News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: Faelrin on November 19, 2022, 12:42:01 PMIf it is that big that would be a bummer for me. Guess there's still the smaller Dinozoo one if still being produced.
Same. I don't want a Stegouros towering over my collection, as funny as that would be.

Another thing, I feel as though the Stegouros and Koolasuchus (although we don't know the scale yet) seems like not enough for this year's lineup?

ceratopsian

But won't two more make eleven models? That seems a good number under current conditions.

JimoAi

Quote from: ceratopsian on November 19, 2022, 01:31:39 PMBut won't two more make eleven models? That seems a good number under current conditions.
It's 10...

Faelrin

A little bit more then last year's lineup of 8 (if counting the Australian exclusive Triceratops repaint). Honestly just feels a little incomplete if we don't get the yearly Cenozoic (and maybe pterosaur) figure(s), but otherwise it's been a pretty good roster so far.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Bread on November 19, 2022, 12:51:23 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on November 19, 2022, 12:42:01 PMIf it is that big that would be a bummer for me. Guess there's still the smaller Dinozoo one if still being produced.
Same. I don't want a Stegouros towering over my collection, as funny as that would be.

Paleokhris, the guy who sculpted the Dinozoo one, has also released an updated version of his Stegouros in both 1/20 and 1/35 scale (bottom pic). He's currently selling it in a 1/35th scale, 5-piece set with the following species:
- Stegouros 7cm.
- Jakapil 7cm.
- Silesaurid 7cm.
- Chilesaurus 10cm. x 2

I'm still on the fence on such a big Stegouros from CollectA, but we'll see how nice the sculpt is before making any final decisions.

Dusty Wren

avatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus also just released a very nice Stegouros in his Etsy shop, at 1:40, 1:20, and 1:12 scale. Much as I'd like a CollectA Stegouros, 1:6 is going to be way too big for me.
Check out my customs thread!

Duna

Why the only figure I'm interested in from Collecta is going to be SO LARGE!!  :-[  I didn't get the Protoceratops because of this, either ...

Let's cross my fingers for Koolasuchus ...

Flaffy

Quote from: Dusty Wren on November 19, 2022, 02:32:10 PMavatar_Kayakasaurus @Kayakasaurus also just released a very nice Stegouros in his Etsy shop, at 1:40, 1:20, and 1:12 scale. Much as I'd like a CollectA Stegouros, 1:6 is going to be way too big for me.

Oooh! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how Kayakasaurus's one compares to Paleokhris's. One thing I notice that's missing on Kayakasaurus's version is the lack of limb osteoderms, but that could also be the pictures not picking up on this detail.

It's really cool how far 3D scanning and printing technology has come. Really opens the door for smaller artists to produce and sell their sculpts in small batches without the high start-up costs and risks of traditional PVC moulding. And improves upon silicone resin moulding by not having to worry about the fragile silicone dissintegrating over time, affecting the quality and clarity of the final product.

Concavenator

Some insights on to what species the CollectA figure represents... Based on what CollectA said:

QuoteA model of a primitive, Triassic ichthyosaur, potentially the largest marine reptile known from the fossil record.

It's clear they went for the largest species: Shonisaurus sikkaniensis. No, I didn't mistake the genus name.  ;) I've done some research and that species has experienced a history of being grouped in and out of the Shastasaurus and Shonisaurus genera, with the latest phylogenetic analysis classifying it as a species (the largest one) of Shonisaurus. So if any of you were looking for a Shonisaurus figure, this is your chance. I wish CollectA had done this research before naming the figure, but it's not a big deal I would say.

When it comes to the Stegouros, I too think I will be passing on it if it's going to be that big. I'd prefer to get the one by Kayakasaurus or Paleokhris, even if those 2 would end up being more expensive. Or wait for a smaller version by Safari or anyone else.

Flaffy

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 19, 2022, 04:29:05 PMSome insights on to what species the CollectA figure represents... Based on what CollectA said:

QuoteA model of a primitive, Triassic ichthyosaur, potentially the largest marine reptile known from the fossil record.

It's clear they went for the largest species: Shonisaurus sikkaniensis. No, I didn't mistake the genus name.  ;) I've done some research and that species has experienced a history of being grouped in and out of the Shastasaurus and Shonisaurus genera, with the latest phylogenetic analysis classifying it as a species (the largest one) of Shonisaurus. So if any of you were looking for a Shonisaurus figure, this is your chance. I wish CollectA had done this research before naming the figure, but it's not a big deal I would say.

The issue is Shastasaurus and Shonisaurus had markedly different proportions and anatomy. The former being a much more lithe creature, and the latter having it's infamous beer-gut. They are not interchangeable.

Halichoeres

This is a great lineup. The Mosasaurus is big improvement on the 2014 model, which I thought was good but imperfect. The soft tissue looks much better, and so do the proportions. As much as I would have liked one of the less frequently made mosasaurs (Prognathodon, Kaikaifilu), this is probably the best exemplar of Mosasaurus in particular. The Shastasaurus will be a welcome replacement for Sonokong's suspiciously mosasaur-esque version. (And despite CollectA's "lore," I think it's clearly a better match for Shastasaurus than Shonisaurus)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PrimevalRaptor

The old Deluxe Mosasaurus was really good already but man is this an improvement, nice and bulky. Shastasaurus is also very welcome, more ichthyosaurs and especially Triassic ones are always great to see (still waiting for a Cymbospondylus or an updated Shonisaurus)

Loon

These two are very exciting, I have to admit. I don't know what it is, but next year's releases have reminded me a lot of CollectA stuff from the mid-2010s. There's something about the roundness of the details on the Mosasaurus and the more sensible color schemes things like the Hadrosaurus that really bring those figures to mind.

I missed the news about the next two releases. If we're really getting a Koolasuchus, I'm stoked.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Flaffy on November 19, 2022, 02:22:16 PM
Quote from: Bread on November 19, 2022, 12:51:23 PM

Paleokhris, the guy who sculpted the Dinozoo one, has also released an updated version of his Stegouros in both 1/20 and 1/35 scale (bottom pic). He's currently selling it in a 1/35th scale, 5-piece set with the following species:
- Stegouros 7cm.
- Jakapil 7cm.
- Silesaurid 7cm.
- Chilesaurus 10cm. x 2

Whoa, where can I find these?

Flaffy

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on November 20, 2022, 03:30:08 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on November 19, 2022, 02:22:16 PMPaleokhris, the guy who sculpted the Dinozoo one, has also released an updated version of his Stegouros in both 1/20 and 1/35 scale (bottom pic). He's currently selling it in a 1/35th scale, 5-piece set with the following species:
- Stegouros 7cm.
- Jakapil 7cm.
- Silesaurid 7cm.
- Chilesaurus 10cm. x 2

Whoa, where can I find these?

Here's Paleokhris's instagram: https://instagram.com/paleokhris?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The set only costs $35. So you're getting a pretty good deal for some nice figures.

SidB

I'm going to check these out. 1/35 ... perfect.

suspsy

Given how tiny Stegouros was in life, I prefer a Deluxe-sized one that can do proper justice to its unusual appearance. Scale has never been much of an issue for me.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy thank you!

I knew about those but I was waiting on CollectA's reveal to really decide. Personally, I just want the Stegouros, not the entire lot of figures.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on November 20, 2022, 01:13:28 PMI'm going to check these out. 1/35 ... perfect.

Beats Papo's Chilesaurus too IMO. Poses can make or break a figure; and in the Papo Chilesaurus's case, the awkward pose definitely ruins it for me.

Quote from: Bread on November 20, 2022, 01:41:05 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy thank you!

I knew about those but I was waiting on CollectA's reveal to really decide. Personally, I just want the Stegouros, not the entire lot of figures.

I'm sure Paleokhris can work something out. Just message him to double check if you're interested.
FYI he also sells the Stegouros in a two-pack with the Jakapi for like $40 or something, at 1:20 scale.

Bread

Quote from: Flaffy on November 20, 2022, 01:45:09 PM
Quote from: Bread on November 20, 2022, 01:41:05 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy thank you!

I'm sure Paleokhris can work something out. Just message him to double check if you're interested.
FYI he also sells the Stegouros in a two-pack with the Jakapi for like $40 or something, at 1:20 scale.
Oh yeah I am sure! Again, I am just waiting on CollectA's reveal until I fully decide what to do.

Plus, Paleokhris knows I am waiting for him to finalize a few of his unreleased models. >:D

Also, thank you to those who provided info regarding CollectA's reveals. To me, it has felt CollectA has pumped out a few that are just forgotten, like the Triceratops and the other hadrosaur that had a similar color scheme to the Fuikisaurus. I forgot the name, my apologies.

Anyways, I am just waiting on the Koolasuchus. Probably my most anticipated model release of the year.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: