News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Yup, there's plenty of positive aspects to celebrate.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on October 14, 2021, 10:04:52 AM
In-hand photos of the Himalayasaurus: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7575283184

nice, thanks. The whole time the Figure reminded me of something else. It is the Sand Tiger (Carcharias taurus). Not completely of course. But this popped up.

I am not very familliar with Ichthyosaurs in Detail. I always wondered, why almost all reconstructions of Ichthyosaurs have this spearfish like, wrapped Head. Yes, there has been Softtissuestuff. But again, i almost have no idea in these Animals. A question is, why should all of them should have such a Head design. Soft tissue wise. Whales are of course something completely different, but we also see a lot of variations in Soft tissue around the Head. There is Evidence of Blubber in Ichtyosaurs (I just read up a few Infos to maybe clear if my question was already answered).

bmathison1972

Oh my, I will be getting that Livyatan (well, unless Safari and/or CollectA release one too, then I'll have to decide which I like the best).

Medzo

Quote from: paleochris on October 14, 2021, 11:37:54 AM
the last 3 babies of PNSO (source: tieba) honestly the more time goes by and the more I see pictures of the figures, and the less importance I give to the seams. Let's be honest, they are beautiful marine animals models, they remain largely above the other brands, the seams are balanced by a beautiful quality of painting and a very realistic sculpture! They will be on my shelves without hesitation

Haha, not mean this as anything offensive, but as a new member I'm starting to realize the forum tendency here. The more days spent without any new figures, everybody declares how it should stop and their wallets have been destroyed enough etc... then a figure comes out and everybody instantly goes nuts, like that would be the only thing which have been missing from their collection. And we slowly convince ourselves that the mistakes on the models are actually not that bad.

Anyway, that's real dedication!  O:-)

SidB

Sometimes 'excellent' isn't  going to happen anytime soon. Then the adage 'excellent is the enemy of good enough comes into play.' Until the next release of the critter, anyways.

Leyster

Seriously? Unpainted teeth in a 40+ $ figure?
http://tieba.baidu.com/photo/p?kw=%E6%81%90%E9%BE%99%E6%A8%A1%E5%9E%8B&flux=1&tid=7575283184&pic_id=5a785963f6246b6046042398aef81a4c500fa242&pn=1&fp=2&see_lz=1&red_tag=y3311805035

Visible seams, unpainted details... imho PNSO is becoming a little too much confident in people buying their products.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Reuben03

Quote from: Leyster on October 16, 2021, 12:56:27 PM
http://tieba.baidu.com/photo/p?kw=%E6%81%90%E9%BE%99%E6%A8%A1%E5%9E%8B&flux=1&tid=7575283184&pic_id=5a785963f6246b6046042398aef81a4c500fa242&pn=1&fp=2&see_lz=1&red_tag=y3311805035

Visible seams, unpainted details... imho PNSO is becoming a little too much confident in people buying their products.

damnn that's terrible. this cannot be the final thing surely? 

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Leyster

Quote from: Reuben03 on October 16, 2021, 01:52:37 PM

It is, those are the photos of an user who bought it.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Reuben03

Quote from: Leyster on October 16, 2021, 02:19:11 PM
Quote from: Reuben03 on October 16, 2021, 01:52:37 PM

It is, those are the photos of an user who bought it.

what??? thats crazy.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Bread

Yeah the unpainted teeth are the downfall of this figure. I can live with the seamlines but I am not very good with painting so I'd rather not have to touchup on teeth.

Chasmosaurus

Each figure has its positive and negative points.
I don't find that the line or the bad application of the paint is a real problem. It does not take away from the quality of the sculpture.

What I find abusive is the price asked for figures with a lower quality than the one produced six months ago. They are more expensive than the tuojiangosaurus or the miragaia and as expensive as the carnotaurus which doesn't have this kind of defects.

So either the plastic has become so expensive that the brands inflate their prices.
Or PNSO abuse their reputation to sell at any price.
Or they have financial difficulties and they need money quickly.

Between the crisis of Covid, the crisis of transport and the crisis of materials it has become difficult to be profitable.

The livyatan and himalayasaurus are interesting but from my point of view they are not worth more than 25$ or 30$.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Concavenator

As much as I love PNSO's figures myself, I'm starting to agree with some of the comments here... Now, I'm not going to declare that I'm done with them or anything that extreme, but there are some issues to talk about.

Basically the prices and the quality of the figures. Now it seems that 38.99 $ is the average price of PNSO's figures from the standard line, with bigger figures priced at 42.99 $ and smaller figures like the Pachycephalosaurus and juvenile Tyrannosaurus at 30.99 $. If we completely forget about the prices and solely focus on the figures, I'm a big fan of them. But that doesn't mean that I'm not aware of some of their issues.

So, one of the features of some of PNSO's most recent figures is the lack of a movable jaw. That's fine by me, although if they don't include it, the production costs of the figures have to be lower, meaning they could perfectly lower the prices, which they aren't doing. The seams and the unpainted parts are more annoying for me. These aren't too terrible by themselves, and don't ruin the figure imo, but if we also consider the lack of movable jaw of some figures and the unaltered prices, it's more than evident now that they're trying to see for how long they can keep doing this with people still buying their figures.

To illustrate my point, on Dan's Dinosaurs, the Eofauna Diplodocus is priced at 39,99 $ whilst the PNSO Himalayasaurus is priced at 38,99 $. And the Lyviatan, at 42,99 $, is more expensive than the Dippy! These are facts that speak for themselves. And saying that the increased prices are due to the pandemic situation and increased plastic price looks like a mere excuse to me. Last year we were also under this damned pandemic and in a worse situation than now, yet the figures they were releasing were noticeably more affordable. If their Lambeosaurus (released in october 2020, priced at 22,99 $) was to be released now instead of last year, what price do you think it would have: 22,99 $ or 38,99 $ (the price of the Olorotitan?

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator I fully agree, the comparison with the Eofauna Diplodocus crossed my mind too.

SidB

The comparison of quality at the 38.99/39.99  price point is striking. It shows the real value of the Eufauna product. Not that the PNSO is poor, but it's starting to suffer in comparison. My way of dealing with the situation is to only buy their terrestrials and not the marine reptiles. If I had committed to the latter, I'd be annoyed too. There may be some entirely legitimate reasons for the PNSO  situation, and I'm not going to panic or throw up my hands in despair; however, hopefully this is not a case of complacency or simply testing what the market will bear. My guess is that it's more likely to be a case of what used to be known as 'victory disease.'  I'd say that the competitors need to step up and offer some serious competition. We'll see what Safari, Papo and CollectA will be offering, sooner rather than later, I hope.

Bread

The numerous PNSO threads have this discussion whether quality and price match, and I even think this thread has had this discussion about four times by now. This is not a nitpick with the thread(s) but it just goes to show that this is a continuous thing with some PNSO products lately.

Hopefully avatar_Faras @Faras can provide us with more details about this new figure. I am really curious to why there are such errors in this figure.

Faras

Seems I'm a bit late for discussion, placing stuffs in shelves took longer than expected, sorry! o_O

Received Himalayasaurus earlier today, gotta say it's the least impressive of the three (badly wrapped flippers didn't help, easy fix luckily): less details cause of closed mouth, generic swimming pose (while Tylosaurus is very dynamic, Livyatan feels powerful), seams feel slightly worse close up cause light colour and smooth.

Length along curves: 32.8cm, 1:35 11.4m individual (seems they've learnt to write it's a 1:35 dwarf instead of 1:45 normal individual to escape ire ;))

Teeth are painted on mine, problem is it's light grey so at first glace it feels like they have same colour as the head, but when I look carefully I can see faint hints of white. Normally they'd paint teeth after finishing head which often means white lips; seems this time they painted teeth before doing head, so some greys ended up on teeth. Eyes are a bit toy-ish. There's same sheen as Helicoprion on grey parts.

Like Livyatan, seams are worse on right side:

Still looking quite graceful and lifelike on display, tho I'd say grab Tylosaurus and Livyatan first. Luckily I managed to stack coupons and got it cheaper than Tylosaurus, so no regret :)

Hmm I'm starting to like hollow figure, their paint take less fall damage and far easier balancing them out on action figure bases (would probably need second rod for Himalayasaurus and bigger counterweight for Livyatan if they were heavier). Seems hollow figures tend to have less "flow lines" (PNSO beluga whale in pic), tbh these random lines bug me more than seams... have awful lots on my Dunkleosteus, Olorotitan, Corythosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Cacharodotonsaurus, new Mamenchisaurus etc...

Shonisaurus

You give my congratulations on your new acquisition, it is a very beautiful figure. Thank you for specifying that this figure is hollow, the details are good but there are other prehistoric marine animals such as the atopodentatus that are honestly better than the himalayasaurus.

Faras

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 17, 2021, 09:10:16 AM
You give my congratulations on your new acquisition, it is a very beautiful figure. Thank you for specifying that this figure is hollow, the details are good but there are other prehistoric marine animals such as the atopodentatus that are honestly better than the himalayasaurus.

Thank you! :) Seems "beheading seams" means the figure is hollow (tho they also stated it on Chinese store pages), and yeah wouldn't put this Himalayasaurus high on priority list myself.

Faras

Hmm btw, Nanmu's mainland China prices increased by 15-18% since 28th Sept due to material shortage (maybe also electricity shortage since Sept, which mainly affects industry). iirc PNSO started to release hollow figures and use foam packing around late Sept, guess they chose to cut costs instead of raising prices ???

Dinoxels

PNSO started off in late 2020 as really epic with only 1 or 2 figures looking kind of odd. Then the spring and summer waves came and they were either awesome or just very strange. Now it's just overpriced poorly painted hollow things. Hot take, I know. Just wanted to share my view.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: