You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is your least favorite dinosaur?

Started by brontosauruschuck, March 22, 2020, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Wouldn't really say I dislike any dinosaur or prehistoric creature, however the least interesting groups for me (overall; there are individual members of these groups I find interesting) are tyrannosaurids, allosauroids, iguanodontians and ceratopsids.

HD-man

Quote from: Dinoxels on March 23, 2020, 09:27:14 AMProbably Heterodontosaurus, just because I saw the same reconstruction of it preening it's hand far too much growing up.

This 1?:
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Patrx

I certainly don't dislike any dinosaur! But, if I had to pick one that I regard as comparatively dull, maybe Giganotosaurus or Carcharodontosaurus would be it.

Stegotyranno420

I am surprised about how many people dislike large theropods like allosaurs or carcharodontosaurids. Those are some of my favorites

PrimevalRaptor

Honestly there's none I really dislike, at least no real one. I am however tired of all the JP-"inspired" T.rex and "Velociraptor" that still plague the world.
I do have to admit I quite often find T.rex way too overrated, or rather oversaturated, given how every news article talking about a new prehistoric animal has to include a reference to THE ALMIGHTY TEE-WRECKS, KING OF DINOSAURS. I do get the fascination though, T.rex (the actual animal) is pretty damn interesting and still very imposing, I remember when I saw Sue for the first time in person, I can't fault T.rex for being so popular.

Dinoxels

Quote from: HD-man on March 23, 2020, 07:42:45 PM
Quote from: Dinoxels on March 23, 2020, 09:27:14 AMProbably Heterodontosaurus, just because I saw the same reconstruction of it preening it's hand far too much growing up.

This 1?:
Yeah that one.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Halichoeres

I'm loath to say that I dislike any particular ancient animal, but I am pretty bored of tyrannosaurids, most allosauroids, and spinosaurids, so I'd have to name those as my least favorites.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Mellow Stego

Well I do appreciate the title asking our least favorite dinosaur. As most people here have already mentioned before, I really don't dislike any of these animals.

That being said my least favorite would have to be Trex. Simply do to over saturation in media. I have only one Trex toy and that's the Safari feathered Rex.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Newt

I'm not too fond of House Sparrows right now. They're making a mess of my workplace.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Newt on March 24, 2020, 06:17:31 PM
I'm not too fond of House Sparrows right now. They're making a mess of my workplace.
Oh yeah, I also wanted to say the Strigiformes are extremely annoying.

brontosauruschuck

Quote from: Stegotyranno on March 24, 2020, 07:26:08 PM

Really? I think they're kind of cute. When I was a kid I really liked to find owl pellets and pull them apart to look at the bones inside. It sounds kind of morbid and gross, and it was.

Right now there's a Picidae trying to move in to my home, and it wouldn't be so bad if she didn't insist on creating her own door.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on March 24, 2020, 07:54:38 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on March 24, 2020, 07:26:08 PM

Really? I think they're kind of cute. When I was a kid I really liked to find owl pellets and pull them apart to look at the bones inside. It sounds kind of morbid and gross, and it was.

Right now there's a Picidae trying to move in to my home, and it wouldn't be so bad if she didn't insist on creating her own door.
You in some of my Religious places I go to, there are Pavo cristatus that roam freely. Its really cool

stargatedalek

Pet peafowl are lovely, I don't see them often enough. Though they can sometimes be loud they are still far quieter and cleaner than a large dog.

Our former neighborhood used to have a few free roaming hens, then people complained (despite that hens don't make noise, some people are just pricks and hate anything that isn't "normal"). The laws are absolutely draconian, roosters are allowed but not hens because having hens is considered "competition" with licensed businesses.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 24, 2020, 09:36:01 PM
Pet peafowl are lovely, I don't see them often enough. Though they can sometimes be loud they are still far quieter and cleaner than a large dog.

Our former neighborhood used to have a few free roaming hens, then people complained (despite that hens don't make noise, some people are just pricks and hate anything that isn't "normal"). The laws are absolutely draconian, roosters are allowed but not hens because having hens is considered "competition" with licensed businesses.
Yes Peafowls are great, but I also love dogs

But we should get back on topic, because that is the rules

BlueKrono

Mine is also T. rex, since childhood. It was always the "cool" dinosaur, and I was never one of the cool kids.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

WarrenJB

T. rex.

I prefer Tyrannosaurus.

Tyrrrannosaurus.

Everyone, now: Tyyyrrrrrannosaurus.

Loon

Quote from: WarrenJB on April 01, 2020, 09:51:45 PM
T. rex.

I prefer Tyrannosaurus.

Tyrrrannosaurus.

Everyone, now: Tyyyrrrrrannosaurus.

What?

WarrenJB

Roll the word around your mouth. It's much more satisfying!

T.rex is Marc Bolan's band. Or perhaps a brand of veggie lard.

leidy

All you people claiming to dislike T.rex (Tyrannosaurus) are nuts.  Imagine you walked into a well stocked museum with all the names blocked out, knowing nothing of dinosaurs.  Just the mounted skeletons to look at.  I can't fathom how anyone could fail to be impressed with T.rex. 

I used to feel like maybe T.rex was a bit overrated, overhyped, too obvious.  It's not the only large carnivore.  But seeing those bones in person really opened my eyes.  It's always something special.  Just from a sculptural point of view, it's always dramatic to behold.  It was clearly a magnificent creature.   

I don't have a least favourite dinosaur, but there are a lot more dinosaurs today than what I grew up with.  I used to be familiar with about 300 of them and took pride in knowing about the obscure ones.  These days I think that's a waste of time.  There's little point in attempting heavily speculative restorations on dinosaurs where we have less than 5% of the skeleton.  I used to think it would be a big deal to name a dinosaur.  But seeing some of the names on newer dinosaurs, well so many of them are instantly forgettable.  It's just going to be another datapoint. I used to be quite easily excited about sauropods, but there's come to be so many of them that it's hard to get excited about.  Most of them are relatively indistinct unless you have studied neck vertebrae in depth, and then they cement the obscurity with names like Futalognkosaurus  (Opisthocoelicaudia was already taken).

So yeah, I don't have a least favourite, but there are a lot of dinosaurs that frankly aren't making enough of a case for why any of us should take much notice of their existence.  I bear these dinosaurs no animosity!  ... just indifference.

Takama

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 22, 2020, 10:58:05 PM
Not a dinosaur, but megalodon.

OMG if any prehistoric Sea Creature is overated its this one.

Its a Giant Shark, whos most common fossils are its teeth, yet people treat it as much like a superstar as T.rex, (who has plenty more bones to show for the world to see).

Oh did anyone know that it can be confused with this,    :))

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: