News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faras

PNSO Tarbosaurus in hand pics.

Picked it up during late afternoon when nature light was dying out, so apologise for the bad lighting (phone auto adjust under artificial lighting and makes unreal presentation of the colouration).

Length along curves: 32-32.5cm - 1:35 11.2-11.4m, so around same size as holotype. The skull shape is probably based on specimen MPC-D 107/2 to make this Tarbo look more different from T-rex.

Material seems a bit harder than other PNSO dinos. Stands very well (probably still need the stand to stop toes from bending). Scales are deeper (part of it might be caused by paint, but scales on the thighs do feels deeper than Parasaurus's when touched) while maintaining similar size as earlier releases of this year. Muscles are more bulky partially due to the pose (Stego, Carcha etc are in rather calm poses). Feet do not look oversized imho, surely not standing out like in one of their promotion pics (same length or slightly shorter than Wilson's while being wider, which is reasonable as this Tarbo look more robust). Paint is fairly good, nice teeth, superb details/muscle and skin tension. I do like the imposing bulk so no complain  ;D

Flaffy

Quote from: Faras on June 18, 2021, 06:57:24 PM
Recent reconstructions of paleoartists have varying snots ranging from rectangular and triangular (some with a curve at tip, some without) which is honestly quite confusing so I would refrain from criticising triangular snot shape.

That's fair. Looking at the promo pics more I'll probably do the same as well.

Also I checked MPC-D 107/2's proportions, while it's not the larger specimen, you're correct in that it's certainly the more complete one.
I did a bit of rough calculating between the ratio of the skull length and femur length, the results were unexpected~
Skull : Femur
PNSO's skeletal - 1.140 : 1
Franoy's skeletal - 1.079 : 1
GAT's skeletal - 1.094 : 1

PNSO's Tarbosaurus has the longest skull to femur ratio. It also happens to have the shallowest and longest skull out of the 3 reconstructions. Maybe PNSO didn't fully account for crushing? So with the combination of a thin skull, and an extra thick body, it gives the illusion of a midget-headed Tarbosaurus. When in reality it's probably well within the realm of possibility.

Faras

Quote from: Flaffy on June 18, 2021, 07:29:10 PM

PNSO's Tarbosaurus has the longest skull to femur ratio. It also happens to have the shallowest and longest skull out of the 3 reconstructions. Maybe PNSO didn't fully account for crushing? So with the combination of a thin skull, and an extra thick body, it gives the illusion of a midget-headed Tarbosaurus. When in reality it's probably well within the realm of possibility.

Yeah Jurassic Plastic on fb posted comparison of MPC-D 107/2 by Franoys and PNSO's Tarbo, it does seem they made the head a bit too long (probably trying to make Tarbo look more different from T-rex and "accidentally" overdid it).

Link: https://www.facebook.com/472966553492137/photos/gm.2834086036732414/943314703123984/

Faras

Hmm seems I'm a bit late for the discussion, but I would still like to share some thoughts on the topic, if that's ok with you guys  ^-^

Starting this hobby (and childhood dream) in 2020, I have been only collecting PNSO models (been considering BotM but lacking both space and funds). Debate of accuracy aside, PNSO models are the only affordable dino toys giving me the vibe. Few pic toys have the right muscle tension and skin folding for the pose, nevermind adjusting skeleton structures. Most dino toys have symmetric hips and "straight" tails despite the dino is walking, for example. PNSO ones might not look dashing at first glance, but they surely look natural from all angles. The more I watch them, the more appreciation I have for their lively presentation of the species. Zhao Chuang is one of the top Chinese paleoartists (and being the first one in China to take up paleoart as career, he is widely regarded as "the guy"), since others nearly only make expensive resin statues, I am very thankful as without PNSO, collecting art of top paleoartists with toy price could be a lot harder.

Speaking about "affordable", PNSO has already gotten most of the scientific dino toy market in China as models sell for half the amazon prices. In Chinese dino toy forum when someone asks about CollectA/Papo/Safari, 90% chance you'd see "get PNSO's instead" or "wait for PNSO's" in first ten posts. Nanmu and W Dragon Allosaurus were heavily criticized when PNSO one came out with half the price. I (and possibly many others) was planning to buy GRtoys Carcharodontosaurus until PNSO Carcha arrived (luckily sculptor of GRtoys also runs resin statue line M.See). Even BotM is affected - despite David Silva's ceratops being better and articulated, they cost about four times more. So if PNSO do drop price globally, good for us collectors for a while, but very toxic to the of market. It would very possibly kill off scientific paleo lines of other brands. PNSO has been nicely taking up criticism and suggestions, but what if pressure from competitors is lifted? This is not smething I would dare to risk. For people concerned about price, there is legal walkaround for regional pricing which, like all other money-saving walkarounds, demands time and effort which is fair imho.

I'm not saying it's wrong to criticize price, especially when it comes to comparison price and quality of different models of same brand. eg new Stego is probably globally regarded as overpriced (imo also waste of excellent sculpture). PNSO does need improvements in many aspects, mainly paint (I mean, they have done well on some models in the past, it's a shame that they cannot keep it 100%) and quality control - my first Allosaurus arrived with part of his right calf missing and bit of brown paint on teeth making his face look asymmetrical, then second one again has a cut on right calf. tbh I can find one or more faults on nearly all my PNSO models. These flaws make me I'm somewhat happy that they did not choose to kill other brands by flooding the market with cheap toys so they can slack later.

Anyways, pics from Tieba to brighten the mood  ;D

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Flaffy on June 18, 2021, 03:35:06 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 17, 2021, 11:55:15 PM
avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy  I don't know bout you but I can clearly see the outlin of the skull

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420  Not sure why the modern palaeontology community considers even mild outlines of fenetrae/skull "shrinkwrapping".
I've given this example and I'll give it again: if the PNSO Torvosaurus can be considered shrinkwrapped, then the Saurian Tyrannosaurus is shrinkwrapped as well. Dinosaurs should not be entirely reconstructed with mammalian soft tissue in mind.]
Reptiles (avian and non avian) are also reconstructed as such. No animal today has skull outlines. Even if it's not shrink wrap, it's still too skinny

PhilSauria

Robin, I'd have to agree with you.

I have had an enforced absence from collecting due to losing my job thanks to the effect of the pandemic on the industry I worked in, but now that I am once more employed (and have two orders on the way) I am seriously considering, on experiencing a similar reaction to the one you describe after reading recent posts, either going back to lurking or just scrolling through for new images and not reading the posts.

Far be it for me to say that if people have issues with these figures that they shouldn't voice them, it's just as you say it does take the edge off the enjoyment of a figure that you may find very appealing to read not one but several opinions taking the thing to task over this issue or that.

I am very impressed by the naturalistic recreations of these species by PNSO, giving as good an impression of how the living animals may have looked as I've seen, and playing catch-up on the releases so far, though not every one will end up on my shelves (not a completest) - and the poor bank balance couldn't cope!, and trying to cherry pick what I want from the releases to come will be my focus. Not reading about the dissatisfaction others may have with the models.

Just wish PNSO would throw some Sauropods into the mix as well, then I'd really be an even happier collector.

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 18, 2021, 04:14:10 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on June 18, 2021, 03:49:30 PM

..I started to post more and more rarely on DTF because of things like that... too much negativity, too many criticisms, no joy in collecting anymore, too many super-experts and less and less collectors... DTF has changed so much..  :'(

-

My bronze Thalassodromeus is due to arrive soon.  But I must confess I'll be wary of saying much about it in case the criticism deflates my collector joy too painfully.

On a cheaper note, my Pachycephalosaurus is due to arrive tomorrow from Everything Dinosaur!

ITdactyl

I'm torn between "Connor" and "Yinqi". Sadly I can only pick one, but I really like the execution of both designs.

Quote from: PhilSauria on June 19, 2021, 12:05:17 AM
Just wish PNSO would throw some Sauropods into the mix as well, then I'd really be an even happier collector.

If PNSO produces an Alamosaurus... oh me oh my... I know this is more for the PNSO wish thread, but I'd rather have an Alamosaurus paired with my Wilson even with that updated Doyle in the horizon.

My bronze Thalassodromeus is due to arrive soon. 

dies of envy....
..remembers there's still a chance PNSO produces a plastic version...
...resurrects O:-)

Abobo

Quote from: Faras on June 19, 2021, 12:01:23 AM

what the!!?

Faras

Quote from: Abobo on June 19, 2021, 12:21:41 AM

what the!!?

One particular unlucky (or lucky, teehee) guy got it freshly out of box last year (or early this year, can't remember). There are also Pachycephalosaurus with half brown head and Allosaurus without eyes, but nothing beat this one ;D ;D ;D

Dusty Wren

My bronze Thalassodromeus is due to arrive soon.  But I must confess I'll be wary of saying much about it in case the criticism deflates my collector joy too painfully.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, I hope you'll still post some photos of it when it arrives. PNSO's bronzes are works of art, and I'm glad you managed to get one. I promise you'll get no criticisms from me--I just want to gush over how cool it is ;D
Check out my customs thread!

Stegotyranno420

Well I am sorry for criticizing very rudeley if I did

SidB

Quote from: Faras on June 19, 2021, 12:48:41 AM

what the!!?

One particular unlucky (or lucky, teehee) guy got it freshly out of box last year (or early this year, can't remember). There are also Pachycephalosaurus with half brown head and Allosaurus without eyes, but nothing beat this one ;D ;D ;D
Looking on the bright side, at least it wasn't a $60,000  automotive lemon or a house riddled with termites.

Faelrin

B @Bokisaurus You've made some excellent points about how new this brand of figures are, their unfortunate disappearance, and the return with the quality many of these figures have, some minor issues aside (which doesn't impact each figure as it is), as well things like the cost of these figures increasing, which is not only due to cost of materials (especially in a post covid world now), as well as the cost of living, and other things, etc. It's definitely a very complicated matter. You make a good point about these being the new mid range, like Papo as I suspected, but yeah I hope you are right that they will not impact those other brands as much, as I still like seeing what they bring to the table every year.

Something else they've done a good job is putting out some much needed and updated representation for some prehistoric animals like the Lambeosaurus and Corythosaurus from last year, or like the Helicoprion, Pinacosaurus, and Torvosaurus this year. Despite some minor anatomical issues, these are far and away some of the best out there for these animals. Aside from some of the more famous animals, I would like to see them continue to filling in the gaps, but hopefully at a slower pace from here on out.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Oh congrats on getting a hold of that one. I still hope they do one I can afford someday, lol. Definitely a rarely represented pterosaur currently.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Yes it is definitely getting overwhelming for me at times as well. It's so hard to keep up with most of it in my case as so so much interests me. But I am also getting to a point now where I must really must consider what I want the most, from lack of space, and money. The reality is that I'm just not going to be able to get all that I like, because ultimately I won't have the space and/or money for it. I've also fallen quite behind on many releases, because of prioritizing the Mattel line for better or worse, and that's primarily because the scalpers have been getting more and more brazen every year. Just look at the prices the Amber Collection Dilophosaurus is already going for, which only just released last year. I honestly am starting to wonder how long I can keep going, unless I inevitably need to start selling things off, giving them away, or storing them. My brand new bookcase? Already crammed and running out of space there, never mind elsewhere in my room. In regards to PNSO again, I've actually been considering skipping on some of their newer releases, like their Allosaurus because while I like it, I still have the Papo one that I've liked for many years, despite its issues. Like I'm starting to think that unless I feel like I did towards the Lambeosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Spinosaurus, and the recent Yutyrannus as well, then perhaps I should skip it, or delay getting it for next year, which would give me much more time to decide and think on how much I really do want it. And generally perhaps I should reserve my very limited collection space to those that are the ones that interest me the absolute most anyways.

Regarding some of the criticism, I do think I agree with avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres in regards to some of it, in that by bringing the anatomical issues to light one can better learn from it. I actually learned a lot (which inspired me to delve deeper), after the discussion regarding the horns (and even nostril placement, etc) on the Torvosaurus. I still think it is quite awesome, and a much needed new take on it, but it really doesn't hurt to be aware of those things that are not reflected in the fossil record.

I'd like to add that I can see why some feel there is a bit of negativity here of late, and I apologize for probably adding to that, in this thread and others (such as the JWD one). Thinking about it, I guess I have been pretty critical at times here (such as with the Winter Wilson, and the new Stegosaurus), and while perhaps some of it may have been justified, perhaps at other times I've been too harsh. Thinking about it more, it's possible my very recent home life situation could be impacting me here, as lately I've been catching on that I have been a bit more reserved and out of character as of late, and with being autistic I don't handle sudden major changes well, and this could be how it is coming out, even if subconsciously so.

avatar_Faras @Faras I don't believe I welcomed you to the forum yet, so I'll do so now. Oops.

Anyways thank you for those wonderful pictures of the new Tarbosaurus. It really is the one I've been waiting quite a while for (unless Safari were to do one, I would probably still be pleased with their take). Now if only there was an Albertosaurus and/or Gorgosaurus done like that. I mean I know the BotM ones are coming, but those will be in a much bigger scale, and will be action figures too.

Also thanks for adding your input to the discussion, as well as others here. I'm glad to hear you've finally found something that brings you a lot of joy for this hobby.

And that poor Qianzhousaurus. My poor Safari Ltd Baryonyx suffers from a badly warped jaw as well, albeit in a different manner, but well that is a figure from another company, and obviously did not ship inside a box (and was shipped alongside many other figures, including a particularly large and heavy gorilla). How such a thing occurred to that Qianzhousaurus is utterly puzzling, particularly as it clearly shipped with the box.

Anyways while this post is quite long enough, it looks like my plans to get the Yutyrannus (etc) may be delayed until next month or so. I'll manage, but it is definitely one I am very stoked to get my hands on. While I can notice some slight difference between the prototype pics and the in hand ones, it hasn't detracted from it much at all for me, much like the recent Spinosaurus for instance.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SRF

But today, I'm just being father

acro-man

HEY! Does anybody remember our old friend the vinyl T-rex the VERY first of all PNSO products?
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7411816805
Look at their round belly and smooth skin (and pose in some way) - almost identical!
I call this an "evolution to the starting point".
After years of trials and errors, all PNSO has been trying to do, all the effort they put into creating new finer textures, is to bring the beauty back to the first T-rex who deserved it then but couldn't because of inexperiences and immature techniques.

What a remarkable improvement of quality by them!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Pachyventer

The first in-hand pictures of the Torvosaurus. The quality of photos is far from perfect. Still, they give "the shape"))
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7411651808

ITdactyl

Ugh... looks so good.

'Might have to let go of my Wilson (and a kidney), so I can get both "Connor" and "Yinqi". ;D

SRF

Paleofiguras posted a lot of pictures of the Torvosaurus on their Facebook page. They are divided over two posts, so it's too much to post them here since I'm on my phone. There are some nice comparisons with the Allosaurus and with PNSO's larger theropods as well.

I've gotta say, it's surely nice to see the T. Rex, Tarbo, Carchar and Torvosaurus together like that. Although I know PNSO has improved a lot on the skin details of their theropods in the past months, seeing them from a distance Wilson is still the one that definitely stands out the most for me. The coloration, overall shape, proportions and the pose still really make it my favorite PNSO theropod figure. I guess nothing beats that T. Rex charm for me.  :D

But of course I'm looking very much forward to receiving the Tarbosaurus, Yutyrannus and Torvosaurus I've ordered. They're all fantastic looking figures to me as well.  :))
But today, I'm just being father

Abobo

Quote from: Faras on June 19, 2021, 12:48:41 AM

what the!!?

A-Shu Donald Duck Special Limited Edition

Austin Friar Tuck Special Limited Edition

Paul Zatoichi Special Limited Edition

Can't wait to get them!

ceratopsian

avatar_Faras @Faras - your pictures of the poor deformed Qianzhousaurus certainly brightened my spirits!  What a surprise for the owner.  Let's hope they got a replacement.  (PNSO sent immediately me a replacement on the one occasion I pointed out a flaw in a model I'd bought.)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: