News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The 2019 Safari Ltd Stegosaurus is an excellent piece of palaeoart and as the only completely up to date Stegosaurus (nearly) on the market right now, it is a must boy (if you can afford it) for anyone who values scientific depictions of dinosaurs. Unless you don't like Stegosaurus of course, but if you do, and don't like this figure, then I can't help you. The colours look great, but not perfect, but that is not important to me. It would be nice to see a Tuojiangosaurus join it in future.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 28, 2019, 08:18:04 PM
The 2019 Safari Ltd Stegosaurus is an excellent piece of palaeoart and as the only completely up to date Stegosaurus (nearly) on the market right now, it is a must boy (if you can afford it) for anyone who values scientific depictions of dinosaurs. Unless you don't like Stegosaurus of course, but if you do, and don't like this figure, then I can't help you. The colours look great, but not perfect, but that is not important to me. It would be nice to see a Tuojiangosaurus join it in future.

I value the work of Doug Watson one hundred percent and I have affirmed many times that I like the scientific dinosaur figures much more than the figures of pop art dinosaurs. It is a beautiful figure, but I thought for decades that the stegosaurus had the physical structure that they showed in the textbooks in an erroneous way and subjugated me (scientifically imprecise), and I know that it is a complete contradiction on my part. I like the scientific stegosaurus and I am not going to amend the plan to the scientists and sculptors of the superlative height of Doug Watson and it is outstanding.

But honestly I'm going to long for the old scientific version of the stegosaurus (I liked it better) and also miss the erroneously scientific old version of the tsintaosaurus whose crest was not exactly a unicorn as perfect as I had imagined. On the other hand, in contrast, I like the new reconstructions of deinocheirus, edmontosaurus and spinosaurus based on the new scientific data. I know it is a contradiction but I emphasize the stegosaurus I prefer that it is 100% scientific like that of Doug Watson as it is the exceptional stegosaurus of Safari 2019, but I will long for the ancient paleoartistic representation of the stegosaurus and the same can be said of the tsintaosaurus for putting another example.

This is not a matter of not assessing the titanic work of Doug Watson, (and I prefer it to be scientific) it's a matter of taste for the old version. There are people who, for example, long for horse cars as a means of transport instead of cars that are safer and more accurate means of transport. It is a matter of taste, not valuation.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I did not mean to criticise and I wasn't even addressing you directly even though I read your post before I posted. I understand that people have nostalgia for outdated dinosaurs (and other things) and there is definitely a market for it, and there in my opinion, is nothing wrong with liking outdated dinosaurs. And I'm glad you still like Doug Watson's excellent piece. My only issue is (admittedly for Stegosaurus it's not as important as Maniraptorforms for what I think are obvious reasons) when outdated dinosaurs continue to be propagated as 'what the real animal looks like' and so anyone who cares about science should support this figure if they have the money to and they like Stegosaurus. I am aware that it sounds like I am trying to force people to buy this figure that I have no real connection with, but that is also not my intention. That said, judging by avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector site, I think we can be safe in the notion that people will buy this Stegosaurus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

terrorchicken

I think the new posture for stegosaurus looks weird too. But I got used to the idea of non pronated hands, and feathers on T-rex and a crawling short legged spinosaurus, so I figure Ill get used to the new stegosaurus look too eventually.  ^-^

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Andreioli

BTW, here's an actual photo of the Safari Pteranodon from ED's Intagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtY1IjVFQHR/

It looks funny cause it's warped.

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Andreioli on February 07, 2019, 07:37:05 PM
BTW, here's an actual photo of the Safari Pteranodon from ED's Intagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtY1IjVFQHR/

It looks funny cause it's warped.

Awww it looks so sad

Patrx

Golly. Looks like a job for hot water  :o

Shonisaurus

Thank you for sharing the pteranodon photo of Safari, but honestly with the flaws you have is my favorite figure of pteranodon for me is the best pteranodon ever made to date by a toy dinosaur company.

Derek.McManus

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 28, 2019, 08:18:04 PM

Hard to resist a must boy...I'm sure you enjoy your trips to Thailand to buy a few 'chinasaurs' wink wink!

Jose S.M.

The Spinosaurus is now on stock on their website store. Can't wait for the Stego and Allo to arrive, hopefully soon.

Edit: Stego is also available!

Shonisaurus

There is less left for European online stores to sell the latest news of 2019 Safari dinosaurs. I hope to buy them.

Jorgesaurus

friends I am happy because I have already got the new stegosaurus, spinosaurus and camarasaurus safari 2019. I love only that the stegosaurus is smaller than I imagined. I'll upload some photos soon

Concavenator

Quote from: Jorgesaurus on February 13, 2019, 03:50:07 PM
friends I am happy because I have already got the new stegosaurus, spinosaurus and camarasaurus safari 2019. I love only that the stegosaurus is smaller than I imagined. I'll upload some photos soon

Yeah be sure to post some pics whenever you can please, I'm wondering how these will have come out.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Jorgesaurus on February 13, 2019, 03:50:07 PM

Congrats!

The Stego is bigger than the old Carnegie version and Wild Safari one so I'm good with the size, it should well with the Allosaurus later. The Camarsaurus is pretty good too, a nice big hunk of plastic with some heft as any sauropod replica should be ;)

I'd like to see pics of the Spino when you get around to it.

OT but did anyone ever figure out who sculpted the based Giganotosaurus ? I'm curious as to why they haven't helped make anymore sculpts for the line ?

Jorgesaurus

who can help me I can not upload the photos to the forum. And if the stegosaurus is a bit higher than the previous version but is more robust

Blade-of-the-Moon

You need to host your photos online somewhere then copy/paste the links here with img tags around them.

Shonisaurus

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Jorgesaurus on February 13, 2019, 05:57:32 PM
who can help me I can not upload the photos to the forum. And if the stegosaurus is a bit higher than the previous version but is more robust

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0

There's a guide to how to upload pictures in this link.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: