News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pliosaurking

andrewsaurus rex

it does look just great.   Am I to understand that that is the paint version for the Cyberzoic series, and that the release without the armor, in the BOTM series will be painted differently?    I'd hate to have to pay extra for a Cyberzoic figure, just to get a paint scheme I want.

Faelrin

A @andrewsaurus David made it clear early on that the armor and all that would be optional. So yeah you could pick and choose which color you want ultimately, and go without the armor if that's your thing. I think the coloration differences is to really help give the molds more use, and maybe for the different lore between the two series (with Cyberzoic set in the distant future, and BotM, focusing on the prehistoric past).

Edit: And now that I think about it, it's going to be real tough for me to decide between which version I want when these become available.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

As tempting as that Utahraptor is, I prefer to wait and see what else Cyberzoic and BotM have in store. We still haven't seen an official list for the members of the Desert, Water, and Dragon Clans.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pliosaurking

EmperorDinobot

It is extremely pretty and I cannot wait to own it.

BoneHead98

Quote from: Faelrin on October 26, 2022, 02:48:09 AMA @andrewsaurus  I think the coloration differences is to really help give the molds more use, and maybe for the different lore between the two series (with Cyberzoic set in the distant future, and BotM, focusing on the prehistoric past).

Need to find a source but I believe David clarified in an interview that the two colorations represent gender dimorphism: BOTM represents vibrant males and the duller Cyberzoic are the females. Canonically, the clones of the Cyberzoic are the same as they were when the BOTM individuals existed.

On topic, absolutely gorgeous figure. Wasn't planning on picking this up (my eye was on Achillobator but it looks wonderful

Concavenator

The Utahraptor looks spectacular. I hope it will come with a support rod though, I wouldn't like it to be leaning on its wings.

Halichoeres

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on October 28, 2022, 11:35:56 AMThe Utahraptor looks spectacular. I hope it will come with a support rod though, I wouldn't like it to be leaning on its wings.

I'm sure that it will, all the bipeds so far have come with some kind of support.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sim

The Cyberzoic Utahraptor looks very good!  I'm impressed by how well its seams blend in.  I think this is the best dromaeosaurid by David so far, and his previous ones were very good too.  I'm eager to see the BotM Utahraptor as that's the one I'm planning to get.

It's great to see an accurate Utahraptor figure finally coming!  It's surprising how there hasn't been a good figure representation of it considering its popularity.  The same goes for Dilophosaurus.

I think I remember a while ago David said the Utahraptor and Achillobator will have posing rods although they hadn't been developed yet.

ceratopsian

Just been catching up with this thread out of general interest. I had no idea that the armour would be sold separately!  So thanks for this information avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin. So some more animals might be coming my way after all from this line!

Sim

I was just thinking about the Cenozoic animals and whether the Cyberzoic ones would be "female" and the Bot... would be "male" like with the Mesozoic animals.  If so the terrestrial mammals would need anatomical differences I think.  I wonder if David would do that?

suspsy

I still wish we would get some Water Clan artwork already. Also, that Utahraptor is so bloody fantastic!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on October 28, 2022, 09:13:32 PMI was just thinking about the Cenozoic animals and whether the Cyberzoic ones would be "female" and the Bot... would be "male" like with the Mesozoic animals.  If so the terrestrial mammals would need anatomical differences I think.  I wonder if David would do that?

I should hope so. It would go against the general accurate-as-manageable ethic he's developed to leave it out.

Lynx

I wonder how far they will go with the male-female changes? (like how papo gave a male smilodon a mane.)
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

If David were to do faithful male and female versions of the woolly mammoth (confirmed), Arctotherium (hopefully), and Smilodon (confirmed), it would necessitate two completely different moulds for each species. An average male Asian elephant weighs 4 tons and an average female weighs 3 tons. A male spectacled bear weighs anywhere from 220-400 lbs while a female weighs under 190 lbs. And male and female Bengal tigers achieve up to around 500 lbs and 400 lbs respectively. The same sexual dimorphism applied to prehistoric elephants and bears and cats.

On top of that, there's all the anatomical differences between the two sexes. We know that male woolly mammoths were not only bigger, but also had longer and curvier tusks. Male Smilodons and Arctotheriums were probably more robustly built as well as bigger. It would be a lot for David to bite off. But if he chooses to go that route, then I salute his gumption.

andrewsaurus rex

I agree.  While it would certainly be nice, I expect all the Cenozoic releases and their BOTC counterparts, will be males, at least for the mammals..  Not only would it require two sets of molds per animal, the second set, being female, and forgive me for saying this, would be of far less interest commercially and thus less viable business-wise.  Everyone with an interest in a particular animal would want a figure of a big male, only diehards like us, would be interested in female counterparts as well.

Given that the Cenozoic series is likely to be of less interest overall, as compared to the BOTM lines, it's just not realistic to expect male/female versions of each animal to be produced.  Although there might be the occasional exception, with luck. eg something like a lion and a lioness.

Halichoeres

I construed Sim's question differently, I figured he was trying to ask as delicately as possible whether males would have visible external genitals.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 31, 2022, 02:12:39 PMI construed Sim's question differently, I figured he was trying to ask as delicately as possible whether males would have visible external genitals.
This was my interpretation as well.

Personally I very much hope they won't.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: