News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva’s Cyberzoic Series

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2021, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on November 10, 2022, 06:08:33 PMGiven the discovery of more Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis remains (discussed here) and that this species is currently only known from skull material, I think it would be a good idea if David held off on making a Pachycephalosaurus figure (especially since apparently it hasn't been designed yet) at least until that information is published and described. Removing it or replacing it with another species (if he wants to make a pachycephalosaurid anyways there's Stegoceras) would be a better choice, at least in the meantime. Otherwise, there's the possibility of it ending up as another Eotyrannus case which could easily be avoided in this case.

Update: I passed on the news to David. Based on what he said to me, replacing the species or removing it is apparently not an option, he told me he would tell Jake before sculpting it. I appreciate it, but not sure if that will help at all, considering it's pretty sure by the time he gets to it we will still be in the dark about what those Pachycephalosaurus remains are. Doesn't make sense if you ask me...

Faelrin

Maybe David and Jake could reach out to those aware of the new material on the chance they could get access to it for the sculpt in time?

Edit: Jake is also on the Saurian game team. I imagine that info would be helpful for there as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

yeah it's awkward timing for both Eotyrannus and Pachycephalosaurus.  In both cases if the new information had just come out a bit earlier...

However, that's the name of the game in this hobby; things are constantly in flux as new information and discoveries and analysis comes along.  There's nothing to say that the external appearance of Pachycephalosaurus will change much anyway; the new discovery may just confirm what was already suspected, externally at least.

suspsy

Frankly, I don't believe David should be expected to put his plans on hold just in case this upcoming study or that one proves something is off about one of his designs. That's not the way to run a successful business. No toy company works that way. No museum works that way either. That's just the way paleontology is. As Thomas Holtz famously once noted, "100% of paleoart is wrong anyway, it's just a matter of to what degree." The Cyberzoic Pachycephalosaurus will be a superb toy regardless. 
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: Faelrin on November 17, 2022, 12:34:19 AMMaybe David and Jake could reach out to those aware of the new material on the chance they could get access to it for the sculpt in time?

That would be a good idea!

Quote from: andrewsaurus on November 17, 2022, 12:56:29 AMyeah it's awkward timing for both Eotyrannus and Pachycephalosaurus.  In both cases if the new information had just come out a bit earlier...

This Pachycephalosaurus case is different from the Eotyrannus', the latter was long completed by the time the news came. And yet David managed to at least modify the sculpt to some degree (the hands) for it to hold up better. This Pachycephalosaurus hasn't even been designed yet.

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2022, 01:03:13 AMFrankly, I don't believe David should be expected to put his plans on hold just in case this upcoming study or that one proves something is off about one of his designs. That's not the way to run a successful business. No toy company works that way. No museum works that way either. That's just the way paleontology is. As Thomas Holtz famously once noted, "100% of paleoart is wrong anyway, it's just a matter of to what degree." The Cyberzoic Pachycephalosaurus will be a superb toy regardless.

Again, this case is different than the Eotyrannus'. It's not a case of a design turning outdated (that's a bummer, but it can't be helped), it's a case of going ahead with releasing a figure of an animal currently only known from its skull knowing there is a paper expected to be released that includes information from, according to the news "a well-preserved Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis specimen". This case can be helped, and going ahead being aware of these news is simply not a smart decision, no matter how you look at it. Granted, we can't say for sure the appearance of Pachycephalosaurus will change after that paper, but the possibility is there and if it does, the figure will turn out to be outdated. Yes, a superb figure like all BotM, but still outdated (and it could've been helped). Would you still buy it knowing it's outdated? That's up to you. Maybe you will. Probably a lot of people will buy it regardless. But there will also be people who won't buy it due to it becoming outdated. Whereas if he had that info and had considered it for the design of the figure, the people who wanted it just because it's a good figure will still buy it and the people who care about their figures being up to date will also buy it, unlike the previous case. Common sense. This would be fixed if they somehow got access to that unpublished info as avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin suggests. Otherwise sorry, but I don't see how replacing it in the meantime with some other species David intended to release later anyways (Suchomimus, Amargasaurus, Parasaurolophus or Deinonychus) would be a bad idea.

suspsy

Except there's no indication whatsoever that said paper will reveal that the appearance of Pachycephalosaurus was radically different from how it is currently perceived. Moreover, there is no indication as to when the paper will be published. "Upcoming" is an irritatingly vague and elastic term in paleontology. It can mean anything from next week to next year or even in some cases, next decade. It is therefore unreasonable and unrealistic for David Silva to halt any part of his ongoing project.

andrewsaurus rex

I agree totally.  Also, there have no doubt already been plans laid for the production of a Pachycephalosaurus that go beyond just the sculpting.  I'm sure if David could substitute something else for it he would.  Afterall, he wants the figure to sell.  If it's horribly out of date by the time it hits the shelves, that could adversely effect sales.  So if he could replace it with something else he would, i'm sure.   However, unless Pachycephalosaurus turns out to have a hump on its back or a club tail, I doubt the body will be much different from what we're used to seeing.  And if it is, that's what sculpy is for.  :)

andrewsaurus rex

are there any pterosaurs planned for the Cyberzoic series?  A Quetzalcoatlus perhaps?  :)

suspsy

Behold the Tech Clan Ceratosaurus decked out in its transforming armour!

Sim

I hope to see some more colouration progress soon, either on prototypes or figure concept art.

Quote from: andrewsaurus on November 18, 2022, 06:57:48 PMare there any pterosaurs planned for the Cyberzoic series?  A Quetzalcoatlus perhaps?  :)
To Quetzalcoatlus, oh please no!  That thing is so overrated.  However, I would agree with you and Halichoeres on wanting smaller pterosaurs!  Rhamphorhynchus and Scaphognathus would be the ones I'd like very much!

Sim

Oh I forgot to say that David has said pterosaurs are possible for Cyberzoic!

Eatmycar

I hope we stay away from obscure and fragmentary animals for Cyberzoic, frankly. The current roster lacks any hadrosaurs for instance... I don't think a super obscure pterosaur will make good sales to a wider audience. It's clear Cyberzoic is shooting for an audience that includes more than the dinosaur community, and a more popular genera is a safer bet.

Quetz and Pteranodon make sense, maybe Dimorphodon? But even those are very small creatures, I can't imagine Dave will opt to make such small pterosaurs at 1/18 scale.

suspsy

If any pterosaurs do show up in Cyberzoic, they probably will be the biggest ones like Quetzalcoatlus or Hatzegopteryx so that a human figure can ride on its back, or perhaps suspended underneath like with the Rulon Quetzalcoatlus.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Eatmycar on November 23, 2022, 06:12:52 AMQuetz and Pteranodon make sense, maybe Dimorphodon? But even those are very small creatures, I can't imagine Dave will opt to make such small pterosaurs at 1/18 scale.
I don't think Dimorpohodon is TOO small; it and Rhamphorhynchus still had wingspans of 4-6 feet, so they'd be similar in size to the 1:18 dromaeosaurs.
Sure, that's probably not as bankable as something the size of a Quetz; but I think it could be within the realm of possibility.

Halichoeres

Something Rhamphorhynchus-sized would work as an accessory, but you certainly couldn't use it as a steed. Meter-plus wingspan, sure, but fold the wings up and you have an animal the size of a cat.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Eatmycar on November 23, 2022, 06:12:52 AMI hope we stay away from obscure and fragmentary animals for Cyberzoic, frankly. The current roster lacks any hadrosaurs for instance... I don't think a super obscure pterosaur will make good sales to a wider audience. It's clear Cyberzoic is shooting for an audience that includes more than the dinosaur community, and a more popular genera is a safer bet.

Quetz and Pteranodon make sense, maybe Dimorphodon? But even those are very small creatures, I can't imagine Dave will opt to make such small pterosaurs at 1/18 scale.

You might be pleased to know David has said Parasaurolophus has high priority for the second round of Cyberzoic figures, and that he plans to make hadrosaurs for Cyberzoic if the first series is successful.

Rhamphorhynchus isn't obscure, it's known from complete skeletons as well as specimens that preserve the wing membrane and tail crests, and according to Mark Witton is the best-known pterosaur from fossils.  Another thing about Rhamphorhynchus is that most long-tailed pterosaur reconstructions have their tail crests based on those of Rhamphorhynchus as the species they represent don't have the crests preserved.  That includes Dimorphodon.
Scaphognathus is obscure but it deserves more attention, being known from all its skeleton, being the first pterosaur found to have pycnofibers and just looking awesome and like the most dangerous pterosaur.  If Jurassic World had picked Scaphognathus instead of the weaker-jawed Dimorphodon, perhaps a good Scaphognathus toy would exist...  Currently there is no figure of Scaphognathus, and no accurate figure of Rhamphorhynchus.  Rhamphorhynchus was also in the Dino-riders toy series, so I think it could be done for Cyberzoic.

I think Rhamphorhynchus and Scaphognathus would make appealing figures due to their interesting anatomy, and in Rhamphorhynchus's case due to how iconic it is too.  I would be interested in a Dimorphodon too, but not as much as the two previously mentioned pterosaurs and I wouldn't like to see Dimorphodon get made instead of the other two yet again.  I would also dislike Quetzalcoatlus getting even more attention than it already has while Rhamphorhynchus and Scaphognathus continue getting neglected.  Also, you know Quetzalcoatlus northropi is only known from fragments?

Regarding Pteranodon, although I tend to prefer long-tailed pterosaurs to short-tailed ones, I would be interested in a Cyberzoic Pteranodon longiceps and Pteranodon sternbergi.  I think they could share everything except for the crest.  I wonder if they would be big enough to allow a human to ride on them?  I think they might be, and I would much prefer them than Quetzalcoatlus northropi and Hatzegopteryx, both of which are only known from fragments.

Faelrin

I would certainly be interested in smaller pterosaurs like Dimorphodon, Rhamphorhynchus, etc, in the form of accessories or a multipack of them (like the BotM nestlings).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Pteranodon isn't anywhere near large enough for a human to ride on, not even a child.

The only pterosaurs that would actually work as mounts are Quetzalcoatlus, Hatzegopteryx, and Arambourgiana. The rest are simply too small.

andrewsaurus rex

well then bring 'em on!  I'll take one of each. 

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on November 23, 2022, 09:42:40 PMI would certainly be interested in smaller pterosaurs like Dimorphodon, Rhamphorhynchus, etc, in the form of accessories or a multipack of them (like the BotM nestlings).

Yeah, this would be the ideal format for me. I'm pretty unlikely to buy a BotM or Cyberzoic azhdarchid.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: