News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna: New for 2022

Started by suspsy, October 13, 2021, 05:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on February 24, 2022, 08:08:23 PM
Quote from: suspsy on February 24, 2022, 01:19:15 PM
Quote from: SRF on February 24, 2022, 01:08:47 PM
Quote from: edu on February 24, 2022, 12:50:21 PM
I don't own Eofauna's theropod book. How is the tyrannosaur depicted, with or without lips? Do i wait for this one or buy Rebor's Kiss?  :o

E @edu it's depicted without or at the most partial lipped in the book. I think Eofauna would handle T. Rex the same way as they handled their Giganotosaurus.

I really like this rendition. If there's an actual toy in the works at Eofauna, I hope they use this.

Looks too skinny to me. The pubic boot and therefore gastralia should be at knee level or lower. Add onto that even a very conservative amount of muscle, fat, and skin, and the belly should be noticably deeper than knee level.

Yes it is too skinny. I shared the picture because of the question regarding lips and because of the coloration. I do think that Eofauna will design their T. Rex to be much more massive than rendered in this picture.
But today, I'm just being father

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I was hoping Eofauna would do a more obscure theropod before doing Tyrannosaurus, but I am pleased with this, I am not happy with Wilson anymore and I think this could be the one, the last Tyrannosaurus I would ever buy.
Given their Giganotosaurus figure is chunkier than that Tyrannosaurus art, I'm pretty sure a Tyrannosaurus model from Eofauna will be much chunkier.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sim

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 24, 2022, 01:55:19 PM
If it were the scientific feathered version of the book on theropods by Asier Larramendi and Andrey Atuchin it would be great.

I find the scientific opinion that Tyrannosaurus was featherless convincing, so I hope Eofauna doesn't give their Tyrannosaurus feathers.  I also find the scaly ridge near the eye in Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus illustration weird, if the final figure has it I won't get it.

In any case, it's good to see progress on Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus, in addition to that I look forward to seeing GR Toys's version and I'd like to know if Safari is releasing one this year.  As I've said before I only need one Tyrannosaurus and I'd like to see the aforementioned options to decide which one to have.  Also, I was right in thinking Tyrannosaurus would be Eofauna's next figure, after seeing a tyrannosaurid skeletal with one of the people behind Eofauna.

JohannesB

That illustration of Tyrannosaurus does not convince me either, but I trust Eofauna will deliver something different when producing a figure, more in line with the (featherless) big and bulky interpretations of late.

Sim

On Eofauna's post about this on Facebook, they mention in the comments that the new Sue skeleton mount and the Blue Rhino model of T. rex have the scapulae placed too far down and Eofauna will correct that for their model, so I guess don't expect Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus to be as beefy as those other two reconstructions.

JohannesB

Quote from: Sim on February 24, 2022, 09:55:38 PM
On Eofauna's post about this on Facebook, they mention in the comments that the new Sue skeleton mount and the Blue Rhino model of T. rex have the scapulae placed too far down and Eofauna will correct that for their model, so I guess don't expect Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus to be as beefy as those other two reconstructions.

Interesting.

Concavenator

Quote from: SRF on February 24, 2022, 01:08:47 PM
Quote from: edu on February 24, 2022, 12:50:21 PM
I don't own Eofauna's theropod book. How is the tyrannosaur depicted, with or without lips? Do i wait for this one or buy Rebor's Kiss?  :o

E @edu it's depicted without or at the most partial lipped in the book. I think Eofauna would handle T. Rex the same way as they handled their Giganotosaurus.

On their specific gravities' paper (on which the upcoming Diplodocus is based on), they depicted Tyrannosaurus as bulkier than the one that appears on the book. It also has lips and light feathering. I don't know if the actual figure will look exactly the same, but if anything, I guess it would look more similar to the one featured in the paper rather than the one in the book, since their theropod book is from 2016 and that paper is from 2020 (though later revised in 2021). You can see it here:

http://www.eofauna.com/publications/dinosaur-densities-press-release

Regarding the choice of species, not the most exciting (for me), but since I don't have a Tyrannosaurus in my collection, an Eofauna version is most welcome. And based on the explanations they have given on Facebook, this looks to be an exciting release! I understand the sentiment of tiredness of T.rex figures (I am, too), but if out of the 419 figures of Tyrannosaurus there have ever been (according to dinotoycollector.com), only a handful are serious attempts at reconstructing the animal as it actually was, those few attempts are appreciated, aren't they?

Quote from: suspsy on February 24, 2022, 06:49:04 PM
Apparently Eofauna confirmed a T. rex toy on Instagram. Guess I'll add that to the OP.

Not on Instagram, I have literally just looked it up. I would remove it from the OP though, it's still too early, and if they release the figure we don't even know when, specially with everything going on in the world right now. When the Diplodocus was first teased back in May 2021, it was also added to the 2021 thread. But then, it was fully revealed in October 2021 and it is expected to be released around April 2022. Their releases take time (it has always been this way). There's no hurry.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I would be right there with you waiting to see which is the one I prefer the most, of all these potential options. I am glad to see Eofauna considering one. They are really good at doing skin textures, and their research (aside from PNSO, and Safari Ltd I think, though most also give Rebor some credit with their new Tyrannosaurus figures as well).

I do like the coloration from that book page shared, as well as the link avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator shared (though they seem similar to me), although at the same time I can't help but see it as if did not have the skin on it, but was just muscle. I guess that's because of the bit of lighter splotches it has, on top of the darker coloration.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on February 24, 2022, 09:55:38 PM

I've seen others make this argument and I'm far from convinced. Putting the scapulae in a higher position leaves the furcula only inches from the underside of the cervical vertebrae. The creature could barely have a throat big enough to swallow a chicken leg unless the scapula was pretty low. Maybe not as low as the Sue mount, but close.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on February 24, 2022, 11:25:39 PM
On their specific gravities' paper (on which the upcoming Diplodocus is based on), they depicted Tyrannosaurus as bulkier than the one that appears on the book. It also has lips and light feathering. I don't know if the actual figure will look exactly the same, but if anything, I guess it would look more similar to the one featured in the paper rather than the one in the book, since their theropod book is from 2016 and that paper is from 2020 (though later revised in 2021). You can see it here:

http://www.eofauna.com/publications/dinosaur-densities-press-release

I don't see any feathering on the Tyrannosaurus.  I'm surprised to see it has lips, I thought Eofauna didn't think very large theropods had lips, they even gave lips to Spinosaurus in that link!  I wonder if they changed their mind on ornithischian cheeks too?

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on February 25, 2022, 09:30:52 AMI don't see any feathering on the Tyrannosaurus

It does have feathers. Look closely at the top of its head and its neck.

Sim

I still don't see feathers on the Tyrannosaurus.  I do see it has that weird line of scales near the eye though.  Like I said before, if that makes it onto the figure I won't want it.

Flaffy

I personally find Eofauna's Giganotosaurus to be their weakest dinosaur offering thus far, both in sculpt and paint.
Hopefully they'll make a spectacular theropod this time around.

stargatedalek

The feathers are a bit hard to see because they end right where the water line is, but they are definitely there:
http://www.eofauna.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PR-Illustration-OK.jpg

That row of vertical scales is odd, but if it looks identical to this I'd probably still go for it.

Sim

Oh yes, you're right, I see the feathers now, I couldn't see them in the small image and I didn't know there was a bigger image.  I'd like a featherless Tyrannosaurus so it looks like Eofauna's won't be the one for me, which is fine.  I also notice for the Spinosaurus they've gone for the 'lipped except at the front of the mouth look' which I dislike, so it looks like I won't get Eofauna's Spinosaurus either.  I wonder if Eofauna will ever make a figure I want?

Duna

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 25, 2022, 08:18:11 PM
The feathers are a bit hard to see because they end right where the water line is, but they are definitely there:
http://www.eofauna.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PR-Illustration-OK.jpg
Yes, it's feathered and besides in the parts it would probably be. I share the same opinion as this paleontologist (PALAEOS, whose videos are one of the best in Youtube, if not the best, because of their accuracy and scientific review, he doesn't just listen to scientific opinions). I suggest to all you don't think Tyrannosaurus was feathered to watch it, because it's a very very good video. It's in Spanish language but I hope the translator works nice on it so you can get the idea.
So for me a feathered tyrannosaurus would be just in the tracts that he suggests and Eofauna also depicted (dorsal, arms, thighs (not done) and tail).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IkaEIUhlQk

I'd love to see an Eofauna bulky Sue (if they have reconstructed her crushed skull I'd love if that would be true, as like Sue more than any other fossil). I'm still dreaming for a Concavenator, though ... and a woolly mammooth, please ... but that Edmontosaurus, would be perfect, too.

Sim

There isn't a translation for the video.  But it doesn't matter to me, I've heard arguments for feathers on Tyrannosaurus being present on the dorsal region, on the arms, and just in a reduced state, and they don't convince me.

The Eofauna Tyrannosaurus in the swimming illustration only has feathers on the head and neck as far as I can see.

Duna

Quote from: Sim on February 25, 2022, 09:04:22 PM
There isn't a translation for the video.  But it doesn't matter to me, I've heard arguments for feathers on Tyrannosaurus being present on the dorsal region, on the arms, and just in a reduced state, and they don't convince me.
To see the translation, you have to open the video on Youtube, then select the option "Translate automatically" (or whatever is in English), then you can choose any language you want. I've watched some minutes in English and it's quite accurate (despite some scientific names being funny but he pronounces them well), so I suggest you gave it a look, he debates very interesting facts there, about cladograms, families, phylogenetic "fork" (IdontknowifthatsthewordinEnglish), generalities and probabilities (in contraposition to exceptions and certainties) ... In the video he explains very well why and where would have had tyrannosaurus that feathering (if it had it), and it's not in all body and not on the underside.

QuoteThe Eofauna Tyrannosaurus in the swimming illustration only has feathers on the head and neck as far as I can see.
Yep, that's true. I would have love the way I've mentioned previously. I'll go with the conservative approach, not a thick one.

Sim

Thanks Duna for the kind explanation.  I was able to turn on the automatic translation, but it was hard to follow for me.  It's okay though as I'm satisfied with what I know regarding feathers on Tyrannosaurus.  I made a mistake earlier, I should have said that I think that Tyrannosaurus either was featherless or had very fine sparse feathers, like some elephant hair, which wouldn't be visible on a figure.

Duna

Quote from: Sim on February 25, 2022, 09:31:47 PM
Thanks Duna for the kind explanation.  I was able to turn on the automatic translation, but it was hard to follow for me.  It's okay though as I'm satisfied with what I know regarding feathers on Tyrannosaurus.  I made a mistake earlier, I should have said that I think that Tyrannosaurus either was featherless or had very fine sparse feathers, like some elephant hair, which wouldn't be visible on a figure.
You are welcome. Yes, that's the point, there isn't a yes or no answer by now ...

I'll leave also an article from 2015 (before the discover of the microscales on the underbody of Tyrannosaurus) on his blog discussing feathering in general, on the left there is an automatic translator option (where it says: (TRANSLATE THIS BLOG) that works pretty well:

http://palaeos-blog.blogspot.com/2015/02/las-plumas-del-dinosaurio.html#

It's a very good reading with lots of pictures and facts.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: