You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Decided to do some dusting, because I really didn't like how nasty that Paleozoic pic turned out. I updated that post with a less dusty picture now.

First up, the Triassic! I enjoy this shelf quite a bit, maybe more than the Paleozoic shelf??? I can't say, but I have such an affection for this period and the fauna within.

Skipping ahead in time quite a bit, the extinct Cenozoic shelves are also now cleaned up.

The Paleogene shelf is my baby, honestly. Between the big Paraceratherium and the whales, it has a real impact; it always catches my eye.

The Neogene shelf could definitely use some filling, but there are so few decent models from this period. I'd get the CollectA Kelenken, but I don't want a terror bird bigger than a Deinotherium.

And finally, for now, the extinct Quaternary shelf (I always misspell it "Quarternary"). This shelf kind of makes me hate my chronologically based organization since the lovely custom Megaloceros has to hang out on the shelf that gets the most bird seeds.

Kapitaenosavrvs

QuoteI think, in all honesty, if it ever gets big enough to fill a room, I'd probably sell most of it. Just seems a bit unhealthy to me.

Hehe. I absolutely understand. But let me tell you, that your current Collection is already at a Size, that is quite... more than Average. And at the Moment, it really looks so well organized and presented. Basilosaurus fits perfectly in the Shelf. I wish i would be more interested in Megafauna or Mammals in general. As Figures, of course.

One think, because it is undone business in my Shelves: Will you hide the cables and LEDs in the Future? Especially the Topshelves. I am always "blinded" by the Lights i have and wanted to build some kind of small "shielding" or reflector to guide the Rays more. But it is fine as it is right now, just asking, because it looks similar in my place. Regarding the Lights. Not the Collection. :D

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I love your new(ish) displays. Honesythe Triassic is my favourite though, but your Cenozoic displays are beautiful too. The Paraceratherium and Basilosaurus in particular being impressive
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Loon

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on March 26, 2021, 11:32:28 PM
Hehe. I absolutely understand. But let me tell you, that your current Collection is already at a Size, that is quite... more than Average. And at the Moment, it really looks so well organized and presented. Basilosaurus fits perfectly in the Shelf. I wish i would be more interested in Megafauna or Mammals in general. As Figures, of course.

One think, because it is undone business in my Shelves: Will you hide the cables and LEDs in the Future? Especially the Topshelves. I am always "blinded" by the Lights i have and wanted to build some kind of small "shielding" or reflector to guide the Rays more. But it is fine as it is right now, just asking, because it looks similar in my place. Regarding the Lights. Not the Collection. :D

Yeah, it's big...with, some modern animals that came recently, it just hit 300... I can't imagine how people who have thousands of these things do it.

When it comes to the LEDs, I really can't think of a way to hide them; I'm sure there's a nicer solution, but I'm ok with it for now. The wires are something that I've been struggling with. Really, when I kinda just glance at the shelves, I don't really catch them, but, seeing these pictures has made me realize how much they stick out. I've thought of using wood tape, but I don't know, seems a bit tacky, honestly. I guess it would stick out less than exposed wiring, though.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 26, 2021, 11:34:32 PM
I love your new(ish) displays. Honesythe Triassic is my favourite though, but your Cenozoic displays are beautiful too. The Paraceratherium and Basilosaurus in particular being impressive

Thanks! The Triassic shelf is definitely one of the most diverse, or maybe just weirdest... Either way, I'm happy you like it.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Loon @Loon How clean and pretty you have the shelves of prehistoric non-dinosaur animals from the Palezoic and Mesozoic. Well ordered. Honestly, we are lucky lovers of prehistoric mammals and Palezoic animals, seeing these figures I think a good dream but it is not reality. I'm impressed, I would like to see China's dinosaur companies bring out more non-dinosaur prehistoric animals and especially prehistoric mammals like basilosaurus and paraceratherium. They make very pretty figures. Honestly, Itoy's paraceratherium and PNSO's basilosaurus are exactly the figures that I always liked that some dinosaur company would do one day. My congratulations for your order and cleanliness.

On the other hand, I also like other figures such as lisowicia and elasmotherium from Collecta, but no dinosaur company has been able to make those figures so far and the same is true of Doug's hyaenodon from Safari, the diprotodon from Soutlands Replicas of Australia and the megaloceros from Papo to put other examples

Libraraptor

Looks great!  Tidy shelves,  not too full and not too empty.

Faelrin

It is a shame how few Triassic period animals have figures. Lots of interesting things out there that could be done, even some dinosaurs like Herrerasaurus and Eoraptor. At least the ones that have been made have been excellent largely. Even more sad is how many of those have been retired and for how long now. Your collection does an excellent job showcasing those, and I still think you are lucky to have managed to track those down.

On the other hand I feel like we are spoiled as far as extinct Cenozoic models goes, and particularly for mammals (even if there's plenty more I want to see like a "Dire Wolf", Synthetoceras, etc). I doubt I would have the space in my arrangement for all the ones missing, but I can try. Also I'm sure I've seen this before, and possibly said this before but seeing that CollectA Elasmotherium next to the Carnegie Mammoth really drives home how large that is.

Also regarding terror birds it is sad that there's so few options (and most out there are based off Gastornis which was the staple terror bird for so long, despite not being one), out there with the only in production one the CollectA Kelenken. Something I also hope to see corrected in the future.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

The Triassic is definitely the most interesting period of the Mesozoic. So many bizarre creatures. So few available as figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ezikot

I really like your current display as I prefer - just personal tastes - not too overcrowded shelves.

Are there a Dinosaur Park formation shelf, an Hell Creek formation shelf and a Morrison formation shelf or my eyes are seeing what they would like to see?     

I've started collecting cenozoic figures just a few months ago and I can say they are addictive :D
(speaking of the devil, I thought that Daeodon and Moropus coexisted... am I wrong? In case I'm not, which Daedon - Collecta or Safari - scales better with Collecta's Moropus?)

Side note: I love your humour!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on March 26, 2021, 07:01:19 PM

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 26, 2021, 06:24:16 PM
Paleozoic shelf is the best shelf. Are you planning to get any of the Life game miniatures? It could augment this assortment in interesting ways.

Honestly, I wasn't quite familiar with them until a few minutes ago. I guess I sorta dismissed them as basic game pieces, but I understand there are painted versions too? I think I may grab some of the plants, but the animals are a bit too stylized for my shelves I think. Not that they aren't nice, I just don't really but that sort of figure. I may just get the game, since I've been looking for something decent to play.

Forgot to say, I actually think painted versions were only available with the highest pledge level on the Kickstarter. But the game does look like fun and is worth getting for its own sake.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Loon

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 27, 2021, 09:45:24 AM
avatar_Loon @Loon How clean and pretty you have the shelves of prehistoric non-dinosaur animals from the Palezoic and Mesozoic. Well ordered. Honestly, we are lucky lovers of prehistoric mammals and Palezoic animals, seeing these figures I think a good dream but it is not reality. I'm impressed, I would like to see China's dinosaur companies bring out more non-dinosaur prehistoric animals and especially prehistoric mammals like basilosaurus and paraceratherium. They make very pretty figures. Honestly, Itoy's paraceratherium and PNSO's basilosaurus are exactly the figures that I always liked that some dinosaur company would do one day. My congratulations for your order and cleanliness.

On the other hand, I also like other figures such as lisowicia and elasmotherium from Collecta, but no dinosaur company has been able to make those figures so far and the same is true of Doug's hyaenodon from Safari, the diprotodon from Soutlands Replicas of Australia and the megaloceros from Papo to put other examples

Thanks, Shonisaurus. I would love it if any company tackled some mammals, but I think the trend with the Chinese manufacturers seems to be to make mostly dinosaurs, arguably more so than some western companies. I imagine it's all to do with the market, I don't think the same demand exists for a $60 Megatherium as for another big theropod. Oh well. I guess it's pretty lucky that, even though there are far fewer mammals released, they tend to be of overall better quality.

Quote from: Faelrin on March 27, 2021, 12:38:29 PM
It is a shame how few Triassic period animals have figures. Lots of interesting things out there that could be done, even some dinosaurs like Herrerasaurus and Eoraptor. At least the ones that have been made have been excellent largely. Even more sad is how many of those have been retired and for how long now. Your collection does an excellent job showcasing those, and I still think you are lucky to have managed to track those down.

On the other hand I feel like we are spoiled as far as extinct Cenozoic models goes, and particularly for mammals (even if there's plenty more I want to see like a "Dire Wolf", Synthetoceras, etc). I doubt I would have the space in my arrangement for all the ones missing, but I can try. Also I'm sure I've seen this before, and possibly said this before but seeing that CollectA Elasmotherium next to the Carnegie Mammoth really drives home how large that is.

Also regarding terror birds it is sad that there's so few options (and most out there are based off Gastornis which was the staple terror bird for so long, despite not being one), out there with the only in production one the CollectA Kelenken. Something I also hope to see corrected in the future.

Thanks. Yeah, Triassic fauna is so weird and wonderful. I would absolutely kill for an updated Postosuchus or Plateosaurus. Or, heck, a non-cheaposaur Placerias. And of course, my dream drepanosaur TOOB. I guess, similar to the mammals, it is good that most of the Triassic figures released are pretty great.

Also, I think you may have seen the mammoth and Elasmotherium together before. They've been shelf-mates for some time now, and god knows I love to stroke my ego and share pics of my shelves.

As for terror birds, I would also love some. The only decent one made fairly recently was the kaiyodo one, and of course, it's super tiny. The Kelenken isn't the worst thing, but, it's definitely an older CollectA figure, I'll leave it at that.

Quote from: Ezikot on March 27, 2021, 04:10:04 PM
I really like your current display as I prefer - just personal tastes - not too overcrowded shelves.

Are there a Dinosaur Park formation shelf, an Hell Creek formation shelf and a Morrison formation shelf or my eyes are seeing what they would like to see?     

I've started collecting cenozoic figures just a few months ago and I can say they are addictive :D
(speaking of the devil, I thought that Daeodon and Moropus coexisted... am I wrong? In case I'm not, which Daedon - Collecta or Safari - scales better with Collecta's Moropus?)

Side note: I love your humour!

Thank you for the compliment! I don't think we've ever talked before, so I have to say I love your avatar! As a fan of prehistory and animation, Gertie is a big favorite of mine.

And no, you're not crazy. I do have shelves mostly based on those formations. I say "mostly" because there are some adjacent figures (same country/continent). I've also got a mini Yixian formation "shelf-within-a-shelf" going on, that I'll be sharing as soon as I get the Jurassic shelves done.

Also, I believe you're right about Moropus and Daedon being contemporaneous. I think the fact that Daeodon seems to have lived at the end of the Paleogene as well messed me up. But, oh well, the Neogene shelf has one more member. That's fine by me, it needed some filling.

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 27, 2021, 05:29:06 PM
Forgot to say, I actually think painted versions were only available with the highest pledge level on the Kickstarter. But the game does look like fun and is worth getting for its own sake.

Ah, oh well. I'll definitely be checking out the game, or at least some reviews after more people have it.

UPDATE: So, the last display post has been updated with new photos of the corrected Paleogene and Neogene shelves. I think they look a bit nicer now for sure. Like, seriously, what was I thinking? Lucy standing between European animals? Ridiculous!

Loon

Oops.

Mellow Stego

Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Loon

Quote from: Mellow Stego on March 27, 2021, 11:28:09 PM
I really love your setup!

Thank you! I love your displays as well. Very fancy, reminds of a proper museum.

Ezikot

Quote from: Loon on March 27, 2021, 10:02:13 PM
Thank you for the compliment! I don't think we've ever talked before, so I have to say I love your avatar! As a fan of prehistory and animation, Gertie is a big favorite of mine.

And no, you're not crazy. I do have shelves mostly based on those formations. I say "mostly" because there are some adjacent figures (same country/continent). I've also got a mini Yixian formation "shelf-within-a-shelf" going on, that I'll be sharing as soon as I get the Jurassic shelves done.
(...)

Oh, great! I try to do the same, but I often struggle in understanding what animals really shared the same stratigraphic level (Dinosaur Park formation looks really a mess in that regard) and in finding figures in a similar scale (e.g. for Hell Creek I have on a shelf PNSO Sede, Eofauna Triceratops, Collecta Pachy and Struthiomimus that could be all around 1:30-1:35)

Regarding Gertie, I'm a fan of animation too (obviously I'm a big fan of Miyazaki, having a real soft spot for Mononoke, Totoro and Spirited Away).

Again, really nice collection and really nice display!         

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ezikot on March 28, 2021, 10:40:03 AM
Quote from: Loon on March 27, 2021, 10:02:13 PM

(...)

Oh, great! I try to do the same, but I often struggle in understanding what animals really shared the same stratigraphic level (Dinosaur Park formation looks really a mess in that regard) and in finding figures in a similar scale (e.g. for Hell Creek I have on a shelf PNSO Sede, Eofauna Triceratops, Collecta Pachy and Struthiomimus that could be all around 1:30-1:35)

Regarding Gertie, I'm a fan of animation too (obviously I'm a big fan of Miyazaki, having a real soft spot for Mononoke, Totoro and Spirited Away).

Yeah, there are only four or five formations where you can get any reasonable representation of the fauna. I used to try to arrange mine by formation, but I got a bit frustrated that there were almost as many formations as figures, because most companies only make the 1 or 2 largest dinosaurs from each.

Loon

Quote from: Ezikot on March 28, 2021, 10:40:03 AM

Thanks, and yeah, as avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres said, it's a bit hard to find many figures from the same formation in the same scale. I'm not so fussed about it, honestly. But it is a little annoying that my dinosaur park display has several scales between 1:20 and 1:40. At times I've thought about switching to strictly 1:35/1:40. There's a weird effect when they're all on the shelf together where you can think that it's all to scale, I don't know why.

The only formation I have represented by more than one or two figures, all of which are mostly to scale is the Weald Clay.

Also, I feel like a "fake fan" here, I really haven't seen many Miyazaki films. Spirited Away is about it. Not even Totoro... But, I have to check out the rest sometime.

Leyster

Wow, great display there!

I still think the best shelf is the Cretaceous sea one, with the fake rocks
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Loon

Quote from: Leyster on March 29, 2021, 04:44:00 PM
Wow, great display there!

I still think the best shelf is the Cretaceous sea one, with the fake rocks

Thanks! I like that shelf quite a bit too, though, it's currently a bit messy, but I'll get around to sharing it again sometime.

Ugh, I couldn't just sit and wait until that Xiphactinus comes out. No, I had to go and place another Minizoo order, and, oh boy, this one's a big deal, it's the CollectA Mamenchisaurus.

This thing is so pretty and so gosh darn big. I'm not going to bore you with my grasping attempts at squeezing some form of enjoyment out of this hobby an overly long write-up, so here are some pictures:

This picture makes me think about the ending of Shin Godzilla.

Ah, but you want a size comparison. Well, here you go.

Spoiler
Kidding. Here it is with some fellow sauropods. If this is based on Mamenchisaurus jingyanensis, the scale is roughly 1:43 (give or take 5).
[close]

On a less exciting note, I decided to pick up Battat's Cryolophosaurus again.

I realized, that despite my misgivings about it in the past, it really is a nice model and one of the few decent representations of this species out there. Also, it was kind of neat to get a Battat figure individually in that green and brown cardboard box again, it's been so long since I've seen them like that.

More shelf pics tomorrow.

Kapitaenosavrvs

QuoteLucy standing between European animals? Ridiculous!

I screamed and cried in anger, full of hate and fear.

But. The Mamenchisaurus. I am in love with this, since i saw the first picture. And i guess most of the members here feel a bit the same. I am waiting and waiting for it to arrive in Europe... Maybe they have been on the Ever Given..

CollectA is still getting better every year. What a lovely Company.

EDIT: I love the Groupshot. I maybe saved it, to look at it and feel good about liking what i see. Maybe.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: