News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 11, 2023, 11:06:43 AMSenSen's works are always so convincing and life-like.  I'm hoping he continues doing several small-size models a year.
Let's hope together  :))

SidB

Quote from: SenSx on January 11, 2023, 08:57:05 AMGuys I'm not getting tired of watching all those PNSO Suchomimus pics, can't wait to have mine, we finally got a good Suchomimus figure it took ages...

SidB=> I love your diorama as well, there is no way I could do that at my place and still have room for all my figures  ;D

Thanks, avatar_SenSx @SenSx . FYI, to accommodate the dioramas, of which there are a dozen plus, I had to relegate all the books that the bookcase formerly housed to a back room and install shelves on the far side of the unit and adjacent to and on the nearby wall. The biggest challenge was not to do all of this at once, so as to avoid panicking my wife! I had to get her used to the concept little by little. So far, so good, more or less.

Sim

Yesterday I received the biggest box of prehistoric animal figures I've ever gotten.  It mostly contained PNSO figures.  Inside was the following:

1. PNSO Styracosaurus, a simply excellent figure.  It replaces the Favorite soft model series 2 Styracosaurus in my collection.

2. Safari 2019 Pteranodon, yes I finally bought a short-tailed pterosaur figure even while I'm still waiting for a good Rhamphorhynchus figure.  I liked it, but then I discovered it had a black line on the feathered part of the rear head and it was noticeable enough that I won't be keeping this figure.  I'm also not going to get a replacement.  I really hope PNSO starts making pterosaurs for their medium-sized line.  I'd love to have a Rhamphorhynchus by PNSO but also a Pteranodon longiceps.

3. PNSO Dakosaurus, at first it looked okay.  It was from a newer batch, I think, since the teeth's white wasn't spilling onto the skin.  So far so good, but then I noticed stripes were painted only on one side of the lateral tail.  And when I opened its mouth the connective tissue didn't fit in its slot and was instead bent into the middle of the mouth.  I didn't keep this figure.  I'm happy with my Safari Dakosaurus and won't be getting a replacement for the PNSO version.

4. PNSO Tylosaurus, after the previous two disappointing figures, I didn't know what to expect.  When I took the PNSO Tylosaurus out of its box I was struck by how amazing it is.  I have never felt so much admiration for a figure.  The PNSO Tylosaurus is sublime.  The scales on it are so fine they are almost invisible.  The seam is not very noticeable.  The size is excellent, what I'd want for a Tylosaurus figure.  The colouration is pleasing.  The lack of articulated jaw is fine.  And it has lips, it's nice to see a lipped PNSO figure again!
Now that I have the PNSO Tylosaurus I know that video reviews often zoomed in to the figure making it look worse.  The Tylo is just amazing in person.  The small toothless area at the front of the snout is not the inaccuracy I initially thought it was, as Leyster has led me to see there are Tylosaurus specimens with that area reduced like on the PNSO figure.  I think everyone interested in prehistoric reptiles would benefit from having this figure, it's that good.  I'm very happy with the PNSO Tylosaurus.

5. PNSO Sinraptor, its colouration is outstanding.

6. PNSO Sinoceratops, and here we have another disappointing figure.  I don't know why on earth PNSO covered its head with gloss!  It isn't even all the head, the lower jaw doesn't have gloss on it.  It just looks bizarre!  I was hoping it would replace my Favorite Sinoceratops but it seems that won't be happening now.

7. PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus, after the Sinoceratops I was expecting to be disappointed by its "companion piece" the Zhuchengtyrannus.  I wasn't fond of its colouration as seen in reviews.  I wasn't expecting what happened when I unboxed this figure.  The PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus is really good.  The legs are longer than what I'm used to, which is consistent with unpublished findings on Zhuchengtyrannus.  I don't know if mine is from a newer batch, its colouration looks like what I saw in the pre-release images of it, not that strange green I saw other people having.  I'm very happy with the PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus and I'm glad I bought it.  I wasn't expecting to be so pleased by it, also due to how fragmentary it is.  It replaces my Favorite Zhuchengtyrannus AND Sinoceratops.  It's that good that it raised the standard of figures in my collection.

There's three more figures which I haven't taken out of the box yet, and I look forward to doing that soon!

Leyster

avatar_Sim @Sim  could you perhaps post a picture of your Zhuchengtyrannus? I think the news on the colouration might be interesting for many.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Faelrin

Got an exciting thing come in yesterday. After many years of wanting these, I finally have them. The rare late 90's Play Visions Prehistoric Amphibians set. Someone on instagram informed me they were for sale on ebay (still some sets left!) on a comment about a PNSO Platyhystrix post. Very glad to have all these little dudes. I was mostly interested in four of them, but it was a better deal to go for all of them. It also cost me a pretty penny, but some funds on my card helped to offset it. I'll have some size comparisons posted in the size comparison thread soon. Edit: Comparisons up now. See here.

Unfortunately I don't have any of my Kaiyodo figures on hand with them all in storage atm (pre-2022 releases), such as my Acanthostega, Diplocaulus, Eryops, and Ichthyostega to compare them with. At least they are around the same size give or take, so they should display and fit alongside them very well.

One more thing, in case anyone recalls this old thread of mine on a book series, I will be reviving it soon with some new comparison images, as the second book in the series had illustrations that some of the Play Visions figures were based directly on, specifically the Eryops, Platyhystrix, and Triadobatrachus.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Leyster, I'm guessing you meant me and not SidB.  I need to find an image hosting website first of all.  I'm thinking of taking photos of my figures.  If I do that I'll be sure to link you to a photo of my Zhuchengtyrannus.  I haven't forgotten another member wanted to see my PNSO Tarbosaurus too.

Leyster

avatar_Sim @Sim yeah sorry, wrong . @. Flickr is great btw.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

Thanks, I was thinking of going for Flickr, it's good to have your opinion on it. :)

Pliosaurking

Belated Christmas gift, the beautiful PNSO Deinocherius!
What a magnificent figure, this is their best figure to date in my eyes, and definitely the best PNSO figure I currently own. The paint job is natural but flashy at the same time, and the detail is over the moon! They knocked this one straight out of the park!

Eocarcharia

The T. rex has landed!
Plus the Torosaurus and Kosmoceratops I ordered on Black Friday were ready to go too.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on January 13, 2023, 06:05:32 PMI need to find an image hosting website first of all.  I'm thinking of taking photos of my figures.

It's very easy to post pics here. For example, I use Postimages.

Using the aforementioned site, here's how it works:

1) You download whatever image you want to post onto your device (or just take a photo).
2) Press on "Choose images" and you choose the pic/s you want to post.
3) You copy the "direct link"
4) Paste that link here:
5) Et voilĂ 

Sim

Thanks Concavenator! :)

I unpacked the remaining models from the big box I received!  The models inside were:

1. PNSO Himalayasaurus.  I got this one as its appearance is based on Cymbospondylus petrinus, my favorite ichthyosaur.  While there isn't a Cymbospondylus figure, this Himalayasaurus is a nice replacement.  It's odd though that PNSO based the model and some artwork on Cymbospondylus, and some other artwork and a skeletal of Himalayasaurus on Shonisaurus.  The artwork based on Cymbospondylus depicts Himalayasaurus preying on Cymbospondylus as well...  PNSO's mini Himalayasaurus was based on Shonisaurus too...  It's all a bit weird to me and I would have preferred a Cymbospondylus figure, but I'm happy with the PNSO Himalayasaurus.  It's got a nice shimmering finish which is a pleasure to look at.

2. PNSO Acrocanthosaurus.  This was the figure I was most excited about.  I guess I actually do tend to like allosauroids, I just got very annoyed by how often they were being made while other groups weren't being made in the past.  I like Acrocanthosaurus, and like Tylosaurus I was wanting a nice big figure of it.  The PNSO version is it.  I'm amazed at how bad the angle of the pre-release images was, the actual figure has a head and tail that are the correct size.  It's an impressive figure and I'm very happy to have it.  I was initially put off by the rings of scales around its eyes, but the figure is fine in person.  It was good that I got past that.

3. PNSO 2021 Triceratops.  The envelope full of paper that comes with this figure is heavier than some heavy figures I have...  An odd thing about this figure is its upper beak creates resistance against the lower beak when I try opening and closing its mouth.  I can open and close it but I have to carefully make the lower beak move past the upper beak each time.  Maybe it was because it was late at night when I took this figure out of its box that I didn't feel as excited about this one as with most of the other figures.  Or maybe it's the Triceratops's dull colouration...  It's extremely well sculpted though and I need to look at this figure again because I think I haven't fully appreciated it.

Kei

Big ole Deinosuchus just rocks up in front of my house today. He even got a friend . . .well half of a friend. .

SidB

Splendid piece, avatar_Kei @Kei , though we DO value friendship, that might be a type of friendship not worth the price of admission!

Thialfi

Quote from: Kei on January 20, 2023, 01:28:34 PM

Big ole Deinosuchus just rocks up in front of my house today. He even got a friend . . .well half of a friend. .
Beautiful, congratulations!

I am so tempted by this beauty, but I only have space for one big ass croc/alli/caiman and with the upcoming Purussaurus and Sarcosuchus I guess I have to hold out a bit..

Fembrogon

In anticipation of the tyrannosaurs arriving, I went ahead and ordered some additional "Beasts", which arrived today!

The size of the ceratopsians is really something, and these are among the smaller ones! I'm also looking forward to posing the (subadult) Trike with the 1:35 T.rex.
Isn't the Trike supposed to come with a spare set of horns, though? ...Or am I misremembering?

Pliosaurking

Quote from: Fembrogon on January 23, 2023, 09:31:42 PMIn anticipation of the tyrannosaurs arriving, I went ahead and ordered some additional "Beasts", which arrived today!

The size of the ceratopsians is really something, and these are among the smaller ones! I'm also looking forward to posing the (subadult) Trike with the 1:35 T.rex.
Isn't the Trike supposed to come with a spare set of horns, though? ...Or am I misremembering?
Great haul!
Got to get myself that subadult trike at some point!
Also that is the Adult Trike that you're thinking about, the subadult only has the single pair.

Pliosaurking

Got some new Jurassic figures tonight, the Dsungariptreus and Genyodectes!
They are both some of the better figures from dominion in my eyes, and have fairly solid paint and sculpts.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Pliosaurking on January 24, 2023, 12:09:16 AMGreat haul!
Got to get myself that subadult trike at some point!
Also that is the Adult Trike that you're thinking about, the subadult only has the single pair.
Ah, thanks for the clarification! Curious that the large one includes alternate horns but the small one doesn't.

SidB

Something not so new to the market, from the (infamous?) epoch of Geoworld releases, specifically their short-lived line of prehistoric mammals. I don't have any of their dinosaurs, as I limit myself to better quality figures, but their Cenozoic mammal line contains several unique figures like these two below. They are almost impossible to get hold of, rarely appearing on eBay. I don't think too many were produced.

The Geoworld Embolotherium (nominally 1/25), not a bad looking figure at all, IMO:

The Embolotherium with and compared to Safari's fine Megacerops:

The Geoworld Eobasileus at 1/18. Not the prettiest critter, actually copied off an outdoor figure in a California park (check Eobasileus, images, on Google). Copying is something for which Geoworld was infamous, of course). Possibly a candidate for a substantial modification and repaint at some point:

The Eobasileus and Safari's Uintatherium:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: