News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eocarcharia

I'll probably just stick with the Safari one, but I am curious, are their any improvements to this Tylosaurus (accuracy-wise) compared to the Safari version? Or maybe I should ask, are there any inaccuracies with the Safari one?

Concavenator

That's a great looking looking mosasaur! But that colour scheme...it's not necessarily bad (I'd say it's within the realm of possibility) but I have literally been waiting since 2014 to see a black mosasaur figure. A paper came out in 2014 suggesting that marine reptiles (mosasaurs included) were dark coloured on top and light coloured on the ventral part (Johan Lingren et al. " Skin pigmentation provides evidence of convergent melanism in extinct marine reptiles. Nature, 2014"). If only this Tylosaurus had the colors of their Kronosaurus, I'd be all over it.

I clearly remember that paper even though I'm not at all versed on marine reptiles.

BTW, the OP needs to be updated yet again.

Faras

Store page translation :D

Link: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.13.205c7484cpCNvu&id=655683202551

Mainland China release on 0:00 20th Sept, +8GMT (global release should be a few hours earlier or later). Price is probably same as Olorotitan, $38.99.

No. 56 Evan the Tylosaurus (Olorotitan is No. 53, wonder what's 54/55/56)
Having your own museum is great
Spoiler

[close]

How did Zhao Chuang and Yang Yang creat Evan the Tylosaurus

Who is Evan the Tylosaurus
Evan the Tylosaurus is a brilliant hunter in the ocean, every part of its body was born for the sea: long and robust tail is propeller for its movements, wide flippers are rudders for changing its directions. It's big and agile, having advantages in both strength and speed. Having such dazzling talents, no wonder it became predator in the ocean. Commendably, Evan the Tylosaurus is rational enough to know the importance of restrain its desires (sarcasm? ;))

Model design: sci-artist Zhao Chuang

Evan the Tylosaurus
Figure material: eco PVC, hand painted
Figure size: 31cm x 9.5cm x 8.5cm (length along curves: 40cm)
Spoiler
[close]

Size of Evan the Tylosaurus
Tylosaurus is huge, Cretaceous oceans were filled with savage predators, massive body size gave it big advantages in competitions. We set Evan's length to 14m, it was a giant in oceans back then.

*Flippers

Body of Evan the Tylosaurus
Tylosaurus is not only big but also has advanced body structures, we emphasized on this when reconstructing Evan the Tylosaurus. The flippers it used to control directions are very similar to shark fins. Its tail has great length, nearly half the length of its body. Tail is the main source of power. Its skin has very fine scales. These details are well presented on Evan the Tylosaurus.
Spoiler
[close]

Head of Evan the Tylosaurus
One of our focuses in this reconstruction is the head of Evan the Tylosaurus. Its head is a narrow triangle, with a elongated conical rostrum on the end of its snout which might be used as weapon in combat. Therefore teeth on its maxilla did not grow all the way till end of snout, this was clearly presented in reconstruction.

On the other hand, fossil of soft tissues around Tylosaurus' ear was discovered, studies showed its eardrums were exposed at earhole openings, this was very helpful for our reconstruction.

*Conical rostrum
*Eardrum
Spoiler
[close]

Package size: 36cm x 11cm x 14cm

*Transparent stands for long term support

Tylosaurus sci-art poster inside package: 42cm x 29.7cm
Spoiler
[close]

Mosasaurus family
Evan the Tylosaurus
Ron the Mosasaurus
Spoiler
[close]

Zhao Chuang, Yang Yang and PNSO stories of earth sci-art creation plan (2010-2070)
yada yada yada...
PNSO new art education plan, creat wonderful stories of earth with Zhao Chuang and Yang Yang
Spoiler
[close]

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on September 17, 2021, 11:30:39 PM
That's a great looking looking mosasaur! But that colour scheme...it's not necessarily bad (I'd say it's within the realm of possibility) but I have literally been waiting since 2014 to see a black mosasaur figure. A paper came out in 2014 suggesting that marine reptiles (mosasaurs included) were dark coloured on top and light coloured on the ventral part (Johan Lingren et al. " Skin pigmentation provides evidence of convergent melanism in extinct marine reptiles. Nature, 2014"). If only this Tylosaurus had the colors of their Kronosaurus, I'd be all over it.

I clearly remember that paper even though I'm not at all versed on marine reptiles.

What about the PNSO Mosasaurus?  It's black isn't it?

Reuben03

Quote from: Sim on September 19, 2021, 06:06:19 PM
you mean the walking with beasts basilosaurus but with the "saurus" part turned all the way up to 11

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Flaffy

How accurate is that large indent in the tail paddle of PNSO's Tylosaurus?

For example, Safari's version has a pretty standard fluke. But the PNSO model just has this dramatic "chip" in it, a feature not present in their artwork of the genus. Wouldn't that dip lead to less water displacement and less muscle attachments to stiffen the fleshy fluke? Hopefully Dr. Admin avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum could give his expert opinion on this matter ^-^.

PNSO artwork:

Dromaenychus

Quote from: Sim on September 19, 2021, 06:06:19 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on September 17, 2021, 11:30:39 PM

It's dark gray, with a darker shade on the top. The paint is a little bit pearlescent. The bottom is creamy white.

Reuben03

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Maritimer

Psittacoraptor

The Tylosaurus figure looks so bland compared to the artwork :(

Bread

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on September 20, 2021, 01:21:26 PM
The Tylosaurus figure looks so bland compared to the artwork :(
Agreed, but you should be used to this by now with PNSO. Their artwork is always more colorful and different from their final figures. Not a bad thing, but definitely is a shame that we don't see these colors applied on their figures.

Medzo

I myself do think this is a bad thing. Not tragic of course but still bad. Like the lack of feathers from the T-Rexes head while all the artworks had included them. I don't like this discrepancy of design at all.

This telegrams for me that for this amount of money PNSO thinks we don't deserve these kind of details on a model. Not that in 2021 the technology would not be available to produce such items. Or they don't have it yet.

suspsy

I really do dislike the discrepancies between many of the toys and their accompanying artwork. If you don't want to put any feathers on your tyrannosaurids, that's fine, it's an ongoing debate, there is presently no right or wrong answer, but then don't include artwork where they do have feathers.

Same goes for coloration.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Flaffy on September 19, 2021, 11:43:53 PM
How accurate is that large indent in the tail paddle of PNSO's Tylosaurus?

For example, Safari's version has a pretty standard fluke. But the PNSO model just has this dramatic "chip" in it, a feature not present in their artwork of the genus. Wouldn't that dip lead to less water displacement and less muscle attachments to stiffen the fleshy fluke? Hopefully Dr. Admin avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum could give his expert opinion on this matter ^-^.

The notched caudal fin comes from a specimen referred to Prognathodon sp. So there is some evidence for it in one genus (presuming the soft tissue outline is actually entirely complete in that specimen) but, of course, not all mosasaurs were necessarily the same. Here's a key figure from the paper (Lindgren et al. 2013)

stargatedalek

That's also significantly more subtle than the notch PNSO has gone for here.

paleochris

Paleofiguras has published first photos in hand. I think this is the first time I've found the final product BETTER than the promotional photo at PNSO !!!!
There was a fear that it would be flat and boring, but in fact the texture and paint flare and tones are very nice! PNSO has a high standard of marine animal paint!

However, the only big negative is this huge visible seam on the body which ruins the figure, what a pity !

Lynx

Darn it! I was about to say how I'd buy this figure the second it releases- and then I see the seam line part.
Is there any way to cover it that y'all know of?
An oversized house cat.

Dusty Wren

Wow, you're not kidding, that is a ridiculously obtrusive seam line (link for those who don't have the energy to Google). I'm not normally bothered by seam lines, but it cuts right across the body of the figure. Looks like the kind of seam you get in cheap hollow vinyl figures.

To cover it, you'd have to fill it in with epoxy and then try to match the texture of the body and the color of the paint job, which would be tough. It also looks like the figure has that kind of shimmery finish that the Helicoprion has, so that's an added challenge.
Check out my customs thread!

Gwangi

For $38 dollars, with no articulated jaw and a hideously apparent seam line, I think this figure will have to be a pass. There's no excuse for that.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: