News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

sorry you guys are so bothered by the seam line! I know the frustration. I will still pick this up eventually though, i love it very much.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

SidB

Quote from: Reuben03 on September 22, 2021, 12:29:12 PM
sorry you guys are so bothered by the seam line! I know the frustration. I will still pick this up eventually though, i love it very much.
You may have the capacity to "willingly suspend disbelief or at least the rejection of the anomalous." That's a very positive thing as it allows you to accept that which isn't perfect in everyway, avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 . You can enjoy your acquisitions and even other people more, because you don't get turned off by flaws] pretty hard to avoid errors, flaws and declensions from the ideal in this world. They surround us and include us. Ah well, sorry for getting "philosophical".

Reuben03

Quote from: SidB on September 22, 2021, 01:18:23 PM
You may have the capacity to "willingly suspend disbelief or at least the rejection of the anomalous." That's a very positive thing as it allows you to accept that which isn't perfect in everyway, avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 . You can enjoy your acquisitions and even other people more, because you don't get turned off by flaws] pretty hard to avoid errors, flaws and declensions from the ideal in this world. They surround us and include us. Ah well, sorry for getting "philosophical".
very true!

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Reuben03 on September 22, 2021, 01:31:16 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 22, 2021, 01:18:23 PM
very true!

We all have our of opinion of course, but I'm honestly more bothered by some of the comments here about that seam line than it.
So much negative.
There must have been a reason why it was done that way. Is the figure hollowed out?
Also, until I see more than a couple photos of  on hand, I'm reserving any final comments.
There is a lot of variance due to QC .

I bet if this model was not by  PNSO, people will be so excited by it🤔

Medzo

Hmmmm, I do dislike that seam line. Something like that belongs to a toy and not a $40+ model. Not to mention that on the promotional images it's much more subtle. This is just a very bad preference the demand should reply to buy not buying. But that's just my point of view of course.

The actual design of the model is beautiful, only the implementation is questionable.

Bread

Quote from: Medzo on September 22, 2021, 02:58:37 PM
Hmmmm, I do dislike that seam line. Something like that belongs to a toy and not a $40+ model. Not to mention that on the promotional images it's much more subtle. This is just a very bad preference the demand should reply to buy not buying. But that's just my point of view of course.

The actual design of the model is beautiful, only the implementation is questionable.
Gotta disagree with you here. Yes it is a shame the seam line is obvious on this figure, but does that make it a bad figure that no one should buy? No. I wouldn't say to anyone to not buy this figure because of it.

Speaking of seam lines, they are on figures that cost well over $40+. Take a look at Nanmu's previous Tyrannosaurus. The seams were obvious around the legs connected to the body. I never understood the harsh criticisms of that figure's seam lines, I thought they were hidden somewhat well until pointed out. Of course Nanmu then switched back to the knee seams which again are apparent until pointed out with their new upcoming rex.

Lynx

I feel like we all have to stop and remember the majority of PNSO models are toys for young children. There are few models targeted at actual adults and collectors.
Young children buying this figure for entertainment are less likely to care about a seam line.
And I have to say, regardless of the target audience, the seam line isn't that noticeable anyhow, especially in some of the more recent images.
An oversized house cat.

Medzo

Well I only meant that its not an attitude of negativity, more like quality control by the community. Surely if someone likes the figure will not care about it and buys all the same.

But we can't deny it wouldn't look better without a less obvious seam line. Just imagine it has an additional flaw too. Still probably would be a great model but the flaw would not stop to exist.

I can't help but make this question: could PNSO enhance the quality be decreasing releases and focus more on product details instead of instantly jumping on the next one? Maybe they are not correlated at all and my implications are false. I'm not an expert in dino toy/model production. I just want to demonstrate my concerns with it.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lynx on September 22, 2021, 03:52:54 PM
I feel like we all have to stop and remember the majority of PNSO models are toys for young children. There are few models targeted at actual adults and collectors.
Young children buying this figure for entertainment are less likely to care about a seam line.
And I have to say, regardless of the target audience, the seam line isn't that noticeable anyhow, especially in some of the more recent images.
These figures are 4-5 times the price of Safari or CollectA equivalents, and 2-3 times equivalents by Papo or even PNSO's earlier models which were already targeting older children. It feels actively disingenuous to say current PNSO figures are meant to be toys for children when they charge $40 for a figure Safari would charge $8 for, with barely any increase in things like paint app or quality control to make up that difference.

suspsy

I think it's pretty obvious that the products they've released over the course of this year have been marketed primarily towards adult collectors. 
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on September 22, 2021, 09:11:32 PM

I think it's pretty obvious that the products they've released over the course of this year have been marketed primarily towards adult collectors.
I'd have to agree; one element that seems to confirm this assertion is that teeth, claws and horns are sharp, breakable (often highly so), strongly indicating an adult clientele, regardless of what PNSO claims.

Takama

Has anyone considerd that Pnso GEARS TOWRDS PARENTS?    and the model is ment to be handled by them? While there educatinal materials are made to be read to thier kids

ceratopsian

Yes, avatar_Takama @Takama, I had thought that parents are one of their target audiences (not their only target).

Quote from: Takama on September 23, 2021, 12:22:46 AM
Has anyone considerd that Pnso GEARS TOWRDS PARENTS?    and the model is ment to be handled by them? While there educatinal materials are made to be read to thier kids

Psittacoraptor

Maybe there are some financial benefits to making educational products in China? Just pure speculation on my part, but I've been wondering about this for a while. The discrepancy between making expensive (compared to Schleich, Collecta, Safari) scientific models, which are labeled "not suitable for children under 14" on the box, and the branding as educational toys might be explained this way. Schleich and the others are very clearly marketed towards children, just one look at their websites shows this. The way PNSO presents their products as "scientific art", as they call it, is completely different.

stargatedalek

Charging more money to appeal to parents narcissistic qualities, hadn't even thought of that. Oof.

Faras

PNSO Tylosaurus

Length along curves: 40cm

Aye it's hollow, light enough to float  :P

Group shot:

Common issues: jaws are somewhat bent sideways and tiny bits of paints were rubbed off (probably caused by packing, it's wrapped in paper and placed in foams like museum line), plenty of seam lines...

Bent jaws: upper jaw is bent towards the left and lower to the right
Spoiler

[close]

Seam lines: the one around front flippers - chest is highly visible within 1m range due to rather fine scales and smooth body. Seam lines along the spine on body piece and head/heck/chest piece aren't connected (seems to me the skin folding at front flippers connect perfectly, so it's probably designed that way, annoying though).
Vid: https://www.facebook.com/100008136481227/videos/pcb.2916095721864778/997366134420338
Spoiler

[close]

Superb pose and details (esp the mouth), okish simple paints (tbh they'll probably ruin complex paints). It's a brilliant, dynamic figure imho if you can tolerate those horrible seam lines on a $38.99 piece.

Full views:
Spoiler

[close]

Head and mouth:
Spoiler

[close]

Bokisaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 23, 2021, 01:17:52 PM
Charging more money to appeal to parents narcissistic qualities, hadn't even thought of that. Oof.
Seriously? So now not only are we judging the model and PNSO, but also parents who buy them and calling them narcissistic for doing so? That's so low and unnecessary!
It's one thing if you don't like the model or the company whatever, but there is no need to be judgmental about people who actually like the figure and parents who buy them.
It's comments like this that's really so toxic.

I'm sure there are many parents here who like and buy the PNSO figures that doesn't fit your label.
You don't know these people to judge them.

Bokisaurus

avatar_Faras @Faras thank you for those photos, that explains a lot about the seam lines if it's hollow! They must have been concerned about the weight to try out hollowing it out. Perhaps also explain why it's cheaper.

It's an amazing and good size figure.😃

Faras

B @Bokisaurus My pleasure :) Aye seems it's a bit like Basilosaurus - hollow so awful position for seams, and not enough wrinkles to hide them. Since they also moved to foam packing, maybe they are really hit by plastic shortage mentioned by P @paleochris

Yeah I dare say the model is top-notch, shame PNSO seriously likes to make things imperfect in some ways :P

Bread

I still don't understand the constant fuss over the seam line. I feel like I've repeated myself a few times by now but it is truly disgusting how others continue to bash it. The comments have been made, just move on already.

Thank you avatar_Faras @Faras for the pictures! It is again a shame the seam lines are present but its still a beautiful piece. Will be picking this one up as my first prehistoric marine life.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: