News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Andreioli on February 18, 2019, 04:20:36 PM
Here's an in-hand photo of the 2019 Papo Allosaurus repaint from ED's Instagram:

head paint looks good but the body..not so much. Why does the tail have Kanji on it?

Shonisaurus

Honestly, what I see that Papo allosaurus is not well repainted is that it still has those white teeth that in the natural world are impossible for any animal to have. The color of the marble is not white but yellowish, that's what I do not like about allosaurus apart from the details of the tail.

On the other hand the bent tail gives a movement effect I do not understand paleontology but honestly who am I to judge in my case what would be the real appearance of an allosaurus in motion? I have not lived at that time and despite the fossil evidence you can not honestly prove the whole reality. On the other hand, I have my primary preferences regarding allosaurus and it is in reference to another brand that I will not name because it has nothing to do with the thread.

hao_bao

Allo repaint isn't different enough from the original to warrant a purchase. I'll be skipping on this one.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: hao_bao on February 18, 2019, 07:12:00 PM
Allo repaint isn't different enough from the original to warrant a purchase. I'll be skipping on this one.

Out of all the repaints I think the same, its a an ok update but I honestly prefer the original, I'm still getting it for the sake of having my collection complete but

Shonisaurus

Quote from: imnewhere on February 18, 2019, 07:45:15 PM
Quote from: hao_bao on February 18, 2019, 07:12:00 PM

Out of all the repaints I think the same, its a an ok update but I honestly prefer the original, I'm still getting it for the sake of having my collection complete but

I confirm your opinion. I will buy it in order to complete the collection. Anyway I like repainting more than its previous version.

SidB

I was equivocating on this purchase, since I have a copy of the original. Now - I think not.

Shadowknight1

Honestly, I like the new colors.  It makes it more vibrant, IMO.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

hao_bao

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 19, 2019, 03:40:09 AM
Honestly, I like the new colors.  It makes it more vibrant, IMO.

It's only really the head that's different

oscars_dinos

what I really hate is the white stripe... I don't hate that its there I just think it doesn't flow with the neck properly, its almost to stiff not allowing for it to follow the natural path of the neck.... but that's me nit picking....

Melanite

I can't help but see the repainted Allosaurus's white spots on a blue field, combined with the white stripe on red, and think that it looks like a 'Murica lizard.

I'm a bit sheepish to admit that the country hick in me kinda likes it...

hao_bao

Quote from: Melanite on February 19, 2019, 07:29:52 PM
I can't help but see the repainted Allosaurus's white spots on a blue field, combined with the white stripe on red, and think that it looks like a 'Murica lizard.

I'm a bit sheepish to admit that the country hick in me kinda likes it...

Well done, you've succeeded in putting me off it even more  :)) :))

Honestly though, the more I look at it, the more I think Papo are being quite audacious marketing it as a 'repaint.'

Faelrin

I like the colors, but all the same I prefer the original coloration. Must be the nostalgia I have from seeing that figure online because of finding a JPOG mod that used its colors for an Allosaurus skin, back in 2010 or something, before I even knew about Papo and all their JP knockoffs. And yet I still don't have the thing. Maybe when May (if not sooner) comes around I'll correct that. Would be good to get that before I get the Spinosaurus too. This one should have always been my first. I'll just have to resort to Ebay and stalk it for one that looks good enough (unless Dejankins has some).

Edit: Just got an Allosaurus on ebay. Pretty sure it might be the 2008/earlier version too. But will have to have it in hand and compare it to others. In the images it had good paint apps along the neck and back, and along the jaw, which is why I'm thinking it is an earlier version.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

hao_bao

Papo hasn't done a single ornithomimid yet. They need to stop catering to the petulant carnies. Gorgo should have been a gallimimus.

Minmiminime

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin best of luck! It's an awesome figure either way, but there's a massive difference in the quality of the paint apps of the oldest runs. I was having a look at some of the most recent ones in a local department store last night and they have far duller and less intricate paint, but it's still pretty good compared to a lot of figures
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

tanystropheus

Quote from: hao_bao on February 21, 2019, 02:31:22 PM
Papo hasn't done a single ornithomimid yet. They need to stop catering to the petulant carnies. Gorgo should have been a gallimimus.

But then people would accuse them of making only JP toys! Papo can't win, regardless  :-\

Syndicate Bias

I just want my papo Giganotosaurus;-;

Shonisaurus

S @Syndicate Bias Totally agree. I hope there is a Papo giganotosaurus at Christmas 2019 or early 2020. I have my hopes. Papo has already produced a fabulous 2019 spinosaurus, although limited it is perhaps the best figure of all the toy lines. Just missing Rebor and PNSO and maybe Vitae? I also have my hopes.

hao_bao

I understand that carnivores sell better but the ratio of carnivores to herbivores with Papo dinosaurs is massively skewed. For diorama and display purposes it's a nightmare. Can't buy duplicates of existing herbivores for herds because they're all in the same pose.

Shonisaurus

H @hao_bao According to this case with you, the carnivorous dinosaurs are more represented than the herbivores, I suppose it is a commercial strategy, a very high percentage of carnivorous dinosaurs is represented in the toy market. Unfortunately, the herbivorous dinosaurs, especially the small herbivorous herbivorous dinosaurs of the Triassic, are poorly represented.

Papo has together made a pentaceratops this year against two carnivores (gorgosaurus and spinosaurus).

hao_bao

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 22, 2019, 10:59:05 AM
H @hao_bao According to this case with you, the carnivorous dinosaurs are more represented than the herbivores, I suppose it is a commercial strategy, a very high percentage of carnivorous dinosaurs is represented in the toy market. Unfortunately, the herbivorous dinosaurs, especially the small herbivorous herbivorous dinosaurs of the Triassic, are poorly represented.

Papo has together made a pentaceratops this year against two carnivores (gorgosaurus and spinosaurus).

That's true, and to be honest I'd struggle to even name a Triassic dinosaur beyond Plateosaurus, Coelophysis, and Herrerasaurus. That's 3 more than the average person could manage. The Triassic period is looked upon as the 'prototype' phase.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: