News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

EoFauna - New for 2021

Started by GojiraGuy1954, October 27, 2020, 02:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoxels

Quote from: Eofauna on June 03, 2021, 08:30:23 AM
Concerning the neck posture, while it is true that during the walking phase Diplodocus may have carried the neck high, this is actually irrelevant with our current pose that is showing the animal looking down, and of course anatomically correct since the vertebrae are perfectly articulated each other. We also decided to create this posture in order to show the neck below the hips height so that the figure would be safer during transportation.
I see people saying it needs a more "accurate" neck posture raised, but I want people just jumping in here that the neck posture it's in is also plausible. The neck is accurate it's just looking down. Eofauna already explained this.
Again, this figure is based off a peer reviewed scientific paper.
Even if some of you have this in your head it's important to remember it. A neck that high up won't ship well without breaking.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoxels on July 26, 2021, 10:44:02 PM
Concerning the neck posture, while it is true that during the walking phase Diplodocus may have carried the neck high, this is actually irrelevant with our current pose that is showing the animal looking down, and of course anatomically correct since the vertebrae are perfectly articulated each other. We also decided to create this posture in order to show the neck below the hips height so that the figure would be safer during transportation.
I see people saying it needs a more "accurate" neck posture. The neck is accurate it's just looking down. Eofauna already explained this. Please guys, make sure if you are critiquing this figure make show you know the creator's reasoning.
Even if some of you have this in your head it's important to remember it. A neck that high up won't ship well without breaking.

Even if the neck didn't break, it would definitely need a bigger box, which in turn would mean pricier shipping.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dinoxels

Quote from: suspsy on July 27, 2021, 12:07:29 AM
I see people saying it needs a more "accurate" neck posture. The neck is accurate it's just looking down. Eofauna already explained this. Please guys, make sure if you are critiquing this figure make show you know the creator's reasoning.

Even if the neck didn't break, it would definitely need a bigger box, which in turn would mean pricier shipping.
Exactly. Overall it's the better choice for the overall masses, regardless of what some people think.

Flaffy

Guess you completely missed the part that people recognise this (horizontal neck posture) intentional design choice and is entirely plausible, but would still prefer a more neutral posture for the animal as it would lend to a much more unique figure.

Also, I don't know why you treat a paper being "peer reviewed" is the end all be all to any further discussion or criticism. IIRC there have been papers that display very significant errors, yet are somehow peer reviewed. I'm sure everyone remembers Henderson's paper on spinosaurus bouyancy, where the CG model they used to calculate buoyancy did not reflect the morphological features of spinosaurus, despite it being well known knowledge (i.e. barrel-like chest / torso).

The Atlasaurus figure would like to have a word.
*edit: on second thought the Atlasaurus has a much shorter neck than Diplodocus, so the concern about shipping is valid. I wonder however, wouldn't it be feasible if Eofauna make protective boxes for their figures to prevent breakage? Similar to how PNSO handles both their PVC and giant vinyl lines.

stargatedalek

Please read what people are saying before trying to shut them down on the principle that they're saying it.

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 26, 2021, 07:11:34 PM
I'm just disappointed they posed the neck like this.

EoFauna themselves acknowledged this wasn't the animals natural posture, and that this is meant to be an unusual pose where the animal is lowering its neck to look at something below it. While unusual novel poses can be great, this is a case where I disagree, as the unusual pose matches the pose mistakenly often promoted as the animals usual posture, and so while not inaccurate, is both further promoting an inaccuracy, and makes the figure seem a lot less unique and more like every other Diplodocus figure.

Could easily just ship with the neck (and/or tail) disconnected if box size is a concern. It's not like their figures have perfectly hidden seams in some special way that assembling it ourselves would mess up.

Dinoxels

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 27, 2021, 06:50:03 AM
Please read what people are saying before trying to shut them down on the principle that they're saying it.
I did, I'm more worried that people will half-read what you say and what Eofauna said and start getting riled up. Don't worry I understand what you mean now.
If I misunderstood what anyone said I apologize. And yeah I do get why you guys want the neck up because it's doing something traditional in a new way (i.e., Yoshi Trike), again I'm just worried someone is going to look at Witton's art on Flaffy's post and start saying the Diplo is highly inaccurate etc. I'll edit my post to not cause more confusion.

Fembrogon

I would also prefer a different neck pose, if possible; as already mentioned, it would make the figure more unique, as well as potentially reinforce a more accurate image with buyers. As it looks now, the neck is neutral enough that it might not be apparent that the animal is meant to be specifically looking down. Perhaps a more pronounced downward angle would at least be better?

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

A stunningly accurate Barosaurus or Brachiosaurus altithorax figure is indispensable from Eofauna. In case we need a Brachiosaurus not Giraffatitan. As per as I know there is no Barosaurus figure in market. Finally I can conclude in saying we need more Morrison Formation Sauruopods.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on August 08, 2021, 08:06:40 AM
A stunningly accurate Barosaurus or Brachiosaurus altithorax figure is indispensable from Eofauna. In case we need a Brachiosaurus not Giraffatitan. As per as I know there is no Barosaurus figure in market. Finally I can conclude in saying we need more Morrison Formation Sauruopods.
Brachi is too fragmentary to make an EoFauna model from
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

SidB

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 08, 2021, 02:38:05 PM
Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on August 08, 2021, 08:06:40 AM
Brachi is too fragmentary to make an EoFauna model from
Yes, these sorts are not their 'cup of tea'. Which is a good thing.

Dinoguy2

I like what I'm seeing of the Diplodocus do far and I'll probably buy it. My problem with it is that it's just a little boring. There's nothing here pushing the envelope of science based interpretation like PNSOs recent figures or even Eofauna's past figures. I worry that, because it's designed to coincide with a figure in a paper, it's overly conservative in terms of pose and soft tissue. This feels like those generic looking pieces of paleoart that are clearly just traced over a Scott Hartman skeletal. Even when Hartman himself makes them they feel very aesthetically schematic to me.

Hopefully the final sculpt/skin texture and color will make up for it.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Flaffy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 08, 2021, 11:55:24 PM
I like what I'm seeing of the Diplodocus do far and I'll probably buy it. My problem with it is that it's just a little boring. There's nothing here pushing the envelope of science based interpretation like PNSOs recent figures or even Eofauna's past figures. I worry that, because it's designed to coincide with a figure in a paper, it's overly conservative in terms of pose and soft tissue. This feels like those generic looking pieces of paleoart that are clearly just traced over a Scott Hartman skeletal. Even when Hartman himself makes them they feel very aesthetically schematic to me.

Hopefully the final sculpt/skin texture and color will make up for it.

Precisely why I hoped that the Eofauna Diplodocus would've spiced things up with a more neutral neck posture, as the current horizontal one has been done to death by countless companies already.

JohannesB

Just a tangent here, about sauropod neck posture. I remember Robert Bakker, in some television series, commenting on how sauropod toy models have their necks often wrong (as in too curvy, and up). He took as example the Invicta Apatosaurus, and cut off it's neck. Ironic how such an old, out of date, incorrect model got it (kind of) right in that regard. If only it was not a tail dragger, that model...

But to come back to Eofauna, I would be more enthusiastic about their model if they took a more interesting, lively pose (and a bit more flesh on its (leg) bones?). But I don't really care if it has its neck more upwards or more horizontal, as is the general trend in palaeoart and toy models.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Archosaur on August 09, 2021, 03:36:07 PM
He took as example the Invicta Apatosaurus, and cut off it's neck.
kill

Halichoeres

Do we actually know what the pose of the figure will be? The CG model we've seen might have just been for the paper.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 27, 2021, 09:04:30 PM
Do we actually know what the pose of the figure will be? The CG model we've seen might have just been for the paper.
https://youtu.be/895RhHDfiAY
"The first figure ever created from the 3D musculoskeletal reconstruction published in a scientific study*

*Larramendi A, Paul GS, Hsu S. A review and reappraisal of the specific gravities of present and past multicellular organisms, with an emphasis on tetrapods. Anat Rec. 2021;1–56. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.24574"

suspsy

If that's really the Diplodocus' pose, and if it's in scale with the other EoFauna toys, then it'll probably rival the Carnegie version in size.

And it will cost a bundle to ship, sadly.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on August 27, 2021, 10:08:49 PM
If that's really the Diplodocus' pose, and if it's in scale with the other EoFauna toys, then it'll probably rival the Carnegie version in size.

And it will cost a bundle to ship, sadly.
That's the other big issue I have with the pose. They said the reason was to make shipping easier, but in what universe is a giant narrow box easier to ship?

suspsy

Diplodocus revealed!

https://www.facebook.com/482134425160798/posts/7016372555070253/?d=n

Damn, that's a beauty. Big sucker too. Keen to see how it stacks up against the Carnegie version.

Duck

Quote from: suspsy on October 13, 2021, 12:00:25 PM
Diplodocus revealed!

https://www.facebook.com/482134425160798/posts/7016372555070253/?d=n

Damn, that's a beauty. Big sucker too. Keen to see how it stacks up against the Carnegie version.
Wow! Just wow!
He who dwells in pond

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: