News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams

Started by Night Maw, September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Joey on November 27, 2018, 04:32:19 AM
SNIP
DeJankins actually sells the Bullyland Chalicotherium for a good price of $18.00
They currently don't ship to outside of the US though.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 28, 2018, 08:22:40 PM
SNIP
DeJankins actually sells the Bullyland Chalicotherium for a good price of $18.00

Really? They always used to. Might be worth emailing Dean about it. But I'd also be willing to buy one and forward it to you if that helps.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 28, 2018, 10:48:01 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 28, 2018, 08:22:40 PM
SNIP

Really? They always used to. Might be worth emailing Dean about it. But I'd also be willing to buy one and forward it to you if that helps.
Thanks for the kind offer. I have spoken to Dean and it turns out they do still ship abroad, just not on the website. Thank you anyway.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

A thylacine would be interesting for Safari to do. I am still surprised that they have not yet taken out any figure of that emblematic extinct mammal, whose history has been a tragedy for the international scientific community and as we all know had a rather tragic end. I think Safari could make the figure of that emblematic mammal considering that despite being an animal that existed in recent times is missing.

It would be a great achievement for Safari to edit a figure of thylacine because it would serve to educate the new generations (children) about how catastrophic the hand of man can be in relation to climate change and the most important thing to alert humans are the main ones guilty that thousands of species have become extinct.

Certainly an uro would also be welcome unfortunately the auroch also influenced its extermination.

Daspletodave

For non-dinosaurs, I'd like to see a Moschops and Kannemeyeria. Maybe a Seymouria too.

Sauropelta

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 02, 2018, 12:09:09 AM
It would be a great achievement for Safari to edit a figure of thylacine because it would serve to educate the new generations (children) about how catastrophic the hand of man can be in relation to climate change and the most important thing to alert humans are the main ones guilty that thousands of species have become extinct.

But didn't it go extinct because of competition from dogs/dingos and overhunting? I don't see how it can be used to promote climate change. "The absolute extinction is attributed to competition from Aboriginal Australians and invasive dingoes." from a wiki page.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Sim

I'm a little hesitant to post what I'd like to see from Safari in 2020, after how things went with the 2019 Stegosaurus's paintjob.  Based on how certain things have been going, it feels unlikely there will be something I'd like to have among Safari's 2020 figures.  I don't doubt Safari will continue to make great prehistoric figures though.  That having been said, I will see how I feel about the Stegosaurus's paintjob after the figure is released.  And, I still think Safari is the company most likely to make a figure I'll be interested in.

So... I'll say what I'd like to see from Safari.  I'm going to split this into three parts, each part for a different group of animals.  This is part 1, carnivorous dinosaurs:

Saurornithoides
Currently troodontids have almost no representation as figures, with none being made by the main toy companies, and I think the best representations are a relatively high-end action figure from Beasts of the Mesozoic (which is intended to represent a juvenile), and a mini figure from PNSO representing an animal while it's sleeping.  So even among what might be the best, there isn't a figure of an adult troodontid in a "neutral" pose.
I'd like a Saurornithoides, as it's one of my favourite prehistoric animals, with the known parts of it giving a decent idea of how it looked.  It was also the first troodontid known from more than just teeth, showing people what a troodontid was like for the first time.  Saurornithoides could work well with the Wild Safari 2017 Velociraptor and Citipati, as these three animals all lived at the same time in the environment of the Djadochta Formation, and they each represent a different type of pennaraptoran - a troodontid, a dromaeosaurid and an oviraptorosaur.

Herrerasaurus
Herrerasaurus is important in the early evolution of dinosaurs.  Additionally, it's the most frequently found carnivore in the Ischigualasto Formation, and it has an interesting build!  It's another of my favourite prehistoric animals, and with its significance and distinctive appearance, it would be so nice to have a really good figure of it!

Deinonychus
There are more than enough differences between Deinonychus and the dromaeosaurids currently in the Wild Safari line - Velociraptor and Microraptor - that I think Deinonychus would be a great choice to further represent dromaeosaurid diversity!  Examples of differences between these three are found in their anatomy (head shape for example), each living in a quite different environment, Velociraptor being the only one found in the Late Cretaceous, and Microraptor being a four-winged flyer.
Deinonychus, Velociraptor and Microraptor have each provided important and unique things to science and to many people's experience of dinosaurs, and I think each of these three animals deserves to be represented well as figures.  It was study of Deinonychus in the 1960s-70s that led to the dinosaur renaissance, which involved the link between dinosaurs and birds being accepted again, and a shift from representation of dinosaurs as tail draggers to more active animals with tails held off the ground.
Other animals already in the Wild Safari line that shared their environment with Deinonychus are Sauropelta and Acrocanthosaurus.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sauropelta on December 14, 2018, 01:36:05 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 02, 2018, 12:09:09 AM

But didn't it go extinct because of competition from dogs/dingos and overhunting? I don't see how it can be used to promote climate change. "The absolute extinction is attributed to competition from Aboriginal Australians and invasive dingoes." from a wiki page.

From what I read in the wikipedia the Thylacinus cynocephalus that was in clear decline in Tasmania (by various factors, diseases, wild dogs introduced by settlers) in the 19th century in Tasmania, the Tasmanian government accelerated the extinction of that emblematic marsupial mammal paying heavy sums for the elimination of thylacinus because they were blamed for the death of sheep. I leave a fragment of the text of the wikipedia, although it is true that many factors much more lethal than hunting by humans,

"Since the first days of European colonization, the marsupial wolves were rare, but little by little they were blamed for numerous attacks on sheep, which led to rewards in an attempt to control their number." One company, Van Diemen's Land Company, offered rewards for killing marsupial wolves since 1830, and between 1888 and 1909 the government of Tasmania paid a pound sterling per head (10 shillings for puppies.) In total 2184 rewards were paid, but it is believed that many more were killed the marsupial wolves that were claimed.24 Their extinction is usually attributed to these constant efforts of farmers and bounty hunters.24 Even so, multiple factors are likely to contribute to its decline and ultimate extinction, including competition with dogs wild animals (introduced by the settlers), 45 the erosion of their habitat, the extinction of species that were their prey, and a disease similar to distemper that It killed many captives in those days. " (Wikipedia).

Also the dodo was removed by non-native animals, rats, dogs, pigs, cats but were introduced by humans. So in the extinction of these species we have influenced human beings unfortunately, but sincerely is to put doors to the field. Sooner or later the island of Mauritius (where the dodo lived), the island of Madagascar (where the elephant bird existed), the island of New Zealand (where the moa and the haspagornis morei) and Australia and Tasmania had to be colonized (where the thylacinus lived), imperial Rome caused the beginning of the extinction of African animal species (they served in circuses).

It was law of life big fish eats the boy and in this case apart from that they influenced many factors, it is necessary to agree that the arrival of the human being definitively diminished these species.

By the way, I have mentioned it to Doug Watson and we need more than ever a paraceratherium for 2020 now that Collecta is discontinued. It is an animal very poorly represented in the toy market and after palaeoloxodon namadicus is the second largest prehistoric terrestrial mammal that has ever existed.

Halichoeres

avatar_Sim @Sim I was just thinking the other day that an update to the old 1:40 Carnegie Deinonychus pack would be so cool. Would you buy something like that? I know you don't like bases so I think I know the answer but I would buy it in a heartbeat. That said, I would also buy a larger version, say 1:10 or 1:20 scale. Same goes for a Herrerasaurus or Saurornithoides.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ravonium

Quote from: Sauropelta on December 14, 2018, 01:36:05 AM

Climate change is linked closely enough to extinction/endangerment that in order to point it out, I don't think a figure of a recently extinct animal needs to be of one that became extinct because of climate change. Any child inspired enough by the figure to find out more information on that topic is bound to find out how it relates to climate change.

Although, yes, thylacines aren't an example of an extinction caused by climate change. Infact, they likely benefitted from the extinction of larger predators in Australia at the end of the Pleistocene, which was at least partially related to climate change.

EDIT: Someone's replied to the quoted post over half a year later, and it's made me realise that additionally, Shonisaurus didn't just mention climate change, he also mentioned manmade extinction in general, which the thylacine's extinction is an excellent example of. Even if it couldn't be used to spread awareness of climate change, it could still be used to spread awareness of manmade extinction. (and the two topics are very closely linked to eachother)

Shonisaurus

Sincerely the thylacine became extinct like so many other species throughout the history of mankind because it had to become extinct it did not adapt to the new changes, independently that many species of animals that have disappeared did not adapt to the new climatic conditions and predation of species that were introduced into their habitat.

The thylacine was a superspecialized animal and that was the reason for its extinction, as it will happen with the two species of rhinoceroses of Java and Sumatra whose days are numbered to give two examples.

For example there are animals that adapt to any circumstance and that is one of the keys that will continue with us for their resistance and adaptability of the circumstances a notable example are the sewer rats. Despite man's efforts to exterminate them, sewer rats due to their unusual intelligence multiply despite the measures of human beings to end this plague are animals that are very difficult to deceive (poison can be introduced in food as a decoy to kill them but once they realize that it is poison the new generations do not fall into the trap and reject those "cheating" foods). In fact for every human being in the world there are three sewer rats.

Now going to the background discussion I would like Safari to perform a tyrannotitan is a carcharodontosaurus obscure in the toy dinosaur market and with an acceptable size would delight those of us who are collectors.

On the other hand a giganotosaurus and therizinosaurus would be figures desired by me and by many collectors and with a large size could make good trio with Safari deinocheirus.

A utahraptor and a deinonychus would be other figures of prehistoric animals by the Safari brand that they would need to edit.

And especially a pachycephalosaurus after the disappearance of the pachycepalosaurus of Carnegie and Safari, apart is a very undervalued figure and precisely is not a dinosaur unknown by the general public.

Sim

I have a polite request.  If you wish to continue discussing modern animal extinctions, could you please take it to a new thread, and not continue it here, as I'm finding it's become difficult to follow the topic of this thread which is "Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams".

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 15, 2018, 02:40:34 AM
avatar_Sim @Sim I was just thinking the other day that an update to the old 1:40 Carnegie Deinonychus pack would be so cool. Would you buy something like that? I know you don't like bases so I think I know the answer but I would buy it in a heartbeat. That said, I would also buy a larger version, say 1:10 or 1:20 scale. Same goes for a Herrerasaurus or Saurornithoides.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I'm glad to see my previous post didn't get completely lost among the posts about modern animal extinctions!  I wouldn't like or buy an updated version of a pack of Deinonychus attached to a base.  I had the Carnegie Deinonychus when I was little, and I've never liked it.  You're right that being on a permanent base makes it unappealing to me.  But also, the size of the individual Carnegie Deinonychus is just too small to be able to satisfyingly represent the animals, for me.

If an "updated" version was made for Wild Safari though, I hope they would be made in a larger scale, at least at the same scale as the WS Sauropelta.  And perhaps then, they would be sold as a set without a base.  If that were done, that could interest me!  I think what I'd like the most though, would be to just to ditch the "Deinonychus pack" meme, and make one Deinonychus figure in a good size, perhaps around the same size as the WS Coelophysis.  One of the things I like about the Favorite soft model Deinonychus is that it's just a good representation of Deinonychus for the time in a nice size, and it doesn't need to shrink the animal down to a small size or put it in a pack to make it appealing.

So, as long as a Wild Safari Deinonychus isn't in a smaller scale than the Wild Safari Sauropelta, I think there are great possibilities for it, be it more than one in a set to scale with the Sauropelta, just one Deinonychus to scale with the Sauropelta, or just one Deinonychus in a larger scale than the Sauropelta.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Sim @Sim you are absolutely right, sorry not only to you but to all the members of DTF. I will not talk again in this thread of how the species became extinct. The discussion debate is what dinosaurs would want one to do Safari in 2020. In my case it will not happen again you can have it for sure.

Retaking the thread among the many prehistoric animals that could make the Safari brand for 2020 honestly, I would like a coryphodon, a palorchestes for me would be a very welcome mammal in the sense that after the disappearance of the rare palorchestes of Play Visions it would be interesting that Safari I made a prehistoric marsupial mammal and that is one of the rarest marsupial mammals with diprotodon.

A rapetosaurus for me would be a very interesting species from Safari, it is a species of Madagascar sauropod that is interesting and the size of this sauropod is not large so it could be commercialized.

As I commented in other threads of the post it would be interesting a deinosuchus or a postosuchus giant prehistoric crocodiles that accompanied the prestosuchus and kaprosuchus of Safari of medium size compared with those named would be an interesting bet on the part of Safari especially when the crocodiles are animal figures that They are successful in sales and represent huge profits for a brand like Safari.

An atopodentatus is another figure that would replace the nigersaurus as a rare prehistoric animal figure.

Another example of rare marine animal would be the tullimonstrum is a subrrealistic figure.

A gallodactylus, germanodacylus, ptedodaustro, phobetor, dsungaripterus, ctenochasma, tropeognathus, ludodactylus, a hatzegopteryx or a thalassodromeus sethi would be welcome figures among the new pterosaurs.

A plateosaurus would be a figure for me necessary for Safari considering that Carnegie's plateosaurus was discontinued.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Sim on December 14, 2018, 04:20:25 PM
SNIP

Saurornithoides
SNIP

Herrerasaurus
SNIP

Deinonychus
SNIP
All are great choices. Saurornithoides would probably be the best Troodontid to make in my opinion, for the reasons you mention, and its relative completeness (if I'm not mistaken). A decent Herrerasaurus is long overdue, and Deinonychus is another of my childhood favourites, which I would love to have an accurate version of a lone Deononychus figure.
I didn't realise that Sauropelta was that size. Interesting.

Concavenator

I will leave a few guesses... Brachiosaurus, Ichthyosaurus, Gorgosaurus , Centrosaurus  Utahraptor and Dilophosaurus.

Also, we might see a Concavenator or Cryolophosaurus

That aside,now that Safari has been basically bringing back the species of the Carnegie Collection since 2017 and now most of this process has been made, it would be nice if we saw Safari made other dinosaurs, like CollectA does. The only new species we have gotten this year was Prestosuchus, if we can count Citipati as an Oviraptor resculpt,which most surely it is.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Concavenator on December 15, 2018, 07:35:47 PM
I will leave a few guesses... Brachiosaurus, Ichthyosaurus, Gorgosaurus , Centrosaurus  Utahraptor and Dilophosaurus.

That aside,now that Safari has been basically bringing back the species of the Carnegie Collection since 2017 and now most of this process has been made, it would be nice if we saw Safari made other dinosaurs, like CollectA does. The only new species we have gotten this year was Prestosuchus, if we can count Citipati as an Oviraptor resculpt,which most surely it is.
And please can the two animals I've highlighted in bold be covered in fuzzy protofeathers like the Coelophysis. It would make my day, or year.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on December 15, 2018, 07:35:47 PM

I share your theses with some nuances that I explain.

A cryolophosaurus, dilophosaurus would be figures that in a realistic way would make a company like Safari for 2020.

Another figure the Ichthyosaurus in the past Carnegie also made that figure, an ichthyosaurus would not be disposable.

Less realistic maybe it would be a concavenator and the Miragaia of Safari (here not mentioned but wanted by me) considering that despite being exotic dinosaurs would not have the same commercial success of the two figures discussed in the first paragraph.

A gorgosaurus as well as an albertosaurus would be figures today discontinued by the Safari brand and by the disappeared Carnegie brand that would be interesting as theropods from the commercial and consumer point considering that if the tyrannosaurus rex is a bestseller in any dinosaur brand of toy their cousins ​​albertosaurus and gorgosaurus could have the same success or at least a success more than acceptable as long as they were made with an acceptable size and were exquisitely sculpted. If they continue making cousins ​​of tyrannosaurus rex to small or medium size I understand that sales by Safari would not be successful.

The utahraptor and the deinonychus (in my case that figure is essential although it is not named in the list) of Safari and Carnegie are two figures of forced dinosaurs considering that raptors always have good attention.

Another thing is the centrosaurus that you comment or the protoceratops (which I would like in my case) although being sculpted by Doug would be a bestseller whose sculptures would be repaid in abundance with only American and Chinese buyers.

A brachiosaurus would be an interesting model for Safari considering that this figure is well known by most of the public, although we already have a magnificent one, a larger model would be a very desired figure among collectors but not so much among consumers for the price, so I understand that it would be a figure that could cause commercial losses to the Safari brand although it could be made a medium-large size like the Safari diplodocus although taking into account that the Safari brachiosaurus is a recent figure in my case I have some doubts that they returned to make Safari a model equal to the one mentioned.

An obscure figure would be a centrosaurus, monoclonius or even a protoceratops and is never discarded since Safari and in particular Doug always make a ceraptoside every year.

As for an exotic, rare or obscure figure, it would be interesting to see a deinosuchus especially when Carnegie made one in his day. The crocodiles from the commercial and consumer point are much loved by the public in general, the same thing of sharks a new megalodon by Safari better modeled than the PNSO and solid PVC would be a best seller by Safari . By this I mean your comment on prestosuchus.

As regards the citipati, which you mentioned, following the trail of these omnivorous theropods would be interesting and even intelligent a bet to make a gigantoraptor (as long as the sales of the anzu and the citipati model were good or acceptable).

Jose S.M.

I still dream for a big Edmontosaurus, a Protoceratops, Doug's take on Borealopelta and another dromeosaur. Also the suggestions of a Concavenator and Cryolophosaurus are great I would love that.  Camptosaurus and Tenontosaurus are something I would like to see but too obscure and "plain" for the wider audience.

Shonisaurus

Being frank any figure is welcome for me but without a doubt I look for the brand of Safari toys and honestly my opinion is that they must remake the Carnegie collection of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals (obviously updating it sculpturally) and then risk the company to represent at the most three new dinosaurs or obscure prehistoric animals.

An orodromeus for example as an obscure and rare species would be interesting, a moschops would be another interesting figure and a paraceratherium. The rest should be figures of prehistoric animals discontinued Carnegie and Safari and sincerely improved should begin with the best known as the cryolophosaurus, dilophosaurus, ichythiosaurus, gorgosaurus, albertosaurus, deinosuchus, baryonyx (this figure I understand is something forced by Safari from my humble point of view), maiasaura (figure that should redo), edmontosaurus or therizinosaurus and finish over the years with species such as tanystropheus, dilong, concavenator, caudipteryx, beipiaosaurus, yanchuanosaurus, mamenchisaurus or miragaia.

Undoubtedly it is better that dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are without scale at least it is a preference of mine, for a simple reason, small figures with a large size and provided they are well sculpted and detailed are more interesting figures than figures small or medium.

It would also be interesting to have a tube with miniature Safari theropods and could put ten or twelve emblematic theropods like tyrannosaurus, acrocanthosaurus, suchomimus, carnotaurus, dilophosaurus, baryonyx, deinonychus, velociraptor, allosaurus and gorgosaurus for putting ten examples of theropod dinosaur tube.

Regardless that Safari makes obscure figures (if it depended on me that they were all obscure and rare) you have to be realistic and should make known figures and "experimenting" with the introduction to the most of three figures of dinosaurs and obscure prehistoric animals.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: