News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor I also would have liked to see Borealopelta. But perhaps someday it will get a figure. It's so iconic now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Borealopelta would've been nice, yeah. So would Gigantspinosaurus in place of Miragaia.

I wonder how expensive the Acrocanthosaurus and Stegosaurus will end up being. For that matter, I wonder how much more expensive the Cyberzoic T. rex and Triceratops will be than their BotM counterparts. I'm guessing all the armour will add on at least around $75 more.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

Quote from: suspsy on March 12, 2022, 05:27:13 PM
An Ankylosaurus wouldn't be able to share any body parts with other species due to its size, but then neither can the planned Stegosaurus.
All the individual parts that make up the figures are 3D printed.In the case of the ceratopsians,not only do the 1/18 scale Styracosaurus and Medusaceratops share the same front and back feet,but those same feet sculpts are printed at a larger size for the 1/18 scale Triceratops and Torosaurus and at a smaller size for the 1/35 version of Triceratops.
I would not be surprised to see some of the same parts used at different sizes for these new Cyberzoic series ones too (Allosaurus,Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus sharing the same hind feet sculpts,but sized properly for their species).In much the same way,I can easily see an Ankyolosaurus sharing feet with a Euoplocephalus regardless of size differences.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on March 14, 2022, 02:14:13 AM
I still don't buy the notion that an accurate Ankylosaurus would be less popular than a retro one with collectors.Even without sharp spikes, it's still a walking mass of armour with a bigger tail club than any other species. And sure, Cyberzoic is definitely tapping into DR nostalgia, but it's clearly not straying from the BotM core principle of accuracy (or as close to it as possible). The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the main reason for the omission was the animal's size.

I mean, sure. But a walking mass of armor is always going to be less cool than a walking mass of armor with spikes.

Maybe they could design the armor to give it retro spikes 😃
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 15, 2022, 02:58:31 PM
Quote from: suspsy on March 14, 2022, 02:14:13 AM
I still don't buy the notion that an accurate Ankylosaurus would be less popular than a retro one with collectors.Even without sharp spikes, it's still a walking mass of armour with a bigger tail club than any other species. And sure, Cyberzoic is definitely tapping into DR nostalgia, but it's clearly not straying from the BotM core principle of accuracy (or as close to it as possible). The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the main reason for the omission was the animal's size.

I mean, sure. But a walking mass of armor is always going to be less cool than a walking mass of armor with spikes.

Maybe they could design the armor to give it retro spikes 😃

I like that idea. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed by the apparent lack of melee weaponry in the concept artwork. Laser cannons are all good, but I'd like to see spikes, blades, pincher claws, chainsaws, and hammers on these beasts.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioIt's Cyberzoic Friday! Each Friday, we'll be delving into this new world with 'first-looks' at the toy designs, characters, creatures, and environments of this new world, as well as learning more about the story and mythos. Today we take a look at the concept design for one of the first planned action figure releases- the Technologist Clan Utahraptor! This will be a deluxe release, which uses specially-designed armor with an alternate configuration into a vehicle mode for the pilot!

'The Utahraptors comprise the core ground infantry for the Technologist Clan. With their speed, artillery range, and vast numbers, these armored Dromaeosaurs will often take down their opponents with ease. Their specialized pilots can also temporarily split the armor for an air attack, to take on additional threats.'

Stay tuned for progress on the development of this figure set, which is planned for release in 2023. Action figure concept art by Ross Persichetti.

paintingdinos

Oh boy.... I feel the Zoids nostalgia coming on. Very cool looking so far.

Concavenator

Don't know if I understood correctly...but will the species from that list also be released under Beasts of the Mesozoic, Cyberzoic aside? I assumed that will be the case, but would like to confirm it.

suspsy

This is quite the ambitious project!

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Concavenator on March 18, 2022, 11:34:17 PM
Don't know if I understood correctly...but will the species from that list also be released under Beasts of the Mesozoic, Cyberzoic aside? I assumed that will be the case, but would like to confirm it.
Yes, I believe I read in one of the recent posts or comments from David that all the new species in Cyberzoic will have BotM versions released later.

suspsy

Quote from: Eocarcharia on March 19, 2022, 01:34:34 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on March 18, 2022, 11:34:17 PM
Yes, I believe I read in one of the recent posts or comments from David that all the new species in Cyberzoic will have BotM versions released later.

I wonder if that was a safe idea, announcing that they will eventually be in BotM. As intriguing as I find Cyberzoic, I have to admit that I'd rather get a stand-alone Utahraptor or Pachycephalosaurus or Edmontonia than one with armour and a human figure that causes it to be more expensive and occupy more shelf space.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: suspsy on March 19, 2022, 11:54:19 AM
I wonder if that was a safe idea, announcing that they will eventually be in BotM. As intriguing as I find Cyberzoic, I have to admit that I'd rather get a stand-alone Utahraptor or Pachycephalosaurus or Edmontonia than one with armour and a human figure that causes it to be more expensive and occupy more shelf space.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. David's trying to generate a fanbase for a toy line that doesn't tie in to an existing movie or comic book franchise. And BotM figures require a pretty hefty commitment of both money and physical shelf space, since they're so big. I don't know much about the existing fandoms for things like Zoids and Dino-Riders. Would those fans be willing to jump into a new line of toys that isn't directly connected to their series?
Check out my customs thread!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Dusty Wren on March 19, 2022, 12:50:41 PM
Quote from: suspsy on March 19, 2022, 11:54:19 AM

I'm interested to see how this plays out. David's trying to generate a fanbase for a toy line that doesn't tie in to an existing movie or comic book franchise. And BotM figures require a pretty hefty commitment of both money and physical shelf space, since they're so big. I don't know much about the existing fandoms for things like Zoids and Dino-Riders. Would those fans be willing to jump into a new line of toys that isn't directly connected to their series?

Yes, I think I mentioned before I am not sure why this is a 1/18 scale line. It seems like most of the first set will not be re-uses of existing BotM molds except maybe the preview figures, so no cost savings there. They already have smaller scale figures in the raptor and tyrannosaur lines that could be repurposed. People would be much more likely to buy into the line and collect them all if they were smaller and cost less.

Even more of an odd choice considering that the main inspiration, Zoids / DinoRiders, were much smaller scale. (I guess the DR dinosaurs were usually around about the 1/18 zone but obviously the figures / gear were scaled smaller. There's no way a line like that could be cost effective in the modern economy). They understood that if the focus is on the beasts/vehicles, you need small scale.

I know David is probably just a really big fan of 3.75" having worked on toy lines like Star Wars in the past, but even Hasbro has a abandoned that scale in favor of 2" figures and medium to large vehicles for their vehicle focused line.

All that being said, as to your second question, I'm a pretty casual DinoRiders fan and I had little interest in this line until the recent previews, and now I think I'm going to at least buy a few of these sets. I don't think any hardcore DR fan will be able to resist this. It's modern DR in all but name, something people have been clamoring for for decades. The nostalgia is just too strong. This will probably be very popular with fans of 80s toys. The only way David could make it MORE appealing is if the rival (dragon?) side came with figures of reptilian humanoid aliens  :))
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Faelrin

I mean this is also compatible with the Mattel Jurassic World line more or less since the humans are also scaled to 3.75". There's at least a fair number of Jurassic collectors also into BotM. Now if they'll also be interested in Cyberzoic time will tell, but things like Utahraptor, Acrocanthosaurus, etc are enticing on their own.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Creative Beast Studio
It's time for our weekly dose of Cyberzoic! Today we learn more about the formidable Fire Clan.

'Cast out to the Dark Lands by the Technologists hundreds of years ago, the first members of what would become the Fire Clan were expected to die off quickly due to that region's deadly conditions. But through their resourcefulness and a burning rage for revenge, these early settlers would be made stronger by their struggle, forging determined and creative warriors, each worth ten Technologist soldiers. An alliance with the Dragons of this land, who were also outcasts among their own kind, created a powerful force against their oppressors. Early on, the Dragons would assist with night raids on Technologist camps allowing them to capture enough of their dinosaur stock to breed their own, as opposed to cloning, eventually creating farms and forming bonds with the creatures. What technology they do possess is limited to warfare and defense, and is often provided to them by their 'allies' the Water and Desert Clans.'

Here's one of the Fire Clan dinosaurs, as teased previously- Dryptosaurus! The design is close to final (except for the color).  Also included are the preliminary designs. Concept art by Ross Persichetti.

Eocarcharia

It's that time again.

Quote from: Creative Beast Studio
No April Fools here, it's time for another Cyberzoic Friday! You all have seen the designs for the Tech Clan Utahraptor, well, meet its opposition- the Fire Clan Achillobator! This Fire Clan set will feature a deluxe armor that can convert from dinosaur armor into a robotic animal!

'In response to the Tech Clan's converting armor systems for their dinosaur mounts, the Fire Clan collaborated with the robotics experts of the Water Clan to develop their own converting armor systems. Each of these A.I. robot armors are fully functional with or without a host. But when combined with a dinosaur of appropriate size, it can acquire additional attributes as well as having much more energy-efficient mobility. The massive dromaeosaur, Achillobator, was found to be the most compatible host for the 'Razorhound' model and which was then mass-produced to create a devastating front line against any advisory.'

More progress to come on the development of this 1/18th scale figure set (rider included), which is planned for release next year. Concept art by Ross Persichetti. Achillobator sculpt by Jake Baardse.

I wasn't planning to get Achillobator, but this looks pretty cool. The more I see of this line, the more I'm drawn in.

Faelrin

You know even if Dino Riders is the main inspiration here, I can't help but be reminded of Ark and its Tek gear and creatures. I know that isn't everyone's cup of tea here, but man I am living for this line. Can't wait to see how the Cryolophosaurus and Carnotaurus get ups.

KrazyKaprosuchus

You know what, I didn't think i'd be interested in this line as much as BoTM, but these are looking great. Have mercy on my shelf space AND wallet....  :P

DragonRider02

The armor design on this one reminds me a lot of Age of Extinction Grimlock. And it even transforms! This project is even more ambitious than I though it was going to be!

I'm guessing the minimal pricepoint for anything in this line will be at least 200$

Eocarcharia

Quote from: KrazyKaprosuchus on April 02, 2022, 05:52:03 AM
You know what, I didn't think i'd be interested in this line as much as BoTM, but these are looking great. Have mercy on my shelf space AND wallet....  :P
My thoughts exactly.

Here's a bonus mockup from David:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: