News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

as a guy who gets angry and rude over small paleo-media related issues all the time and has basically perfected the art of doing so,

ehh i wouldn't call it disgusting. you're the consumer, ur allowed to get mad lol

but yeah i don't mind it that much. it's just nice to see a good mosasaur in the age of "lets just rip of that one from Jurassic World, kids love spikes n scutes, right?"

that's just me. i wouldn't feel inclined to moan about something like a seam line, and especially not this one, but that's just me.

cool sculpt tho right??

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

WalkingWithBeasts

I really like the sculpt and the seam line doesn't bother me particularly I'm just happy PNSO continue to make such up-to-date and amazingly detailed figures. Can't wait to see what they do next.
Walking With Beasts is the best palaeo media documentary and no one can persuade me otherwise.

Faras

avatar_Bread @Bread You are most welcome :) Yeah nice sculpt, dynamic pose and thoughtful far outweigh small flaws for me so I'm pretty found of this Tylosaurus, though if I had to spend $40 maybe I'll be less tolerable :o

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek Price increased by 20-30yuan or $3-$5 in China, that's about one milk tea or quick lunch. Since skin details and sculpt got way better, majority wouldn't mind. If they do they can always wait for biweekly >20% sales.

From what I know, most expensive dino toys collectors in China are teenagers (PNSO is affordable with pocket money) and young adults (dinosaurs became popular since 90s). avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor Aye Chinese parents are usually very generous for educational stuffs. Dinosaur books for young children are very popular here, sadly this also made majority regard dinosaurs as childish. Collecting toys is "childish" too, so collecting dino toys "double childish". Making figures educational probably helps PNSO earn more from parents and those that need to justify their purchases :P

Lynx

I gotta agree. I think the majority of PNSO stuff is directed towards parents and educators.
(Note this message is old, I only managed to send it just now)
Edit: It floats? Oh man! Buying it 100%
It probably has a durable sculpt and paint because its made to be in water, so thats nice.
Edit 2: Thats cool to know! Thanks for sharing that info Faras.
An oversized house cat.

paleochris

I think I'll buy it too. The seam is horrible yes, but I think the overall quality of the figure wins.

Faras

avatar_Lynx @Lynx yw :) Tho it can't balance well in water, left side would float to top like shown in pic so need to tie it down. Hmm that reminds me, saw posts of old Spinosaurus in fish tanks without wear on paints after several months :o

Medzo

Quote from: Lynx on September 23, 2021, 06:33:56 PM
It probably has a durable sculpt and paint because its made to be in water, so thats nice.

I wouldn't count on that honestly. I think the floating has nothing to do with any intention to be playable or even stored in water, that's probably just a side-effect of the production.

Libraraptor

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 23, 2021, 01:17:52 PM
Charging more money to appeal to parents narcissistic qualities, hadn't even thought of that. Oof.
avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek I prompt you to refrain from writing toxic comments like these  C:-) If someone wants to buy a PNSO product,  they must not be judged upon.  Thank you.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 23, 2021, 04:11:01 PM
Charging more money to appeal to parents narcissistic qualities, hadn't even thought of that. Oof.
Seriously? So now not only are we judging the model and PNSO, but also parents who buy them and calling them narcissistic for doing so? That's so low and unnecessary!
It's one thing if you don't like the model or the company whatever, but there is no need to be judgmental about people who actually like the figure and parents who buy them.
It's comments like this that's really so toxic.

I'm sure there are many parents here who like and buy the PNSO figures that doesn't fit your label.
You don't know these people to judge them.

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 24, 2021, 02:30:56 PM
avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek I prompt you to refrain from writing toxic comments like these  C:-) If someone wants to buy a PNSO product,  they must not be judged upon.  Thank you.
That wasn't meant to be insulting people who buy the products. Narcissism is something heavily misunderstood and in proper amounts is a healthy part of a normal psyche. Coincidentally saw a very good video about this the other day, link below for anyone curious.

My apologies for not taking into account how poorly the term is normally used and just leaving it there with no further explanation or context. I should have known a short little statement like that would have been very easily misconstrued and thought more about that potential.

Spoiler
I was meaning to continue the discussion in regards to Psittacoraptors post that was above mine, and was discussing on the same line of speculation.

What I meant was that PNSO is trying to prey on people by charging more specifically in order to make their products look like higher status goods than they inherently are, it's a kind of false scarcity where they make a product look rarer by raising the price beyond what the product would typically cost rather than limit distribution. They are taking advantage of a consumers natural, healthy amount of narcissism, that everyone should have to be mentally sound, and I think it's worth calling that stuff out from companies. We call out Schleich and Papo for claiming their dinosaurs are educational, I was trying to call out PNSO for claiming their pvc, durable, nothing to write home about in terms of paint apps and quality control, and very distinctly toy dinosaurs are sci-art.

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on September 23, 2021, 01:03:54 PM
Maybe there are some financial benefits to making educational products in China? Just pure speculation on my part, but I've been wondering about this for a while. The discrepancy between making expensive (compared to Schleich, Collecta, Safari) scientific models, which are labeled "not suitable for children under 14" on the box, and the branding as educational toys might be explained this way. Schleich and the others are very clearly marketed towards children, just one look at their websites shows this. The way PNSO presents their products as "scientific art", as they call it, is completely different.

suspsy

As always, I think avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek is making some very salient arguments. And speaking as a parent myself, I was not offended by that one statement.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like I'm finished with PNSO, at least as far as this particular series is concerned. I think the only genus they could possibly reveal now that would make me sit up and feel the desire to buy it would be Zuul, and even then I'd wait to see if CollectA or Safari reveal their own version for next year. And I would definitely go with either of those versions instead, 'cause you know, price tag. Especially given that I just committed a heap of money to the BotM T. rex. Much more than I ever thought I'd spend on a dinosaur toy. Ah well.

Oh, and naturally, I'd also be enticed by the return of the miniatures. No one can dispute that those were definitely geared mainly towards kids.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Yeah there's so much potential for mini figures, especially small dinosaurs, and other non dinosaur animals, such as reptiles, mammals, etc. Like I think it would be interesting to see them make a Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Psittacosaurus, and many more in that format.

Edit: That said, I am thoroughly pleased with how many neglected genera PNSO has given us in these few short years! We saw new up to date models for Lambeosaurus, Corythosaurus, Atopodentatus, Tuojiangosaurus, Miragaia, Sinoceratops, Pinacosaurus, Helicoprion, Tarbosaurus, Torvosaurus, (give or take Dunkleosteus), and finally Olorotitan, all in the span of two short years. Previously all of these were either missing up to date models, medium-large models, plastic models, and/or all of the above. Never mind all the obscure, or perhaps even popular and/or semi requested species that showed up in their mini line years prior.

I however still lament about the increased costs for many of these. I do agree with others that I would like to see quality, and not quantity going forward, and releases slowed down. That isn't to say most of these are not decent, but with their increased costs (at the very least for the international market via Amazon and Aliexpress), and yet have cost cutting measures applied (lack of paint detail, highly visible seam lines), it truly makes me wish for a few releases at a time. It would also be vastly easier for many folks to keep up with as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

As a parent I also was not offended by, nor felt judged by, Stargatedalek's comment. On the contrary, I always look forward to and value her thoughts and opinions.

Also, avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek, I'm excited to see you linking a Lindsay Ellis video. That one has been on my watchlist for awhile now but I haven't gotten to it yet, now I feel some additional motivation to watch it.

stargatedalek

Thank you both, I definitely should have been clearer, but that is very reassuring that I didn't completely misstep.

I have good news regarding the minis by the way, it seems rumours of their cancelling may have been premature and some retailers are restocking them again!

Bread

My apologies avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek.
Thank you for the explanation as it really did add more context. Yes you are correct that narcissim is heavily taken out of context when further information is not backed up with it. Even I am unaware of its potential to cause a misunderstanding.

I do agree that prices are rising when the product quality is staying the same. I still fully believe and stand by the matter that PNSO newer products are still beautiful and eye catching. Only drawback I have so far is the prices.

Libraraptor

Thank you avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek . Your additional information helped me and probably others to understand better what you meant and that you were not trying to insult anyone.

And now let us all continue in a fair and pleasant manner ;)

Kapitaenosavrvs

Again, thank you avatar_Faras @Faras for all the information, translation, pictures and inside views on the chinese Market and behavior. This is not only informative and fun, but also helpful to communicate (design) choices of a Chinese Company better. Thank you very much.

Faras

Maritimer

An accident (no damage, fortunately!) with my PNSO Allosaurus the other day led to an observation . . .

I bumped into the Allo's tail, knocking it into a bucket of water that I was adding to my aquarium. The aquarium uses deep blue and ultraviolet lights to bring out biofluorescent pigments in the corals, and as I lifted the dinosaur from the bucket, his neck and tail glowed with a vibrant hot pink tone!

It seems that PNSO sometimes uses fluorescent pigments on their models - and for all I know other companies may do so as well. I saw similar glows in the Lambeosaurus, Parasaurolophus and surprisingly, the Sinoceratops, whose body glows with a brilliant pink color under the blue lights. The brown markings on the Corythosaurus produced a darker, deep red glow. Other models, such as Giganotosaurus and Stegosaurus (any of the three!) produced no glow at all.

Sadly, the camera on my phone failed pretty miserably to pick these colors up - but I thought it might offer a new way to look at your collections!

~B.

GiganotosaurusFan

I think that PNSO makes their models imperfect because they need to leave space to improve. Basically a marketing issue. Still, hoping that the next few models really knock the ball out of the park, because they are really disappointing a lot of people in the forum and their "marketing" strategy is seriously backfiring.
Like: Wilson doesn't have lips and those corn-cob scales...
Andrea's prone position seems flawed,
Chuanzi(nice model) seems too thic
Evan um....
Torvosaurus and Mamenchisaurus were both too sloppy,
And much much more....
avatar_Maritimer @Maritimer that was really interesting to see that the PNSO models use florescent paint. I think it might be unintentional, because some glow differently than others and some don't even have a glow.
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: