News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 17, 2018, 07:50:48 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 16, 2018, 11:38:30 PM
The photograph of Safari 2019 camarasaurus has come out perfectly. avatar_Dan @Dan

It looks really great. Similar to the Eofauna Giga, it also has some classic Battat vibes going for it.

I guess it also helps that the model is in 1:40 Scale, so it can be displayed with Battat models.

Concavenator

Now that are enough pictures, I think I can say  the Camarasaurus is seriously one of the best dinosaur models Safari has ever made,and their best sauropod model for sure (even better than the amazing Carnegie 2012 Brachiosaurus and 2008 Diplodocus).I don't see a single fault on it.

I don't usually collect sauropod models,due to their huge size and also the fact that I see many of them as boring models, but I'm thinking that I might get one.It looks majestic,the sculpting is elegant,and it's also extremely accurate.Great job, Doug!  :)

ceratopsian

I second avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator on the Camarasaurus. It's a glorious model. I was expecting it to be good but when I unwrapped mine it was even better than my expectations. Everything about it seems perfect.

DragonRider02

Any information when rest of Safari dinos will be avaiable on ED or Urzeitshop? I can't wait to buy Pteranodon!

japfeif

Quote from: MLMjp on September 26, 2018, 10:03:52 PM
:o :o :o :o :o

Stegosaurus, love the sculpt, don't like the colors.

I can't STAND those colors! Especially those lines on the plates...they just look fake, like something you'd see on some cheap Chinasaur. The whole things looks odd to me really. And the pose is so radically different from the typical Stego pose (since the new study of Sophie, etc.) that it already looks weird to me, and with that silly paint job.....yecch!

And speaking of paint jobs, not a fan of that hieroglyphic-looking mess on the Allosaurus, especially it's tail. Love the sculpt but that paint job just about kills it for me...and I'm not a good enough painter to repaint it so.....

terrorchicken

just like with Collecta, Safari ltd often suffers from many of their models being ruined by their paint jobs...good example is the nasutoceratops.

Brocc21

Personally I really like the nasutoceratops colors.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Jose S.M.

I don't particularly like the colors on the Nasutoceratops but I don't think they are horrible or badly applied, just a bit boring. I like the Stegosaurus, don't have any complaints about the colors.

SidB

Quote from: Brocc21 on January 07, 2019, 10:55:04 PM
Personally I really like the nasutoceratops colors.

You're not alone. Although it's also a great sculpt, I acquired it in part because of the painting scheme. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' in more ways than one!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on January 07, 2019, 11:03:14 PM
I don't particularly like the colors on the Nasutoceratops but I don't think they are horrible or badly applied, just a bit boring. I like the Stegosaurus, don't have any complaints about the colors.

Definitely boring (the Nasuto) but it gets the job done.

Minmiminime

I like the colours on the Nasutoceratops, too! I just wish they were slightly more evenly applied; what shows up as a row of  pleasing, subtle brown strips on one side is just a blobby mess on the other on my figure. There aren't any colour schemes or patterns on Safari dinosaurs that I find too hard on the eye and I think this year's selection is pretty outstanding! ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Quote from: DragonRider02 on December 31, 2018, 07:13:39 PM
Any information when rest of Safari dinos will be avaiable on ED or Urzeitshop? I can't wait to buy Pteranodon!

They told me on urzeitshop.de and on shop.modellpferdeversand.de the last remaining dinosaurs to market pteranodon, spinosaurus, stegosaurus and allosaurus will be available in March, so we will have to wait.

I got in touch with Miron and with shop.modellpferdeversand.de and they told me that until March these beautiful figures will not be available, so you have to be patient, you'll have to wait.

Concavenator

Yes, Safari recently said that the rest of their 2019 lineup would be released during the next 3 months.Though hopefully Dan gets them before, so my Allosaurus comes   >:D

As for the Nasutoceratops, I can tell it´s a great piece.It´s the only up to date ceratopsian in my collection, in fact.The detail is great and I like the colors too. :)

Halichoeres

That's a pity! But I suppose they had to have a bunch of Allosaurus figures repainted...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sauropelta

The Nasutoceratops would be better if it had a more bone like color on the horns and maybe a slighty different color for the beak/mouth. Overall I like it - 4/5 imo.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I think the Nasutoceratops is a great figure and the colours are much better than the Vagaceratops and Pachyrhinosaurus. I don't want the horns to be bone-coloured either, because they are display structures not weapons, so it works for me.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Loon

Enough about the nasutoceratops. Here I am hoping for some new info about the release of these new figures and you guys are talking about a toy from years ago.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Loon on January 13, 2019, 09:56:24 PM
Enough about the nasutoceratops. Here I am hoping for some new info about the release of these new figures and you guys are talking about a toy from years ago.
Well I've never talked about Nasutoceratops before. But I would like to see the Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Pteranodon and Spinosaurus too.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Takama

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 28, 2018, 09:08:47 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on September 28, 2018, 08:14:12 PM
But then again, instead of a swimming pose, we could have got something like this:

My Spinosaurus was finished long before the latest paper suggesting it could balance like this so I didn't test the theory but I can say as someone who has balanced a few theropods that there sure looks like a lot of bulk ahead of the hips and I doubt it would actually balance like that. I would love to see a properly built model that could stand without a weighted tail or a base. If you look at Schleich's they couldn't do it and it ends up with the hand touching.

Just finished this and I see Lanthanotus has posted the same doubts.

Well

Unless you think the Tail is too Weighted.       

Minmiminime

Oh-ho, that's interesting avatar_Takama @Takama ! I personally don't mind the heavy tail of this figure...Mark Witton illustrated Spinosaurus as bipedal and with a heavy tail as a counter balance. I know a lot of palaeontologists are yet to be convinced by the quadrupedal restoration and I'm still very much on the fence about it and look forward to the publication of further research, but I know that the Safari model most closely matches the postulated proportions. However, I have to admit a stylistic preference for this Schleich figure in this case. I can't believe I just said that, but it's true :o
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: