have to take into account the context of that era whose figures surpass the dozen or so years at best.

It has been a great year for Safari. Magnificent revelations. I am very happy with this company and it shows that it is one of the best toy dinosaur companies but it is the best one that exists today.

By the way, is the sculptor of these beauties Doug Watson? His figures are as I have already repeated works of art from the paleoartistic point of view.

Jose S.M.

I hate to say it but I'm not crazy about Stegosaurus overall, I had very high expectations for it. And the Allosaurus will need a repaint for me. The pose of Spinosaurus is interesting but looks a bit funny for someone who doesn't get right away that is supposed to be swimming hehe

DinoToyForum

This T. rex is also listed on Safari Ltds's Facebook page. I don't immediately recognise it, is it new for 2019?

Jose S.M.

Looks similar to this https://store.safariltd.com/collections/wild-safari-prehistoric-world/products/wild-safari-prehistoric-world-tyrannosaurus-rex-figurines-278929

I don't know if there's just a repaint or some retooling of the sculpt too. Or if it's something new based o that, which would be really weird.

Another weird thing is the price of that Stegosaurus, it's the same as the 2017 Tyrannosaurus.

Faelrin

If I'm being honest, I'm not a huge fan of the color schemes on any of these, like I was for the first batch. Something about the black and white pattern on the Allosaurus just makes it look like it's covered in some kind of tribal war paint. The Stegosaurus one appeals to me the most out of these and looks quite naturalistic, but I feel like the yellow on the sides is a bit bright on it. I do like the Spinosaurus one's as well, but I do prefer the Schleich's darker duller color choices over this one's tiger like color scheme (although it is similar to the previous one they have, but more naturalistic). Though like with the Parasaurolophus from 2017, maybe they'll grow on me. The Dimetrodon from last year sort of is as well, even if I'm not hugely fond of the red stripes on the sail (or the yellow. I just don't like too much yellow I guess).

The sculpts look really good though (even if I'm not totally keen on a swimming pose for Spinosaurus, and a bit skeptical of it having near identical scales and scutes as a crocodile, which CollectA's and Schleich's new one also have in common).  I'm glad the Allosaurus has lips, and it looks like it has the enlarged claw (I hope so). The Spinosaurus seems pretty similar to the new Schleich one, even with the crocodilian scales and scutes on it, but does not suffer from the shrinkwrapping as the Schleich one does. I'm really glad to see a modern take on the Stegosaurus, with the longer neck and such.

I can only hope the Spinosaurus is in scale with the Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus from before, as that would justify the price for me. I really hope the Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, and Camarasaurus are in scale, or close to scale. I mean the Tyrannosaurus, Ankylosaurus, and Triceratops were. I feel like these should be as well, and maybe additionally be in scale with the 2010 Apatosaurus.

Here's the prices for all the figures as well:
Woolly Rhino: $10.99
Camarasaurus: $18.99
Citipati: $11.99
Allosaurus: $14.99
Carnotaurus: $13.99
Spinosaurus: $24.99
Stegosaurus: $24.99 (Unless this thing is huge, I'm hoping that was a mistake).
(Strangely the Styracosaurus and Prestosuchus is missing).

Anyways if I'm being honest, I'm slightly disappointed with these three, but mostly due to my high expectations (and slightly after waiting a while for these species to be remade), plus with the existing alternatives on the market that I'm fond of, as well as the high price tags. While the sculpts are definitely the most accurate out there currently (although the Spinosaurus has tough competition with Schleich's new one and of course CollectA's previous ones), these prices are going to make it tough for me to get them any time soon, especially since the Stegosaurus and the Spinosaurus in particular would take up half an order for me if I intend to take advantage of the free shipping for orders over $40 (even if using one of the youtuber reviewers discount codes). In any case though I am glad all three of these species have been updated with more modern takes.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Brocc21

I actually really like the allosaurus and a little less the spinosaurus paints. But I think when we see these in hand or in different pictures they will be much better as often the case, for me at least. Heck even all the pictures on face book look really good. As the pictures here are a bit unflattering and disappointing, but I'd say next years line up is looking snazzy. If Battat craps out some new non electronic figures for terra I'll have a dinosaur induced heart attack. But that t.rex is a repaint of an older figure but it's still confusing me, collectors item?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Brocc21

And for me at least the bigfoot (as a sasquatch coinsure) is a certain pick up.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Irritation

Anyone knows what size they are?

empire3569

My thoughts on these new ones:

Allosaurus: awesome sculpt, of the main companies, this is easily the best Allosaurus model we have. Obviously not as detailed as the new W-Dragon one, but also a fraction of the cost. Much more accurate than the Papo model as well. Unfortunately, that pain scheme is very off-putting; not a big fan of the 90 degree angles on the tail patterning. Will definitely be picking this one up, and will also definitely be getting a repaint

Spinosaurus: probably my favorite of the three, looks very crocodilian and I like the color scheme. I actually don't mind the swimming pose, however I don't like it as much as the upcoming Schleich, so as crazy as this sounds, I will probably be getting the Schleich over this one

Stegosaurus: another very nice sculpt up to date with current understanding (throat armor, neck more in line with the spine), however like the Allosaurus, the paint scheme leaves a lot to be desired. I may be boring, but my all time favorite Stegosaurus color scheme is the green with brown/orange plates. Will probably pick this one up as well and repaint

Overall I think this is a pretty good lineup so far, I'm very excited for the Allosaurus/Camarasaurus duo as they look like they will go great together in a diorama! Those are probably my two most sought after figures from this batch. The Carnotaurus looks very nice as well

Halichoeres

Wow, this should satisfy a lot of people's wishlists! Definitely gonna go for that Allo and Stego. I'm especially pleased to have a really good Allosaurus, I've been itching to get rid of my Papo. Is it me or does that Stego look to be modeled after Sophie?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Wow, didn't expect three more reveals just yet.

The Stegosaurus and Allosaurus look great and I'm really excited for them. I've been waiting for an updated Stegosaurus ever since Sophie was unveiled and it will be pleasing to finally have a more accurate Stegosaurus. As for Allosaurus, there just hasn't been a single Allosaurus figure that I have been interested enough in/found good enough, so I am pleased to finally have one of these chaps too.
As for the Spinosaurus, I do really like it, and I think it funny that Safari and Schleich are both releasing fantastic Spinosaurused all at once.

In general, I am pleased with the quality and accuracy of the figures  and I'm happy that Safari Ltd are updating these popular genera, but on the other hand I can't help but wish they had slowed it down a bit, and also released a few more lesser known creatures (I'm still hoping for at least a couple).

Plus, if we're talking long term, how many more popular re-dos can there be now?
Deinonychus/Utahraptor
Albertosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
Pteranodon
Ichthyosaurus
Maiasaura/Edmontosaurus
Woolly Mammoth?
Hopefully, this means a few more lesser known critters will be making their appearance next time, though there'll probably end up being another T. rex. Well at least the 2019 line-up looks great.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 27, 2018, 02:16:44 AMI'm especially pleased to have a really good Allosaurus, I've been itching to get rid of my Papo. Is it me or does that Stego look to be modeled after Sophie?
I'll be getting rid of my Papo Allosaurus too and my CollectA Stegosaurus. And I also think the Stegosaurus is definitely modelled after Sophie.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Lizerd

People!11 hours until new figures are posted up!!
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Shadowknight1

I need to see a bigger picture of that Allosaurus to give a good judgment, but it looks pretty good.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

mgaguilar

HOLY...

2019 is going to be an absurd year for collectors and dino-fans alike. Especially Spinosaurus fans *cough* avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji
I am no doubt purchasing the two theropods. Can't wait to see a comparison of the Schleich and Safari scientific reconstructions. With Rebor also releasing theirs soon.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 26, 2018, 10:38:52 PM
This T. rex is also listed on Safari Ltds's Facebook page. I don't immediately recognise it, is it new for 2019?

This sculpt NEEDS to be retired already. And this is coming from the person that has ALL the paint variations.
Why can't they just repaint the newer Tyrannosaurus of the same size. That one could use a bit of nice touching up.

suspsy

Well, I got my wish! The new Stegosaurus looks fantastic, although I honestly would have preferred it in green.

The Allosaurus also looks superb, especially with those lips. Nifty stripe pattern too.

And wow, Spinosaurus! That was the biggest surprise tonight! Between the crocodilian-inspired skin, the swimming pose, and the yellow main colour, it looks very much like the 2015 CollectA version, doesn't it?

I'm assuming this is not the last of the assortment. Bring on the rest of the non-dinosaurs now!

Oh, and add me to the list of people disgusted by ANOTHER repaint of that tired old T. rex figure. Yeah, I get it, from a purely business perspective, it's cheap and easy to manufacture, and probably sells well, but still, I'd love to see that one retired.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: