News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Just got the Carnotaurus and Styracosaurus, wondering whether I should have a go at straightening the frill horns, has anyone else tried yet?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 19, 2019, 04:14:30 PM
Just got the Carnotaurus and Styracosaurus, wondering whether I should have a go at straightening the frill horns, has anyone else tried yet?

I'm not sure how straight they should be to be honest.  I feel like they wouldn't straighten up by much.

SidB

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 19, 2019, 04:18:36 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 19, 2019, 04:14:30 PM

I'm not sure how straight they should be to be honest.  I feel like they wouldn't straighten up by much.
I didn't bother with the frill horns on mine either, as I have the same impression.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Okay thanks, it's a shame because I think that's the one flaw with an otherwise perfect sculpt.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe Doug could say if hasn't already, how straight he intended them.  Personally I see ceratospian horns as variable even in the same species and do to age, injury outside effects.  A mountain variant might have more curved horns versus a plains one for example.

Dimitar_E

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2019, 02:05:37 AM
Maybe Doug could say if hasn't already, how straight he intended them.

Doug has posted the original sculpt in his collection thread. There is almost no bent at all, imho.

Concavenator

Does anyone know if the Allosaurus and Stegosaurus are taking so long to be released because all the models they had done have to be repainted according to the new versions?  ???

Shonisaurus

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator I do not know why the marketing of the latest Safari 2019 news is slowing down. That had not happened in previous years.

As I was told in two messages shop.modellpferdeversand.de and urzeitshop.de said figures will be available in March. Sincerely I prefer to order them in my case to Miron, because it does much more discount than shop.modellpferdeversand.de and I sincerely prefer in this case not pre-order them. In my case I prefer to wait for urzeitshop.de I save much more money than in other online stores in continental Europe.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Concavenator on January 20, 2019, 01:11:49 PM
Does anyone know if the Allosaurus and Stegosaurus are taking so long to be released because all the models they had done have to be repainted according to the new versions?  ???
They would be saved for later anyway, with the Spinosaurus and Pteranodon, but they have had to repaint the Stegosaurus and Allosaurus upon Doug's request, so it could delay them further, but it mught not actually be any longer than intended.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dimitar_E on January 20, 2019, 09:45:52 AM

Doug has posted the original sculpt in his collection thread. There is almost no bent at all, imho.

There is a little curvature there, the main difference seems to be the two top horns. 

Dimitar_E

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2019, 05:06:42 PM

There is a little curvature there, the main difference seems to be the two top horns. 

Yes, exactly. Looks more natural to me. I will try to straighten mine when I get it.

alexeratops

Quote from: Dimitar_E on January 20, 2019, 07:34:13 PM

Yes, exactly. Looks more natural to me. I will try to straighten mine when I get it.

How? Every time I try the plastic surgery method to refigure my models, they always revert back to their original state in less than 24 hours. Is there a more sound method of doing this that I'm not aware of?
like a bantha!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: alexeratops on January 20, 2019, 11:40:29 PM
Quote from: Dimitar_E on January 20, 2019, 07:34:13 PM

How? Every time I try the plastic surgery method to refigure my models, they always revert back to their original state in less than 24 hours. Is there a more sound method of doing this that I'm not aware of?

A lot depends. If it was warped in shipping heat can bring it back.  If your in a good air conditioned house you can heat up really good and then cool it in that pose and it will stay.  Thing is in winter when you turn the heat up they can go back.  The only permanent way is surgery.

ITdactyl

I'd say leave the figure in an ice bath for (at least) twice the amount of time that you used to heat it.  So I'd heat the figure by soaking in warm water (or with a hair dryer) until the problematic part becomes pliable.  I then try to coax the problematic parts into the position I want, afterwards I dunk it in ice water while holding/supporting the problematic part in the desired position.  The cold helps set the plastic. 

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thanks for the help. I have had a go at straightening the horns.

This is how it looked after I first completed the heating/cooling action:

I checked on it an hour later, and the horns now look more like the ones in Mr Doug Watson's prototype. I haven't had a chance to take another photo though.

Concavenator

Looks like Safari has updated their webpage including the new versions of Allosaurus and Stegosaurus , replacing their old versions' stock pictures:

https://store.safariltd.com/products/allosaurus

https://store.safariltd.com/products/stegosaurus

And I just can't wait for my Allosaurus to come home  :P

Shonisaurus

Sincerely the allosaurus and stegosaurus of Safari 2019 with its touch of rectified paint are obviously improved and dazzling. Thanks to the members of the forum we will have some figures of dinosaurs without defects and thanks to Doug and the Safari team. Sincerely it is worth waiting until March for this resolved detail, of both figures. My favorite is the Safari 2019 allosaurus.  :P

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

When will the Allosaurus be available??? I can't wait!

Also, the release schedule seems to have been removed from the first post.

suspsy

I'm liking the Stegosaurus more and more. I couldn't care less about the colour scheme now. As far as I'm concerned, it's presently the best plastic representation of the animal, period.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Safari 2019 is the most scientific stegosaurus ever made by a company and the most accurate. However I like much more his old Safari stegosaurus whose "retro" version I sincerely like more. It is an opinion that can be censored but I honestly do not get used to the new stegosaurus restored according to new scientific discoveries. I prefer the old version of Safari.

I recognize that I am a redneck in terms of scientific knowledge but that is my honest opinion.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: