News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Yeah, once you get past the hype, it becomes all too clear that this is yet another Papo figure that's more monster than animal. It's definitely an improvement over the first Spinosaurus, but that's setting the bar low.

As I said before, I'm perfectly happy with my two Standard-class toys from CollectA, but I think the upcoming Safari version is probably the best out of all of them.

Also, limited edition or not, the Papo one is going to be bloody expensive. Glad I stopped collecting that brand.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Saurox

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 01, 2019, 10:06:56 AM
Haha.

I knew people were being silly and dramatic when they said that 2019 will be Papo's worst year. It seems that every year is their worst year only to become their best year  >:D

Also, we haven't even seen that Penta in a quadruped pose (interesting world we live in which spino is quadraped and penta biped)!

A half decent Spino still doesn't rescue a poor year.

MLMjp

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on February 01, 2019, 10:46:56 AM
I already wasn't sure which new Spino to get, Safari or Schleich... And now Papo has to make the decision even harder! :P
It would be a really stupid move to make it a limited edition though, I'm sure a lot of people would love to buy this sculpt.
avatar_Nanuqsaurus @Nanuqsaurus for me is quite the oposite, before this I did not know which one to choose. Now I know that I want this Papo Spinosaurus. ^-^

suspsy

Quote from: Sentry on February 01, 2019, 01:15:41 PM
Haha.

I knew people were being silly and dramatic when they said that 2019 will be Papo's worst year. It seems that every year is their worst year only to become their best year  >:D

Also, we haven't even seen that Penta in a quadruped pose (interesting world we live in which spino is quadraped and penta biped)!

A half decent Spino still doesn't rescue a poor year.

Indeed. Only three new toys and three repaints, one of which has already been done twice before. Granted, Safari is also releasing a T. rex repaint that's been done twice previously, but they easily make up for that with nine new toys.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on February 01, 2019, 01:14:30 PM
Yeah, once you get past the hype, it becomes all too clear that this is yet another Papo figure that's more monster than animal. It's definitely an improvement over the first Spinosaurus, but that's setting the bar low.

As I said before, I'm perfectly happy with my two Standard-class toys from CollectA, but I think the upcoming Safari version is probably the best out of all of them.

Also, limited edition or not, the Papo one is going to be bloody expensive. Glad I stopped collecting that brand.

I own the CollectA Deluxe 2015 version,and I'm super happy with it.It's my personal favorite of "the new Spinosaurus" figures, although the new Safari version is pretty good ( probably too big scale size aside) .Then again, the only issue with CollectA's is the shrink wrapped skull.I think the most likely terrestrial pose for Spinosaurus would have been an upright  stance,but, with so much uncertainty of its locomotion, the quadrupedal pose is certainly not out of question.

And yeah,I also stopped buying Papo figures.The last one I got was their 2014 Dilophosaurus.
The weird poses they usually use, the many scientific inaccuracies, the monster look they always go for and also too expensive price has stopped me from getting any more Papos.I just don't think they are worth picking up anymore.
Their price is usually around the same as an Eofauna figure, and there's just no comparison between both.The actual accuracy,  realistic detail ( not just adding plenty of big scales with no reason) and the real animal look rather than an exaggerated monster one make Eofauna a much superior company imo.

Shonisaurus

Scientifically, the spinosaurus versions of Collecta, Schleich and Safari are superior. But honestly the one that I like the most for its details is undoubtedly Papo's (which may be in the background with the versions of Rebor and PNSO).

I sincerely know that it is not a scientific figure but I really like the spinosaurus of Papo version of 2019. I understand that many members of the forum do not like Papo for his modern paleoartistic style but honestly I am very happy with the spinosaurus of Papo and honestly it is one of the best made by a toy company and rivals with resin versions, although I also have to admit that they are more precise and superfluous also those of the three companies mentioned in my first paragraph, that does not mean that for me one of the best spinosaurus made by a toy brand and we must thank Papo for his titanic effort in the realization of this figure.

It is true that many figures of Papo follow a philosophy of modern or avant-garde art as it happens with his baryonyx but sincerely this spinosaurus of Papo 2019 with the inaccuracies (tail of eel) observed by the members of the forum is a real dinosaur that has nothing to do with other figures of the same brand.

sony

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 01, 2019, 03:09:23 PM
Scientifically, the spinosaurus versions of Collecta, Schleich and Safari are superior. But honestly the one that I like the most for its details is undoubtedly Papo's (which may be in the background with the versions of Rebor and PNSO).

I sincerely know that it is not a scientific figure but I really like the spinosaurus of Papo version of 2019. I understand that many members of the forum do not like Papo for his modern paleoartistic style but honestly I am very happy with the spinosaurus of Papo and honestly it is one of the best made by a toy company and rivals with resin versions, although I also have to admit that they are more precise and superfluous also those of the three companies mentioned in my first paragraph, that does not mean that for me one of the best spinosaurus made by a toy brand and we must thank Papo for his titanic effort in the realization of this figure.

It is true that many figures of Papo follow a philosophy of modern or avant-garde art as it happens with his baryonyx but sincerely this spinosaurus of Papo 2019 with the inaccuracies (tail of eel) observed by the members of the forum is a real dinosaur that has nothing to do with other figures of the same brand.

My thoughts exactly , if you were to ask someone who doesn't know much about dinosaurs except From seeing them on  films or ask someone who doesn't give a heck about dinosaurs , and you show them Papo , schleich , safari , collectA and rebor , 99% of them would say rebor and Papo stomps the other 3 . In terms of detail and realism , it's not even a contest 

Atokensis

I love the new quadrupedal Spino! Here's another pic.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: sony on February 01, 2019, 03:18:31 PM

My thoughts exactly , if you were to ask someone who doesn't know much about dinosaurs except From seeing them on  films or ask someone who doesn't give a heck about dinosaurs , and you show them Papo , schleich , safari , collectA and rebor , 99% of them would say rebor and Papo stomps the other 3 . In terms of detail and realism , it's not even a contest

I see we agree on the spinosaurus. Sincerely many dinosaurs and prehistoric animals (such as spinosaurus) are known for isolated remains and although we knew all the fossil material, and I say with all respect and love to the members of DTF that do not match my thoughts, the reconstructions are speculative , we have observed it in the Doug Watson Safari stegosaurus that in my case dozens of years thought that its "retro" form was the true one and if someone stops to think it can reach the following conclusion:

Has anyone been able to photograph the real dinosaurs and prehistoric animals? Do we have a video or camera or even a recorder to know how they really were and what sounds they made? It's all speculative. I like scientific representations but I am not bothered by avant-garde paleoartistic art at all.

I was critical a long time ago (and not long ago) with the representations of Papo but I have rectified and in my case it was wise and prudent to rectify it.

Honestly and that I ask paleontologists even prehistoric Pleistocene mammals about many species of prehistoric animals of which little is preserved. Does anyone have a video camera of those times? I emphasize that I say with all respect and consideration to the rest of the DTF members who do not think like me.

The toys of dinosaurs is a kind of art as are the paintings of Zhao Chuang, Luis Rey or Julius Csotonyi for giving three examples. Each artist has his philosophy and the same goes for artists who make figures of dinosaurs or other extinct prehistoric animals. We all have the right to say which is our favorite paleo artist in this case I really like Papo's spinosaurus and I do not think twice about it. I admit that unfortunately I have no idea of ​​paleontology but even having it I would never know what was the true image of most prehistoric animals and dinosaurs.

If at least the frozen spinosaurus had remained like the primigenius mammoth, we could more accurately say which is the best paleoartistic representation of that prehistoric animal without a doubt.

dragon53

Here's another video which mentions the eel-like tail (44 seconds elapsed time).

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7gjN1oJX5E

Concavenator

Yes, exactly, if you showed someone those models you mentioned, anyone who has no idea of dinosaurs would say the best ones are Papo's and Rebor's.Precisely because they have no idea of dinosaurs  ;) .
So I agree with you on that.However, I really disagree on your second point.Why would you say that the more inaccurate , monster looking ones are more  realistic than the more accurate and natural looking ones?  ??? And regarding to  the detail, in many cases detaling so much ( by detailing I mean adding lots and lots of scales,the more scales the better) actually makes a figure more inaccurate.Those scales you see would be way too big in real life.So adding realistic detail would be adding wrinkes or very small scales ( or no scaling detail at all).Because in real life,you would barely see any scale at all.So I would say Battat, Eofauna and Carnegie all have much better detail than Papo and Rebor respectively.

Also,it's not that I hate Papo.I have some Papo figures in my collection,and I think their sculptor has a lot of talent,but I'm not interested in their monster dinosaurs and their high price.

Syndicate Bias

I really like it. I have to agree with you avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus

Papo has an amazing line up over the years. Even though their sculpts  may not be the most accurate. They still make an amazing work of art that rivals resin figures for a relatively cheap price. It's not expensive like the hundreds of dollars worth of resin kits or the Chinese companies like Vitae ( mostly just their giganotosaurus and majungasaurus) and PNSO (although their prices have been cheap so far aside from T Rex Wilson) and Nanmu (only their Indominus Rex which is only 80 dollars which is relatively decent) that have a hefty price tag compared to these more tame prices of Rebor and Papo.

Im looking forward to obtaining this figure. Summer couldn't come here sooner  ^-^

sony

Quote from: Concavenator on February 01, 2019, 03:52:56 PM

Yes, exactly, if you showed someone those models you mentioned, anyone who has no idea of dinosaurs would say the best ones are Papo's and Rebor's.Precisely because they have no idea of dinosaurs  ;) .
So I agree with you on that.However, I really disagree on your second point.Why would you say that the more inaccurate , monster looking ones are more  realistic than the more accurate and natural looking ones?  ??? And regarding to  the detail, in many cases detaling so much ( by detailing I mean adding lots and lots of scales,the more scales the better) actually makes a figure more inaccurate.Those scales you see would be way too big in real life.So adding realistic detail would be adding wrinkes or very small scales ( or no scaling detail at all).Because in real life,you would barely see any scale at all.So I would say Battat, Eofauna and Carnegie all have much better detail than Papo and Rebor respectively.

Also,it's not that I hate Papo.I have some Papo figures in my collection,and I think their sculptor has a lot of talent,but I'm not interested in their monster dinosaurs and their high price.

By realistic and detailed , I meant if you were to look at them closely , you might have a feeling that this thing is breathing and it's gonna come bite you any moment , so far schleich and collectA doesn't have that feeling and the only safari that has that sort of feeling is their postosuchus , but I could have missed a few , do let me know if there's any more realistic ones from the 3 companies mentioned ., accuracies aside . 

As for Papo ones , most of them look alive if you were to enlarge them by  40 times. The compy could easily scare off kids who just watched the lost world , that is realism , not many companies could do that

Not to mention the rebor  so called  jp movie monster velociraptors by you scientific folks  ,if  you look into their eyes , they stare right back at you like what dr Alan grant said .  Gunn and Alex Delarge are the creepiest in my opinion .

Show a safari feathered rex that is awesome by the way to a stranger of dinosaurs and they are gonna laugh about it . Can't say the same for the rebor and Papo rex , they will show respect to those .

Halichoeres

Haha.

I propose a new term for posts declaring each year to be Papo's best year ever: Papologetics.

This Spino is pretty nice, though. Not the nicest 2019 Spinosaurus, but the competition sure is stiff. I think I'll go for the PNSO because it's supposed to come with a sawfish, and the main way to get prehistoric fish figures is as prey.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 01, 2019, 12:08:58 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on January 31, 2019, 10:08:11 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on January 31, 2019, 09:35:08 PM
Quote from: paintingdinos on January 31, 2019, 09:21:02 PM
What does limited edition mean in regards to Papo? Will it have limited distribution, or just be available for a limited amount of time? Both?

Who would have known that Papo would release a Spinosaurus that is superior to that WS, REBOR, PNSO, CollectA, Favorite and Schleich....where are the haters now.
Since I was summoned  ;)

I still think the REBOR one looks the best personally by a large margin, followed by Wild Safari, then closely by this new Papo. And in regards to accuracy, well, it does just about every thing it shouldn't have done (not that PNSO's, Favorite's, and CollectA's don't have all the same issues and, imo, look much less pleasant).

Meanwhile, I don't understand all the hate for the Gorgosaurus and Pentaceratops. Gorgosaurus is based on the WWD version, and while I wish it had that iridescent colourscheme the movie did, it's a quite faithful rendition even despite that.

And both of them overcame the accusations of strange poses with flying colours, with photos now showing Gorgosaurus can stand without its tail, and Pentaceratops has its toes bent so it can be posed standing normally on the ground.

Haha  :)

What are your thoughts for the Papo Spinosaurus as seen from the other angle (as revealed in the above video)? I think the proportions look a bit more accurate there.
I wasn't even considering the proportions, there is a fair bit of wiggle room there (in terms of the neck and tail length at least). I was thinking of the knuckle walking, the shrink-wrapping on the spines and back of the skull, and the strange kink in its back before the hips. Though they manage to make all of it, even the back dip, work aesthetically and it's a mighty beautiful thing indeed.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on February 01, 2019, 01:14:30 PM

I'm actually fine with the first Papo Spino, it is what it looks like, a really nice Jurassic Park Spinosaurus. All inaccuracies can be attributed to that fact.

What bothers me is I can overlook some minor things like oversized teeth, a little shrinkwrapping, ect.. heck they even got the huge thick arms right on this one..but then they blow it on the tail.  It's not a paleoartist decision to totally make up something we know it didn't have.   You can flatten out the tail a bit, make it crocodilian, they are distantly related.  But why add a fish tail?  There is no way that looks right...unless it's a SyFy channel monster.    One thing is for sure a lot of folks can't complain about Jurassic Park designs if theyapprove of this in total appearance.

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 01, 2019, 05:16:20 PM
What bothers me is I can overlook some minor things like oversized teeth, a little shrinkwrapping, ect.. heck they even got the huge thick arms right on this one..but then they blow it on the tail.  It's not a paleoartist decision to totally make up something we know it didn't have.   You can flatten out the tail a bit, make it crocodilian, they are distantly related.  But why add a fish tail?  There is no way that looks right...unless it's a SyFy channel monster.    One thing is for sure a lot of folks can't complain about Jurassic Park designs if theyapprove of this in total appearance.

Is the tail totally falsifiable, though? We haven't gotten a good look at it, but I have been assuming it's meant as a soft-tissue structure, something that wouldn't be evident in a fossil skeleton. Similar to webbing between its toes or the dorsal fin on the new PNSO Mosasaurus.

Concavenator

Show a safari feathered rex that is awesome by the way to a stranger of dinosaurs and they are gonna laugh about it . Can't say the same for the rebor and Papo rex , they will show respect to those .

The difference between Papo's and Rebor's Tyrannosaurus and Safari's ( and also CollectA's ) is that Papo's  and Rebor's aim with those sculpts is showing a frightening monster that never existed, whereas Safari's and CollectA's intention is showing an accurate and natural animal that did indeed exist.

I do appreciate their sculpting skills and high quality sculpts, but that's it.For me those qualities are useless if instead of making an accurate, real animal they give us a monster.

For that matter,I think that,for instance, a McFarlane dragon  accomplishes its mission way more efficiently than a Papo dinosaur.The McFarlane dragon represents a monster and it does that perfectly.However, Papo can't use a "too monster" look because they are supposedly representing a dinosaur, yet they won't do it as accurate as possible because if they do so, it wouldn't look like a monster either,but rather a normal creature.

In my personal opinion I believe that Safari,CollectA and Eofauna are the companies that better do their work, that is , making scientifically accurate,beautiful and affordable models ,and that is exactly what I look for in a dinosaur model.

However,if other people like Papo and Rebor,that's alright.Not every one of us likes the same things.

BRONSON

Makes me laugh how many experts on here seemed to be around when dinosaurs were alive to know what they exactly should of looked like  ^-^, yes we can 'guess' their structure from bones, and fossilised skin helps us know the texture of some, but there is not a single person on this planet who knows what they looked like for sure, they could of been pink with yellow spots and had dreadlocks for all we know, most of what we do know is from self taught scientists, who we know over time change their minds every couple of years, about how something looked and lived, I have fossil dinosaur teeth and one of them has had 5 latin name changes, and a complete species change in 10 years, we need to cut the model makers some slack, if you dont like or agree with a model dont buy it no one makes you, buy it because you like it.  ;)

Concavenator

Saying that we don't know what a dinosaur looked like for sure is a very frequent argument that people who are defending an accuracy flawed representation use.And there's some true to that, of course.

But you can't just go and represent a featherless dromaeosaur ( for example) and say: " Well, nobody has seen one , therefore my representation is as valid as anyone else's"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: