News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I forgot to say, I'm happy PNSO is making plastic models again! :D

Eocarcharia

Looks pretty good, but cheekless Ceratopsids still weird me out a little.

Flaffy

I mean, AMNH 5116 may very well be a Torosaurus. And in my opinion, it definitely resembles Torosaurus more than any of the named Triceratops species. I personally will be using the PNSO as a Torosaurus in my display, those long horns are true to the specimen in question.

Notice how the frill of AMNH 5116 is has large portions missing, and just so happens the chunk that would've neatly determined if it was Torosaurus or Triceratops is missing (i.e. the presence of parietal fenestrae). The mount in the museum is fills in the gaps with plaster, and it seems that PNSO followed suit with their AMNH 5116 skull. It's weird how a T. horridus skeletal is used in the booklet, when the taxonomic placement of AMNH 5116 is still technically up for debate.

Skull chart by @fadeno_paleoart. AMNH 5116 on the upper right, frill reconstructed after T. latus.

Not unnoticeable amounts of plaster on this one; also AMNH 5116, the specimen.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thanks for sharing this info. I guess since it is up in the air if this is a Torosaurus or not, I suppose it works well to stand in as one anyways for folks that desire one. Honestly I thought to mention earlier it also resembles Torosaurus to me, but decided not to as I have a rather poor understanding on the differences between the two atm. This does help clear up some of it though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on December 09, 2021, 01:54:00 AM
avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thanks for sharing this info. I guess since it is up in the air if this is a Torosaurus or not, I suppose it works well to stand in as one anyways for folks that desire one. Honestly I thought to mention earlier it also resembles Torosaurus to me, but decided not to as I have a rather poor understanding on the differences between the two atm. This does help clear up some of it though.

You're welcome! And yeah, as with the PNSO Allosaurus, this figure can be displayed as either or depending on the collector's preferences. I guess that's the charm of PNSO choosing dubious specimens to base their figures on? ;)

As for differences between the two genus, here are a few quick ones that come to mind:
- Torosaurus has parietal fenestrae, Triceratops has a solid frill.
- The epinasal on mature Torosaurus forms a laterally compressed boss, while both Triceratops species keeps their nasal horns well into maturity
- Frill morphology, Torosaurus frills are thin and elongate, while Triceratops frills are thick and compact.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the most obvious ones I can think of rn.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thanks for the run down. I think once I regain interest in that dinosaur project again (still feeling burned out), I'll have a much better understanding, but this helps for the meantime.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Eocarcharia on December 08, 2021, 10:39:57 PM
Looks pretty good, but cheekless Ceratopsids still weird me out a little.

Yeah I don't care for them either. But at least with the poseable jaw you can close the mouth.

Bread

Hmm.... seems like PNSO like to do the "hybrid" option. Basically combining specimens for one genus or species capable to have multiple representations. For example, their Nanotyrannus/Juvinile rex and like mentioned above their Allosaurus. I think its safe to assume PNSO won't release a Torosaurus and this will just be down to collectors choice on what this figure represents.

ZoPteryx

Looks really nice!  I didn't think I needed another Trike, but I may have to make an exception.  And I agree with Gwangi, definitely a Charles R. Knight vibe going on.  The horns are certainly rather long, but that could just be some keratin extensions.  Other than that I don't see any major anatomical flaws.

Quote from: Faelrin on December 08, 2021, 04:08:57 PM
A little confused about the jaw however. Is the consensus that it has cheeks again or is this correct? If I recall correctly the Eofauna ones took a similar approach to this right?

I don't think there's any consensus right now, cheeks or no cheeks.  This figure faithfully depicts the bulked up jaw musculature suggested by the latest research.  Personally, I think it's likely most ornithischians had more extensive cheeks, considering what we know about ankylosaur facial armor and cerapod chewing/slicing mechanics.

Also is it correct for the fourth and fifth digit on the manus to be so low? I can't help but feel the manus looks a little elephantine like. I know the fourth and fifth digits on the Safari Ltd and BotM ones are raised up, hence why I'm wondering. Give or take the new CollectA one as well.

They do indeed look a little low.  Tracks seem to indicate they did regularly contact the ground, at least in muddy conditions, but they weren't weight bearing, which these sort of seem to be.  At least PNSO eliminated that fleshy pad on the "palm" that's present in their other ceratopsids, no such feature is present in trackways.

Sturisoma

Hello. I am "new" to this forum. I've visited this site as a mere visitor just to peek at discussions on Nanmu, Rebor, and PNSO figures, but I'm a new member as I just made an account to share something, so I apologize if I post wrongly.

I am from the Philippines, and for the past few days, we have been experiencing an "infestation" (a very welcome one!) of Doyle trikes with and without bases that come really cheap. Php100 for just the trike (less than USD1 I think), and Php150 with the base. No box and poster. Can't buy just the base. Then the news came out that there will be a new sculpt for Doyle. I think PNSO needs space for the new sculpt   :D  .

I have not yet gotten my own as I have not yet stepped out of my house since the start of the pandemic. I am not sure if they are ver. 1 or ver. 2 of Doyle, but from the photos taken, they look legit having the PNSO logo.

Just wanted to share this curious happening in this part of the world. I apologize but I cannot post the photos. I do not understand how to attach them here. The "insert image" does not open up the file folders. For those who would like to see photos of the infestation, my fb group is called Dinosaur Collectors Philippines.

Sturisoma

Here are the photos from my fellow local collectors! Just needed to attach links of the photos, not upload from my computer folders  :)) I apologize for the double post.

Faras

avatar_Sturisoma @w00dpiller Welcome aboard! :)

hmm I bought Doyle in May 2021, stamps on the base is crystal clear despite years of wears on the moulds:

Signatures on the figure seems slightly better too:

imho the base is defo bootleg. Genuine ones without package (leaked into market during bankruptcy chaos) go for about 6-10 USD in China, so judging from the price the figure is probably bootleg as well :)

Faras

There, Chinese store page of new Triceratops: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.49.73697484Yd3Ngc&id=654840718020

China mainland release date: 0:00am 12th Dec., +8GMT. Official price is same as Kronosaurus, so global price is probably 59.99 USD (btw there will be Taobao/Ali sales during 12-14th).

Stuffs in box:
1:35 Doyle the Triceratops (24.7cm x 6.3cm x 10cm),
1:35 Triceratops skull (8cm x 4.8cm x 5cm),
Package box aka exhibition base.
sci-art posters 42 x 29.7cm (A3) 10 pcs, 29.7 x 21cm (A4) 10pcs,
paint cards for children 29.7 x 21cm (A4) 7pcs,
exhibition labels: sci-art exhibition labels 12.7 x 8.9cm 18 pcs, creative exhibition labels for children 12.7 x 8.9cm 8pcs.
Scan QR code - Doyle the Triceratops sci-art figure creation story vid, draw Doyle the Triceratops with Zhao Chuang vid x7.
Exhibition manual.

They certainly will offer cards with English in box and post a video on YouTube soon, so I'll slack this time :p
(Titles on labels: Doyle the Triceratops' size, discovery, head, skull, frill, Titanoceratops' parietal fenestrae, Doyle the Triceratops' horns, growth of Doyle the Triceratops' frill and horns)

Spoiler

[close]

Antey

Meanwhile, in the PNSO store on Aliexpress, the previous version of Doyle is being sold at a big discount. But he's good too. So I think what to buy? The old one allows you to save a lot.

Thialfi

I see PNSO has a sale again on their AliExpress store. I thought their sale would be 12-14 December, but this one seems to run for only one more day..

Bread

Quote from: Antey on December 09, 2021, 11:53:41 AM
Meanwhile, in the PNSO store on Aliexpress, the previous version of Doyle is being sold at a big discount. But he's good too. So I think what to buy? The old one allows you to save a lot.
Also, for anyone curious the price is $36. That is indeed a big discount as Antey said.

Patrx

AMNH 5116 is probably favorite-ever individual dinosaur, so whether it's Triceratops or Torosaurus, I feel pretty much obligated to buy this beautiful thing.

Gwangi

I'm feeling a lot of love for this Trike (or Toro). I seldom spend as much on a figure as what this one commands but its got a lot going for it. I have a lot of love for the specimen it is based on, it's modern with a retro feel to it, and although I don't count it among my favorite dinosaurs anymore Triceratops was my favorite for most of my childhood. Feeling a bit like Alan Grant right now. The CollectA Trike may cost half the price but it doesn't hit me like this one does.

SidB

Dan's Dinosaurs is taking pre-orders for the new Doyle for $49.99 USD.

suspsy

FWIW, ceratopsians expert Jim Kirkland had this to say about Doyle:

Not a fan of the mouth, a bit too extreme.

I wonder if all PNSO ceratopsians will have hinged jaws from now on. I'd kinda prefer not.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: