News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gothmog the Baryonyx Dinosaur & Prehistoric Collection

Started by Gothmog the Baryonyx, January 08, 2019, 01:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

need4swede

Congrats on your new Apato, avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx!
I've been wanting to get one, but having a hard time finding space for it at the moment. I envy your Sauropod collection :)
- Swede

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you for the Schleich apatosaurus and the PNSO torvosaurus, you can see the difference between both brands, the PNSO torvosaurus being a super detailed figure and with a sculpture and painting much more finished and elegant than this Schleich sauropod that despite all is the best sauropod made together with his brachiosaurus from the Humbold museum made by the brand Schleich. The PNSO torvosaurus is pure "black leg" in quality and sculpture and beauty.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thank you everyone, it always nice to appreciatipn somewhere. I love this impressive Apatosaurus actually.  I had considered it several times but given how much less this one costs I'm glad I had passed earlier. Can't belive my 3rd biggest figure in my collection cost a tenner, and for a retired toy too.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Grimbeard

I have a REALLY soft spot for that specific Apatosauris from Schleich. It might not be the most accurate Apatosaurus or Sauropod in the world, but its has such a nice aura of heft and weight to it, while also feeling strong and powerful. The head, while being pretty inaccurate, has a lot of charm and character in my oppinion.

For all the terrible duds Schleich is producing in their prehistoric lines (see: every single theropod they made), SOMETIMES they hit the nail and produce are really nice figure, such as the 2007 Parasaurolphus, the retired Shonisaurus and most of their recent Marginocephalia (except for "that" Pachycephalosaurus). Their upcoming new Parasaurolphus looks pretty good too.

It nice to see that plenty of people are getting the PNSO Torvosaurus. Such a underrated and underrepresented genius (as is the entire clade of Megalosauridae), and he painting, despite being considerably lighter then on the promo material, is gorgerous.

Great additions!

Crackington

I like the Dinogorgon too, though it's the only Schleich I currently own!

Nice Apato by the way, avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx  - agree it's an impressive figure. Sauropods were big!

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thank you everyone, it feels nice to have the Apatosaurus, it is one of the nicest Schleich's, such a shame they've gotten worse, but I will still pick up their Nothosaurus. And of course it is good to have a big, hefty sauropod. The Shantungosaurus feels less silly with an extra sauropod bigger than it too. And it looks nice next to the other Morrison animals, beside the Brachiosaurus.

More aquisitions here opened. The Olorotitan next to the Asian Late Cretaceous lot on my main board, the Spiclypeus takes centre stage on one of my 1:10 to 1:20 scale shelf. The Pliosaurus is dominating my Jurassic/Cretaceous marine box, and the Dunkleosteus has a shelf all to itself, bar some books and Harry Potter figurines.

I think it a bit on the nose calling the Russian dinosaur Ivan. Beautiful figure. The Dunleosteus is also gorgeous, and the stiff jaws don't bother me as I'll be keeping the mouth closed anyway. The Spiclypeus is a very nice Ceratopsid figure, the colours are an appropriate amount of flashiness I think.
I have been informed that the Pliosaurus has lampreys on it. On the photos on the website I initially assumed it to be scars. Pleasantly surprised. I love the depiction of this normal present day behaviour.
Mr Eustreptospondylus has gone in hiding in a box however.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Yes, the same for my Eustrepto too - the penultimate fate of most all of the Procon/ CollectA figures from their dark age.

Shonisaurus

Nice acquisitions, thanks for the photos, the Pliosaurus Collecta is a great figure and its lampreys attached to the body give it an image of realism, although as I mentioned, I like the kronosaurus of the same brand better even if it has a articulated jaw, the olorotitan. .. it tempts me, it tempts me a lot to buy it. It is a figure of an almost unpublished dinosaur in toy collecting, it is very beautiful and larger than I expected judging by the photos, the star figure is undoubtedly for me the dukleosteus is spectacular and super cool and large to the Same time.

Regarding the BoTM spiclypeus like all its figures, David Silva has done an excellent job and without a doubt one day I will have the "luxury" of buying everythingdinosaur's kosmoceratops counterpart if I still have time, and Collecta's eustreptospondylus has A great merit given that it is the initial time of the Collecta company and for me it is a very important figure since I do not have another counterpart of that extinct theropod. My congratulations.

Halichoeres

A very nice selection. The jaws on my Dunkleosteus are also a bit stiff.

On the pliosaur's lampreys: to be in scale they'd have to be larger than any known lamprey, extant or extinct, although I still think they're perfectly plausible since we know so little about fossil lampreys. We only have half a dozen taxa over 380 million years because they preserve so poorly!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

I think they´re great acquisitions, with the Eustreptospondylus being an exception. They really should update that one. I wouldn´t be surprised if it was one of the next creatures they will be updating, perhaps next year.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thank you everyone

Interesting to know about the lampreys avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I know little of them, but the ones I know are small. I wonder if it could be a case of a future discovery finding a giant lamprey.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator given Eustreptosondylus was found in Britain I do think it likely they will revisit it at some point. Who knows when though

Also put my 2 latest acquisitions in here the Geoworld Hipparion

Also bought Inpro Heterodontosaurus, still the only figure if this animal

Have a delivery from Everything Dinosaur coming on Monday with more PNSO's

SidB

Interesting acquisition with the Hipparion, avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx . there aren't many companies who've taken a chance with ancient proto-equines of any description, so kudos to Geoworld for taking a shot at this one, and you for grabbing this model, of course.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new acquisitions, especially the hipparion from Jurasic Hunters I guess it is the largest prehistoric horse figure in the toy world or at least one of the largest counting with the Mojo quagga. I would buy the Jurassic Hunters prehistoric animals whose figures there are a lot of them good and acceptable but I don't like the stiff plastic those figures are made of. I'm very glad you have it in your collection.

Halichoeres

I guess they're very different audiences, but striking how few prehistoric horse figures there are compared to the enormous variety of modern horse figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The Hipparion is around twice the size of the Mojo Quagga, it is okay I think.
Thank you everyone. And yes it is nice of Geowrold to make this. If I ever get a chance to get their Eousbasilius I think I'd get that too. And shame about the disparity of modern horses (most of which look the same to me) compared to extinct ones. Would be nice for a few more to get made.

The PNSO arrived a day earlier than expected. Apparently whilst DPDLocal don't do Saturdays in my area they do do Sundays.

A close up of the two young dinosaurs:

Aiden the Cretoxyrhina actually looks cute to me. But I do find most extant sharks cute anyway.

Logan fell in the sea, and Aiden decided to start eating him:

The oddly named Tucson the Himayasaurus:

She is a beauty. Requena is so majestic (I don't mind the seems on her or Tucson)

My Triassic shelf updated to include the new Himalayasaurus. Will be updated again for Schleich Nothosaurus and CollectA Smok next year. I do love the Triassic.

Requena swimming in the air, or sitting atop a couple of unsuspecting Proboscodeans:

The sub-adult Tyrannosaurus is here, the Ankylosaurus chick is too, though you can't see her in this photo

Since the Livyatan is using the Deinotherium and Gompotherium as stands, I gave Requena's stands to Haylee the Helicoprion, who now swims in the air above her Permian friends.

I have already rearranged these, but here is Aiden the Cretoxyrhina with the other Cretaceous and Jurassic marine animals.

And finally,
Logan hunts a Struthiomimus in the foreground, whilst in the background his father Wilson hunts a Triceratops.

SidB

I may have missed it, avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx , but what is the little ankylosaurid accompanying Logan, and who made it?

Shonisaurus

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx My congratulations, the cretoxyrhina seems to me a great figure like all the PNSO figures, it is not a prehistoric shark in any case exotic since it looks a lot like the current ones, however it is very well sculpted.

The PNSO himalayasaurus is beautiful but the seams are noticeable and the same can be said of the livyatan of the same brand but as they say they are majestic figures and they are huge judging by the photos, I see that it no longer fits on the shelf but even piled high it is preferable to have one in your collection. The juvenile PNSO nanotyrannus or tyranosaurus is a lovely piece.

By the way, I also have the shelves quite saturated with my collection figures, I see that I am not a unique case.

SidB

Halichoeres

Quite a little box of goodies. I've been admiring my own Cretoxyrhina for a few days now--I'm very pleased with it!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: