News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: Archosaur on May 23, 2021, 08:08:38 PM
That hinge on the Carcharodontosaurus jaw is quite visible. It is a different technique than the one used on the Tyrannosaurus, for example, and I think it looks a bit off-putting. Why would they do this?

The hinge on the Tyrannosaurus jaw is indeed different from most of PNSO's other theropods. The Carcharodontosaurus jaw has the same technique as the one on the Allosaurus. Articulated jaws do make dinosaur models more expensive, so maybe they use a different technique on the museum line models compared to the prehistoric animals line?
But today, I'm just being father

Shonisaurus

The figure of the carcharodontosaurus is highly finished and well painted, although I see in one of the photographs that the upper part of the head has the paint a little neglected. Are they my figurations? He is a figure that rivals his counterpart at GR Toys in genius and far surpasses that of Collecta.

Superb hyper-realistic and well finished figure of carcharodontosaurus, although the seams are visible especially on the head with the articulated jaw, otherwise it looks great.

TaranUlas

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin  Thank you! From checking the scale with the measurement and well... I am going to go with a hunch that ROM 768 isn't really supposed to be only 4.3 feet tall (ROM 768's skull comes out to 745 mm or 2.44423 ft. Wyatt's skull comes out to 2 5/16 inches. The scale there is roughly 1:12 with the Wyatt figure standing 4.3 inches tall.) So like with previous Hadrosaurs from PNSO, I would lean towards the body and head having very different scales.

I'm going to hold on getting Gamba until Yinqi is out so I can get them both at once.

EDIT: ignore the calculations section. I got some bad intel on ROM 768's skull length. The actual scale comes out closer to 1:25, which results in much more reasonable lengths and everything.

SRF

Quote from: TaranUlas on May 24, 2021, 10:43:10 AM
avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin  Thank you! From checking the scale with the measurement and well... I am going to go with a hunch that ROM 768 isn't really supposed to be only 4.3 feet tall (ROM 768's skull comes out to 745 mm or 2.44423 ft. Wyatt's skull comes out to 2 5/16 inches. The scale there is roughly 1:12 with the Wyatt figure standing 4.3 inches tall.) So like with previous Hadrosaurs from PNSO, I would lean towards the body and head having very different scales.

I'm going to hold on getting Gamba until Yinqi is out so I can get them both at once.

Others have measured Wyatt as well. Based on the skull it's around 1:26 scale. Including the crest, the skull is about 1,6 meters long. Based on the total length of the figure, its around 1:30, based on Parasaurolophus being around 9 to 9.5 meters long. But that total length could also be exaggerated.

TaranUlas

I suspect I found some inaccurate sources for the length of ROM 768's skull. From doing some more digging, the amount leans more towards a 1:25/1:26 scale. That definitely feels more accurate. I'll edit my comment accordingly to make it clear that it was some bad intel.

Thanks avatar_SRF @SRF

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 24, 2021, 05:36:05 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on May 24, 2021, 03:31:10 AM
Hey guys it says Gamba the Carcha is in stock at Amazon. I am a bit sad now because I ordered mine through Lana.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095MT89HN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_1FAEDH42RH6T7FJWTECH?psc=1

your better off with Lana.
If its prime and free shipping, I gotta go with amazon

Dusty Wren

PNSOs usually take a couple months to become available on Prime. I had to wait until May for Wyatt to pop up on Prime, and that figure was released early in March.
Check out my customs thread!

Pachyventer

Now, here we have the Carcharodontosaurus compared to the Allosaurus and Qianzhousaurus by PNSO. Is it just me, or Gamba is not that large? Besides, is it normal that premaxilla stands over the dentary THAT much (see the second photo)?

http://tiebapic.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/a546853fb13533fa0609869cbfd3fd1f40345b60.jpg
http://tiebapic.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/69a78f013af33a87dbd315a8d15c10385243b561.jpg

SRF

Quote from: Pachyventer on May 24, 2021, 05:13:15 PM
Now, here we have the Carcharodontosaurus compared to the Allosaurus and Qianzhousaurus by PNSO. Is it just me, or Gamba is not that large? Besides, is it normal that premaxilla stands over the dentary THAT much (see the second photo)?

http://tiebapic.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/a546853fb13533fa0609869cbfd3fd1f40345b60.jpg
http://tiebapic.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/69a78f013af33a87dbd315a8d15c10385243b561.jpg

The poster that is included says it's an ~11 meter long animal, while the poster included with the Allosaurus states that Paul is a 9 meter animal. So Gamba isn't meant to be a record breaking T. Rex-dethroning huge theropod, but is based on more conservative measurements for Carcharodontosaurus.

Some more comparison pics:

Pachyventer

Thanks for the information.  My estimates were 10-11 meters as well, according to 9-9,5 meters in the Allosaurus.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That makes the PNSO the more tempting than the GR Toys then, also makes the PNSO Allosaurus less tempting, though if I were to get it it wouldn't go anywhere near Gamba anyway because its too big for main display. I think it just depends ds what else PNSO release
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Stegotyranno420

Honestly in the beggining this was a amazing figure for me, but now just realizing all the "behind the scenes" stuff, not only I lost interest in the figure, I am losing(but not completely) interest with Carcharodontosaurus genus itself.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: SRF on May 24, 2021, 05:48:35 PM

Thanks for the Pictures. Wow, what a BEAUTIFUL Figure it is. I like the Paintjob even more than in the Promopictures. The GR Toys is a beautiful model aswell, but even without Lips on the PNSO, it is the visually more pleasing Model for me.

EDIT: In this Picture, it looks beautiful to see these Theropods next to each other. To see the smaller head and the lager Arms on the Allosaurus next to the more modern, bigger Head of an Carcharodontosaurus and it's smaller Arms. Just a nice picture, and the comparison was meant more generally on Theropods.

ITdactyl

Have to agree with the comment above. Even though I love the skin work on the GR Toys model, I prefer the over all presentation of Gamba.

SidB

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 24, 2021, 07:23:38 PM
Honestly in the beggining this was a amazing figure for me, but now just realizing all the "behind the scenes" stuff, not only I lost interest in the figure, I am losing(but not completely) interest with Carcharodontosaurus genus itself.
Since nobody's responded to this comment, allow me to. I believe that many get a bit 'turned off" by what seems at times an endless critique of these figures, or at least an ongoing process of generally constructive criticism. But this is a healthy flow of ideas and suggestions that leads to a constant improvement in the quality of the figures that are available to us as collectors. Sure, at times it can get a bit discouraging when just when I think that the "ultimate" interpretation has hit the shelves, it is soon subjected to analysis, some of which is critical of some aspects of the figure. Look at the latest release of PNSO's "Wilson", for example. But this is roughly analogous to the evolutionary process itself, and at the end of the day , we're better off for it, because we gain a more profound understanding of our hobby, of paleontology and of course, better and better models. Also, I keep some older and now superceded (in some or many aspects) pieces simply for their historical value . Look at the interest in the old Marx figures, for instance. So DO continue to enjoy the stream of products that come your way - it's all part of the delight and at times frustrations of collecting.

Pachyventer

One steaming Helicoprion review, coming right up! :) And, yeah, the figure was made in 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i027hkFwpY

SRF

The Carcharodontosaurus isn't available yet on AliExpress. I wonder if it's sold exclusively at PNSO's own store on Amazon for the first week or so and available later in other online stores, making it indeed more widely available in June...

Pachyventer

Quote from: SRF on May 25, 2021, 04:35:25 PM
The Carcharodontosaurus isn't available yet on AliExpress. I wonder if it's sold exclusively at PNSO's own store on Amazon for the first week or so and available later in other online stores, making it indeed more widely available in June...

I guess you're right. The Model Toy Center owner says PNSO will officially sell their Carcharodontosaurus figure on Amazon for a few days. He expects this figure for his store this Friday or even next Monday. Haven't received responses from other stores though, but I guess, the result will be the same: later this week or early next week.

Concavenator

BTW, I asked PNSO that, since the Carcharodontosaurus has been released sooner than expected, if the Yutyrannus was also going to be released now, and they told me they're not sure about that. Hopefully it's not too long since it's finally out.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: