News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2022

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2021, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Would that be a first for CollectA? To release only 1 dinosaur at all? Does this mean there are more reveals coming next week? Everything Dinosaur did say there would be fewer releases from them.

Honestly it has me intrigued. I love the gaps CollectA fills by releasing so many non dinosaur animals and roughly 1 Paleozoic and Cenozoic animal per year. None of the other major figure companies does this despite it proving to be a successful venture for them.

Also I am quite shocked Safari still has nothing to reveal. I wonder if this is the first time CollectA did so before them (not a race I know but there's always been a schedule of sorts for these things).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

It would definitely be a first for them, yeah. And I believe there is still at least one more reveal to come. I'm on an email list from CollectA and the one I received earlier this morning gave no indication that that was the end of it.

And the current prevailing rumour is still that Safari won't be revealing until early 2022. Sadly, I fear by then we'll have built up our hopes too high and end up being disappointed by what we see. I hope I am wrong.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Thanks for the info. I think I will keep my expectations low with them. At least CollectA has impressed me this year. I have lots of overdue catching up with them as well. Here's hoping I get the chance next year.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Also, Everything Dinosaur will totally say on their blog when the reveals are concluded.

DragonRider02

Smok was on top of my 2022 wishlist from CollectA and I am so glad it's being made! Can't wait to get it to go with Lisowicia.

Slightly off topic, but Is there any list of what's being retired in 2022? It woud be useful to know, and I remember not being able to find any list of things that were retired in 2021.

CarnotaurusKing

The Geosternbergia is a definite buy for me. The Paraceratherium and Smok are a maybe, and the Spinosaurus and ammonite are a no from me (the latter because I'm not big on cephalopods).
The Smok is a weird one, because most depictions show it with a more Herrerasaurus-esque head, while this looks more like a sebecosuchian. Plus, most depictions show it as a biped, like theropods and rauisuchians. If they just called it Barinasuchus, it'd be a yes, but as is, it's a maybe. Then again, I don't know head from tail about pseudosuchians, so don't take my word as gospel. Still, it's a nice looking model, and the Lisowicia has a neighbor now.

Bread

I think it is good news that CollectA are going for only one dinosaur this year, if the rumors are true of course.

Aquilolamna milarcae is still high on my list. Plus it is often that CollectA release a species that has just been discovered.

Also the Smok finally gives me the excuse to cave in and buy the Lisowicia.

Lynx

Following up on what I last said, I think I went a bit too far. I'm not disappointed, honestly, but rather a little upset. I am trying to increase my dinosaur collection rather than well... 'the other stuff', though I'd love to buy that horse croc once I'm happy with the Dinosauria side of the shelves. As for the Pterosaur, I honestly need to see an in-person review before purchase. The Spinosaurus is fine, and if I don't like the spikes with the final purchase, I can simply snip them off. I'm really hoping the Spinosaurus isn't the only dinosaur with the final 2022 wave, though I wouldn't be too unhappy if this was the case.
Now for my one by one review of the figures:
Spinosaurus: Love it, I'll be buying it the second it releases. By far it's CollectAs best Spinosaurus!
Pterosaur: Quality looks a bit cheap, but I'll buy it if it'll scale nicely with other figures
Smok: My first impressions were: "Oh god, another one." But the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.
Paraceratherium: No. Sorry, but no. Safari LTD and Itoy already won.
Cooperoceras: Very beautiful and majestic, but another no from me. I have no interest and collecting these kinds of creatures.

Alright, there we go! I tried to be as fair and honest as possible with these, though I have yet to see the in-person reviews and pictures.
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on November 12, 2021, 03:37:04 PM
The Smok is a weird one, because most depictions show it with a more Herrerasaurus-esque head, while this looks more like a sebecid. Plus, most depictions show it as a biped, like theropods and rauisuchians. If they just called it Barinasuchus, it'd be a yes, but as is, it's a maybe. Then again, I don't know head from tail about pseudosuchians, so don't take my word as gospel. Still, it's a nice looking model, and the Lisowicia has a neighbor now.

Yes, I'm curious to know how CollectA went about designing the Smok and what their methodology was. It doesn't really look like any of the reconstructions that I'm seeing online. I'm still excited about it but now that I'm reading up on Smok I'm finding some questionable design choices here.

Bokisaurus

Wonderful new additions and in true CollectA form, very unique 😃
So far, so good. It's great to see that despite the challenges CollectA is still producing some obscure animals. In these days of chaos due to the lingering effects of the pandemic, it would be so tempting for any company  to make up lost revenue by producing the same old Dino favorites that are guaranteed big sellers.

So it's wonderful that despite all that, CollectA is still willing to gamble with some unique and obscure animals.

Seriously, we are so lucky to be even getting some of these amazing and unique animals  even in the best of circumstances .

With five models and more to come, that's already more than some brands produced for this entire year, so big kudos for make all the efforts to make as much as possible. That is worth acknowledging and frankly be thankful for.

Hopefully Safari too could pull off a miracle and give us more than 3 figure for next year.😃

Sim

The Smok looks decent but I notice it has a dark colour around its cloaca, I wish CollectA would stop the cloaca highlighting, it just spoils the figures for me.  As for the cephalopod, I don't understand why CollectA is making all these invertebrates.  You can't do much playing with them.  It looks like they're selling well enough though, at least the cephalopods appear to be.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Lynx on November 12, 2021, 03:59:46 PM
Following up on what I last said, I think I went a bit too far. I'm not disappointed, honestly, but rather a little upset. I am trying to increase my dinosaur collection rather than well... 'the other stuff', though I'd love to buy that horse croc once I'm happy with the Dinosauria side of the shelves. As for the Pterosaur, I honestly need to see an in-person review before purchase. The Spinosaurus is fine, and if I don't like the spikes with the final purchase, I can simply snip them off. I'm really hoping the Spinosaurus isn't the only dinosaur with the final 2022 wave, though I wouldn't be too unhappy if this was the case.
Spinosaurus: Love it, I'll be buying it the second it releases. By far it's CollectAs best Spinosaurus!
Pterosaur: Quality looks a bit cheap, but I'll buy it if it'll scale nicely with other figures
Smok: My first impressions were: "Oh god, another one." But the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.
Cooperoceras: Very beautiful and majestic, but another no from me. I have no interest and collecting these kinds of creatures.

Alright, there we go! I tried to be as fair and honest as possible with these, though I have yet to see the in-person reviews and pictures.
safari doesnt have a paracera
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on November 12, 2021, 04:50:52 PM
The Smok looks decent but I notice it has a dark colour around its cloaca, I wish CollectA would stop the cloaca highlighting, it just spoils the figures for me.  As for the cephalopod, I don't understand why CollectA is making all these invertebrates.  You can't do much playing with them. It looks like they're selling well enough though, at least the cephalopods appear to be.

Shhh...don't question it, just accept it. I'm looking forward to having a large display of prehistoric cephalopods, courtesy of CollectA. That's something I never thought I would be able to accomplish in this hobby. Also, for play purposes they work well as bath and pool toys.

I also dislike the dirty cloaca on CollectA figures.

Lynx

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 12, 2021, 04:52:35 PM
Quote from: Lynx on November 12, 2021, 03:59:46 PM

safari doesnt have a paracera

They don't? Huh.
An oversized house cat.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on November 12, 2021, 04:01:51 PM
Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on November 12, 2021, 03:37:04 PM
The Smok is a weird one, because most depictions show it with a more Herrerasaurus-esque head, while this looks more like a sebecid. Plus, most depictions show it as a biped, like theropods and rauisuchians. If they just called it Barinasuchus, it'd be a yes, but as is, it's a maybe. Then again, I don't know head from tail about pseudosuchians, so don't take my word as gospel. Still, it's a nice looking model, and the Lisowicia has a neighbor now.

Yes, I'm curious to know how CollectA went about designing the Smok and what their methodology was. It doesn't really look like any of the reconstructions that I'm seeing online. I'm still excited about it but now that I'm reading up on Smok I'm finding some questionable design choices here.

It looks akin to the Postosuchus debate - CollectA is going with an older quadruped stance rather than the bipedal stance. I don't know enough about Smok (yet) to know which is best but I doubt it will dissuade me from getting it LOL

EDIT: not that I look at it again, it's almost like they are going for a bipedal animal that just happens to be leaning on its forearms (resting pose? stalking pose?).

Fembrogon

Last week's reveals were nice, but that Smok definitely has my attention. I could stand to improve my Triassic gallery quite a bit.
The Cooperaceras looks really nice too. I don't know much about prehistoric cephalopods and have yet to buy any CollectA has made; but it's really cool that they've been covering this niche.

indohyus

CollectA certainly seem to be enjoying their ammonites! Pretty nice though. As for Smok, I might get it, as I studied the Rheatian stage in the UK, be interesting to have a model of a species from that time.

suspsy

I can accept restoring Smok as a pseudosuchian, but the quadrupedal pose is a letdown. I'm going to take a cue from B @bmathison1972 and pretend it's crouched over a kill.

Say! Maybe we'll get a Lisowicia corpse in the reveals next week!

Kapitaenosavrvs

Wow, CollectA. Really really nice Set. I love the Spinosaurus, the arms are changeable, but man i do love the sculpt, that reminds me a lot of Essien 2.0 (I did not read the whole thread yet, but i will do that later) And i think this is a perfect addition to my custom CollectA swimming Spinosaurus.

I am happy for all the Paraceratherium fans, that finally got a nice, affordable Version of it. I will not get it, since i do not collect Mammals. Marine life is something else.

And yes. More Cephalopods. I love it.

Geosternbergia is a must for me. I also like the Size of it.

I am not that interested in Smok.

Lanthanotus

Smok, yeah, something to group the enormous Lisowicia with :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: