News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgaguilar

Quote from: Takama on October 01, 2018, 12:17:22 AM
Quote from: mgaguilar on September 30, 2018, 11:57:25 PM
Quote from: Dan on September 30, 2018, 04:42:58 PM

What!!!! They're being released so early! Is this normal to have the 2019 figures appear for sale before 2019?

Safari has done this for the past couple years or so.

So yes, this is normal for safari

Sweet, my apologies avatar_Takama @Takama, I just joined this past May, ahaha.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 30, 2018, 08:50:28 PM
I find here in Canada a lot of people are put off by American flag waving and patriotism. Me personally I wish we had more of that up here with our own citizens.

A little something like this?  ;)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Faelrin on September 30, 2018, 08:57:42 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Hey do you know what's going on with the Allosurus color scheme? There's a bit of a difference between the left and right side, and I'm just wondering if it is intentional that they do not match?

Also is there way to ask Safari Ltd about the price on the new Stegosaurus (being as expensive as the Spinosaurus, but smaller then the Camarasaurus)?

Edit: Just saw on the last page of this thread the release schedule for the figures from Dan's Dinosaurs. At least I'll be able to order the first batch I planned on (Carnotaurus, Woolly Rhino, and Styracosaurus), minus the Pteranodon (assuming they are early or mid October, not late).

I have alerted Safari Ltd about the Allosaurus paint.

Various factors affect price for each piece, amount of material and ease of production including the complexity of the paint job and number of different colours used.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Brocc21 on September 30, 2018, 10:12:45 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Did you sculpt the bigfoot? It's a very nice figure coming from some one who has always ben intrigued by such a creature. And if so do you believe it exits?

No but I would have loved to have made it. Back in college I debated the existence of Bigfoot in a class. I was on the yes side. I would love it to be true. To me the Patterson film is still the most compelling evidence. Even though some people have claimed to have been behind it as a hoax and some modern day make up artists say they believe it was a suit no one today with today's much more advanced special effects and make up techniques has created a suit that could photograph that way with the equipment of the time. The people behind the supposed hoax said they used a gorilla suit from that time. One only has to look at the typical gorilla suit from back then to know that isn't true they had long shaggy fur and hung loose on the body. And if it was as simple as shaving one down let's see it.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 01, 2018, 04:23:09 AM
Quote from: Doug Watson on September 30, 2018, 08:50:28 PM
I find here in Canada a lot of people are put off by American flag waving and patriotism. Me personally I wish we had more of that up here with our own citizens.

A little something like this?  ;)

:))

tyrantqueen

I'm not even American and the dragon doesn't bother me at all. You can always vote with your wallet and chose not to purchase if you hate it.

Sim

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 28, 2018, 12:21:36 AM
The stego... I find its very horizontal posture a bit odd but I didn't know about this recent find it was based on. I dont see this new throat armor that everyone is talking about? I just see the usual  plates and spikes.

avatar_terrorchicken @terrorchicken, this photo shows the skeleton of Stegosaurus with the throat armour included: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Allosaurus_attacks_Stegosaurus.jpg

So, the throat armour of the new Safari Stegosaurus is the many small osteoderms on the underside of its head and neck.  They can be seen in photos of this figure on Safari's website: https://store.safariltd.com/collections/whats-new/products/stegosaurus

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 28, 2018, 12:21:36 AM
The ptero is fantastic, he'll make a nice pair with my Bullyland walking ptero(though I think the Bullyland one is a different species?)

Yes, the new Safari Pteranodon represents the longiceps species, while the non-flying Bullyland one represents the sternbergi species which is classified either in the genus Pteranodon or the genus Geosternbergia.  I'm not sure if there's a consensus on which genus sternbergi should be in.

Halichoeres

Thanks, Dan!

Mods: Might it be worth adding this release schedule to the front page of the thread for reference?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

MLMjp

Part of me wants to get that Carnotarus and that Styracosaurus as soon as they are released....But I think I have spend enough money on dinosaurs in the past months.....coughcoughJurassicWorldToyscoughcough

Patrx

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 01, 2018, 10:25:14 PMMods: Might it be worth adding this release schedule to the front page of the thread for reference?

Smart idea! Done.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 28, 2018, 09:41:26 PM
I checked my papers and I based the integument on the body and the plates on the 2010 paper by Christiansen & Tschopp on the integument of Hesperosaurus mjosi. The skin was described as having small polygonal tuberculate scales most of which were in the range of 4 to 7mm in diameter. There was evidence of two larger scales surrounded by smaller scales and those larger scales ranged from 20 x 15 mm to 10 x 8 mm.
At 1:35 scale the largest of the smaller scales would have been 0.2mm in diameter and the largest of the large scales would have been 0.5mm at its largest. So the scales that show on my model would most closely match the largest of the scales and I haven't made them as prominent as the scales on my Gryposaurus for example since the authors only discovered two and they weren't able to discern the arrangement of these larger structures. Needless to say at 1:35 scale the surface texture of the smaller and larger scales would be a moot point.
For the throat armour I referred to Ken Carpenter's 1997 paper on the body armour of Stegosaurus stenops.

Thanks for your in-depth reply, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson! :)  I'm really liking the 2019 Safari Stegosaurus, and I'm looking forward to getting it!  It looks amazing in the photos on Safari's website, and I expect it'll be even better when I'll be able to fully appreciate it in person.

Shonisaurus

Thanks to the explanation of Doug Watson I realized that this stegosaurus is the scientifically correct with the corresponding updates, I mistakenly thought that it was a somewhat strange stegosaurus but I see that it was not like that. Thanks to Doug's information I see that he was wrong.

ITdactyl

Wow... nearly 5 pages added to the thread (so much info to digest) since my last reading visit.

avatar_Sim @Sim , thanks for that reply.  That was a good read, and I appreciate that you shared the links as well.
In my mind it's still weird that Stegosaurus would have plates and spikes erupting from relatively smooth skin (albeit with tiny pebbly scales).  I've always had this vision that's similar to modern reptiles, where the scales would be progressively bigger and perhaps rougher looking the closer they get to the base of the plates/spikes.  I can't argue with fossilized remains though, especially those for hesperosaurus.

Big thanks also to avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson  for actively replying to this thread.  Always nice to read and know the artists' insights on a project.

Appalachiosaurus

I'd probably like Freedom Dragon more if he didn't look like those weird anthropomorphic airplanes from deviantart.

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on October 03, 2018, 06:34:52 AM

I'd probably like Freedom Dragon more if he didn't look like those weird anthropomorphic airplanes from deviantart.

oof and I thought I hated it before :/

Concavenator

I think there is a possibility that the Stegosaurus has the Camarasaurus' price.
As much as it probably is the best Stegosaurus figures now,the price is really weird.Same goes for the Camarasaurus,I don't understand how such a figure is only 19$.

If I were you and were interested in the Camarasaurus,I'd go ahead and preorder it right now.I just think the pricing is wrong.

Concavenator

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 30, 2018, 04:53:09 PM
I haven't been following this thread very closely- has a large picture of the Camara been shown? I'm interested in seeing how it compares to the old Carnegie :)

Customising the Allosaurus by replacing the claws might also be a fun project >:D

There is a review of it,if that's helpful:

https://youtu.be/dojguTnsnl8

It also compares it with the old Carnegie version.

Pd:Sorry for the double post  :-[

Shonisaurus

The camarasaurus of Safari 2019 is a masterpiece. The best camarasaurus made to date, regardless of the fact that few Camarasaurus have been manufactured in the toy market. His painting is exceptional and perfect and the details are perfect. What I have noticed in the promotional photos that the figure has abrasions, same may be factory defects (I hope not). In the event that he suffers abrasions just in case I'll put that Doug Watson masterpiece in a glass case. :)

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 01, 2018, 10:25:14 PM

Thanks, Dan!

Mods: Might it be worth adding this release schedule to the front page of the thread for reference?

Noticed that the Allosaurus is missing. I wonder if it has been pulled from the line-up due to the painting miscue.

suspsy

Say what? The Allosaurus is right there under January 2019.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: