News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Ceratosaurus on February 10, 2019, 01:48:05 AM
I've seen a lot of comments on here, Facebook, YouTube about how people are mad the Spinosaurus is going to be limited and they shouldn't reserve one because they won't be able to afford it anyways. I'm assuming a figure of that size would likely cost around $50. There's 5 months to save up for it. Am I missing something like because it's limited willthe cost be way higher or is $50 just that much more to some than others?

I would imagine that it would cost around $39 or the same price as the Baryonyx.

Reptilia

I didn't read Facebook comments, but judging from what I can see here seems that this Spinosaurus is causing a lot of concerns, probably way more than it should be. Regarding the limited availability, it's up to Papo to make it a standard release in the future, but what's the problem with the price? It'll be in the same range as other big Papo figures of the past years, no Papo prehistoric figure ever costed 50 bucks when released, not even the Brachiosaurus. I'm talking about online sellers such as Everything Dinosaur, two or three german shops, Dan's Dinosaurs, and a few more. Sure, if you look up for it on Ebay chances are that people will ask monster prices, so just be ready for the time that it'll be released and stick to those trusted sellers instead.

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on February 10, 2019, 02:23:32 AM
It'll be in the same range as other big Papo figures of the past years, no Papo prehistoric figure ever costed 50 bucks when released, not even the Brachiosaurus.
Sorry I should've said $50 Canadian lol. Still I don't see how it would be overly difficult to set aside enough by the time it's available.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Cretaceous Crab

Yeah I was expecting something like $49.99 USD, but ED said they thought it wouldn't be that much.

BRONSON

There is going to be some extra paper rounds being done over the following months.

Shonisaurus

It will always be the spinosaurus of Papo 2019 in ED cheaper than in Ebay stores whose prices will be wild.

terrorchicken

have any online shops in the US made it available for preorder yet?

dragon53

TERRORCHICKEN:

I emailed a US Papo dealer about the new Spinosaurus and got the following reply last week:

"I am sure we will once Papo gets back with us what will be released for import. We haven't been told as of yet by our supplier."

Atokensis

Man it's only February I can't wait for it to be June already (will be ordering the Spino the second it become available on ED - reserved already) and hope everyone interested can get one too. Also looking forward to the Pentaceratops.

terrorchicken

Quote from: dragon53 on February 11, 2019, 01:09:13 AM
TERRORCHICKEN:

I emailed a US Papo dealer about the new Spinosaurus and got the following reply last week:

"I am sure we will once Papo gets back with us what will be released for import. We haven't been told as of yet by our supplier."

oh good to know! Im still not sue if I'm preordering one but I want to know what options for the US are available in case I decide to do so. Please let us know if you can what their response is when they reply, Id appreciate it!

Silvanusaurus

I really really wanted to love the new Spinosaurus like everyone else seems to, like I've loved quite a few of their recent figures (even the Baryonyx), but sadly I am not feeling it at all, there's something about it that just doesn't make visual sense to me. I think it's mainly the forearms, I can't get past how awkwardly placed they are, there is a great sense of movement in the hind legs but then those arms are just kind of grafted on there from a different pose, and a different creature altogether... I can't explain it... I just cannot animate it in my head... The individual parts look great but it doesn't come together... either I'm missing something or I'm just taking too many crazy pills. I must be, because honestly I think i prefer the overall look of the Schleich. I'm so confused.

Atokensis

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 12, 2019, 11:46:33 PM
I really really wanted to love the new Spinosaurus like everyone else seems to, like I've loved quite a few of their recent figures (even the Baryonyx), but sadly I am not feeling it at all, there's something about it that just doesn't make visual sense to me. I think it's mainly the forearms, I can't get past how awkwardly placed they are, there is a great sense of movement in the hind legs but then those arms are just kind of grafted on there from a different pose, and a different creature altogether... I can't explain it... I just cannot animate it in my head... The individual parts look great but it doesn't come together... either I'm missing something or I'm just taking too many crazy pills. I must be, because honestly I think i prefer the overall look of the Schleich. I'm so confused.

There are all the images of the Spinosaurus so far (should also be added to main post), I think it looks really good. Maybe it's crawling in the water with its body half-submerged, head and spine above the water?

Jose S.M.

To me the position of the arms, specially the way the hands are placed, doesn't make sense with the rest of the body. To me the hands don't look like they are supporting any weight with only the claws touching the floor. Maybe it's walking on the bottom like hippos do, but the head tells me otherwise. It's a great sculpt anyways. Also the back of the Penta's frill looks great, that area is usually undetailed.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Jose S.M. on February 13, 2019, 02:00:38 AM
To me the position of the arms, specially the way the hands are placed, doesn't make sense with the rest of the body. To me the hands don't look like they are supporting any weight with only the claws touching the floor. Maybe it's walking on the bottom like hippos do, but the head tells me otherwise. It's a great sculpt anyways. Also the back of the Penta's frill looks great, that area is usually undetailed.

Yea that's the point, it's supposed to be swimming, I know papos inaccurate a-lot but there's no way they made this pose thinking in life that the spino could support itself on its claws. This is without a doubt a swimming pose.

oscars_dinos

Are the repaints already available?! I just went on amazon and if you look at the allosaurus stock picture it has the updated color scheme

tanystropheus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 12, 2019, 11:46:33 PM

That's because it is wading about. You can see it in picture #3 above. It's not really actively swimming but staying afloat and letting the water do most of the work.

Shonisaurus

I understand (from what scientists have said) that his life would be similar to the hippopotamus, it must be a semi-aquatic animal.

Of the things that I value most about Papo 2019 spinosaurus is that its teeth are differentiated, on the other hand this position of the hind legs in movement give it a feeling of realism and movement. It looks very detailed up to the millimeter. I understand that it is a figure that I will never regret having bought it. She is fabulous.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: imnewhere on February 13, 2019, 02:55:09 AM
Are the repaints already available?! I just went on amazon and if you look at the allosaurus stock picture it has the updated color scheme

I'd be careful, retailers will update the stock photos but they may still be selling old stock before the new arrives.

Andreioli

Bokisaurus

The more I look at this new Spino, the more I really like it. It has so many unique qualities to it which makes it exciting, accurate or not.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: