News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Flaffy on June 11, 2021, 04:15:44 PM

I'm just eyeballing it at the moment, but I think the proportions here are very similar. The difference is the narrow torso in the skeletal. The figure has a much deeper chest caused by less concave gastralia arrangement plus lower shoulder position (same effect that makes the new Sue mount seem unusual). The skull reconstruction is obviously very different, the more slender skull of the figure making it look that much smaller compared to the body. I'm not sure if this is based on a particular specimen but the difference seems well within the range of variation seen in T. rex at least.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Concavenator

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 11, 2021, 07:21:13 PM
Most of those comparisons are actively unfair. Dilong was what, around 4-6 feet long? At that scale the scales can be as big or small as the sculptor wants them to be. Same for Sauropelta, it's a small enough animal that at the size the figure is the scales can be made pretty big or highlighted and it's not unrealistic. And while the large scutes of the AAOD Australovenator are extremely unlikely in themselves, it too is at a much larger scale than any of the recent PNSO theropods.

The CollectA Mamenchisaurus does have oversized scales, but it also doesn't try to highlight them. They are relatively discreet and blend in, just like PNSO's current large theropods.

I don't see how they are unfair. I just mentioned 3 examples of representatives from the theropods, ornithischians and sauropodomorphs groups that generally seem to be popular in this forum and that I have never seen anyone ever point that issue. On the other hand, when it comes to the 2020 PNSO Wilson, I have seen the claim that it has too big scales (which is true) so many times to the point that almost every time someone talks about that figure, that point is brought, and that's extremely unfair, when for other figures that issue is often overlooked or simply ignored.

And when it comes to the Dilong, I'm sorry if I was misunderstood, but I wasn't referring to the relative size of the scales, I was referring to the fact that it has a scaly face. That is very typical of older representations of feathered dinosaurs, and it's odd they opted to give the Dilong a scaly face when all the other feathered tyrannosaurs from the line have feathered faces. I personally find this off-putting and just for that, if I end up getting any figure from that line, it'll be another one. One aspect in which the PNSO Yutyrannus is superior to Safari's is because of the feathered face.

And regarding the relative size of the animal and the scale detail of the figure, if we're being strict the safest way to go would be opting for a wrinkly detail, as Battat or Carnegie did. The Battat Gastonia had that style.

Perhaps based on these posts it would seem that I'm very peevish, but I'm not at all. I really like those 3 figures I mentioned as examples, in the end, I just wanted to highlight the unfair criticism the poor Wilson gets. In fact, I recently got the Safari Sauropelta after all these years, and I'm smitten.

suspsy

Quote from: Carnoking on June 11, 2021, 08:02:44 PM
This threat went from hype about the new Tarbosaurus to "wait a minute what's that about T. rex feathers?" real quick!

If T. rex feathers were indeed confirmed, it would be one of the biggest paleontological stories of all time, no exaggeration. It would be covered in all the media across the planet (as every T. rex story always is), it would force a number of prominent paleontologists to eat crow, and it would throw the online dinosaur fandom into a maelstrom. Fanboy rage tears would be falling so hard, you could bathe in them. Or fill up cooking pots and then cook a big spaghetti dinner for those same fanboys to console themselves over. But we mustn't get ahead of ourselves with delightful imagery.

I don't think the Tarbosaurus is overly bulky. It's definitely bulkier than previous renditions, but it doesn't appear to be beyond the realm of plausibility.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

No kidding, I started today excited about this figure, now all I want to know is more about what's going on with our old friend.

Concavenator

The OP needs to be updated, yet again.

Stegotyranno420

So where is the evidence for the feathers then...

Thialfi

I honestly don't think this evidence exists..

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Thialfi on June 11, 2021, 09:35:24 PM
I honestly don't think this evidence exists..
I've just seen a picture. Now I don't have the specimen in hand, but I'm really not convinced. Could be anything from muscle tissue to algae. Just squiggly striations in some vague proximity to a T. rex specimen. Not surprised it hasn't been published, you'd probably need chemical analysis to tell what it is.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Thialfi @Thialfi Υεαλ, ਅαγβε
I would really lıke to see ıt tho

Faelrin

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek As many here I am out of the loop of such a substantial claim of T. rex having evidence of feathers or some form of filaments. Which specimen is this supposedly from? A juvenile or adult? Why is there minimal discussion of this unless it is something kept under wraps by a select few (which seems unnecessary for what is an extinct animal that everyone should have the right to learn about)?

Is this regarding the infamous Dueling Dinosaurs specimen (which I know has evidence of integument, but not to what extent) or another? That will not be publicly revealed until next year.

Edit: avatar_SRF @SRF Thanks for sharing those images of the Yutyrannus. It looks magnificent and I'm really glad that it does. It was one I was most excited for.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Patrx

An intriguing deviation, to be sure, but let's do please remain on-topic. PNSO 2021.

Stegotyranno420

SRF

Quote from: Faelrin on June 11, 2021, 09:54:37 PM
Edit: avatar_SRF @SRF Thanks for sharing those images of the Yutyrannus. It looks magnificent and I'm really glad that it does. It was one I was most excited for.

You're welcome. The Yutyrannus was definitely the one I was looking forward to the most as well, until today. It's a shame it's only available on Amazon for now, but it really is looking good. Seems to stand well on its own without support of the plastic rod as well.
But today, I'm just being father

Faelrin

Yeah I think I'll wait until Aliexpress seller's like My Online Toy Shop or Model Toy Center get them in. I would ideally like to order both it and the Spinosaurus still perhaps later or sometime next month.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hi all I think I've mentioned it before in my art thread, but if you order anything through Amazon, consider using their AmazonSmile page and selecting the Backyard Terrors Dinosaur Park here as your charity, they give us about 10% or so of the purchase price if it's something that qualifies and it costs nothing extra to you. Just check out from this page instead : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MZXCYXR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A21A44JVH766WE&psc=1

I order all our park needs from there.  Thanks for your time!

SRF

Quote from: Faelrin on June 11, 2021, 10:32:00 PM
Yeah I think I'll wait until Aliexpress seller's like My Online Toy Shop or Model Toy Center get them in. I would ideally like to order both it and the Spinosaurus still perhaps later or sometime next month.

Well from what I've understood, the Yutyrannus will not be available on AliExpress for the next two months. In the best case it would be available at the end of July, but it will probably be later. I'm not sure if that applies for the Tarbosaurus as well. I've asked My Online Toy Store about that but they haven't replied yet.
But today, I'm just being father

Skorpio V.

Meanwhile in a perfect world...
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Skorpio V. on June 11, 2021, 11:41:30 PM
Meanwhile in a perfect world...

Needs bigger arms, but otherwise yeah that would be nice...

Tarbosaurus and rex are pretty similar, many of the differences wouldn't be obvious in a life restoration other than stuff like skull width and arm length. This figure could stand in as a T. rex and be a more accurate T. rex than most T. rex figures.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Tarbosaurus is supposed to have the smallest arms proportionately of all Tyrannosaurids as far as I am aware, and the extra soft tissue on the model makes it look even smaller. The arms look a fine length. It's only flaws to me are the lack of lips and the fact it isn't Zhuchengtyrannus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on June 12, 2021, 01:45:55 AM
Tarbosaurus is supposed to have the smallest arms proportionately of all Tyrannosaurids as far as I am aware, and the extra soft tissue on the model makes it look even smaller. The arms look a fine length. It's only flaws to me are the lack of lips and the fact it isn't Zhuchengtyrannus.

I meant the photoshopped image of the figure as a T. rex would need bigger arms 😁

By the way if PNSO actually made Skorpio's version of a gray T. rex with a big belly they should name it Zallinger.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: