You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleona's Favorites (restart on pg 3)

Started by Paleona, June 25, 2012, 10:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleona

Thanks, guys!

Haha, yes, Sauropelta needed a little help climbing down xD His relatives must not have been so lucky!

Paleona

2022 edit: I'm removing all the broken images from this thread and will be posting new photos soon. Probably not of ALL my childhood dinosaurs, but ones I find interesting

Hey everyone, thought I would start posting some new photos of my stuff~ I collect other non-dinosaur things, as well, so not everything is displayed, and a big majority of what I do own is from my childhood. I enjoy a wide variety of dinosaur related items, though! I'm a big fan of Jurassic Park (the first film, primarily), but I also really love seeing up-to-date depictions, too. I tend to get pretty nostalgic for dino stuff from the 80's and 90's, as well, so I'm by no means a huge stickler for accuracy all of the time.

To start off, here's a little JP display I put together recently:

The original Kenner raptor was one of my most loved toys from my childhood, so they definitely deserved a space, but I've also put out the baby T. rex from the Lost World line, too, because, well... it's adorable <3

The Bull T. rex is another favorite of mine, as well as the Parasaurolophus. (Paras are one of my favorite dinosaurs in general, if my avatar didn't hint at that ;))

I've got a lot more JP related toys packed away, including the compound and LW trailer in their original boxes. Nearly all of it is from my childhood... I really was spoiled.

Jurassic Park aside, here are the figures I keep displayed:

And my most recent additions, including...

Safari Ltd. Deinocheirus

Beasts of the Mesozoic Dromaeosaurus

Mattel JW:FK Triceratops

And the Walmart exclusive Battle Damage Roarin' Super Colossal Tyrannosaurus rex! (which I am completely smitten with; I take silly photos with it all the time.) <33

To wrap this up, here's a shot of the big box of various dinos from my childhood. It's mostly Imperials, Tyco, random chinasaurs, and Playskool Definitely Dinosaurs. I'd really like to write some reviews for the latter!

Jose S.M.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your new Paleona acquisitions and I have to affirm, like other members of the forum, that your photographs are very artistic.

Paleona

Thank you, Jose and Shonisaurus~! I have a lot of fun taking photos of this stuff  ^-^

Also, wow! I have no plans of ever selling anything from my collection, but sometimes I like to look things up on eBay to see how much they're going for. I had no idea the JP "Showdown Assault" Allosaurus had skyrocketed so much in price! :0 I'm so glad I bought mine a few years ago... it's such a cool figure. If anyone is on the lookout for one, I hope the price goes down a bit soon! :-[

suspsy

The Tyco page could certainly use any assistance you can lend in bringing it closer to completion! I find it amazing how the Diplodocus still has yet to be reviewed!

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5021.0
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Paleona

Quote from: suspsy on May 25, 2018, 01:48:22 AM
The Tyco page could certainly use any assistance you can lend in bringing it closer to completion! I find it amazing how the Diplodocus still has yet to be reviewed!

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5021.0

I wouldn't mind reviewing it :) (Though, I have the Smithsonian release, and it was marketed as Apatosaurus? (http://www.dinoridersworld.com/Toys/Smithsonian%20Diplodocus.jpg)
The Tyco page already has an Apatosaurus, though, so should it be reviewed as Diplodocus? ???
(I just saw the post regarding guest reviews- I suppose I'll wait and send in an email with my review requests once that's set up)

Halichoeres

Nice collection! I'd love to see your DD and Tyco reviews.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Paleona

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 25, 2018, 06:09:04 PM
Nice collection! I'd love to see your DD and Tyco reviews.

Thanks! I'll begin working on some more reviews when my requests get accepted. I don't imagine the Definitely Dinosaurs line is loved by too many, haha, but they're fun, nostalgic toys, I think ^-^

Paleona

I've been in the mood to look through my dinosaur toys lately, so I thought I'd refresh this thread a bit. All the old, broken photos have been removed, so we're starting off fresh!

I don't actively collect dinosaurs, but I've accumulated quite a lot over the years. I'm a bit picky about what I buy, so new things are kind of few and far between, but I've got a lot of childhood stuff, as well.

My most recent get is actually a little miniature from the JW Captivz line - those little "blind box" eggs. I like to buy myself small "treats" like this while out shopping sometimes- anyone else do something similar? Anyway, I pulled this Brachiosaurus and it's actually pretty nice!

I've taken quite a liking to miniatures, actually! Let's take a look at my Dino Brites from my childhood that I recently cleaned up ^-^ (Tagging avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon since you mentioned you'd like to see more pics of these!)

That yellow rex there at the end looks particularly pleased with themselves, lol. There are some sculpts that I don't own, so there's definitely more of these out there. Pretty charming and SUPER 80's looking!

I'll take some new pics of my old Micro Machines minis soon~

Fembrogon

Thanks for the pictures! Those Dino Brites are definitely cute, and quite unlike any other toys I can think of.

Paleona

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 20, 2022, 11:43:36 PM
Thanks for the pictures! Those Dino Brites are definitely cute, and quite unlike any other toys I can think of.

No problem! They're pretty unique and fun! I'd say they're made out of like a rubber material.

Next I wanted to share pics of my Micro Machines dinosaurs from the 1998 National Geographic Collection. There were 6 sets of 3 figures each- I have all of them, except for the first set that had fossil figures. Many of them have hinges at the legs and other small points of articulation, though it's not really a big deal. Lots of big pictures ahead!

set #2 Jurassic (Compsognathus, Camptosaurus, Stegosaurus)

set #3 Jurassic (Allosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Diplodocus)

set #4 Cretaceous (Pachycephalosaurus, Euoplocephalus, Brachiosaurus) Why Brachio is in a Cretaceous set, I don't know lol

set #5 Cretaceous (Tyrannosaurus, Styracosaurus, Deinonychus)

set #6 Cretaceous (Troodon, Triceratops, Spinosaurus)

Pretty nicely detailed set, overall! My favorites are definitely the colorful Compsognathus and Styracosaurus. I will say that Camptosaurus's pose is... unfortunate, if you catch my drift, lol.

I'd be interested in getting some more minis eventually- what sets are your favorites? I only really know of Kaiyodo releasing nice quality/detailed minis, but are there others I should know about?

Paleona

Here's the oldest dinosaur toy I own. Found tucked away at an estate sale many years ago - the small version of the SRG Tyrannosaurus. The SRG dinosaurs are from the late 1940's / early 1950's (from the info I could find online about them). This old man is covered in patina and I wonder what sorts of adventures he had back in the day...

This is a nice little figure to hold, because it has a nice weight to it (being metal and all). It kind of looks like he's grinning, don't you think? There's a modern monster behind him in this photo, though- a Mattel Super Colossal rex, haha

Dusty Wren

The details and paint jobs on those Micro Machine dinos are actually quite nice! I agree that the Compsognathus is a stand out, though I also like that cute little Pachycephalosaurus. The SRG Tyrannosaurus is such a cool find, too. His grin and outstretched arms are super charming.

If you're looking for other mini sets, the recent Qualia set was a good one. I ended up getting just the Lambeosaurus and the Triceratops, but now I kinda wish I got the whole set.
Check out my customs thread!

Paleona

Quote from: Dusty Wren on March 21, 2022, 07:48:46 PM
The details and paint jobs on those Micro Machine dinos are actually quite nice! I agree that the Compsognathus is a stand out, though I also like that cute little Pachycephalosaurus. The SRG Tyrannosaurus is such a cool find, too. His grin and outstretched arms are super charming.

If you're looking for other mini sets, the recent Qualia set was a good one. I ended up getting just the Lambeosaurus and the Triceratops, but now I kinda wish I got the whole set.

Thanks for the recommendation! The resting Triceratops from that set looks particularly nice :')

Paleona

Bought myself a AAA Parasaurolophus recently - I think it really is a beautiful model. Somehow I never owned any AAA dinos when I was a kid, but I've had my eye on this one for some time. Paras have always been a favorite of mine and this one is infinitely more appealing than my actual childhood Parasaurolophus- the alien-like Larami toy, haha (see below)

Here she is with others of her kind (Larami, Playskool Definitely Dinosaurs, Safari Ltd. Wild Safari, Terra by Battat)

It's fun to see how this animal has been represented over the years. Eventually I'd like to get my hands on the PNSO model or something else more up to date.

SidB

I really appreciate the nostalgia tour, avatar_Paleona @Paleona .

Paleona

Hey all, continuing on my sudden love of miniatures, I recently bought a whole bunch of the JP Anniversary eggs. I managed to get all of the first half of the wave, except for the Velociraptor. These little figures are surprisingly well detailed and painted. My personal favorites are Rexy and the raptor hatchling- it's really ugly, but I like it a lot! You can remove them from the egg and they're fully sculpted.

I've been digging around my childhood things some more and photographed this small assortment of guys:

I really like the lime green Marx Ankylosaurus bootleg! Also, there's something satisfying about putting small toys like this in jars, haha

I would love to get some (obviously more accurate) Kaiyodo minis or something of the like eventually, but I honestly still like our inaccurate, goofy friends here. Browsing eBay, I've found a lot of charming, colorful figurines that have piqued my interest. BUT, I've got a set of those Boley knockoffs coming in the mail soon to try out repainting for the first time!

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Paleona on March 20, 2022, 08:56:06 PM

OH wow, that Cloth in the back. We had something quite similar as a Sofa in the Living Room in the early 90s :D Hell, a LOT was with these. I guess it was a Sofa bought in the late 80s :D

I mean, nothing dramatic. It just went directly in my head and i thought of this Sofa. :D

Paleona

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on March 09, 2023, 01:55:35 PM
Quote from: Paleona on March 20, 2022, 08:56:06 PMOH wow, that Cloth in the back. We had something quite similar as a Sofa in the Living Room in the early 90s :D Hell, a LOT was with these. I guess it was a Sofa bought in the late 80s :D

I mean, nothing dramatic. It just went directly in my head and i thought of this Sofa. :D

Haha, that fabric absolutely captures squiggle/geometric patterns from the 80's and 90's~ It's actually a t-shirt! Glad it made you nostalgic :')

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: