News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

Iv seen the trailers and it looks like the best in years,but its way overdue,but at the same time i dont think it will be groundbreaking or anything,just a quality feature.
Iv seen some recent documentaries about dinosaurs ,which are quality features but nothing new,esp after the years of nothing for no good reason.
Having said that,i will check it out for sure,seeing that its being hyped more than the others of recent times...
im  of the few that didn't mind jurassic fight club at all,with its hypothetical fights,which seemed fine to speculate and was entertaining...really wish the second series had happened as it was supposed to feature ice age mammals fighting supposedly...

SpartanSquat

The CGI is supreme, its done by MPC (Moving Pictures Company) they did Jungle Book 2016, Lion King 2019 and Legendary Godzilla (all legendary godzilla movies) so its in good hands.
One thing I notice all these years its finally all the paleocommunity is happy with the doc. In 2011, people were divided with Planet Dinosaur and Dinosaur Revolution. Dinosaur Revolution had great dinosaurs designs but the documentary part was lame and horrible narrator. Planet Dinosaur for the other part had boring and generic dinosaurs designs and the CGI aged really bad but better in documentary section and great narrator.

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 06, 2022, 02:51:43 PMThere was another Velociraptor species in Nemegt, alongside Tarbosaurus and Deinocheirus...

That's a possibility I didn't previously consider ( https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7869.msg318261#msg318261 ). I'm glad you brought it up.

Quote from: HD-man on May 03, 2022, 06:09:38 AMFor those who don't wanna watch the whole video:

For those wondering why "Freshwater" is rated TV-PG: https://www.mycelebritylife.co.uk/tv/sir-david-attenborough-engrossed-by-dinosaurs-having-sex-on-his-new-show-prehistoric-planet-it-was-utterly-utterly-extraordinary/
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Jose S.M.

I'm so excited about this! Luckily I will be able to subscribe for the trial to watch it, I was worried that I wouldn't due to my location.
Even my husband is excited and he's not that into dinosaurs specifically, he's just into nature in general. I sent him the trailer while I was at work and was immediately bombarded with screenshots asking "who is that?" "who are they?" ( Yes he referred to the creatures by personal pronouns  ;D ) and immediate love for chubby Tyrannosaurus, cute blueish ornithopods and big ducks ( Deinocheirus and hadrosaurs).
I read somewhere that 95 animals were created for the show, surely some are mostly background characters but still that's an impressive amount of animals.

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: Concavenator on May 17, 2022, 12:09:34 PMThe site the video redirected to didn't give me good vibes. I'll wait for the official release.

Yup, it redirects to a dodgy site. Pretty much any "free full length film" on YouTube is the same.

Spoiler
https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/review-prehistoric-planet-combines-pioneering-science-and-hollywood-effects-for-incredible-portal-to-the-past/

Based on this article, we can expect Secernosaurus and Ankylosaurus. If Ankylosaurus is picking through the ashes of a forest fire, the coelurosaur from the trailer could be from the same sequence. If so, my guess is Pectinodon.
[close]

Fembrogon

The hype is getting real!

Samrukia

new teasers for every episode!

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Bread

Outstanding!

I've been thinking about this recently; do you all think any species featured in this film are going to skyrocket in desire for a figure either already made or to be made?

Fembrogon

I certainly hope so, but it's hard to say. There are still genera from Walking With Dinosaurs and When Dinosaurs Roamed America which have few or no toys to their name, despite the impact of those shows.
Then again, the dinosaur toy market has expanded dramatically since those days, so maybe the odds will be better this time.

Faelrin

Those Carnotaurus arm wiggles were so cute, lol (in the second trailer). I can hardly contain my excitement now. Only a few days away now!
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dynomikegojira

I literally woke up to an explosion of new footage. I definitely can't wait.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Bread on May 19, 2022, 05:06:31 PMOutstanding!

I've been thinking about this recently; do you all think any species featured in this film are going to skyrocket in desire for a figure either already made or to be made?

Unfortunately I doubt it unless the program were to air on a more mainstream outlet such as regular cable TV. That will probably be the one thing that will prevent it from having the cultural impact that Walking With Dinosaurs had.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

HD-man

Quote from: erlectric on May 19, 2022, 03:56:42 PMnew teasers for every episode!

The teasers are especially exciting to me b/c they show that, in addition to the Velociraptor sp. in "Deserts" & "Freshwater", there are eudromaeosaurs in "Ice Worlds" & "Forests" I especially like these shots!:

Carnoking

Releasing this clip and then leaving us hanging is cruel :'(

HD-man

Quote from: Faelrin on May 19, 2022, 05:54:21 PMI can hardly contain my excitement now. Only a few days away now!

I know right? Before today, I didn't think I could be more excited for PP, & then I saw the 5 new teasers & was proven wrong. This is how excited I feel:

Dynomikegojira

Me too we just have to get over this weekend. I'm just watched Dinotasia and am currently watching When Dinosaurs Roamed America and will watch Sea Monsters A Prehistoric Adventure after that for my paleodoc revisit for today. Tomorrow morning I will watching all for episodes of Dinosaur Planet and March Of The Dinosaurs and when I get home after work I will watch Last Day of the Dinosaurs and Tarbosaurus The Mightiest Ever.

Currently Watched so far

WWD
Ballad of Big Al
Chased by Dinosaurs
Sea Mosnters A WWD trilogy
WWD 3D Prehistoric Planet

Halichoeres

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 19, 2022, 07:08:56 PM
Quote from: Bread on May 19, 2022, 05:06:31 PMOutstanding!

Unfortunately I doubt it unless the program were to air on a more mainstream outlet such as regular cable TV. That will probably be the one thing that will prevent it from having the cultural impact that Walking With Dinosaurs had.

The media environment is certainly more fragmented now than when WWD came out, so you might be right. I would think any animal featured in PP has a higher probability of getting made into a figure than before, even if it isn't a certainty. Even WWD animals like Othnielia (also hindered by taxonomic changes) and Placerias have been mostly ignored in the subsequent decades.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: HD-man on May 20, 2022, 06:16:56 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on May 19, 2022, 05:54:21 PMI can hardly contain my excitement now. Only a few days away now!

I know right? Before today, I didn't think I could be more excited for PP, & then I saw the 5 new teasers & was proven wrong. This is how excited I feel:
Let's hope Prehistoric Planet isn't just a bunch of cheap walk cycles though
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: