News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

They could've made better decisions for good sculpts just by looking at the forums and the general dinosaur community.

They missed their biggest profits with some popular requests already.

Their Giganotosaurus could've been something that would be been an ace in the hole for them had they released one a while ago. Now we got Vitae, Eofauna and that 700 dollar resin kit that was limited that have set a standard as well as alot of us are already satisfied with those 3 that unless papo makes one in a non silly pose and puts more effort it's gonna be a maybe for most people now.

A stygy is under way from Rebor,  missed opportunity.
A better stego from Rebor.
A better allo from w Dragon.
A better t rex and spino, both jp and non jp
from rebor
A better v rex than the badly thrown together running t rex.
A better ankylo from Rebor

I just feel like maybe updating their old sculpts like the allo and rex and spino would do them some good. I feel like papo has alot of potential to really deliver, doesn't have to be a Giganotosaurus no, but I wish to see more of what people/community request from them than a few random dinosaurs that most people don't really buy.

Then again it's a company and they do what's best for the company and their kids oriented toys lol

Reptilia

I'm afraid Papo is oriented on just repainting the popular dinos in their line, they started with both rexes and the raptor, which are easily their best sellers, and now Allosaurus and Stegosaurus together are even a stronger sign in that direction. Don't be surprised if we'll be getting repaints for things like Triceratops and Spinosaurus in the next years.

I would be interested in see completely new sculpts for those, but I understand that maybe repaints are a cheaper and safer option, commercially speaking. We always fossilize (no pun intended) on what we adult collectors want, but we must take into account that these companies care for what the general public buys, rather than a small niche market like us demands.

With that said I think that as Papo fans we can still be very satisfied. If I look back at the last three years I see amazing stuff like the Baryonyx, the Kaprosuchus, the Ceratosaurus, the Acrocanthosaurus, the Cryolophosaurus, the Therizinosaurus, the Quetzalcoatlus and now the Pentaceratops. If people prefer Rebor then go for it, I'm fine with what Papo brings to the table honestly. And the less new models they release per year the less I have to fork out to keep my collection updated.

Minmiminime

Quote from: Reptilia on January 05, 2019, 08:37:49 PM
I'm afraid Papo is oriented on just repainting the popular dinos in their line, they started with both rexes and the raptor, which are easily their best sellers, and now Allosaurus and Stegosaurus together are even a stronger sign in that direction. Don't be surprised if we'll be getting repaints for things like Triceratops and Spinosaurus in the next years.

I would be interested in see completely new sculpts for those, but I understand that maybe repaints are a cheaper and safer option, commercially speaking. We always fossilize (no pun intended) on what we adult collectors want, but we must take into account that these companies care for what the general public buys, rather than a small niche market like us demands.

With that said I think that as Papo fans we can still be very satisfied. If I look back at the last three years I see amazing stuff like the Baryonyx, the Kaprosuchus, the Ceratosaurus, the Acrocanthosaurus, the Cryolophosaurus, the Therizinosaurus, the Quetzalcoatlus and now the Pentaceratops. If people prefer Rebor then go for it, I'm fine with what Papo brings to the table honestly. And the less new models they release per year the less I have to fork out to keep my collection updated.

Hear, hear!  ;D Papo did interact with the forum briefly, and seemed keen on producing a Koreaceratops if I remember correctly, and they did ask for members' opinions. It's a shame their interaction was short lived! Anyway, as someone who likes small, dull ornithischians I'd love a Koreaceratops
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Reptilia

The interaction with this forum is a false myth, as far as I know the korean sculptor only given an interview about his work for Papo, and then said interview was linked and translated here. If I'm not wrong the source for all this was a blog called Papo Korea, which I think is no longer active, and the Koreaceratops thing came from some kind of online poll that the blog held. Quite unsurprisingly something called Koreaceratops was among the first choices.

That was just an interaction between korean fans and Papo's korean sculptor, the company itself wasn't involved at all. He revealed some upcoming releases and plans at the time: we knew in advance the 2016 line up and we had mentioned for the first time Iguanodon and Acrocanthosaurus, which both came out in later years. He also mentioned Giganotosaurus as a possible future release, and that's where everyone's Papo Giga obsession started.

The closest thing to an interaction Papo ever had with fans, in terms of fulfilling their dreams, is probably the upcoming reissue of the brown running rex. People have been asking for it on Papo's Facebook for years.

dragon53

I don't use Facebook, so have Papo fans been asking for a Giganotosaurus on Papo Facebook?

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: dragon53 on January 05, 2019, 11:41:57 PM
I don't use Facebook, so have Papo fans been asking for a Giganotosaurus on Papo Facebook?

The last time I saw anything regarding a Giganotosaurus from fans on Papos FB was back in 2017

suspsy

As galling as it may be to some people, repaints sell well, or at least they do in Papo's case. I can't imagine they would have repainted both the original Velociraptor and the Running Rex this many times if it wasn't turning a profit for them. I fully expect them to repaint the Triceratops next. Or maybe the Parasaurolophus or the Ankylosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

japfeif

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on January 05, 2019, 06:48:03 PM
I just feel like maybe updating their old sculpts like the allo and rex and spino would do them some good. I feel like papo has alot of potential to really deliver, doesn't have to be a Giganotosaurus no, but I wish to see more of what people/community request from them than a few random dinosaurs that most people don't really buy.

Then again it's a company and they do what's best for the company and their kids oriented toys lol

It's crazy that here in 2019 folks are wanting a new sculpt for the Allosaurus already...I remember when the Allo came out a few years ago, everyone was just raving about it, how it was so inventive and unique and one of the best sculpts ever.  Now, the Spinosaurus is probably the one that sticks out to me the most as in need of a resculpt. It needed one back several years ago when it was found that the fin was totally the wrong shape (isn't the Papo Spino just about the only Spino from the major companies to still have the rounded dorsal fin?), and now that it's known that it's posture is totally different than originally thought, this would be a great chance for Papo to come out with a killer Spino (maybe take a gander at Schleich's new one!).
Some folks are wanting a new Triceratops sculpt, but personally I think the Ankylosaurus is more in need of an overhaul than the Trike!

Takama

As some had said, the paint aplications on Papo figures have taken a nose dive over the years,  so i rather them repaint them in a frsh new coat, then just to see there models get Crappier Paint aplications as the years go by.

Compare this Stegosaurus
from the blog

To this one From years later

Honestly, I rather Have a fresh new scheme as oposed to that last image

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: japfeif on January 07, 2019, 01:04:49 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on January 05, 2019, 06:48:03 PM

It's crazy that here in 2019 folks are wanting a new sculpt for the Allosaurus already...I remember when the Allo came out a few years ago, everyone was just raving about it, how it was so inventive and unique and one of the best sculpts ever.  Now, the Spinosaurus is probably the one that sticks out to me the most as in need of a resculpt. It needed one back several years ago when it was found that the fin was totally the wrong shape (isn't the Papo Spino just about the only Spino from the major companies to still have the rounded dorsal fin?), and now that it's known that it's posture is totally different than originally thought, this would be a great chance for Papo to come out with a killer Spino (maybe take a gander at Schleich's new one!).
Some folks are wanting a new Triceratops sculpt, but personally I think the Ankylosaurus is more in need of an overhaul than the Trike!

I started collecting in 2017 long after the allo was released in 2008, all I want is for the arms to be updated that's all. Then again it's not much of an issue to me anymore as W Dragon's Allosaurus is what my perfect allo would be like so there's that lol.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Takama on January 07, 2019, 01:53:00 AM
As some had said, the paint aplications on Papo figures have taken a nose dive over the years,  so i rather them repaint them in a frsh new coat, then just to see there models get Crappier Paint aplications as the years go by.

Compare this Stegosaurus
from the blog

I thought it was two different paint jobs lol. I was always looking for the old one above the other one but I figured I should wait for the Rebor one

BRONSON

Yeah I quite fancy buying the Rebor Steg when it comes out.

Shonisaurus

What I regret a lot of Papo regardless of that as discussed should be updated the spinosaurus and put it in the same scientific parity as those of Schleich, Collecta or Safari to give three examples, that the current spinosaurus of Papo is of worse quality than its original .

As I already mentioned because my original spinosaurus by Papo (magnificent sculpture by the way) was sticky I bought a new figure at shop.modellpferdeversand.de and what is my astonishment that the new spinosaurus was of worse quality than the original in details, paint and sculpture looked like two different companies. My reaction was to keep the original spinosaurus and the new sell it, I do not have another option. As he says, I came out shorn.

I do not understand in relation to the current Papo spinosaurus its descent in quality with respect to the original spinosaurus. I think it was mentioned in a post months ago about this problem of Papo but I still cross the reason for that attitude on the part of Papo.  :(

BRONSON

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 09, 2019, 04:40:21 PM
What I regret a lot of Papo regardless of that as discussed should be updated the spinosaurus and put it in the same scientific parity as those of Schleich, Collecta or Safari to give three examples, that the current spinosaurus of Papo is of worse quality than its original .

As I already mentioned because my original spinosaurus by Papo (magnificent sculpture by the way) was sticky I bought a new figure at shop.modellpferdeversand.de and what is my astonishment that the new spinosaurus was of worse quality than the original in details, paint and sculpture looked like two different companies. My reaction was to keep the original spinosaurus and the new sell it, I do not have another option. As he says, I came out shorn.

I do not understand in relation to the current Papo spinosaurus its descent in quality with respect to the original spinosaurus. I think it was mentioned in a post months ago about this problem of Papo but I still cross the reason for that attitude on the part of Papo.  :(

This Papo Spinosaur looks stonking, I love the pose and the details, its a shame they reckon that its not anatomically correct now,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NUN5YU/ref=asc_df_B000NUN5YU57948843/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B000NUN5YU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310809145376&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9312257438857387518&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046230&hvtargid=pla-440651667824

Which one dont you like, I have only seen this one before ?

waste_management

Quote from: Takama on January 07, 2019, 01:53:00 AM

Compare this Stegosaurus
from the blog

i have seen somewhere that the stego had 3 different paintjobs since its release. The first with the light dots on his plates was in my opinion the most detailed and most apealing. Then there is the other one with the honey coloured dots  the one i see in stores now(at least here in Munich) with plain light brown plates without detail and an overal more brownish green.
In my opinion the new repaints are really needed because the quality was really going down on the older figures when it comes to paint jobs.
My guess would be that they where putting more focus on new releases... and cutting costs by lowering the paint quality of the old ones.

....like seriously... i wanted to by another allosaurus last year and it looked like they got them all at aliexpress!

Ceratosaurus

For those out there wondering the Gorgosaurus will be able to balance itself without leaning on its tail. https://youtu.be/VO5VKiynbjo
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Flaffy

That tail looks a bit... off.

Syndicate Bias

Papo isn't having the best year this time. Kinda glad considering PNSO is pumping out models in the dozens

Jose S.M.

I think it's a pretty nice figure, nothing too mind blowing but very good. The legs a little too spread to me.

Brocc21

Quote from: japfeif on January 07, 2019, 01:04:49 AM

Well the Papo spino isn't supposed to be accurate. It's a Jurassic Parck inspired figure.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: