News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eocarcharia

Well, I'm on board for the whole line, and pretty much all the new dinos. Particularly Acrocanthosaurus and Ceratosaurus, my favorites.

Also, I'm surprised nobody posted the concept art here.

Featuring a look at a potential future hadrosaur.

Here's a few additional tidbits from the comments on Facebook:
- Allosaurus jimmadseni is planned for BotM
- Prototypes expected to be ready by San Diego Comic-Con in July
- Crowdfunding likely to take place next year

Blade-of-the-Moon

I love the Neo-DinoRiders esthetic. That might work for me well. If he could sneak some "mutant" natural beings in there to partner with the dragons side that would work nicely indeed..   Also we have one enemy dragon so far? The Arctic?  Gonna need a full roster of those to combat the dinos too right?

Flaffy

Quote from: Eocarcharia on March 11, 2022, 08:54:50 PM

Hopefully this is just a result of rough photobashing, and not an indication of things to come....

Shadowknight1

Allosaurus AND Acrocanthosaurus?  My poor wallet...
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on March 12, 2022, 03:33:19 AM
Quote from: Eocarcharia on March 11, 2022, 08:54:50 PM

Hopefully this is just a result of rough photobashing, and not an indication of things to come....

Triceratops is already made, it's just a repaint. So I doubt that concept art is a sculpt indicator.

suspsy

I'm puzzled that Ankylosaurus isn't part of the initial lineup.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Quote from: suspsy on March 12, 2022, 04:54:36 AM

Same here. It's the most popular and well known Ankylosaur. JWD and CC will certainly give the genus a popularity boost this year as well.

Speaking of Ankylosaurs, I wonder how David will go about sharing parts for these dinosaurs. Ankylosaur osteoderm count and placement, along with body morphology varied significantly between species, so the only way to stay true to it's anatomy is to make separate bodies for each and every one of them. I wonder if David is willing to commit to such a daunting task.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on March 12, 2022, 01:48:03 PM

Same here. It's the most popular and well known Ankylosaur. JWD and CC will certainly give the genus a popularity boost this year as well.

Speaking of Ankylosaurs, I wonder how David will go about sharing parts for these dinosaurs. Ankylosaur osteoderm count and placement, along with body morphology varied significantly between species, so the only way to stay true to it's anatomy is to make separate bodies for each and every one of them. I wonder if David is willing to commit to such a daunting task.

Wouldn't just about ever species on that list need unique parts?  They just aren't  close enough to each other to share them.  Maybe David is finally at that point he doesn't have to share as many pieces?

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 12, 2022, 04:13:15 PM

Wouldn't just about ever species on that list need unique parts?  They just aren't  close enough to each other to share them.  Maybe David is finally at that point he doesn't have to share as many pieces?

More so in the sense that it'll be increasingly difficult for ankylosaurs especially to share parts with future species. Same goes for Stegosaurs too the more I think about it with plate shape & arrangements. For theropods however it's definitely going to be easy on parts sharing.

For example:
Utahraptor and Achillobator have the exact same bodies. Dakotaraptor could certainly use that body mould too.
Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus can easily share most body parts; and many other theropods in that size range could utilise those parts as well.
Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus and Carnotaurus bodies could be shared with future allosauroids, megalosaurids, Ceratosaurs and Abelisaurs.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on March 12, 2022, 04:22:57 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 12, 2022, 04:13:15 PM

More so in the sense that it'll be increasingly difficult for ankylosaurs especially to share parts with future species. Same goes for Stegosaurs too the more I think about it with plate shape & arrangements. For theropods however it's definitely going to be easy on parts sharing.

For example:
Utahraptor and Achillobator have the exact same bodies. Dakotaraptor could certainly use that body mould too.
Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus can easily share most body parts; and many other theropods in that size range could utilise those parts as well.
Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus and Carnotaurus bodies could be shared with future allosauroids, megalosaurids, Ceratosaurs and Abelisaurs.

Future pieces perhaps. But it's still a dramatic shift from the past lines where many figures shared pieces.

suspsy

An Ankylosaurus wouldn't be able to share any body parts with other species due to its size, but then neither can the planned Stegosaurus.

Pliosaurking

I'm most excited for the ceratosaurus and acrocanthosaurus

Dinoguy2

Ankylosaurus might be a more well known name but I bet your average buyer of this line wouldn't be able to pick it out of a lineup unless they use the retro appearance, like Jurassic Park franchise did. I think it's smart to use spikier species.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Concavenator

I'll keep an eye out for the Utahraptor, Dilophosaurus (which hopefully will be based on the 2020 reconstruction) and Pachycephalosaurus. Allosaurus is my favorite dinosaur, but I already have the Safari, so in my case I don't think getting another one is worth it. Had it been A.jimmadseni, I would consider it. IIRC David said the Utahraptor will also be released under BotM, so I'm assuming the rest will, too.

Also, I know this isn't the most adequate place to ask, but anyone knows if the general release for the BotM figures takes place after Kickstarter backers receive the figures? How was this in the ceratopsians' case? I asked David but he didn't answer, I imagine he's too  busy at the moment.

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 12, 2022, 09:33:10 PM
Ankylosaurus might be a more well known name but I bet your average buyer of this line wouldn't be able to pick it out of a lineup unless they use the retro appearance, like Jurassic Park franchise did. I think it's smart to use spikier species.

To that I would respond that I reckon the overwhelming majority if not the entirety of BotM collectors are strong proponents of scientific accuracy who are indeed capable of recognizing a real Ankylosaurus when they see one. I think it may be more a question of wanting to include smaller figures in the lineup. Edmontonia and Sauropelta are nearly as massive as the big guy.

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on March 13, 2022, 01:54:10 AMTo that I would respond that I reckon the overwhelming majority if not the entirety of BotM collectors are strong proponents of scientific accuracy
Can confirm otherwise. These have very broad appeal, we even get them in the Diamond previews.

indohyus

Quote from: Concavenator on March 12, 2022, 11:41:00 PM

Also, I know this isn't the most adequate place to ask, but anyone knows if the general release for the BotM figures takes place after Kickstarter backers receive the figures? How was this in the ceratopsians' case? I asked David but he didn't answer, I imagine he's too  busy at the moment.

Not always immediately after, but did seem like it wasn't long after the kickstarters were sent that they were available at mass retail. Think it varies and they probably want kickstarters covered before mass manufacture.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 13, 2022, 04:44:58 AM
Quote from: suspsy on March 13, 2022, 01:54:10 AMTo that I would respond that I reckon the overwhelming majority if not the entirety of BotM collectors are strong proponents of scientific accuracy
Can confirm otherwise. These have very broad appeal, we even get them in the Diamond previews.

Yeah, I have a really hard time believing this line would be as successful as it has been if it's only dinosaur fans rather than general action figure collectors supporting it. Cyberzoic in particular seems targeted as much or more towards DinoRiders nostalgia as it is dinosaur collectors.

That being said, size probably has a lot to do with it too. I almost wish they were going with a smaller scale, like DinoRiders, to make the big, flashy species more affordable. A 3.75" action figure line is going to be both a lot more expensive and take up more room. AND the actual human action figures, which will be part of the draw, will be pretty expensive I imagine too compared to DR style 2" figures. Star Wars and ReAction are really the only 3.75" figure lines that still exist and they're around $15-$20 per figure!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

I still don't buy the notion that an accurate Ankylosaurus would be less popular than a retro one with collectors.Even without sharp spikes, it's still a walking mass of armour with a bigger tail club than any other species. And sure, Cyberzoic is definitely tapping into DR nostalgia, but it's clearly not straying from the BotM core principle of accuracy (or as close to it as possible). The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the main reason for the omission was the animal's size.

Psittacoraptor

Everyone asking for Ankylosaurus and I'm disappointed to see Borealopelta is not on the list. :'( I'm mostly interested in the two dromaesaurs and the stegosaurs.

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 11, 2022, 12:56:07 AM
Quote from: Psittacoraptor on March 10, 2022, 09:01:44 PMNot sure if I like the vulture-like feathering with the naked head, maybe it will grow on me. It's interesting, though, and it's always good to see different interpretations!
I hope they go for a turkey look with display colours/patterns instead of just red or grey.
I'm personally hoping for King Vulture colours. Black & white feathers + flashy bald head:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Sarcoramphus_papa_(K%C3%B6nigsgeier_-_King_Vulture)_-_Weltvogelpark_Walsrode_2013-01.jpg

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: