News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eatmycar

It looks like it'll go great with Andrea, but, it is very, very boring. After the last two paint jobs, I was hoping we'd see similar color palettes. Back to bland, though. The lack of lips is also a big mark against it frankly, but I have to imagine this was designed well before the lip paper dropped so that's not the worst thing.

The skull of Sue is a great inclusion though. Not all of these museum line pieces get good accessories like this, or the baby Torosaurus... and some get none. So, that's a plus.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Eatmycar on May 22, 2023, 07:27:57 AMIt looks like it'll go great with Andrea, but, it is very, very boring. After the last two paint jobs, I was hoping we'd see similar color palettes. Back to bland, though. The lack of lips is also a big mark against it frankly, but I have to imagine this was designed well before the lip paper dropped so that's not the worst thing.

The skull of Sue is a great inclusion though. Not all of these museum line pieces get good accessories like this, or the baby Torosaurus... and some get none. So, that's a plus.

it doesnt help the boringness that the eofauna T rex is on the way this year, one that has lips and even a free removable base and almost certainly will be cheaper than this new wilson ( in my country wilson goes for 80+)

TheImmortalEye

as i sadly expected an " improved " Wilson with the scale detail is basicly the zhuschengtyrannus but bigger and u pay double for it, we saw how pnso does t rexes now with andrea( as said they dont believe theropods have lips and do not budge much ) , only getting this as a sale in half a year but sad another month waiting for a new release.

doesnt help eofaunas is on the way this year, will be cheaper , have lips and even plumage, free base and a (likely) more daring color sheme. not to mention almost certainly cheaper as museumlines overpriced.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Can anybody share the link where Mr.Zhao Chuang has discussed about the model in Chinese?

SRF

I'm actually happy that PNSO uses the same colors for all their T. Rex figures. It makes them display compatible with one another.
But today, I'm just being father

Medzo

Exactly what I was waiting for. Wallet opened.

Remko

Quote from: SRF on May 22, 2023, 08:07:09 AMI'm actually happy that PNSO uses the same colors for all their T. Rex figures. It makes them display compatible with one another.

I agree. And will be adding this figure to my collection as well. Although it's not on top of my list.

PNSO also teased something about Pterosaurs on their Instagram page. Probably more like how they lived and how to draw them, but perhaps we might see some figures in the future.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsgY5QuLNf6/?igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==

Paleo Flo

Hmmm. It's a kind boring to me. Will wait for the Eofauna One
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Gwangi

I see that this one is named Cameron, not Wilson.

Aside from still lacking lips Cameron is a significant improvement over the most recent Wilson. But, it's also a museum line figure and like others have pointed out, Eofauna's is on the way. I'll wait for EoFauna's and if I end up needing a PNSO tyrannosaur then I'll just buy the Zhuchengtyrannus.

Not having lips is increasingly becoming a deal breaker. And PNSO makes way too much of the tooth visible. The teeth on Cameron look like a Mattel toy.

Flaffy

I mean, it looks nice. But it doesn't scream "premium Museum series quality" to me. The globby teeth & claw paint is especially egregious in that regard; not a fan of the glossy single-toned mustardy keratin paint either, an issue I also have with the Giganotosaurus. I echo the sentiments of the chinese forums that the sculpt just doesn't have the same "power" behind it compared to the fantastic (and cheaper) Zhuchengtyrannus and Mapusaurus.

Would I replace Wilson with this new rex? Yes. But am I in a rush to do so? Not particularly. There are plenty of other more exciting releases that I need to catch up on before yet another Tyrannosaurus. If this release had been lipped I absolutely would've jumped to acquiring this. But PNSO kinda set themselves up for failure here. They've peddled the lipless-train for so long that it would be stylystically inconsistent to suddenly have a megatheropod with lips, i.e. wouldn't display well with the current line-up. But without lips, nothing really stands out about this release other than "a really well done representation of a bulky Tyrannosaurus", which is a dime a dozen in the current market. Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Flaffy on May 22, 2023, 11:46:01 AMI mean, it looks nice. But it doesn't scream "premium Museum series quality" to me. The globby teeth & claw paint is especially egregious in that regard; not a fan of the glossy single-toned mustardy keratin paint either, an issue I also have with the Giganotosaurus. I echo the sentiments of the chinese forums that the sculpt just doesn't have the same "power" behind it compared to the fantastic (and cheaper) Zhuchengtyrannus and Mapusaurus.

Would I replace Wilson with this new rex? Yes. But am I in a rush to do so? Not particularly. There are plenty of other more exciting releases that I need to catch up on before yet another Tyrannosaurus. If this release had been lipped I absolutely would've jumped to acquiring this. But PNSO kinda set themselves up for failure here. They've peddled the lipless-train for so long that it would be stylystically inconsistent to suddenly have a megatheropod with lips, i.e. wouldn't display well with the current line-up. But without lips, nothing really stands out about this release other than "a really well done representation of a bulky Tyrannosaurus", which is a dime a dozen in the current market. Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

i would just buy it when its on sale, otherwise im sorry but while wilso has its flaws, it always felt made with a passion and care, the scales were more overeager than lazy, this one feels sorta basic and conservative, a moneymaker as they come. i wont replace my wilson as we have history but itll move places for this one just to match the newer pnsos

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Gwangi on May 22, 2023, 11:44:49 AMI see that this one is named Cameron, not Wilson.

Not having lips is increasingly becoming a deal breaker. And PNSO makes way too much of the tooth visible. The teeth on Cameron look like a Mattel toy.

since this is brought up often, for better or worse pnso seemingly now REALLY digs into believing dinosaurs have no lips, this extends to even species who almost certainly had them ( iguanodon) . the talking points and arguments are mentioned in the old wilson video explaination and havent changed.

Medzo

I think this lip thing is a very sidetracking argument for this figure. Remember, all the previous theropod releases were lipless. Creating a tyrannosaur with lips would create a totally new line for purely PNSO collectors, like myself.

For this reason I'd have not bought it with lips.

I myself totally in love with these in-hand pictures. All I want now is a Museum Line Essien, after that I'm totally on board for more niched genus releases.

Cretaceous Crab

While disappointed that PNSO is anti-lips, the silver lining is that there are less figures I feel compelled to purchase from them.

postsaurischian

My enthusiasm is keeping within limits :-\ .

ceratopsian

I hope to be surprised at some point down the line by something from PNSO so stunning and unexpected that it makes me catch my breath when I first see it, the way their Deinocheirus did. But I'm happy to hang on until then!

Concavenator

Quote from: SRF on May 21, 2023, 05:11:51 PMThe fact that PNSO releases a new T. Rex on the same date Prehistoric Planet 2 airs shows that the new CEO knows how to market his products and to choose the right moments for it. Looking forward to PNSO's future.

Austroraptor is also featured on Prehistoric Planet 2. I hope that will influence PNSO to make a figure of it, dromaeosaurids are underrepresented on the market and among dromaeosaurids, unenlagiines are some of the most overlooked.

As for this Tyrannosaurus - easy pass. No reason for me to pick this one over Eofauna's when the latter has lips and will probably cost half as much as this PNSO.

I wonder if this Tyrannosaurus means the start of a streak of tyrannosaurids, after all we got the Meraxes and the Mapusaurus after the Giganotosaurus. Not the most exciting thing in the world, but Gorgosaurus is the most remarkable tyrannosaurid that doesn't have a really good figure yet (BotM aside). Would appreciate one, though then again Safari will probably release one at some point with lips... In any case, curious to see the next release, hopefully they turn their attention to other groups.

Also, I'd rather they started giving their theropods lips at some point (hopefully sooner than later) than they never do just because that would create "an inconsistency" with their other theropods. If PNSO really wanted to stay consistent, we would still be getting figures with oversized scales. Naturally, when they started applying a more subtle scaling work, that created an inconsistency when you display those newer figures with older ones (for example, see Wilson alongside Andrea), but I guess we can all agree it was a good change. So same goes for the lips. Hopefully they won't represent sauropods with exposed teeth either, they look even more cursed than theropods without lips do imo.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on May 22, 2023, 12:12:00 PMI think this lip thing is a very sidetracking argument for this figure. Remember, all the previous theropod releases were lipless. Creating a tyrannosaur with lips would create a totally new line for purely PNSO collectors, like myself.

For this reason I'd have not bought it with lips.

I myself totally in love with these in-hand pictures. All I want now is a Museum Line Essien, after that I'm totally on board for more niched genus releases.

i cant deny its beatifuel and i respect ur enthusiasm alot in here, i personally just dont feel 80 dollars excited for it, esp since zhuschengtyrannus is just such a banger and the eofauna is beyond promising even if it comes in late fall at worst.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: