News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: Acro's comics on December 11, 2018, 11:58:02 PM
I wonder if sales have impacted on the number of releases
I've noticed that one of Canada's Papo suppliers (Mastermind Toys) has started stocking other brands of Dinosaur toys. There are even some papo knockoff figures available. As far as I know this is new within the last year.

A few cheaper Papo knockoffs

aluminum hydroxide powder
A few larger soft Dinosaurs from the brand Wildlife Wow!
Can't see either of these being great for sales as many people may go with the cheaper alternative.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Syndicate Bias

I really wish knock offs were completely illegal. I just dont see stealing the work of someone else and copying it and reselling it for your own profits as something that should be overlooked in china

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 12, 2018, 05:59:34 AM
I really wish knock offs were completely illegal. I just dont see stealing the work of someone else and copying it and reselling it for your own profits as something that should be overlooked in china

I am beginning to question how illegal knock offs truly are if the largest retailer in the world (e.g. Amazon) sells and/or distributes them so rampantly.

hao_bao

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 12, 2018, 06:40:08 AM

I am beginning to question how illegal knock offs truly are if the largest retailer in the world (e.g. Amazon) sells and/or distributes them so rampantly.

Plenty of Papo knockoffs on Tao Bao, some of them look better than the originals lol. Been tempted to buy some out of curiousity because they're so cheap and have more interesting paint jobs.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: hao_bao on December 12, 2018, 10:27:02 AM

Plenty of Papo knockoffs on Tao Bao, some of them look better than the originals lol. Been tempted to buy some out of curiousity because they're so cheap and have more interesting paint jobs.

It is my opinion but the figures of dinosaurs (copies) of companies that make figures violating copyright understand that the material with which they are made do not have the same quality as the real product of a prestigious brand. Moreover, they can have toxic and harmful material for the little ones (children).

hao_bao

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 12, 2018, 11:54:54 AM
Quote from: hao_bao on December 12, 2018, 10:27:02 AM

It is my opinion but the figures of dinosaurs (copies) of companies that make figures violating copyright understand that the material with which they are made do not have the same quality as the real product of a prestigious brand. Moreover, they can have toxic and harmful material for the little ones (children).

That's okay, my daughter's scared of them anyway. She screamed and cried when I brought the quetz near her.

Reptilia

A reason for Papo ti discontinue their Dimorphodon is cutting costs, maybe? It is a tiny figure which retails for a relatively low price, but it demands a lot more plastic than any other Papo model for its packaging.

Syndicate Bias

Im assuming the dimorphodon was probably their least popular 2017 release. Which is obvs low sales but thats just my guess. Most of the flying reptiles they released have been retired i guess no one really buys them lol. Really wish they would do a nice plesiosaur i think my issue these days is not enough marine reptiles from any company that makes detailed models/toys

Takama

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 15, 2018, 04:09:48 PM
Im assuming the dimorphodon was probably their least popular 2017 release. Which is obvs low sales but thats just my guess. Most of the flying reptiles they released have been retired i guess no one really buys them lol. Really wish they would do a nice plesiosaur i think my issue these days is not enough marine reptiles from any company that makes detailed models/toys

Papo Alredy has a plesiosaurus. though its not a masterpiece. I highly doubt they would make a new one any time soon

Sim

S @Syndicate Bias, the Dimorphodon is the only one of Papo's pterosaurs that has been retired.  I'm not sure if you were counting the Archaeopteryx as a "flying reptile" as well, but even then most of Papo's are still in production: Pteranodon, Tupuxuara and Quetzalcoatlus.

Regarding marine reptiles, I think there's quite a bit of choice for mosasaurs and pliosaurs, but not enough for other types of marine reptiles.  Long-necked plesiosaurs are some of my favourite prehistoric animals, but I currently don't have any figures of them due to a tendency for them to be represented with exaggerated skin detail, in my opinion.  I doubt Papo is the company that will make good marine reptile figures, at least of the more streamlined animals, as they tend to focus on detail too much at times.

Additionally, as avatar_Takama @Takama mentioned, Papo has made a Plesiosaurus.  If they were to make new marine reptiles, I would guess next they would do a pliosaur, or a Jurassic World-inspired Mosasaurus even though Papo has already made a Tylosaurus too.

Personally, I feel that currently Eofauna is the company most likely to be able to make a long-necked plesiosaur that I'll want to have.  I would love to see them make a Thalassomedon!

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Sim on December 15, 2018, 06:02:03 PM
S @Syndicate Bias, the Dimorphodon is the only one of Papo's pterosaurs that has been retired.  I'm not sure if you were counting the Archaeopteryx as a "flying reptile" as well, but even then most of Papo's are still in production: Pteranodon, Tupuxuara and Quetzalcoatlus.

Regarding marine reptiles, I think there's quite a bit of choice for mosasaurs and pliosaurs, but not enough for other types of marine reptiles.  Long-necked plesiosaurs are some of my favourite prehistoric animals, but I currently don't have any figures of them due to a tendency for them to be represented with exaggerated skin detail, in my opinion.  I doubt Papo is the company that will make good marine reptile figures, at least of the more streamlined animals, as they tend to focus on detail too much at times.

Additionally, as avatar_Takama @Takama mentioned, Papo has made a Plesiosaurus.  If they were to make new marine reptiles, I would guess next they would do a pliosaur, or a Jurassic World-inspired Mosasaurus even though Papo has already made a Tylosaurus too.

Personally, I feel that currently Eofauna is the company most likely to be able to make a long-necked plesiosaur that I'll want to have.  I would love to see them make a Thalassomedon!

Oh i thought the Tupuxuara was also being retired lol.

I share the same thoughts on marine  reptiles, i haven't found a single good plesiosaur or mosasaur or really any marine animal that id want on my shelf. Really hoping eofauna makes something like that. Im gonna have to see if theres even any resin kits now lol

CityRaptor

Seems like the "Rainbow" Running T.rex is discontinued, too.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

Everything Dinosaur confirmed in their latest blog post that Tupuxuara too is discontinued, despite being still featured in the 2019 catalogue. Strange.

oscars_dinos

looks like my fear of them releasing the brown rex came true.... with that being said I don't really think we needed the repaints, any one know the likely hood of them releasing more new molds later on in the year???

Shonisaurus

Quote from: imnewhere on December 18, 2018, 03:15:45 AM
looks like my fear of them releasing the brown rex came true.... with that being said I don't really think we needed the repaints, any one know the likely hood of them releasing more new molds later on in the year???

Honestly I do not think Papo will release more dinosaurs in the remainder of this year.

Papo unfortunately is not like Schleich that sells news in June. We will have to wait until 2020. What they put in the Papo 2019 catalog is something immovable.

Minmiminime

Ah...got to wait until June for the Pentaceratops and Gorgosaurus. No further new releases, as far as ED are aware https://www.facebook.com/154141751286381/posts/2168182759882260/
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Sincerely, all the companies leave the most interesting figures for the end. We'll have to wait until after summer in my case. The physical stores of dinosaurs take much longer to receive the news of 2019.

Saurox

This has been such a disappointing year from papo :(

Ceratosaurus

I myself have yet to have owned any of the previous versions of the Papo Stegosaurus. I'm actually looking forward to picking this one up as the paint application on previous versions had declined over the years. Same goes for the Allosaurus, which I own a more recent copy of and will most likely pick up the new version as I'm sure it would look much better than the version I have. The Gorgo is a guaranteed buy for me and I'll wait and see how the Pentaceratops looks on three legs. Maybe it's good they didn't make more so I don't go broke.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Reptilia

Got some interesting news, and guess what? There's actually one more! Been speaking back to the person who previously told me there were six new models to be released in 2019, and asked why there's only five in the catalogue. They told me in reply that there's another one set for a release later in the year, and that it is quite a big one. I strongly suspect it is going to be part of another exclusive box set, and that we'll be getting it as a standalone release in 2020. Papo's not new to preview stuff with advance releases. Could be the Giga, eventually?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: