News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I'm thinking about taking advantage of it, alongside the free shipping over $50. Just need to plan out what I want first. I just ordered the Einiosaurus and Nasutoceratops from Dejankins tonight (alongside the Southlands Replicas Diprotodon, and Thylacine). I guess I could get the rest of the available mammals from them I am missing (Megatherium, Uintatherium, and Macrauchenia), alongside the Baryonyx and whatever else I guess.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on March 19, 2021, 01:56:07 AM
I'm thinking about taking advantage of it, alongside the free shipping over $50. Just need to plan out what I want first. I just ordered the Einiosaurus and Nasutoceratops from Dejankins tonight (alongside the Southlands Replicas Diprotodon, and Thylacine). I guess I could get the rest of the available mammals from them I am missing (Megatherium, Uintatherium, and Macrauchenia), alongside the Baryonyx and whatever else I guess.

Having not bought any of the prehistoric mammals before I went ahead and bought them all. If the past is any indication they will likely start seeing retirement soon. I wasn't aware there so many though..

Thialfi

They're truly excellent, I love what both Safari and CollectA do with prehistoric mammals. I wish we would see more of them!

Halichoeres

Updated first post to reflect that Daspletosaurus is modeled after D. torosus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Thialfi on March 19, 2021, 11:09:10 AM
They're truly excellent, I love what both Safari and CollectA do with prehistoric mammals. I wish we would see more of them!

100% agreed. Still perplexed by the total lack of extinct giraffids on the market.
Check out my customs thread!

GojiraGuy1954

I wish for another year like 2017 in 2022
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I would really like at the very least a Sivatherium. It would male for a very striking figure.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

indohyus

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 20, 2021, 10:50:25 PM
I would really like at the very least a Sivatherium. It would male for a very striking figure.

I agree completely. Along with some Australian megafauna, would be fantastic.

Stegotyranno420

Just a reminder this is not the hopes and dreams thread
Anyways I too would love a Shiva. Also, anything from India is welcome.

ceratopsian

I've unpacked my Safari Baryonyx.  It's disappointing.  Despite the protective packing, its left foot is very badly warped, with only one toe in contact with the ground.  This is not a crush injury I think but a production line problem.  I can try hot water, but the issue is so great I don't think it will solve the problem (or not for very long).  I haven't had much luck with Safari bipeds in the standing department - the Tyrannosaurus rex, the Deinonychus, and one of the oviraptors.  The paint is also scuffed a bit on both thighs.

Gwangi

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 21, 2021, 05:32:22 PM
I've unpacked my Safari Baryonyx.  It's disappointing.  Despite the protective packing, its left foot is very badly warped, with only one toe in contact with the ground.  This is not a crush injury I think but a production line problem.  I can try hot water, but the issue is so great I don't think it will solve the problem (or not for very long).  I haven't had much luck with Safari bipeds in the standing department - the Tyrannosaurus rex, the Deinonychus, and one of the oviraptors.  The paint is also scuffed a bit on both thighs.

Mine also had stability issues, though perhaps not as severe as yours. I did the hot water treatment and it worked, I haven't had to do it since. Good luck!

ceratopsian

Thanks avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi.  Hot water application is tomorrow's project.  I'll see what I can achieve.  I sent photos to Safari, who said it wasn't a production issue but melting from heat and they can't guarantee their models once they leave the factory.  I'm not totally convinced though.

Gwangi

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 22, 2021, 06:20:59 PM
Thanks avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi.  Hot water application is tomorrow's project.  I'll see what I can achieve.  I sent photos to Safari, who said it wasn't a production issue but melting from heat and they can't guarantee their models once they leave the factory.  I'm not totally convinced though.

I ordered mine when it was first released in the dead of winter. "Melting from heat" sounds like a poorly thought up excuse to me.

ceratopsian

I rather think the same.  But we have no proof on the temperatures inside the container on the ship in which it came over from China etc.

Quote from: Gwangi on March 22, 2021, 07:01:19 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on March 22, 2021, 06:20:59 PM

I ordered mine when it was first released in the dead of winter. "Melting from heat" sounds like a poorly thought up excuse to me.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Hot water did wonders on my Eofauna Atlasaurus, I'm sure it will do the gorgeous Safari Baryonyx as well
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Stegotyranno420

Kind off and on topic but I tried hot water on my mojo stuff(especially Spinosaurus) and it just warped back

ceratopsian

Yes, avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420, that has happened to me as well with some models.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 22, 2021, 11:58:19 PM
Kind off and on topic but I tried hot water on my mojo stuff(especially Spinosaurus) and it just warped back

Shonisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Sincerely, your comments are making me rethink about not buying the Safari 2021 figures and preferring the two Eofauna triceratops gives me the impression that the material as you mention is not as good as that of other years, and with age I have become practical and I like above all dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in more resistant PVC.

I see that some members of DTF are very disappointed when it comes to the material of these figures.

I'm so sorry that your baryonyx is so bad, I suppose they have saved material as a result of the pandemic crisis. In my case, I will buy other figures this year. I see there are complaints regarding the 2021 Safari figures. I am a supporter of dinosaur figures with strong and non-deformable PVC and I see that the well modeled Safari dinosaur figures have dropped in material quality and I say that with all my Ignorance and ignorance of reality, since I still do not have any figure and with all the respect in the world to Safari, which for me is one of my favorite companies and whose main sculptor Doug is for me the favorite and a total eminence in creativity and beauty of figures.

Concavenator

-deleted-

japfeif

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 22, 2021, 11:58:19 PM

I've had a few bipedal dinos from Safari (and other companies, to be honest)  with standing issues due to warped feet, etc. I've only done the hot water thing once, a small figure (a CollectA Irritator I believe) and as it was so small, I couldn't get just the bad leg into the hot water, and it ended up making the figure worse off, as both feet ended up softening & going all wonky, as did the tail!

I've actually had better luck using a hair drier....I use one of those directional attachments to the blowing end that really directs the hot air and I focus the hot air (on the hottest setting) onto the offending body part....it generally will soften in just a few minutes, without the mess of using hot water. I then position the foot/leg/whatever into it's proper position and the spray with cold water from an ordinary spray bottle (or put under the sink & let cold water run over it) to harden it.

Has worked for me many times and seems, at least for me, to be more precise and less messy that using hot water...and without the risk of scalding yourself!

Has anyone else ever used a hair drier to reshape warped body parts on their dino figures?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: