News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Yeah the eel tail is pretty strange. It is definitely apparent in this pic, when I could not be sure with the others. In any case though I am still planning on getting this one, since I love the coloration and detail work it has.

Now that I finally have myself a Papo Allosaurus, I can see that this one will no doubt be an absolute unit in size, if using the previous images where they where side by side, and will tower over my other models in my collection, with the exception being the Safari Ltd Apatosaurus and Feathered Tyrannosaurus (not counting my Mattel JW figures, and maybe my BotM figures, etc which are larger, and likely larger still).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shadowknight1

I actually really like the fin on the tail.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

oscars_dinos

Has anyone who preordered one with everything dinosaur gotten an update or are we all still in the dark till June

oscars_dinos

And as for what I'm guessing will be the Spinos official stock photo.... I think its head looks smaller in that picture and I am also realizing the tail is a little more awkward than I once thought.... I still love and need that figure in my life tho

MLMjp

I still think it looks really cool.
The tail is definitely something strange that you don't see everyday, but considering how it is, is not that bad to be honest.

Mironimus

I was told that this Spinosaurus will be released September / October.

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

Syndicate Bias

Everything Dinosaur said they would have it in June or did it change as well for them?

Mironimus

Well, I never had the info that the Spinosaurus will be delivered in June.
But I requested the release date again.
When I receive the answer from Papo I will let you know.

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

PhilSauria

I'm pleased that the first images to surface of this figure were from the display of the real deal as this promo image really does not sell it as well as they did - it looks much more impressive in the initial photos. I would have been placing my order just the same but that first sight of it had much more impact on me.

Minmiminime

As far as I'm aware, there haven't been any announcements to that end...either way, I'm happy to wait for this gorgeous figure 😁

I'm not bothered about the tail, if it was mostly aquatic and an active predator and not an ambush-hunter, then the tail was probably the primary propulsion, so some kind of adaptation seems likely, especially given the rigidity of the torso. Semi-aquatic reptiles like marine iguanas or water dragons do tend to have a crest along the dorsal surface of the tail, and I'm sure I've seen a species of sea snake with a tail fluke somewhat like this 🤔 Of course if it was actively aquatic the skin would likely be smooth, but hey..!

Off-topic, but I do have concerns about the current reconstruction anyway; if it was barely able to crawl on to land and was mostly aquatic, was it mostly confined to the surface on account of that huge sail on the back? Surely a big flat surface area like that would cause issues with steering under water and would be subject to buffeting from currents?! If this was the case, does that mean then that maybe it wasn't actually covered in skin? :o If it was more like a hippo or heron and was standing or mostly submerged in water then that big sail would be excellent for a number of very good physiological reasons, but I can't get my head around its function in an almost permanent active swimmer! I can't help but wonder how niche-partitioning with their juveniles worked, too. But, pterosaurs had some highly improbable adaptations that look terrible for flying, so whatever Spinosaurus was doing, it worked..!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

avatar_Andreioli @Andreioli Is it true that Papo's spinosaurus is limited depending on the link that you have provided close to 1,000 euros? It is too high a price and not even many of the best resin figures are paid for this price. :o

tanystropheus

Quote from: Mironimus on February 25, 2019, 02:54:37 PM
Limited Edition Spinosaurus by Papo.

You can pre-order your Spinosaurus at Urzeitshop.
Just click here:
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/papo/3303-spinosaurus-limited-edition-by-papo-3465000550776.html

Amazing! I remember someone stating that the new Spino is a marginal improvement over the old... ??? :D

Shonisaurus

For me it is the best spinosaurus made to date in the toy dinosaur market. It may be controversial opinion of mine but I would be dishonest with the members of DTF if I said otherwise. It is a masterpiece of paleoart.

Fenestra

I like it.
Eel tail or not.
With a proper stand, that will lift up the chest a couple of cm, it will actually look like this beast is pushing off the bottom of the river like a hippo.

Concavenator

avatar_tanystropheus @tanystropheus well, the difference with the old one is massive.Also, the fact that the old one was a JP version led to an inaccurate representation even at the time.The original Papo Spinosaurus was released in 2007, and the Carnegie version , in 2009.The difference in accuracy was huge between those two.

I think Papo's best models are those which aren't JP inspired such as their Dimetrodon, their Styracosaurus, or this Spinosaurus.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 25, 2019, 09:19:31 PM
avatar_Andreioli @Andreioli Is it true that Papo's spinosaurus is limited depending on the link that you have provided close to 1,000 euros? It is too high a price and not even many of the best resin figures are paid for this price. :o

I'm gonna call shenanigans on that pricing. Converting to Australian dollars (the currency I'd be paying in), that works out to over $1500, or just over $1100 in US dollars. There are many things I'd spend $1500 on and a limited edition Papo dinosaur is not one of them.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Reptilia

This figure is likely representing nothing like the real animal actually was, but still an incredible piece of art in its own right. It is the second popular dinosaur after Velociraptor that Papo updates from a pure JP replica to a more modern, albeit controversial, interpretation. Maybe the next will be a (partially) feathered Tyrannosaurus? I was never a big fan of tyrants, but I'd love to have a new, non-JP rex from the French. They could just keep the old and profitable sculpts in the range and release new versions as limited editions, like they're doing with Spinosaurus. A bit of elitism would be quite nice for such a quality brand.

On the price: don't worry people, that is just a stand-in, it won't cost any more than the usual Papo big figures. I'm thinking something like the Baryonyx or the Therizinosaurus. Or if they really want to screw buyers, as much as the Brachiosaurus. Nothing crazy anyway.

Also, mystery solved, catalogue number is 55077. That was the free slot we had left after the 2019 line-up reveal, back in december. Giganotosaurus will take 55080?

japfeif

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 25, 2019, 05:49:00 PM
Much better picture.   Yeah I can deal with osteoderms, but I have an Xacto that will fix that tail.. ;)

I actually had been thinking that ever since I first saw the promo pic of the Spino....I wonder if those who are really bothered by the tail fin (it actually DOES look a bit wonky!) could just carefully trim it off, at least near the tip and the underside...and then touch up with paint. I'd be afraid to try but some ambitious folks might!

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: Fenestra on February 25, 2019, 09:34:33 PM
With a proper stand, that will lift up the chest a couple of cm, it will actually look like this beast is pushing off the bottom of the river like a hippo.
Since seeing the first image I assumed this was how it should be displayed. Slightly lifted in the front end. Not so much as if it was swimming but more as if it was running.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

PhilSauria

If I manage to get hold of one of these I won't be touching one osteoderm on its scaley body, I may be in the minority here but I like this thing just the way it is. I will however be making some sort of base to raise it off the shelf and add to the effect of it being immersed in water, as suggested above.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: