News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKaprosuchus

Im surprised I like the Achillobator as much as I do. The naked head n neck weren't doing it at all for me looking at the concept art.

BoneHead98

Quote from: KrazyKaprosuchus on November 09, 2022, 02:53:22 AMIm surprised I like the Achillobator as much as I do. The naked head n neck weren't doing it at all for me looking at the concept art.

David's concept art > figure pipeline is insane.

The Spicylpeus went from one of my least favorite to a eye catcher on my shelf so fast

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: BoneHead98 on November 10, 2022, 02:21:13 AMDavid's concept art > figure pipeline is insane.

The Spicylpeus went from one of my least favorite to a eye catcher on my shelf so fast
Indeed! For me it was mostly the case with the Xenoceratops though.

Needless to say, I now trust David knows what he's doing when it comes to coloration. ;D

Concavenator

Given the discovery of more Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis remains (discussed here) and that this species is currently only known from skull material, I think it would be a good idea if David held off on making a Pachycephalosaurus figure (especially since apparently it hasn't been designed yet) at least until that information is published and described. Removing it or replacing it with another species (if he wants to make a pachycephalosaurid anyways there's Stegoceras) would be a better choice, at least in the meantime. Otherwise, there's the possibility of it ending up as another Eotyrannus case which could easily be avoided in this case.

andrewsaurus rex

What is the problem with the BOTM  Eotyrannus?

Concavenator

A @andrewsaurus check this out: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10327.0

David managed to change the hands but won't be changing the head or the proportions, so the figure will be dated in that regard.

andrewsaurus rex

Thanks for the link....very interesting. 

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 10, 2022, 11:15:08 PMA @andrewsaurus check this out: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10327.0

David managed to change the hands but won't be changing the head or the proportions, so the figure will be dated in that regard.
Would it look too terribly wrong with that feathering covering it though? I'd like to still pick it up if its passable.

Flaffy

Quote from: KrazyKaprosuchus on November 11, 2022, 03:21:18 AM
Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 10, 2022, 11:15:08 PMA @andrewsaurus check this out: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10327.0

Would it look too terribly wrong with that feathering covering it though? I'd like to still pick it up if its passable.

The list I sent to David if you're curious. I'm personally holding out for a better one in the future. Especially since these things are quite spendy, and I'm already dumping a lot of money into the BotM/Cyberzoic line. So I want to make sure each figure I'm getting from David to be near perfection.

"Discrepancies I've noticed when comparing the BotM & Raul's Eotyrannus vs Dan Folkes' skeletal:

Main points~
- General head shape too boxy.
- The dorsal nasal region currently covered in white fluff would've most likely supported a keratin ridge instead.
- Jugal tubercle placement should be further back, positioned behind the orbits and not in front.
- The area of the lacrimals is erroneous. Both shape and anatomy could be refined.
- Slightly oversized.

Skull stuff~
- Premaxilla should not have an upturn.
- Maxilla should not have such a deep curve to it, but instead should be more flat.
- Nares are the wrong shape, should be an elongated oblong rather than round."

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Flaffy on November 11, 2022, 03:27:17 AMThe list I sent to David if you're curious. I'm personally holding out for a better one in the future. Especially since these things are quite spendy, and I'm already dumping a lot of money into the BotM/Cyberzoic line. So I want to make sure each figure I'm getting from David to be near perfection.

"Discrepancies I've noticed when comparing the BotM & Raul's Eotyrannus vs Dan Folkes' skeletal:

Main points~
- General head shape too boxy.
- The dorsal nasal region currently covered in white fluff would've most likely supported a keratin ridge instead.
- Jugal tubercle placement should be further back, positioned behind the orbits and not in front.
- The area of the lacrimals is erroneous. Both shape and anatomy could be refined.
- Slightly oversized.

Skull stuff~
- Premaxilla should not have an upturn.
- Maxilla should not have such a deep curve to it, but instead should be more flat.
- Nares are the wrong shape, should be an elongated oblong rather than round."
Thank you very much for the information. I don't think i'll pick it up after all in that case. It's SO unfortunate that David chose some very fragmentary species to make, because of things like this. :'(

Flaffy

Quote from: KrazyKaprosuchus on November 11, 2022, 03:32:57 AMThank you very much for the information. I don't think i'll pick it up after all in that case. It's SO unfortunate that David chose some very fragmentary species to make, because of things like this. :'(

I just wish David had waited for Folkes's 2022 reconstruction before making the figure. I recall telling him that Naish and co. were writing up the big Eotyrannus monograph back in June 2021. Then the paper was published in July 2022... :'(

andrewsaurus rex

With the hands redone, all the figure really needs is a new head sculpt.  Would it be that difficult to delay the figure, resculpt the head and then issue it, with the same paint scheme?  It's not due for release for another year anyway.  I think it would be worth the investment of time and money as sales may be soft for the Eotyrannus figure, the way it is.

Flaffy

Quote from: andrewsaurus on November 11, 2022, 04:21:07 AMWith the hands redone, all the figure really needs is a new head sculpt.  Would it be that difficult to delay the figure, resculpt the head and then issue it, with the same paint scheme?  It's not due for release for another year anyway.  I think it would be worth the investment of time and money as sales may be soft for the Eotyrannus figure, the way it is.

No, David told me pretty clearly that he has no plans to redo the head sculpt for this release. Which again is fair enough, but still a shame that it couldn't represent what we now know about the genus. So close yet so far.

David's response:

"Unfortunately this is one of those cases where the info is coming in slightly too late. The tooling process has already begun for all of the body 1 figures so doing a new head at this stage is not really an option for this release. I may be able to sneak in some updated hands though with the upcoming body 3 molds, which should be possible. As for the head- yes the one on the current figure is slightly large compared to the new skeletal, however it is mostly covered in feathery fluff, so combined with the rough keratin  layer along the top of the snout and having lips, the basic shape is still feasible I think. I will concede that the skull may be about 5-10% too small based on new data. These things are bound to happen sometimes, though. Perhaps there can be an updated head for a later release."

andrewsaurus rex

the current head is too small?  I was thinking it was too big.  Perhaps it's just its more blocky shape that makes it look bigger.

EmperorDinobot

Moar pics https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=750381826448666&set=pcb.750383109781871

I like the little Pterosaur drones. I shall call them Bubo.

Faelrin

I like that the armor also works as a mechanical creature of sorts. Dig the little robo pterosaur too. The coloration of the armor also reminds me of those old sci fi shooter games I'd play back in the day like R-Type, Axelay, etc. This is definitely by far David's most ambitious project yet, since BotM was in its first ever campaign.

Can't wait to support him in this endeavor, and get some cool stuff out of it for my own collection.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

So if we have Tech Clan armour converting into high-tech vehicles and Fire Clan armour converting into robotic beasts, whatever will the Desert and Water Clan armour convert into?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

The drones are kind of cool-looking, but I don't personally want them. If any of these came with an actual in-scale small pterosaur, on the other hand...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

what Haliocheres said.   :)

suspsy

David has teased a new dragon, one with ginormous wings! I am most curious to see how they will be engineered. I still have no interest in dragon figures, but the same engineering could be used on pterosaurs!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: