News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams

Started by Night Maw, September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stegosauria

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on August 21, 2019, 07:23:14 PM
I would like Safari Ltd to produce any of the following:

Any non-Tyrannosaurus tyrannosaurid (preferably Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus or Tarbosaurus).

Tyrannosaurus itself, considering how much more we know about it now, though it's probably too soon.

Majungasaurus

Yangchuanosaurus

Sinosauropteryx

Baryonyx

Utahraptor
or Deinonychus

Saltasaurus
or Opisthocoelicaudia

Brachytrachelopan

Mamenchisaurus

Shantungosaurus

Edmontosaurus

Ouranosaurus

Borealopelta

Animantarx

Euoplocephalus

Tuojiangosaurus

Kosmoceratops

Utahceratops

Torosaurus

Protoceratops

Hatzegopteryx

Xiphactinus

Mastodonsaurus

Phorusrhacos

Homotherium

Panthera (leo) spelaea

Paraceratherium

Gigantopithecus

That said, I'd be happy with whatever Safari Ltd puts out  ^-^

I doubt Safari would another Edmontosaurus after they just retired one not so long ago. But I second Toujiangosaurus, Protocetatops, Hatzegopteryx, Phorusrhacos, Homotherium, Pantera spalaea and Paraceratherium.

ZoPteryx

Might as well jump in before Safari starts doing the official reveals.  ;)

Plateosaurus - I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we need an updated prosauropod

Ophthalmosaurus - an ichthyosaur seems plausible at some point

Ambulocetus - hopefully Safari keeps up at least one new mammal a year, and this one seems like a prime choice

Paraceratherium - ok, maybe one more mammal ;D

Edmontosaurus - a nice big one to replace the small retired one

Herrerasaurus - lets continue the Triassic trend

Chasmosaurus - another ceratopsian seems likely, maybe this time a chasmosaurine

Utahraptor - maybe in a cool attack pose

Nothronychus - with abundant feathers please

Brontosaurus - nice and big!

Tiktaalik - which major company will finally tackle this important find?

Desmatosuchus - I'd love a modern take of this genus, hard to believe the best we still have is the Schleich

Dinoguy2

Quote from: ZoPteryx on August 24, 2019, 09:49:00 AM
Might as well jump in before Safari starts doing the official reveals.  ;)

Plateosaurus - I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we need an updated prosauropod

Ophthalmosaurus - an ichthyosaur seems plausible at some point

Ambulocetus - hopefully Safari keeps up at least one new mammal a year, and this one seems like a prime choice

Paraceratherium - ok, maybe one more mammal ;D

Edmontosaurus - a nice big one to replace the small retired one

Herrerasaurus - lets continue the Triassic trend

Chasmosaurus - another ceratopsian seems likely, maybe this time a chasmosaurine

Utahraptor - maybe in a cool attack pose

Nothronychus - with abundant feathers please

Brontosaurus - nice and big!

Tiktaalik - which major company will finally tackle this important find?

Desmatosuchus - I'd love a modern take of this genus, hard to believe the best we still have is the Schleich

I'm definitely waiting for some company to make a Brontosaurus that is technically accurate but still has an old school vibe.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 24, 2019, 12:14:48 PM
I'm definitely waiting for some company to make a Brontosaurus that is technically accurate but still has an old school vibe.

HARD SAME. If there's one thing old school paleoartists did better than modern ones, it's conveying the power and heft of sauropods. I think Mark Witton probably best bridges the gap between modern and old school in some of his sauropod paintings. Note especially the individuals in the background of his BRONTOSMASH! painting. The one that's halfway sumberged is meant to be a direct Charles Knight reference:

I think the key to bridging old and new is to imply a sense of ponderousness through a very generous amount of body mass, while simultaneously implying a sense of grace with swooping tails and arching necks.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 24, 2019, 03:07:04 PM
I think the key to bridging old and new is to imply a sense of ponderousness through a very generous amount of body mass, while simultaneously implying a sense of grace with swooping tails and arching necks.

Yes, the newer sauropods like Collecta's Brontosaurus are good and obviously accurate from a technical standpoint. But like most Collecta figures they have a distinct modern style in terms of pose and execution. Just a few differences in terms of choices about color, pose, and soft tissue makes a big difference.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Flaffy

I wonder when Safari will start revealing their 2020 lineup

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Flaffy on August 30, 2019, 03:13:42 AM
I wonder when Safari will start revealing their 2020 lineup

I suppose Safari will reveal its next prehistoric animal figures among other products in mid-late September at least. Likewise, the revelation of the new figures will be delayed and will be known in early or mid-October

ZoPteryx

Uh, I think Safari might be close to revealing new figures.  There's a Great Dane listed in their "What's New" section with no photos and I don't recall them having one before...  ???

https://store.safariltd.com/collections/whats-new/products/great-dane

They also seem to be more active on social media this week...

Ravonium

Quote from: ZoPteryx on September 07, 2019, 07:17:11 AM
Uh, I think Safari might be close to revealing new figures.  There's a Great Dane listed in their "What's New" section with no photos and I don't recall them having one before...  ???

I couldn't find a previous non-toob rendition from them when searching on TAI, so it's almost certainly a 2020 figure  8)

suspsy

So I guess they didn't send out early review samples again this year.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

A Borealopelta would be most welcome.

ZoPteryx

I asked my manager yesterday (I work in a gift shop that sells Safari) if they'd heard anything about new releases.  They said they hadn't, and were surprised about it like we are, but Safari did send something out regarding changes in production levels due to the ongoing trade dispute between the US and China.  Since their new figures are usually available rather quickly, I wonder if this change in production has forced them to change their release dates.  :-\

Also, their website banner now says to check out their "Early 2020 Releases" but that just takes you to the 3 new cryptids we saw a while back.  The photoless Great Dane has now vanished though...

Quote from: ZoPteryx on September 10, 2019, 06:40:27 AM
due to the ongoing trade dispute between the US and China. 

Doggone it. Of course that would be affecting this.  >:(

suspsy

Unfortunately, my contact at CollectA has mentioned that the tariffs are hurting them as well.  >:(

Takama

Safaris Great Dane has a photo now.

But it will take you to a 404 page on there website.

not sure if i will get in trouble for this but.

Toasaurus

Any updates reguarding the 2020 line or is it cancelled

Ravonium

Quote from: Toasaurus on September 22, 2019, 08:02:42 PM

Nothing worthy of note since Takama's post, but that doesn't necessarily mean the line is cancelled.

suspsy

Why on Earth would it be cancelled?

Toasaurus

Quote from: suspsy on September 22, 2019, 08:31:36 PM

Why on Earth would it be cancelled?
just because of the trade war  it's worrying me that we might not get anything next year

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: