News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellow Stego

I'm hopeful the neck hoodie would be
Less obvious with paint on.
That said these are still gorgeous.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Darko2300

Quote from: Mellow Stego on July 22, 2022, 04:42:49 AMI'm hopeful the neck hoodie would be
Less obvious with paint on.
That said these are still gorgeous.

Me too. I just pulled the trigger on the painted version yesterday morning, and now I'm second guessing myself. There things are really expensive. 😳

Dusty Wren

I thought David had said that those neck pieces were going to be made of a flexible material. Did he have to change the plan for production reasons?
Check out my customs thread!

Over9K

There are some in-hand images starting to appear on FB, and that neck gap is NOT getting any smaller.

dinodamage

Quote from: Over9K on July 25, 2022, 02:42:34 PMThere are some in-hand images starting to appear on FB, and that neck gap is NOT getting any smaller.

For the grey vers or color? Would you happen to have said images? Just curious how its actually going to look on the painted fig.

The gap does bother me somewhat, wondering if carefully shaping it with a hair dryer would help or be too risky for the paint. it's not the end of the world, just not something I'm aesthetically thrilled with- still not quite understanding the reasoning behind this design and not something more similar to the articulation of the juvenile- but oh well, still gorgeous

Eocarcharia

Pardon the interruption, but I figured I'd repost the T. rex size comparison galleries here~

1/18 vs. Hammond Collection

Spoiler

[close]

1/35 vs. Papo and Resaurus

Spoiler

[close]

Over9K

Quote from: dinodamage on August 01, 2022, 08:56:12 AM
Quote from: Over9K on July 25, 2022, 02:42:34 PMThere are some in-hand images starting to appear on FB, and that neck gap is NOT getting any smaller.

For the grey vers or color? Would you happen to have said images? Just curious how its actually going to look on the painted fig.

The gap does bother me somewhat, wondering if carefully shaping it with a hair dryer would help or be too risky for the paint. it's not the end of the world, just not something I'm aesthetically thrilled with- still not quite understanding the reasoning behind this design and not something more similar to the articulation of the juvenile- but oh well, still gorgeous

It's the grey. I grabbed these from FB, from @Greg Accetta.

suspsy

I really hope that "hoodie" is less noticeable on the painted versions.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioThe wave 1 T. rex paint samples are in for the Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series! As many of you may know, the paint masters for these were lost in transit to the factory, so they had to work from my photos, which is much more difficult. And while I do plan to go into these and improve them a bit more before I send them back, I must say they turned out pretty nice! More on these, as well as everything else going on with this series in my Kickstarter update, tomorrow.

And as for the Grey T. rexes and other current preorder items- the early shipment is expected to arrive at the warehouse today, so we plan to begin Kickstarter and early preorder fulfillment before the end of the week. The main quantity, however, isn't expected to arrive until mid- September, but that just means more time to take advantage of the preorder pricing.

David also said in response to a comment that toning down the "lipstick" look on the exclusive Rexes is something he'll work on in regard to the retouching.

Duck

Hmm the Dino Riders version doesn't look that great, but I trust David will fix it up.

Both 1/35s look stupendous, and the 1/18 is a little redder than I would have liked but it still looks great
He who dwells in pond

suspsy

Big update today. The most important and admittedly most disappointing news is that Wave 1 of the tyrannosaurs has been delayed till October. Personally, I'm not at all surprised. And really, one more month isn't a big deal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-tyrannosaur-series-action-figures/posts/3573635?fbclid=IwAR2KMzYRgu-u66kFeo-QxTZHMMa5EttQV4grRGAq8SmvAxdoRKIiej5UTyo&fs=e&s=cl

Flaffy

Well, there is some great news: David did manage to fix the Eotyrannus's hands and arm proportions!

"It's worth mentioning that the  hands in the upper right are brand new hands for Eotyrannus with the longer third digit and shorter arms. I was barely able to implement this in time based on the newly published findings. It's been suggested that I adjust the head sculpt as well, but for the sake of not delaying these figures further, and given that the head is mostly covered in 'fluff', I opted not to. Plus, I just don't think it's a good idea to make significant changes to the look of a figure that many people have already ordered. But tweaking the hands and arms seemed subtle enough."
- David

KrazyKaprosuchus

Can we just appreciate that David is fine with putting his work on hold to make changes to align with new findings? There's still the head, but it really is hardly noticable to me with all that fluff. Seriously though, David's work is so great.

suspsy

Also, judging from that teaser image at the bottom, it looks like MOTU fans have something to be excited about!

Faelrin

I think I can manage a delay. Hopefully that buys me more time to find a place to settle down in. Ideally I think I'd rather wait for my tyrannosaurus to ship with my Yutyrannus and Guanlong, if that's possible.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Creative Beast just shared an image of the 1/18 T. rex done up as the MOTU Tyrantisaurus Rex, but David says he's "just having fun" for Powercon.

Eocarcharia

The image in question:

On one hand, I'm disappointed that it won't actually be released. On the other, I'm glad I won't have to consider whether I would rather have this one over the Dino Riders version that I already ordered.

Darko2300

Considering I actually had the Tyrantisaurus Rex as a kid, I'm a little devastated.

suspsy

I like the Tyrantisaurus Rex colour scheme as a novelty, but even if it was available as an option, I'd stick with the Dino-Riders one, which is actually plausible in real life. I'm all for vivid colour schemes, but I don't buy for an instant that evolution would actually produce a purple-skinned dinosaur.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: