News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams

Started by Night Maw, September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Even though I left some guesses before,here are some species I would love if Safari made:

Gorgosaurus
Utahraptor
Deinonychus
Lurdusaurus
Altirhinus
Atopodentatus
Brachytrachelopan
Yi
Pachycephalosaurus

I think that would my ideal line up as of now.However,my main wish has already been granted,that is, a properly accurate and well done  Allosaurus, that makes this gorgeous animal justice.I can be enough satisfied with that :)

Loon

A new ceratosaurus, because some of those pre-2015 theropods are pretty yeesh...
A therizinosaur, the sheer lack of therizinosaurs on the market is stunning, especially outside of therizinosaurus.
Utahraptor.
Some kind of ornithomimosaur, ornithomimosaurus maybe.

Shonisaurus

Safari could make three figures of dinosaurs in 2020 that for me are important and the figure of a marine reptile based on the dinosaurs that appear in JW of 2018.

Sinoceratops is a ceraptoside appears in the JW film and usually Safari always markets a new ceraptoside every year except the year 2018 that marketed two triceratops and regaliceratops. A sinoceratops in scientific version would be an obscure and highly marketable dinosaur.

A stygimoloch or a pachycephalosaurus is another figure that appears in JW, the pachycephalosaurus is by now disappeared in the Safari brand. There were two pachycephalosaurus of Carnegie (this company abandoned production and its prehistoric animals were all discontinued) and Safari (also discontinued) would be interesting for these two reasons for the film and for having been made by the brand Carnegie and Safari . The pachycephalosaurus is a well-known figure for dinosaur lovers.

A baryonyx of Safari 2020 would be an interesting figure although we already have figures of that theropod well represented as those of Favorite, Invicta, Mojo, Papo and Collecta to name several examples for the reason that reason is a very popular figure in the market of toy and because in his day Carnegie made a representation of that theropod known by lovers of prehistory even by fans would be a figure from my point of view needed by Safari especially when it has become famous for the movie of JW.

A marine reptile. Based on the JW movie, a mosasaurus obviously shows Safari already made a mosasaurus but it could be another marine animal such as a rhomaleosaurus or the predator X, that is, the pliosaurus funkei. Safari made the magnificent kronosaurus so it would be interesting for him to make the pliosaurus funkei in his day he became a liopleurodon on the part of Safari would be interesting a pliosaurus for the pointed reasons.

On the other hand, if a marine reptile of the family of the pliosaurs or the family of the mosasaurus is not possible, a tanystropheus would be interesting because Carnegie made one (by the way magnificent years ago) a new updated version and without the articulated collar it would be a good addition by Safari.

Sim

This is part 2 out of 3 of what I'd like to see from Safari.  In this part, I'm looking at pterosaurs.  I was going to post this yesterday, but then I saw the news relating to how pycnofibers might be feathers, and I decided to hold off posting this.  Here it is now!

I'd been wondering why I'd been feeling less and less interested in pterosaurs over time, and I eventually realised why!  The pterosaurs that interest me a lot, and consequently make me interested in other pterosaurs as well, are long-tailed ones without a head crest and which aren't dimorphodontians.  The reason I had become uninterested in pterosaurs is because of the lack of good figures of the aforementioned kinds of pterosaurs that I prefer.

The types of pterosaurs made by companies tend to be a variety of short-tailed pterosaurs and Dimorphodon.  From the companies that many people collect the figures of, the short-tailed pterosaurs made are:
1. Toothless pteranodontians (Pteranodon longiceps, Pteranodon sternbergi, Nyctosaurus)
2. Azhdarchids (Quetzalcoatlus, Hatzegopteryx, Zhejiangopterus)
3. Anhanguerians (Anhanguera, Guidraco, Ornithocheirus, Tropeognathus)
4. Tapejarids and similar relatives (Caiuajara, Tupuxuara, Nemicolopterus)
While the long-tailed pterosaurs made are:
1. A dimorphodontian (Dimorphodon)
2. A rhamphorhynchid (Rhamphorhynchus)

Not all figures made have been good representations of the animals.  However, I think each of the above groups have one or more great figure representations, except for rhamphorhynchids which have none.
It's also interesting how between all these companies, there hasn't been a long-tailed pterosaur group where more than one member has been represented.  This isn't a problem for dimorphodontians, as in this very small group the only genus known from good remains appears to be Dimorphodon.  In contrast, I've counted at least four rhamphorhynchids which are known from great remains, with a significant amount of variety between them; yet there isn't even one great rhamphorhynchid figure from any of these companies!

I have to give credit to Safari here.  They are the only one of all those companies that have made a long-tailed pterosaur that isn't Dimorphodon, even though their Rhamphorhynchus is quite retro now lacking pycnofibers (or should I say it's featherless? ;)).  Additionally, Safari was the first out of all of these companies to make a Dimorphodon, with all the others only making Dimorphodon after the genus appeared in Jurassic World (there isn't anything wrong with that, but it makes me feel that Safari is the only one who's shown much interest in making long-tailed pterosaurs).

If any decent figures of types of pterosaurs that lack good representation are made, I will see them as a good thing.  However, I have no interest in buying another pterosaur figure until a company makes a good modern representation of a long-tailed pterosaur that doesn't have a head crest and isn't a dimorphodontian.  As I mentioned earlier, it's pterosaurs like that that really interest me and make me have some interest in other pterosaurs too.  So if there's no satisfying figure of any of these, then I'm not interested in having figures of any other pterosaur.

So, with all that said...  It's been a long time now since Safari made a long-tailed pterosaur.  Their Dimorphodon is from 2013, while their Rhamphorhynchus is from 2010.  Perhaps Safari is willing to make another long-tailed pterosaur figure now?  I'd particularly like Safari to make any of the following!:

Rhamphorhynchus
Rhamphorhynchus has always been my favourite pterosaur.  If Safari's current Rhamphorhynchus figure had existed when I was little, I'm sure I would have loved it, as it's a lot like how I saw Rhamphorhynchus represented at the time.  I see the Safari figure as a nice retro version, but not a figure that can satisfy my wish for a Rhamphorhynchus as it's understood now.
Somewhat recently, I read Mark Witton say how Rhamphorhynchus is known from over 100 specimens, many of them well-preserved complete skeletons, and also providing excellent soft-tissue remains.  I think Rhamphorhynchus is also one of the most iconic pterosaurs!  Additionally, Rhamphorhynchus has been known for over 150 years!  I think it really needs a modern figure version that does it justice.
A new Rhamphorhynchus is my first choice for the next pterosaur figure from Safari.  Although, I'm not sure if Safari would want to make an updated Rhamphorhynchus at this point in time.  In any case, other species I'd also be very interested in are listed below.

Eudimorphodon
This Triassic pterosaur has complex dentition in the form of large fangs and also many small, multi-pointed teeth that allowed it to chew!

Dorygnathus
This is a rhamphorhynchid that differs from Rhamphorhynchus considerably in proportions, as well as in living in the Early, rather than Late, Jurassic.

Shonisaurus

A long-tailed pterosaur also interesting is the preondactylus could do it on a larger scale and is one of the first pterosaurs that populated the Earth. I believe that to date no known company has made a figure of such a pterosaur although I may be wrong.

Halichoeres

avatar_Sim @Sim: I would also like to see some of the long-tailed pterosaurs, although it seems like you're suggesting that if, say, some ctenochasmids or istiodactylids are released in the interim, you would no longer be interested in, say, a Dorygnathus? That is a pretty narrow window of acceptability! I would welcome them all, personally, but in general I agree that the non-pterodactyloids are more neglected. I wouldn't mind a Sordes or Scaphognathus, either. Looking to your part 3!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

I went to the suggestions part on the Safari website and suggested them making a Pachycephalosaurus and a Deinonychus...let´s see what happens... ::)

Loon

Quote from: Concavenator on January 02, 2019, 07:42:24 PM
I went to the suggestions part on the Safari website and suggested them making a Pachycephalosaurus and a Deinonychus...let´s see what happens... ::)
Ooo...I would like some new pachycephalosaurs. Despite the recentness of the Dracorex, it could use an update.

suspsy

I want Stegoceras to receive some love already.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 02, 2019, 07:38:51 PM
avatar_Sim @Sim: I would also like to see some of the long-tailed pterosaurs, although it seems like you're suggesting that if, say, some ctenochasmids or istiodactylids are released in the interim, you would no longer be interested in, say, a Dorygnathus? That is a pretty narrow window of acceptability! I would welcome them all, personally, but in general I agree that the non-pterodactyloids are more neglected. I wouldn't mind a Sordes or Scaphognathus, either. Looking to your part 3!

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres: No, I wasn't suggesting that if any short-tailed pterosaur is made next, I would no longer be interested in long-tailed pterosaurs!  I meant that for as long as there isn't a satisfying figure of a long-tailed pterosaur that I like, I don't have interest in having figures of other types of pterosaur.

Although, during the holiday period I have been considering getting the Wild Safari 2019 Pteranodon, and I'll decide after I see how it looks once it's released.  In any case, the pterosaurs I'd very much like to have figures of are long-tailed ones without a head crest that aren't dimorphodontians, and no short-tailed pterosaur can change or satisfy that.

I think the pterosaur figure market very much needs to better represent pterosaur diversity.  There's no adequate figures for lots of types of pterosaurs. By increasing the variety among good pterosaur figures, I think more people will be able to find something that appeals to them, considering how much difference in form there is among pterosaurs.  This could even get more people interested in getting previously released pterosaur figures, as once they find a pterosaur they very much like they might want to get other pterosaurs to go with it.

At this point, I'd like companies to consider making other pterosaurs instead of another azhdarchid, dimorphodontian, pteranodontid or anhanguerian.  Those have been made very often now, and I think more variety among pterosaur figures is seriously needed.  Maybe I'm being too optimistic here, but I think making both a long-tailed pterosaur and a short-tailed pterosaur for one year could work well for Safari (and other companies), even doing that for a few years as there's enough variety to allow it.

Thanks for your interest, Halichoeres!

suspsy

As far as pterosaurs are concerned, I'd love to see Anuroganthus, Caviramus, and Dsungaripterus.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sauropelta

+1 to the Dsungaripterus. And I think Anurognathus would be better as a toob or PNSO mini figure personally.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on January 04, 2019, 06:03:08 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 02, 2019, 07:38:51 PM

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres: No, I wasn't suggesting that if any short-tailed pterosaur is made next, I would no longer be interested in long-tailed pterosaurs!  I meant that for as long as there isn't a satisfying figure of a long-tailed pterosaur that I like, I don't have interest in having figures of other types of pterosaur.

Oh, that makes more sense!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

avatar_suspsy @suspsy I would like like you a dsungaripterus is like I have repeated countless times one of my favorite pterosaurs along with the ptedodaustro and ludydacylus.

An anurognathus I would like for its rarity seems a cross between pterodasaur and bat. It is a rare figure and even not very graceful as a pterosaur but for me the ugly in nature is beautiful and very nice. We need an anuroganathus.

Caviramus de Safari would make a beautiful couple with the cuiajara of Collecta 2019.

I applaud your suggestions and share them, one hundred percent. Hopefully Safari and Doug will listen to you.

Crocmimic

My list goes as follows, as you can see, I've added a lot of Triassic creatures. I feel that the Triassic Period is overlooked by a lot of model makers, so I'm always hoping we will get someTriassic Fauna.

I would like to see some non-dinosaurs such as
Deinotherium
Prionosuchus
Dsungaripterus
Armadillosuchus
Rutiodon

In terms of Dinosaurs I would like to see these.
Centrosaurus
Gigantoraptor
Majungasaurus
Gallimimus
Herrarasaurus
Lilliensternus

And to fill in some gaps to replace the Carnegie Collection
Plateosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Shonisaurus

It would be interesting if there was the possibility that Doug would do one of the following dinosaurs mentioned in this list (which I see very difficult but not impossible):

Among prehistoric animals that are not dinosaurs

A caulkicephalus as a pterosaur would be interesting to do.
Shonisaurus (an updated namesake of mine)
Shastasaurus
Erythrosuchus
Arizonosaurus
Atopodentatus
Lotosaurus
Plesiosaurus
Nothosaurus

Among the dinosaurs it would be interesting,

Rajasaurus
Siamotyrannus.
Majungasaurus
Rugops
Mimni
Euoplocephalus
Agustinia
Scolosaurus
Tyrannotitan
Mapusaurus
Albertoceratops
Chasmosaurus (I need in my case a chasmosaurus is a well-known species and no leading company does it at an acceptable size).
Tsintaosaurus
Maiasaura
Edmontosaurus
Scipionyx
Plateosaurus (we need a reprint of this famous prosauropod)

In my case, dreaming is free.

Concavenator

I think a good and accurate model of Deinonychus is very long overdue.How comes the creature that changed our view on how dinosaurs behaved and lived doesn't have a single decent model?

And most curiously, if JP had decided to name that "raptor" Deinonychus, pretty much all Velociraptor figures today would be Deinonychus  ::)

ceratopsian

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus:  I like your comment about dreaming is free!  That is part of the fun of our hobby.

Personally I would like to see Doug create a model of Zuul.  I'm currently reading the slim book from the ROM that accompanies their exhibition.

Crocmimic

I'm baxk with sone more suggestions. Personally I would like to see some oddball Cambrian, Ordivician, Silurian, oddball sea life be brought to the table as they are so interesting and so generally poorly represented by model makers. Also I think an Arthropleura would be completely awesome!

Shonisaurus

An lystrosaurus would be a good addition to the obscure species of Safari.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: