News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

I've always imagined Tarbosaurus being like a "light" T.rex, so seeing this chonker feels...odd.

John

Quote from: SRF on June 11, 2021, 05:11:21 PM
If this Tarbosaurus is, just like the Yutyrannus, only available on Amazon for the first two months, I'm actually inclined to purchase it right away from Amazon in stead of waiting for it to appear on AliExpress. I'll have to pay some extra money (for shipping or extra taxes) one way or the other anyway.

I haven't this been hyped for a figure since the release of Wilson I think. I'll even think this one is probably better. I love the colors on this Tarbosaurus.
I don't think one is better than the other,each is the best of it's respective species ever made. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

SRF

Quote from: John on June 11, 2021, 05:27:39 PM
If this Tarbosaurus is, just like the Yutyrannus, only available on Amazon for the first two months, I'm actually inclined to purchase it right away from Amazon in stead of waiting for it to appear on AliExpress. I'll have to pay some extra money (for shipping or extra taxes) one way or the other anyway.

I haven't this been hyped for a figure since the release of Wilson I think. I'll even think this one is probably better. I love the colors on this Tarbosaurus.
I don't think one is better than the other,each is a great representative it's respective species.I have the newest Tyrannosaurus and can tell you it is NOT the "bad" model that this forum likes to pretend it is. :)

I know it is, since I have Wilson myself. ;) Wilson is currently still my favorite theropod from PNSO, and I own every one they've released since last December (except the Yutyrannus, obviously). But I'm also very impressed with the more subtle detailing on the Carcharodontosaurus for instance.

This figure of Tarbosaurus brings the best aspects of Wilson and Gamba into one I feel. That's why I'm so excited for this one.  :)
But today, I'm just being father

John

Quote from: SRF on June 11, 2021, 05:38:44 PM

I don't think one is better than the other,each is a great representative it's respective species.I have the newest Tyrannosaurus and can tell you it is NOT the "bad" model that this forum likes to pretend it is. :)

I know it is, since I own Wilson myself. ;) Wilson is currently still my favorite theropod from PNSO, and I own every one they've released since last December (except the Yutyrannus, obviously). But I'm also very impressed with the more subtle detailing on the Carcharodontosaurus for instance.

This figure of Tarbosaurus brings the best aspects of Wilson and Gamba into one I feel. That's why I'm so excited for this one.  :)
As a collector,another thing I like is that PNSO chose to release both Tyrannosaurus rex and it's close relative Tarbosaurus bataar instead of just one or the other. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Flaffy

I know it is, since I own Wilson myself. ;) Wilson is currently still my favorite theropod from PNSO, and I own every one they've released since last December (except the Yutyrannus, obviously). But I'm also very impressed with the more subtle detailing on the Carcharodontosaurus for instance.

I own "Winter Wilson" too (along with the Qianzhousaurus), and I have to say, the inaccurate integument really detracts from what would otherwise be a near-perfect figure. It really felt like PNSO at that time was stuck in the mindset that "more scales = better figure", as evident by their initial trio of corn-cob textured theropods.

I'm really glad that they improved upon this on their Allosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus and Tarbosaurus.

SenSx

Quote from: suspsy on June 11, 2021, 04:45:40 PM
I also would have preferred Zhuchengtyrannus over Tarbosaurus. I love the name, plus it would have gone perfectly with the Sinoceratops. And yeah, Chuanzi is significantly bulkier than most restorations, but I'm hesitant to label that inaccurate.

Maybe they'll give us Zhuchengtyrannus in 2022. Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus would also be most welcome!

I'm more waiting for finally a decent Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus indeed.

Concavenator

Whoah, I was expecting the next figure for this line would be a Torvosaurus, not a Tarbosaurus.

Still, that's great news. I'll admit I wanted to see a PNSO Tarbosaurus, and if we're to choose, I certainly prefer a Tarbosaurus over a Zhuchengtyrannus, even if the former has gotten more attention than the latter. They sure are creating an amazing lineup of tyrannosaurs, they're masters at them already! If they have plans for another one, I'm hoping it will be a Sinotyrannus.

I see a lot of people saying it's too bulky... I don't think that's wrong. According to Brusatte's and Carr's paper  "The phylogeny and evolutionary history of tyrannosauroid dinosaurs" (2016), Tarbosaurus is Tyrannosaurus' sister taxon. So I don't think the fact of it being smaller (and it's not like Tyrannosaurus easily outsized Tarbosaurus either) is any excuse for being necessarily lighter. It could have been smaller and similarly bulky. In fact, Daspletosaurus, which is also smaller than Tyrannosaurus (and Tarbosaurus) is considered to be more heavily built than T.rex.

I clearly prefer the subtle scale detail in comparison to their newer Wilson, but it's ridiculous that most of the criticism that figure gets is due to that detail. Sure, technically it's less accurate, but from my perspective at least it's a very minor fault, and by any means it's a deal breaker. We have been getting scaly dinosaur figures with relatively too big scales practically since forever (and also, some figures that are very popular within the community suffer from this, for example, the AAOD Australovenator, the Safari Sauropelta, and the CollectA Mamenchisaurus, just to name a few) and it's only very recently that some of the companies that pay attention to scientific accuracy have started to implement this (including Safari themselves). To each their own, but if we're finding complaints I find the scaly face on the upcoming BotM Dilong much worse than this "scales too big" issue.

And to me, and contrary to what it's often said in this forum, I don't think PNSO's ornithischians are any better than their theropods. I'd say they're both equal to each other. People complaint on the "scales too big issue" on their theropods, but curiously I have never seen anyone complaint about that on their Tuojiangosaurus and Miragaia, or in their ceratopsians.   No wonder why... And this year, the Parasaurolophus doesn't have that issue, but their theropods don't have it any longer either. So, in the end, it all comes down to preferences. People who prefer ornithischians will say a sculptor's ornithischians are better (I have also never seen anyone here say a sculptor's theropods are "better" than their ornithischians or sauropods).

BTW, since everyone is talking about the Tarbosaurus, there are some in hand pics of the Yutyrannus now. Paleofiguras has shown them. It looks lovely.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Ceratopsids dp have larger scales than any of the scaly theropods PNSO have released though, so that js accurate.

I will vaguely add myself to the I liev this but would have preferred Zhuchengtyrannus crowd. I am happy with the Favorite Co Museum Exclusive Tarbosaurus, but less so with their Zhuchengtyrannus, and I was hoping for a PNSO pair of Zhuchengtyrannus and Sinoceratops to replace that set.
As for the chunkiness of this Tarbosaurus, if it represents one of the largest specimens I imagine it would be extra chunky.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

John

Quote from: Flaffy on June 11, 2021, 05:54:36 PM

I own "Winter Wilson" too (along with the Qianzhousaurus), and I have to say, the inaccurate integument really detracts from what would otherwise be a near-perfect figure. It really felt like PNSO at that time was stuck in the mindset that "more scales = better figure", as evident by their initial trio of corn-cob textured theropods.

I'm really glad that they improved upon this on their Allosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus and Tarbosaurus.
Yes those three are very impressive.The only thing I may have done differently if it were up to me is maybe have them depicted with immobile lizard like lips that concealed the teeth when the mouth was closed,but that's just my opinion,not a hard fact.

stargatedalek

Are the preserved Tyrannosaurus feathers an open secret at this point? I see people discuss it in other places, and I've never signed any sort of NDA so at this point I'm comfortable saying I've seen the photos and vouch for it.

This Tarbosaurus just feels woefully uncreative to me, and even ignoring the integument the tooth placement is borked. "We made T. rex big and wide, how do we make Tarbosaurus look different? Make it big and deep?" It just feels so forced.

SRF

Quote from: Concavenator on June 11, 2021, 06:35:21 PM
Whoah, I was expecting the next figure for this line would be a Torvosaurus, not a Tarbosaurus.

Still, that's great news. I'll admit I wanted to see a PNSO Tarbosaurus, and if we're to choose, I certainly prefer a Tarbosaurus over a Zhuchengtyrannus, even if the former has gotten more attention than the latter. They sure are creating an amazing lineup of tyrannosaurs, they're masters at them already! If they have plans for another one, I'm hoping it will be a Sinotyrannus.

I see a lot of people saying it's too bulky... I don't think that's wrong. According to Brusatte's and Carr's paper  "The phylogeny and evolutionary history of tyrannosauroid dinosaurs" (2016), Tarbosaurus is Tyrannosaurus' sister taxon. So I don't think the fact of it being smaller (and it's not like Tyrannosaurus easily outsized Tarbosaurus either) is any excuse for being necessarily lighter. It could have been smaller and similarly bulky. In fact, Daspletosaurus, which is also smaller than Tyrannosaurus (and Tarbosaurus) is considered to be more heavily built than T.rex.

I clearly prefer the subtle scale detail in comparison to their newer Wilson, but it's ridiculous that most of the criticism that figure gets is due to that detail. Sure, technically it's less accurate, but from my perspective at least it's a very minor fault, and by any means it's a deal breaker. We have been getting scaly dinosaur figures with relatively too big scales practically since forever (and also, some figures that are very popular within the community suffer from this, for example, the AAOD Australovenator, the Safari Sauropelta, and the CollectA Mamenchisaurus, just to name a few) and it's only very recently that some of the companies that pay attention to scientific accuracy have started to implement this (including Safari themselves). To each their own, but if we're finding complaints I find the scaly face on the upcoming BotM Dilong much worse than this "scales too big" issue.

And to me, and contrary to what it's often said in this forum, I don't think PNSO's ornithischians are any better than their theropods. I'd say they're both equal to each other. People complaint on the "scales too big issue" on their theropods, but curiously I have never seen anyone complaint about that on their Tuojiangosaurus and Miragaia, or in their ceratopsians.   No wonder why... And this year, the Parasaurolophus doesn't have that issue, but their theropods don't have it any longer either. So, in the end, it all comes down to preferences. People who prefer ornithischians will say a sculptor's ornithischians are better (I have also never seen anyone here say a sculptor's theropods are "better" than their ornithischians or sauropods).

BTW, since everyone is talking about the Tarbosaurus, there are some in hand pics of the Yutyrannus now. Paleofiguras has shown them. It looks lovely.

I fully agree with you on PNSO's theropods. It's good to see PNSO is continuously improving, but when Wilson came out it had the best skin details I've ever seen on a PNSO theropod figure. It was already a step up compared to the old Wilson and other theropods that PNSO released prior to 2020.

I've seen the in hand pictures of the Yutyrannus as well:

But today, I'm just being father

John

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 11, 2021, 06:51:26 PM
Are the preserved Tyrannosaurus feathers an open secret at this point? I see people discuss it in other places, and I've never signed any sort of NDA so at this point I'm comfortable saying I've seen the photos and vouch for it.

Where are you seeing this discussion and photos?I can find nothing about this anywhere online.

stargatedalek

Most of those comparisons are actively unfair. Dilong was what, around 4-6 feet long? At that scale the scales can be as big or small as the sculptor wants them to be. Same for Sauropelta, it's a small enough animal that at the size the figure is the scales can be made pretty big or highlighted and it's not unrealistic. And while the large scutes of the AAOD Australovenator are extremely unlikely in themselves, it too is at a much larger scale than any of the recent PNSO theropods.

The CollectA Mamenchisaurus does have oversized scales, but it also doesn't try to highlight them. They are relatively discreet and blend in, just like PNSO's current large theropods.

And I happen to find a number of lines theropods preferrable to their ornithopods or ceratopsians. Both Wild Safari sculptors, Papo, BOTM in particular, and also (get this) PNSO.

Quote from: John on June 11, 2021, 07:04:54 PM
Where are you seeing this discussion and photos?I can find nothing about this anywhere online.
The photos I've seen privately, discussion is spread through a few different places. I can send the photos privately if you want.

suspsy

Say what?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 11, 2021, 07:21:13 PM

Most of those comparisons are actively unfair. Dilong was what, around 4-6 feet long? At that scale the scales can be as big or small as the sculptor wants them to be. Same for Sauropelta, it's a small enough animal that at the size the figure is the scales can be made pretty big or highlighted and it's not unrealistic. And while the large scutes of the AAOD Australovenator are extremely unlikely in themselves, it too is at a much larger scale than any of the recent PNSO theropods.

The CollectA Mamenchisaurus does have oversized scales, but it also doesn't try to highlight them. They are relatively discreet and blend in, just like PNSO's current large theropods.

And I happen to find a number of lines theropods preferrable to their ornithopods or ceratopsians. Both Wild Safari sculptors, Papo, BOTM in particular, and also (get this) PNSO.

Quote from: John on June 11, 2021, 07:04:54 PM
The photos I've seen privately, discussion is spread through a few different places. I can send the photos privately if you want.
Yes,I would like to se the photos.It would be much appreciated. :)

Gwangi

I'm also interested in these photos, this thread has taken an unexpected and interesting turn.

Patrx

Please do share if you can  ;D

Dinoguy2

And to me, and contrary to what it's often said in this forum, I don't think PNSO's ornithischians are any better than their theropods. I'd say they're both equal to each other. People complaint on the "scales too big issue" on their theropods, but curiously I have never seen anyone complaint about that on their Tuojiangosaurus and Miragaia, or in their ceratopsians.   No wonder why... And this year, the Parasaurolophus doesn't have that issue, but their theropods don't have it any longer either.

Ceratopsid scales actually ARE big and chunky. Stegosaur scales are unknown. Hadrosaur scales are minute, like theropods, but PNSO has always gotten this right going back to the beginning. The older PNSO theropods get criticized because they're the only ones with demonstrably inaccurate skin, which seems weird and possibly a marketing concession intended to compete with Rebor in "detail".

Other people saying Tarbosaurus is too bulky compared to T. rex or too deep-bellied: it's the svelt T. rex that's wrong. Safari has, up until now, the only T. rex with correct torso shape.

I'd also be curious about these supposed T. rex feathers. I feel it seems like something that would have crossed my feed if it's something in press that has leaked already 🤔
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I would also love to see the Tyrannosaurus feathers, I'm curious to know more, have been some o first caught a vague reference to new Tyrannosaurus integument found
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Carnoking

This thread went from hype about the new Tarbosaurus to "wait a minute what's that about T. rex feathers?" real quick!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: