News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 03, 2021, 05:51:14 PM
My only complaint is the transitions on the hips and tail aren't smooth. The head, neck, and body transitions look great, but then the feathered section indents over the hips rather than flowing smoothly, and even worse the tail section dips down further before trailing off which looks very artificial.

David's response to the tail cut-off avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek

"Yes I will see if this can be improved, but for production it will have to be at least 1/16" thickness. I do think though that it will be much less noticeable once painted."

Responding to:
"Me and a few fellow collectors have noted the abrupt change from feathers to scaly skin on the Dryptosaurus. Would it be possible to make the transition between integuments a bit more smooth? I personally feel that the plastic feather pieces in highlighted regions is too thick, and leaves a noticeable gap between feather and skin. So I was wondering if making the feather piece(s) thinner at the edges would help conceal these gaps."

Flaffy

Man I'm really going to go broke from this series alone. These things are even more expensive than the notoriously pricy Bandai SH Monsterarts godzilla figures :o.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Flaffy on October 06, 2021, 10:47:28 PM
My only complaint is the transitions on the hips and tail aren't smooth. The head, neck, and body transitions look great, but then the feathered section indents over the hips rather than flowing smoothly, and even worse the tail section dips down further before trailing off which looks very artificial.

"Yes I will see if this can be improved, but for production it will have to be at least 1/16" thickness. I do think though that it will be much less noticeable once painted."

Responding to:
"Me and a few fellow collectors have noted the abrupt change from feathers to scaly skin on the Dryptosaurus. Would it be possible to make the transition between integuments a bit more smooth? I personally feel that the plastic feather pieces in highlighted regions is too thick, and leaves a noticeable gap between feather and skin. So I was wondering if making the feather piece(s) thinner at the edges would help conceal these gaps."
I guess I must have been unclear, as that isn't what I meant at all. I meant the gap between feather sections where there is a sharp vertical tick, like a chunk of feathers cut out that makes it look very strange and squared off.

Carnoking

Quote from: Flaffy on October 06, 2021, 10:43:40 PM
"We're only halfway into the campaign and doing exceptionally well, especially when compared to the previous two Beasts of the Mesozoic campaigns. I think these goals are all very attainable and who knows, I may even come up with a few more toward the end."

:o Oh... oh my. I wonder what other stretch goals David is thinking about doing.

This has me quite worried :o

I budgeted for my priority figures and made sure to add on cushion funds in case anything else caught my eye (i.e., the improved Teratophoneus model), and I'm already sorely tempted to add on the non-figure items like the postcards and calendar so I think I'm in trouble if he reveals new figures...

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thanks for the appreciation!

Well an accessory pack (such as nest, carcass, etc) has been discussed before in the kickstarter comments at least. Albino variants have also been discussed. But we got to tackle these remaining 8 first (or soon to be 7 I guess).

I'll do some digging in the comment thread after I get dinner and screen cap the relevant discussions here (edit: maybe the op as well so it doesn't get lost again).

Edit: Okay so here's some of the discussion regarding the accessory pack idea, and the albino variants, as well as the possibility of the return of the Fan's Choice variants.

Accessory pack:

Fan's choice:

Albino variants:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 06, 2021, 10:56:44 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on October 06, 2021, 10:47:28 PM

Responding to:
I guess I must have been unclear, as that isn't what I meant at all. I meant the gap between feather sections where there is a sharp vertical tick, like a chunk of feathers cut out that makes it look very strange and squared off.

Ah I see. I personally see that as a necessary compromise for articulation purposes, and the fact that the feathering in those regions are separate glued(?) on pieces rather than being embedded in the sculpt itself, as seen on the Yutyrannus.

JohannesB

I wish he would also make a few unarticulated figures. I would probably buy one of those (if it would have no feathers).

Psittacoraptor

Oh boy that delivery date on the Gorgosaurus is painful. Two years is too much to commit to a preorder for me. I'll be pledging for two wave 1 figures, then. At least that will help unlocking the Gorgo so I can get it later.

Faelrin

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor That's basically been me waiting for my ceratopsians (which I'm still a bit behind on, sadly), and um come to think about it that's been about the production wait for the raptors too. However that is a smart idea, as who knows what could happen in that long a time frame, especially with the mess the world is in currently. Honestly I'm torn if I want to try to pay for it when the backerkit survey gets sent out, or wait until it's close to shipping, assuming I can manage to afford it by the time the survey is out. Granted there's also the Yutyrannus I really want too, and I'll probably only be able to go with one by then anyways if possible.

Anyways... we are nearly $1,000 away from getting that wonderful little Suskityrannus funded!

Letting folks know, but the image for it on the campaign tab on the kickstarter page has been updated to show us the sculpt. I'm sure we'll see more of it in the incoming update after it gets funded. I like what I'm seeing though!

Can't wait to see more of this little one, and hopefully how it sizes up alongside the Zuniceratops from the previous campaign. I'm honestly relieved most of my wishlist is consisting of these cheaper little ones (this one, Guanlong, Proceratosaurus, give or take the juvenile Tyrannosaurus as well, though it is a bit more then these), with mainly the Yutyrannus, Gorgosaurus, and adult Tyrannosaurus being the exceptions. Of course I like more, but I think starting from a few/my favorites and going from there is probably the better way to handle it.

Edit: Proceratosaurus now too!

Carnoking

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

BlueKrono

When I try to back it it says Lythronax unavailable, but doesn't give the option to get the Suski. I'm confused.

::EDIT::
Oh, it looks like you back the shipping to start, then you can add on the dino of your choosing.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Faelrin

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Einherjar

I love this Kickstarter. So many great models. Kinda relieved in a sense that the big ass T-Rex is my least favorite design, so not getting that one.

Lynx

Quote from: suspsy on October 08, 2021, 02:35:14 AM
Suskityrannus unlocked!

Must... resist...

Sounds pretty sus not gonna lie...

Gosh, darn it.

Anyhow, looks pretty nice! I love the sculpt and price. Can't wait for the finished prototype!
As for the package art, somehow it's... funny? I don't exactly know why. I'll probably buy it as a postcard.
An oversized house cat.

Concavenator

All these tyrannosaurs are absolutely delightful, as amazing as the raptor and the ceratopsian lines were, this upcoming series is my favorite.  But it's going to be such a long wait for them... at the very least 1 year till the 1st wave releases, and this assuming there won't be any delays... I only plan on getting the Guanlong, and the wait is long enough for that one. I would be interested in certain ones, like Dryptosaurus, Suskityrannus, Proceratosaurus or Moros, but the wait is so long I don't think it's worth it. I will no longer be in the hobby by that time anyways, as my collection is close to what I would consider "complete". I'm not complaining, BTW. I fully understand that it must take a lot of time and effort to manufacture these amazing models, it's just that I'm personally not interested in waiting for anything that will be released beyond Wave 1.

Anyone remembers when was the wave 1 of the ceratopsian series initially supposed to be coming out? According to the BotM Fandom Wiki, the Wave 1 was officially released on November 23rd, 2020. So comparing the supposed release date to the actual release date might (or might not) be an indicative on when the first tyrannosaurs will come out. That same page also says the wave 3 ceratopsians were supposed to be released on September 2021. AFAIK they haven't been released yet.

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Delays in manufacturing can happen for any reason. Honestly it was quite impressive that most of the delays were either from paint apps needing more work, or other miscellaneous things, and not truly pandemic related, so that they were just a few short months behind the estimate. Although safe to say Wave 3 has been impacted by the global shipping crisis (aside from paint apps, etc needing more work), so Wave 3 is looking to ship in November now if things work out with that. Who's to know what things will be a year out from now, especially with that situation? At least David has some of the tooling for the adult T. rex figures started, so that will give some give some production on these a head start at least. I should also state that he has been fully transparent about the status of these as far back as 2016, when production for those was not as organized since the Ceratopsian series introduced doing things in waves.

Edit: Update 18 is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-tyrannosaur-series-action-figures/posts/3323459

Some pics:

Super tiny skull:

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Hmm, Suskityrannus doesn't look quite to scale with the Zuniceratops, but given the Zuniceratops is far too large for title given scale that's not surprising. Still gorgeous Tyrannosaur figure. I do hope he does a Falcarius to go with them.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: