News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu Studio - New for 2020

Started by Loon, December 05, 2019, 05:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

I'm not sure that one can trademark the design of an animal. Nanmu isn't recasting the Sideshow piece, they are making a new sculpt, even if that sculpt is obviously intended to be the same design, just in a new pose. I just don't think it's possible for anyone to legally say "that's OUR apatasaurus", unless it can be proven that the piece is literally a recast copy of an existing product, and then if China is involved, forget it, they simply aren't beholden to Western I.P. laws.

SenSx

Just ordered the Rebor Stegosaurus.
I might have made a mistake since Nanmu's will probably be higher quality, but of course more expensive.
Thinking of returning it.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SenSx on April 30, 2020, 02:17:52 PM
I might have made a mistake since Nanmu's will probably be higher quality, but of course more expensive.

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. The Nanmu Stegosaurus is based on the JP films. I believe the REBOR depiction is not JP based. Admittedly, JP and non-JP Stegosaurus representations are fairly similar as far as I can tell.

SenSx

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 30, 2020, 03:11:04 PM

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. The Nanmu Stegosaurus is based on the JP films. I believe the REBOR depiction is not JP based. Admittedly, JP and non-JP Stegosaurus representations are fairly similar as far as I can tell.

I'm making JP collection, but the Rebor is still closed to it imo.
It was the best available at the time, even though I'm not the biggest fan of their skin texture, so yes I'm probably going to return it for the Nanmu.

Also do you think Nanmu or W-Dragon will release a JP Triceratops or closed to it (I know it's not scientifically accurate) ?
I ordrered the Papo, but yet again I'd prefer it from the two above.

Shonisaurus

The stegosaurus Rebor is scientific and very well made (I have all three paint versions). It is the best herbivorous dinosaur made to date by Rebor beating his cool ankylosaurus.

The stegosaurus from Nanmu Studio is based on the JP / JW movie, it is a figure as commented by non-scientific tanystropheus since all the JP / JW dinosaurs are genetically modified in laboratories so that they are "resurrected" today. It is beautiful but each stegosaurus follows a different dynamic.

Loon

avatar_SenSx @SenSx Where'd you buy the Rebor Stegosaurus from?

And I agree, I'd much rather get a JP Triceratops than a JW one. I'd hope the colors would actually match the concept art. Maybe the brown, dirty version could be the other color way.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SenSx on April 30, 2020, 03:37:30 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on April 30, 2020, 03:11:04 PM

I'm making JP collection, but the Rebor is still closed to it imo.
It was the best available at the time, even though I'm not the biggest fan of their skin texture, so yes I'm probably going to return it for the Nanmu.

Also do you think Nanmu or W-Dragon will release a JP Triceratops or closed to it (I know it's not scientifically accurate) ?
I ordrered the Papo, but yet again I'd prefer it from the two above.

Nanmu and W-Dragon are in direct competition with one another. Nanmu, however, is faster in bringing out their products to the market and building their portfolio. I'm pretty sure we will see a Nanmu JP Triceratops in the near future.

Loon

The first post was in desperate need of an update, and it now features pictures that won't disappear in a day!

Also, is Ian Malcolm confirmed to be coming with the Mosasaurus? Is there a picture of him?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on May 01, 2020, 03:35:41 AM
The first post was in desperate need of an update, and it now features pictures that won't disappear in a day!

Also, is Ian Malcolm confirmed to be coming with the Mosasaurus? Is there a picture of him?

Yeah, you can find a pic here on the ebay auction : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nanmu-1-35-Mosasaurus-Figure-Lord-of-Abyss-Dinosaur-Collector-Animal-Toys-Gift/254537482911?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Loon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 01, 2020, 03:39:53 AM
Quote from: Loon on May 01, 2020, 03:35:41 AM

Yeah, you can find a pic here on the ebay auction : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nanmu-1-35-Mosasaurus-Figure-Lord-of-Abyss-Dinosaur-Collector-Animal-Toys-Gift/254537482911?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks, I'll update the picture.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on April 30, 2020, 09:12:59 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on April 30, 2020, 09:06:29 AM
It's great to see Nanmu take some inspiration from Papo in their products (e.g. Apato, Allosaurus).

Pretty sure the Apatosaurus is more of a direct rip off of the Sideshow version

They used the JW Apato head/neck on the Sideshow body.

SenSx

Quote from: Loon on May 01, 2020, 01:52:12 AM
avatar_SenSx @SenSx Where'd you buy the Rebor Stegosaurus from?

And I agree, I'd much rather get a JP Triceratops than a JW one. I'd hope the colors would actually match the concept art. Maybe the brown, dirty version could be the other color way.

I bought it on Modellpferdeversand MPV in Germany, with the Papo Triceratops too, and other figures I will keep.
I think I rushed a bit this order, and it is alwready shipped.
I should have been more patient and wait for Nanmu / W-Dragon to release their JP Stegosaurus and Triceratops.
I'm sure MPV will allow me to return both, I will keep the rest of my order.

As I said the Rebort Stegosaurus is cool, but like many other rebor figures, the skin has all those garish points on the skin supposed to be scales, like unnecessary details not that usefull and beautiful, I'm not really found of (sorry I'm not sure if those are the propper words to use, English is not my primary language, but I'm sure you kknow what I mean).
And I'm not sure I need two Stegosaurus.

Nanmu and W-Dragon are definitly the best, I'll try to get most of my figure from them.
I have a preference for Nanmu, their paint jobs is fantastic, and most of their figures have the advantage to get articulated jaws which is a big plus for me.
I love to have the choice of opened of closed mouth.
But it really depends of the dinosaurs, as an exemple I prefer the W-Dragon Allosaurus over the Nanmu one that leaves me indiferent.
Those two brand are the best quality wise, more expensive, but worth the quality.
If you want a compromise between quality and affordable, Papo and Rebor are the best for that.

It's definitly a great time for dino figures collection, I'm new into it and Nanmu, W-Dragon and the likes just keep releasing figures over and over, and I'm here at the perfect moment to preorder them.
Just hope the incoming economic crisis won't end that trend, although there will be more important matters, that is for sure !
Well sorry for the disgression.

Loon

Quote from: SenSx on May 01, 2020, 04:52:26 AM
As I said the Rebort Stegosaurus is cool, but like many other rebor figures, the skin has all those garish points on the skin supposed to be scales, like unnecessary details not that usefull and beautiful, I'm not really found of (sorry I'm not sure if those are the propper words to use, English is not my primary language, but I'm sure you kknow what I mean).

I perfectly understood you. I think a dislike for Rebor's weird texture work transcends language boundaries.

SenSx

Quote from: Loon on May 01, 2020, 05:11:23 AM

I perfectly understood you. I think a dislike for Rebor's weird texture work transcends language boundaries.

Haha, yes that's it.
Although I would not say it makes their Stegosaurus awful, it was my favorite despite that issue until Nanmu announced theirs (but probably more expansive).
Rebor does have good ones, I ordered some of their Raptors, the skin issue does not seem to be as glaring on them.
While it really ruins others like their dilophosaurs...the skin on them...it's just too much...I picked the Papo one instead.

Loon

The Stegosaurus shouldn't be too much more expensive than the Rebor figure. I imagine it'll be similarly priced to the Sinoceratops, so it'd should be only $10 more shipped.

Takama

tanystropheus

Quote from: Loon on May 01, 2020, 05:11:23 AM

The Dilophosaurus pair hurts my eyes. They are way overtextured. Some of the other models aren't too noticeable from a distance.

Loon

Quote from: Takama on May 03, 2020, 07:00:32 AM
More views of the Ankylos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_tNmlulqcB/?igshid=18z1bo7gggj5u

Here are the pictures. The first post has been updated.

Can't say I'm too excited for these (they might the first I skip). But, I'll have to see in hand images first. Still, why two? Unless they make an Indominus that goes with it, the dying one is worthless.

tanystropheus

Although I don't understand their design rationale for making a v2 of Ankylo before other more popular dinosaur models (the raptor gang makes sense),  I appreciate the alternate pose as most Ankylo models appear to be too "stoic" and boring.

Shonisaurus

Honestly those Nanmu Studio ankylosaurus look great even if based on the JP / JW movie saga. I hope they will be available in the market soon. They are much more affordable figures than tyrannosaurus and apatosaurus of the same brand. In my case it is preferable to save money for what is coming and buy at most a single version of painting of each of the ankylosaurus (in my case preferably the limited edition.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: