News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Wow! I was sure that they would replace that corn-cob-scuted-and-tripping-over Wilson, because almost everyone saw that, but I'm amazed HOW QUICK they have redone the tyrannosaurus! :o

Yeah, yeah, they have changed the name so it won't be a "Wilson",  ::) but they do have corrected almost everything that was wrong in it and looks much better. So I'm very pleased ... because they listen to the collectors!  ^-^ Better scales, similar to the Zhuchengtyrannus in sculpt, lovely pose, not falling over (with that too far back stride with full planted foot).
I see nothing wrong in the colours, they are perfect so they match with the other tyrannosaurus (it would look perfect with Andrea). I see that they have kept the exposed teeth so to keep the tendence of their lipless theropods but ... it's never too late for changes, is it?

It won't rival my Kiss with its lips, bulky body and size, but it looks very good. Maybe those teeth are very distracting with that size and fully closed mouth (reminds me of some Mattel JP rex). If I had the money I would buy it, and Eofauna's too.

Faras

Quote from: Concavenator on May 22, 2023, 12:36:18 PMNot the most exciting thing in the world, but Gorgosaurus is the most remarkable tyrannosaurid that doesn't have a really good figure yet (BotM aside).

Soon maybe...  ;)  ;)  ;)

Bread

Quote from: Medzo on May 22, 2023, 12:12:00 PMI think this lip thing is a very sidetracking argument for this figure. Remember, all the previous theropod releases were lipless. Creating a tyrannosaur with lips would create a totally new line for purely PNSO collectors, like myself.

For this reason I'd have not bought it with lips.
Not so much of a sidetracking argument, but more so of a new near set in stone idea for therapods to possess lips. I understand the annoyance to have even recent PNSO therapods to not have lips and then a new therapod releases with lips, would be unappealing amongst the shelves for some collectors like myself.

However, with this in mind, change is inevitable. So at one point this may be bound to happen.

I feel conflicted with this Tyrannosaurus. On one hand, it is an improvement, but a minor one at that. If the over textured skin plus a minor change of the facial keratin was necessary enough, why would they just simply give it a bland colorscheme and nothing too different from all the other Tyrannosaurus figures we have? Plus it already lacks lips, so it goes straight with the others who lack lips...

Even a feather mane would drive people to buy it BECAUSE it is something different.

I am fine with this Tyrannosaurus. I actually think it looks good, other than the lack of lips, but I just want something different.

Skorpio V.

Insane!!

I think if it had a pose more akin to their Meraxes, more upright, it'd leave people a bit less underwhelmed. Since it echoes the lunging pose of Wilson, it feels like Cameron is in his shadow a lot more, especially since they share colour schemes. A splash of red or black on the crests would have enhanced Cameron, regardless of their gender. Love the jaw paint though that striping on the paler tone looks really good.

One thing that I find concerning is the kink upwards in the tail when viewed from Cameron's left side. I'm sure some hot-water bending would fix it since it's subtle but do we know the extents Tyrannosaur tails could bend?

Anyway, this would have been a must-buy if it came out three years ago, but I'm not overly surprised by Cameron and I'm not overly surprised by the forum's lukewarm reaction to it either.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Medzo

Interesting to see that the market fastened so much that a newly released T-Rex already seems outdated for many collectors.

I totally understand the sentiment behind these comments. I think that this one was created exactly for the reason I've been waiting for: To have T-rex more compatible with the releases of the past 1,5 years.

I feel that a new Spino and Carno is on the way as well. The increased design and production quality simply makes these reimplementations a never ending money grab potential.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Concavenator on May 22, 2023, 12:36:18 PM
Quote from: SRF on May 21, 2023, 05:11:51 PMThe fact that PNSO releases a new T. Rex on the same date Prehistoric Planet 2 airs shows that the new CEO knows how to market his products and to choose the right moments for it. Looking forward to PNSO's future.

Austroraptor is also featured on Prehistoric Planet 2. I hope that will influence PNSO to make a figure of it, dromaeosaurids are underrepresented on the market and among dromaeosaurids, unenlagiines are some of the most overlooked.

Also, I'd rather they started giving their theropods lips at some point (hopefully sooner than later) than they never do just because that would create "an inconsistency" with their other theropods. If PNSO really wanted to stay consistent, we would still be getting figures with oversized scales. Naturally, when they started applying a more subtle scaling work, that created an inconsistency when you display those newer figures with older ones (for example, see Wilson alongside Andrea), but I guess we can all agree it was a good change. So same goes for the lips. Hopefully they won't represent sauropods with exposed teeth either, they look even more cursed than theropods without lips do imo.

ur correct about the scales but when it comes to lips PNSO does not do them cause it and mainly its paleoartist are convinced they didnt have them , heres their arguments in short summary ( pls dont dogpile me im mainly pro lips aswell but its worth having the debate)

-extant archeosaurs dont have " lips", crocs have exposed teeth and birds have connective fleshy tissues not lips, so lips would be a more special trait to evolve .

- theropods specificly now - i cant look up the exact article as im at work but the study of facial biting in tyrannosaurs , which were suprisingly brutal and lips would make the wounds to the soft tissue quite extreme ,while lipless would simply scrape hard scales.

- tooth alignment ( pnsos favourite) : some fossil skulls have "indentations" on the upper jaw , where the lower jaws slide into quite well, pnso believes thats how the jaw worked and therefore only the upper more robust jaws were exposed and didnt need lips to protect them.

-Crocs: pretty simple some asian scientist believe dinosaurs are more croclike than birdlike and therefore exposed teeth are sorta a given to the depictions.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Skorpio V. on May 22, 2023, 01:04:31 PMInsane!!

I think if it had a pose more akin to their Meraxes, more upright, it'd leave people a bit less underwhelmed. Since it echoes the lunging pose of Wilson, it feels like Cameron is in his shadow a lot more, especially since they share colour schemes. A splash of red or black on the crests would have enhanced Cameron, regardless of their gender. Love the jaw paint though that striping on the paler tone looks really good.

One thing that I find concerning is the kink upwards in the tail when viewed from Cameron's left side. I'm sure some hot-water bending would fix it since it's subtle but do we know the extents Tyrannosaur tails could bend?

Anyway, this would have been a must-buy if it came out three years ago, but I'm not overly surprised by Cameron and I'm not overly surprised by the forum's lukewarm reaction to it either.

its not really a bend its more of a low swung and yes they almost certainly could do that since otherwise it would be horrible anatomy ( they need to be able to move in nature, sleep and move through difficult terrain while balancing. i find it kinda ugly too though ngl didnt love it on the meraxes too

Medzo

Well this lips debate was discussed countless of times and if I followed the topic correctly some new papers were released since, with pro-lips models. That's about that. At this point everyone more or less is pro-lips.

I'd accept PNSO theropod releases with lips in case of a full rebrand of the Prehistoric Animal and Museum Line.

New box arts, new bolder colours, feathering on necks, etc. And that way we could just wrap up the old ones as a quite complete OG series. Which is already a cult classic at this point.

I think the oversized scales were considered a "mistake" that needed to be corrected in a smooth way. Also I think the customers have voted with their money and PNSO smartly realised: the community needs uniform, 1:35 items.

TheImmortalEye

I think the oversized scales were considered a "mistake" that needed to be corrected in a smooth way. Also I think the customers have voted with their money and PNSO smartly realised: the community needs uniform, 1:35 items.
[/quote]

i can still never hate even the overscaled once since the first time i saw pnso i was blown away figures like this even exist. many museums have models and posters way more outdated than the winter wilson. again it is just the price theill sell this that is bonkers sometimes. esp with haolonggood making competition

Skorpio V.

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 22, 2023, 01:35:14 PM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on May 22, 2023, 01:04:31 PMOne thing that I find concerning is the kink upwards in the tail when viewed from Cameron's left side. I'm sure some hot-water bending would fix it since it's subtle but do we know the extents Tyrannosaur tails could bend?

its not really a bend its more of a low swung and yes they almost certainly could do that since otherwise it would be horrible anatomy ( they need to be able to move in nature, sleep and move through difficult terrain while balancing. i find it kinda ugly too though ngl didnt love it on the meraxes too

It's a lot more natural in the Meraxes, in Cameron it looks more disjointed and starts at an odd spot. It's not noticeable from the right side though. I was only asking because something this trivial was pinpointed on Sede the Ankylosaurus.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Skorpio V. on May 22, 2023, 01:47:43 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 22, 2023, 01:35:14 PM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on May 22, 2023, 01:04:31 PMOne thing that I find concerning is the kink upwards in the tail when viewed from Cameron's left side. I'm sure some hot-water bending would fix it since it's subtle but do we know the extents Tyrannosaur tails could bend?

It's a lot more natural in the Meraxes, in Cameron it looks more disjointed and starts at an odd spot. It's not noticeable from the right side though. I was only asking because something this trivial was pinpointed on Sede the Ankylosaurus.

sorry if i came off judgemental or smth, and yes meraxes is lower but both def possible, since even andreas tailpose is, charcharos as far as i know had way more stiff tales than tyrannosaurs aswell. sedes problem is that this is def an impossible pose for the bones to hold permanently if noninjured- tail was straight as a board with movement side to side.

Takama

Well I Guess Im the only one whos disapointed that its another T.rex.    Unlike The Vast Majority here, I was content with my 2020 "CORN COB" Wilson
and was eagerly anticipating somthing that they have yet to make. ::)

I want my Dromeosaurs and Sauropods PNSO.

Faelrin

I'll admit the Sue skull accessory is quite a bit of an interesting inclusion, and a tempting one. At least this T. rex is based on another specimen too, from Wilson, and Andrea I think. That said I still stand by what I said earlier (sloppy paint, lipless, etc).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

I actually quite like how the figure looks in-hand (minus the more simplistic touches of paint) and the inclusion of a Sue skull is awesome! Will probably end up picking one of these up for my PNSO shelf but will be holding off until it's on sale.

Concavenator

avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye Yeah, I know they believe theropods lacked lips, but so many people are against it that it's just costing them sales at this point. So I think that at some point they will have to start giving their theropods lips even if it's just to keep up with the lipped offerings from other companies. Eofauna were against lips too, but they seem to have understood the situation and now their upcoming T. rex is lipped. Even one of the newer Rebor versions has lips despite otherwise, not being as anatomically good as this new PNSO.

Also, what's odd about PNSO is that some theropods from their artwork do have lips. For example, check out their Acrocanthosaurus and Sinraptor artworks. If they truly believe theropods lacked lips, why do they represent them with lips in said artworks? In that case, you'd expect all their art to be lipless (both figures and paintings).

Remko

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 22, 2023, 12:04:35 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 22, 2023, 11:44:49 AMI see that this one is named Cameron, not Wilson.

Not having lips is increasingly becoming a deal breaker. And PNSO makes way too much of the tooth visible. The teeth on Cameron look like a Mattel toy.

since this is brought up often, for better or worse pnso seemingly now REALLY digs into believing dinosaurs have no lips, this extends to even species who almost certainly had them ( iguanodon) . the talking points and arguments are mentioned in the old wilson video explaination and havent changed.

I'm not sure about that.

The original Lucas the Giganotosaurus from a few years back has lips with the teeth fully covered when the mouth is closed.

Problem is, the mouth doesn't look good when closed. It looks lile a senior citizen forgot to put his fake teeth in...
So perhaps they just have a difficulty with sculpting lipped theropods / dinosaurs. Drcided that it was easier / betterlooking figures, to just not include lips, and keep producing that.

Because the Lingwulong also has some kind of lips and even a beak.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Concavenator on May 22, 2023, 02:48:52 PMavatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye Yeah, I know they believe theropods lacked lips, but so many people are against it that it's just costing them sales at this point. So I think that at some point they will have to start giving their theropods lips even if it's just to keep up with the lipped offerings from other companies. Eofauna were against lips too, but they seem to have understood the situation and now their upcoming T. rex is lipped. Even one of the newer Rebor versions has lips despite otherwise, not being as anatomically good as this new PNSO.

Also, what's odd about PNSO is that some theropods from their artwork do have lips. For example, check out their Acrocanthosaurus and Sinraptor artworks. If they truly believe theropods lacked lips, why do they represent them with lips in said artworks? In that case, you'd expect all their art to be lipless (both figures and paintings).

u have good points, the artwork i think is commissioned and varys by alot.
one note: rebor chooses a please all and usually doesnt really care about accuracy, eofauna i dont think was against lips? even the old giga has lips sorta , mouth just doesnt fully close to show it, but they dont have the " slot in " pnsos jaws have.
also not all sales come from us super dino fans, most come from inland and asia tends towards lipless in most education still,

aswell as some enjoy them regardless. since it isnt ( and never truly will be ) settled if they had lips i dont care too much-personally .

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's just a very similar one to a model I already have in my collection and I don't feel like spending extra for a Museum line figure this time for a slight upgrade.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Remko on May 22, 2023, 02:57:21 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 22, 2023, 12:04:35 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 22, 2023, 11:44:49 AMI see that this one is named Cameron, not Wilson.

Because the Lingwulong also has some kind of lips and even a beak.

the lingwulong ngl makes me loose sleep at night XD . cause ur right and wrong, it does have skincovering lips and also the pseudobeak, yet they decided to have the upper teeth stick out as if its lipless....while having the beak. so jeah im no blind defender idk wtf they sometimes thinking

Concavenator

avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye Pretty sure that artwork is theirs too. Also, the Eofauna Giganotosaurus lacks lips and they didn't support the idea of theropods having lips back then:

Quote from: Eofauna on October 04, 2018, 06:01:13 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 04, 2018, 05:46:33 PMHmm, would also have loved to see something more obscure.... Giganotosaurus seems to be the new black... or better Rex in our cause. However, I like the fact it seems to stand on its finely proportioned feet without a stand and that it comes in a subdued but not unattractive paint job, fitting for a creature that size in my opinion. What I wonder though.... does it have lips, are the teeth covered once the mouth is closed? And which sauropod figure can I reasoanbly pose next to it? PNSO Huanghetitan should work as a stand in for Argentinosaurus, probably?

Well, lips are only restricted to mammals, there is no diapsid with lips. Said this, as you asked, if the teeth are covered when mouth closed, there aren't, this is because we follow the last study of Carr et al. (2017) who found that the texture in crocodylians jaw is very similar to that of tyrannosaurids (and probably other large theropods), and therefore suggesting a similar functional mechanism in jaws and no "lips". However, the debate is open, and until more evidence or conclusive studies are published, both options are valid.

R @Remko Good point, if anything the transition you would expect is No lips > Lips, not the other way around!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: