News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Hopes & Dreams

Started by ZoPteryx, August 18, 2012, 05:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: TheAllosaur on September 13, 2012, 01:51:52 PM
Oh, I want the CONCAVENATOR!!!
I was going to buy something, but when I saw this, I began to save for something else. :)
Does anyone know how much this will cost?

We only know a photo so far, so no, but probably similar to the other Carnegie theropods at around $20. And you'll have a while to save--most Carnegie figures are released in May.

TheAllosaur

yeah, i have most of them.(carnegie figures) i have more then twenty bucks, so i'm good.
Part-time genius!

Dan

SBell

Quote from: Dan on September 14, 2012, 05:00:35 PM

Pretty pretty pretty pretty!

Although I wish Bullyland would grow up and stop calling them 'tigers' and 'cats'.  The Smilodon isn't even close to a tiger (whole other subfamily) and the Eusmilus isn't even a cat! Not at all! But I'll still get them.

juju1305

Quote from: SBell on September 14, 2012, 05:13:47 PM

Although I wish Bullyland would grow up and stop calling them 'tigers' and 'cats'.  The Smilodon isn't even close to a tiger (whole other subfamily) and the Eusmilus isn't even a cat! Not at all! But I'll still get them.

Wow, these look really good !!! So much improvement over the previous version. It seems like Bullyland hired some new designers/sculptors. While still havin some kind of Bullyland feel, these figures don't exhibit the usual "cartoonish" Bullyland style. If their dinos are up to the same level, this might be a promising year for them :)

Takama

WTF    First they release the older ones again, and then the start makeing new sculpts?.   And just when i was about to start collecting those

Jetoar

Well, Well, Bullyland has returned to do Prehisctoric Mammals. I look forward that they will do a new Diatryma  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

juju1305

Quote from: Jetoar on September 14, 2012, 08:35:57 PM
Well, Well, Bullyland has returned to do Prehisctoric Mammals. I look forward that they will do a new Diatryma  ^-^.

Oh yeah, a new terror bird would be really cool :)

Roselaar

Interesting and pretty neat figures! I hope that won't be all from Bullyland for next year (2 new prehistoric figures a year seems their regular output lately), but seeing as what surprises they had in store for us for 2012, I think Bullyland might please us yet again.

Gwangi

Those are really cool looking and seeing as I still don't own any prehistoric cats (or Nimravids) I'll have to get these two.

SBell

Quote from: Takama on September 14, 2012, 08:30:39 PM
WTF    First they release the older ones again, and then the start makeing new sculpts?.   And just when i was about to start collecting those

To be fair, they never discontinued the first Eusmilus or Smilodon.

juju1305

Quote from: SBell on September 14, 2012, 10:16:46 PM
Quote from: Takama on September 14, 2012, 08:30:39 PM

To be fair, they never discontinued the first Eusmilus or Smilodon.

Correct, they are still part of their regular prehistoric line and were never discontinued indeed (unlike most of their other prehistoric mammal figures).  ^-^

Balaur

Those look okay, but seriously, SABRE TOOTH TIGER!!!! WHAAAAATTT!!! >:( anyways, I just hate it when people do that! Still, they do look buyable in my eye.

ZoPteryx

Very nice kitties! :))  Hopefully that's not all from Bullyland next year though; as others said, a new Gastornis/Diatryma would be awesome!

tanystropheus

Yeah, these figures are beautiful.

Just for clarification, I would imagine that the Bullyland 'tiger' is analogous to the Smilodon, and the Bullyland 'cat' is analogous to the Eusmilus? Is the Eusmilus a juvenile Smilodon or are they discrete species? (I'm not up to date with knowledge regarding prehistoric mammals, unfortunately)

I'm also quite puzzled why the team responsible for creating the gorgeous Papo lions were not assigned the task to recreate the Smilodon.

Gwangi

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 15, 2012, 12:20:44 AM
Just for clarification, I would imagine that the Bullyland 'tiger' is analogous to the Smilodon, and the Bullyland 'cat' is analogous to the Eusmilus? Is the Eusmilus a juvenile Smilodon or are they discrete species? (I'm not up to date with knowledge regarding prehistoric mammals, unfortunately)

I'm also quite puzzled why the team responsible for creating the gorgeous Papo lions were not assigned the task to recreate the Smilodon.

I'm actually reading "Big Cats and Their Fossil Relatives" by Alan Turner as it turns out so I actually feel semi-qualified to answer this one. My knowledge of prehistoric mammals is not very great either.
The "tiger" is indeed supposed to be Smilodon. The "cat" or Eusmilus is a member of the Nimravidae family that are very similar to cats but not actually members of the Felidae family. So yes, they are different species from entirely different families. Smilodon is more closely related to house cats than to Eusmilus but house cats are more closely related to tigers than tigers are to Smilodon. Smilodon is not a tiger and Eusmilus is not a even a cat.

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on September 15, 2012, 01:19:34 AM

I'm actually reading "Big Cats and Their Fossil Relatives" by Alan Turner as it turns out so I actually feel semi-qualified to answer this one. My knowledge of prehistoric mammals is not very great either.
The "tiger" is indeed supposed to be Smilodon. The "cat" or Eusmilus is a member of the Nimravidae family that are very similar to cats but not actually members of the Felidae family. So yes, they are different species from entirely different families. Smilodon is more closely related to house cats than to Eusmilus but house cats are more closely related to tigers than tigers are to Smilodon. Smilodon is not a tiger and Eusmilus is not a even a cat.

I already pointed that out.

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 15, 2012, 12:20:44 AM

These are Bullyland. What does Papo have to do with anything here? Or do you mean the Smilodon from 2011? Which seems like an odd thing to bring up in a 2012 thread.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on September 14, 2012, 09:34:24 PM

Those are really cool looking and seeing as I still don't own any prehistoric cats (or Nimravids) I'll have to get these two.
I have no interest in mammals, but the front leg on that sabre tooth tiger looks bent weirdly.

Balaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 15, 2012, 04:39:47 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on September 14, 2012, 09:34:24 PM

I have no interest in mammals, but the front leg on that sabre tooth tiger looks bent weirdly.

Hmmm... I just noticed that. It's really weird... Now it doesn't look buyable to me, lol!

Bokisaurus

VEry nice, not new species, but great update on the old ones ;D Finally, some mammals ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: